VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 47320 of 52813, by RetroPC_King

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I got 3 optical drives. All of them are on ATAPI interface.
The following optical drives that I got are in the following order (top to bottom):
-black LG GCR-8480B 48X CD-ROM Drive (Compaq OEM)
-white ASUS DRW-1608P 16x DVD writer (a OEM Pioneer DVR-109 made for ASUS)
-white Ultima Electronics CHM-54 54X CD-ROM drive (this one unfortunately is in somehow bad shape, bezel somehow comes out)

Any opinions about what I got today?

Late Edit: I wanted to test that ASUS DRW-1608P. The person that had it said that is working, but I connected to a PSU and it receives power, but didn't open door or i hear the lens seeking. Any solutions? I opened it up.

Attachments

• 20221219_220727.jpg
    Filename
    20221219_220727.jpg
    File size
    1.01 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by RetroPC_King on 2022-12-20, 05:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 47321 of 52813, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This ASUS P3B-F and 800mhz P3 came in recently , I'm planning on doing an upgrade for my second rig.

20221219_220701.jpg
Filename
20221219_220701.jpg
File size
1.88 MiB
Views
File license
20221219_220652.jpg
Filename
20221219_220652.jpg
File size
1.86 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 47322 of 52813, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

found at a thrift store, 2 dollars.

Attachments

Reply 47323 of 52813, by Legno74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone! This is my first post on vogons!!!

I've been reading you for a while and you're a fantastic community!!

Friday I received this package that I bought from ebay.

It cost me 70€ shipping included... ... maybe too much but...

...obviously the most interesting piece and that made me decide to buy the lot is the ASUS P3B-F !!

It was indicated as everything to be tested.... I hope it works the P3-F...

...otherwise I'll have to pretend to have gone to the restaurant !!! ;-P

Attachments

Last edited by Legno74 on 2022-12-20, 21:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 47324 of 52813, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Legno74 wrote on 2022-12-20, 09:44:

Friday I received this package that I bought from ebay.

Very cool stuff!

I see lots of nice looking Slot 1 boards. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but in recent years I recall any Slot 1 board with 3 or more ISA slots being more desirable\valuable than others. The vast majority of Slot 1 boards only have 2 ISA slots, so the fact that you got three of them (one being an old school AT form factor as well) is pretty crazy. If any are also 440BX boards then you've got quite a haul there.

And the ECS K7S5A is a great Socket A board (as long as the caps are okay) with support for a wide range of CPUs using a third party BIOS.

You even have some generic boxed cards there, which are always neat to find. 😁

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 47325 of 52813, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And all that, in that teeny tiny cardboard box ? 😲
It's a miracle that those motherboards did not end up as a jumble of broken parts! 😆

(and I see the sender is some kind of magician, writing that oh-so-pointless magic word on the side...)

Ok, so yes, I am (still) ever so slightly bitter about all those half-broken cards and boards I've received over the years due to 'optimistic' packaging.

Reply 47327 of 52813, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Legno74 wrote on 2022-12-20, 09:44:

Welcome - hope you have fun with your recent retro acquisitions!

Just a heads-up - you might want to delete or edit the picture showing the package as the shipping information is still visible.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 47329 of 52813, by Legno74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-12-20, 11:56:

That's a really good haul. Is this just a large purchase or your first major purchase of vintage gear?

It is a grsso purchase, but not the first. Usually, however, I do not purchase lots of goods single parts.

bestemor wrote on 2022-12-20, 10:48:
And all that, in that teeny tiny cardboard box ? 😲 It's a miracle that those motherboards did not end up as a jumble of broken p […]
Show full quote

And all that, in that teeny tiny cardboard box ? 😲
It's a miracle that those motherboards did not end up as a jumble of broken parts! 😆

(and I see the sender is some kind of magician, writing that oh-so-pointless magic word on the side...)

Ok, so yes, I am (still) ever so slightly bitter about all those half-broken cards and boards I've received over the years due to 'optimistic' packaging.

When I saw the box I too feared the worst! The seller, however, made a very good packaging.

[/quote]
Very cool stuff!

I see lots of nice looking Slot 1 boards. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but in recent years I recall any Slot 1 board with 3 or more ISA slots being more desirable\valuable than others. The vast majority of Slot 1 boards only have 2 ISA slots, so the fact that you got three of them (one being an old school AT form factor as well) is pretty crazy. If any are also 440BX boards then you've got quite a haul there.

And the ECS K7S5A is a great Socket A board (as long as the caps are okay) with support for a wide range of CPUs using a third party BIOS.

You even have some generic boxed cards there, which are always neat to find. 😁
[/quote]

Thanks, apart from the P3B-Fle others are "just" LX chipsets But between these and video cards I'm satisfied! As already mentioned, I will have to test them before singing victory

[/quote]

Welcome - hope you have fun with your recent retro acquisitions!

Just a heads-up - you might want to delete or edit the picture showing the package as the shipping information is still visible.
[/quote]

Thanks for the report, I had missed it.

I'm an enthusiast like you, my first PC was an Olivetti PC1 in '87. There was born the passion that then became a job....... But this is a story that requires a dedicated post.
Anyway I kept aside many cards and computers I hope soon to make other posts where to show my modest and common pc, especially an AT saved from the landfill that turned out to be a jewel!

Thanks again for the welcome!!

Reply 47331 of 52813, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Toshiba 200 CDT to try a repair on my 200 CDS
Unfortunately there was extensive water damage. Some parts are green and hard as rock, ate some pins and a few smd came off. 🙁
Keyboards flat cable has rotten traces, and I needed that to try if it was a dead keyb giving out the no keyb error.
On the bright side I got a maxed out ram card and a second working psu (it's inside the laptop).

I now have a few more chip sto try a transplant on the "let's see if it was that" suicide mission.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 47332 of 52813, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gmaverick2k wrote on 2022-12-20, 22:22:

Z440 and e5-2699 v3

Nice, but commenting on CPU:

Standard clock is 2.3GHz, all cores is 2.8GHz turbo till 10 cores, then switches over to 9 cores at 2.9GHz and descending cores to 3.6GHz at one core, this depends on how good cooling is determines how much turbo time is spent if so much cores used, the time spent at turbo times out back to 2.3GHz till budget is built up back up then switches onto turbo. You can adopt high end Noctua cooler and ground one pin on the motherboard's heatsink connector using different fan of your choice will help with keeping at turbo longer.

This is for actual cores. Not the threads.

If this is for very very bound cores for commercial software like rendering images, heavy computing then that's good, but for gaming, not so hot due to 2.8GHz all cores. What's your intended use? Games favors best GHz across certain number of cores but sees diminishing returns past 8 actual cores unless there is newer games.

Incidentally, Z440 also can take broadwell processor as well.

I swapped out the Z420's stock 3 heat pipe heatsink for Z440's 4 heatpipe heatsink, in this process I knocked off E5-2667 V2 CPU heat by around 10C.

Cheers,

Last edited by pentiumspeed on 2022-12-21, 00:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 47333 of 52813, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can finally add a golden boy to the collection.

CF01D533-1EB4-48F3-BBC5-589A0CBED08A.jpeg
Filename
CF01D533-1EB4-48F3-BBC5-589A0CBED08A.jpeg
File size
464.49 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 47334 of 52813, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-12-20, 23:52:
Nice, but commenting on CPU: […]
Show full quote

Z440 and e5-2699 v3

Standard clock is 2.3GHz, all cores is 2.8GHz turbo till 10 cores, then switches over to 9 cores at 2.9GHz and descending cores to 3.6GHz at one core, this depends on how good cooling is determines how much turbo time is spent if so much cores used, the time spent at turbo times out back to 2.3GHz till budget is built up back up then switches onto turbo. You can adopt high end Noctua cooler and ground one pin on the motherboard's heatsink connector using different fan of your choice will help with keeping at turbo longer.

If this is for very very bound cores for commercial software like rendering images, heavy computing then that's good, but for gaming, not so hot due to 2.8GHz all cores. What's your intended use? Games favors best GHz across certain number of cores but sees diminishing returns past 8 actual cores unless there is newer games.

I swapped out the Z420's stock 3 heat pipe heatsink for Z440's 4 heatpipe heatsink, in this process I knocked off E5-2667 V2 CPU heat by around 10C.

Cheers,

Wanted a Ryzen build for a while 3600/5600 on the cheap to replace my 3570k. Missed out on some mb+CPU deals on eBay. Went for this instead to replace my thinkcentre e72 without usb3.0. Will miss internal speakers. Heaviest demanding app is Chrome playing 4k60 YouTube. Excel and other office apps don't really tax CPU. Was interested in the 45mb cache. I don't really game but want the horsepower there if I ever do open up a game. Philscomputerlabs and Brian from tech yes city approve of the 2699 v3

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 47335 of 52813, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gmaverick2k wrote on 2022-12-21, 04:44:
Show full quote

Z440 and e5-2699 v3

Cheers,

Wanted a Ryzen build for a while 3600/5600 on the cheap to replace my 3570k. Missed out on some mb+CPU deals on eBay. Went for this instead to replace my thinkcentre e72 without usb3.0. Will miss internal speakers. Heaviest demanding app is Chrome playing 4k60 YouTube. Excel and other office apps don't really tax CPU. Was interested in the 45mb cache. I don't really game but want the horsepower there if I ever do open up a game. Philscomputerlabs and Brian from tech yes city approve of the 2699 v3

If too many cores in use, the average frequency will be lower and is bothering you with slowness then. I suggest using the utility or windows's runtime on start up to limit cores to like 8 cores will bring up the frequency up. I did this to one USFF sandy bridge i5 was running slower, so I limited cores to 3 and this sped up the windows much.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 47336 of 52813, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BetaC wrote on 2022-12-21, 00:28:

I can finally add a golden boy to the collection.

Beautiful, I just bought the same CPU in similar condition.
Love these gold tops. When it comes to CPUs I love gold more than my wife does.

Reply 47337 of 52813, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-12-21, 16:29:
gmaverick2k wrote on 2022-12-21, 04:44:
Show full quote

Cheers,

If too many cores in use, the average frequency will be lower and is bothering you with slowness then. I suggest using the utility or windows's runtime on start up to limit cores to like 8 cores will bring up the frequency up. I did this to one USFF sandy bridge i5 was running slower, so I limited cores to 3 and this sped up the windows much.

Cheers,

I haven't recieved the items yet. I won a listing for the z440 32gb 700w version for £140 on eBay and bought an e5-2699 v3 separately for £100 again on eBay

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 47339 of 52813, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlessandroB wrote on 2022-12-21, 17:44:

I was thinking that only a 60&66mhz have golden version

I had a Pentium 90 gold top back in the day. Upgraded from a 486 so I could play Earthsiege at a smooth frame rate with all details up.