Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 49300 of 52764, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-05-27, 23:01:

an 8 bit floppy card with manual that can be set to secondary address, and supports HD floppies, then the ST-02 that also supports HD floppies, and has bootable SCSI interface.

I had a bit of an itch in the brain about that ST-02, quick google refs were telling me it had HD support, but there was a neuron going "But does it reallllly???" then found the ST-02 install guide on minus zero degrees that confirmed what I suspected... only when the system BIOS supports high density drives (ie not PC/XT and only 1.2 on XT286). The onboard BIOS does not have the extra floppy code patch. Anyhoo, since the controller is good for it, you can probably do some magic with drvparm or use a TSR to enable 1.2 and 1.44 reading under DOS 3.3 up, not bootable though on XT class. The other one seems good for it, it is after all solely a floppy card and has a BIOS. Just wondering though if that BIOS would support HD on the ST-02 if that was in as first floppy, and the other card set to second floppy. Hmmm.

Still nothing much about that SARC card, jumpers are "C/M" for the first, "PRT" for the next two and CG - EMU on the last. So gotta assume Color/Mono, LPT port address or IRQ settings, maybe both 5/7 320-340 or something, and CGA mode or Hercules emulation... I think maybe. Not sure if the header nearest the bracket gives you CGA composite out, or is lightpen only. Can anyone remind me what other manufacturers chips that some other SARC chips were relabels of?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 49301 of 52764, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-05-28, 17:48:

Still nothing much about that SARC card, jumpers are "C/M" for the first, "PRT" for the next two and CG - EMU on the last. So gotta assume Color/Mono, LPT port address or IRQ settings, maybe both 5/7 320-340 or something, and CGA mode or Hercules emulation... I think maybe. Not sure if the header nearest the bracket gives you CGA composite out, or is lightpen only. Can anyone remind me what other manufacturers chips that some other SARC chips were relabels of?

Some questions about a Hercules card

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 49302 of 52764, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote on 2023-05-28, 17:55:
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-05-28, 17:48:

Some questions about a Hercules card

Awesome, thanks very much, looks like it's gonna be that https://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/v/P-R/50414.htm I was searching SARC against Stason and TH99 databases, but I think it was a case of "Google knows better" and not recognizing it as a word. Also in visual search I probably didn't ping it because the VRAM looks like a square in the crappy microhouse drawing, especially at reduced size.

Need to determine at some point the limits of that "EMU" mode. Also the quality of the CGA. Got a 5155 PC Portable to fix up, might be a card that adds a little flexibility to that, instead of stock CGA only.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 49303 of 52764, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

new stash ... just arrived (fiday)
- pcie card x1300series / mic/ SB220 crative / hdd 160gb seagate 2.5"/512ddr2, +a PSU & AMD cooler

Attachments

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 49304 of 52764, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is my first hardware purchase in maybe six months, mostly because prices on old hardware skyrocketed for no reason all of a sudden locally, and also because my attention shifted to other hobbies in the last few months..

But then I came across this listed as faulty for about 10 bucks and I went for it. All that I needed to do to fix it was replace the CMOS battery, so that was a net win for me. It came with a Celeron 600 which is basically useless aside from maybe as a testing CPU.

PCPartner AP133MS3-C910.jpg
Filename
File size
683.66 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I need identification help with this. It seems to be a PCPartner AP133MS3-C910 however that model appears to have an onboard Ensoniq AudioPCI whereas this one has it unpopulated.. Also, the jumper locations are different compared to the motherboard, so I can't be sure what it is, exactly. Does anyone recognize the board?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 49305 of 52764, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check the BIOS string (2A69 or 6A69 for example).

btw that looks very similar to ACorp's 6VIA82P, except that one had 3 SDR slots and a SMSC SIO chip.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 49306 of 52764, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2023-05-29, 08:11:
This is my first hardware purchase in maybe six months, mostly because prices on old hardware skyrocketed for no reason all of […]
Show full quote

This is my first hardware purchase in maybe six months, mostly because prices on old hardware skyrocketed for no reason all of a sudden locally, and also because my attention shifted to other hobbies in the last few months..

But then I came across this listed as faulty for about 10 bucks and I went for it. All that I needed to do to fix it was replace the CMOS battery, so that was a net win for me. It came with a Celeron 600 which is basically useless aside from maybe as a testing CPU.

I need identification help with this. It seems to be a PCPartner AP133MS3-C910 however that model appears to have an onboard Ensoniq AudioPCI whereas this one has it unpopulated.. Also, the jumper locations are different compared to the motherboard, so I can't be sure what it is, exactly. Does anyone recognize the board?

you're probably right - but maybe you have a revision or something made with slight variation for a pc builder

i quite like those celerons, sure having a P3 is better but for a great many applications and even games it in practice does just fine - depends on your vision for a build and what you'd have running on it

Reply 49307 of 52764, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote on 2023-05-29, 08:41:

Check the BIOS string (2A69 or 6A69 for example).

btw that looks very similar to ACorp's 6VIA82P, except that one had 3 SDR slots and a SMSC SIO chip.

I tested it with a POST card but without a monitor, I'll check the BIOS string tonight.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 49308 of 52764, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought an Abit Kt7A-Raid motherboard with an AMD Athlon 1.2GHz CPU to replace the failing motherboard in my Gateway Select 1000 PC.

Sys1: Athlon64 X2 4400+, 2GB DDR400, 150GB WD Velociraptor, Radeon HD 3650 512MB AGP, MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, XP
Sys2: XP 2500+, 2GB/256MB DDR400, Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2, Radeon X800 XL 256MB, SB Audigy SB1394 SB0090, 80GB HDD, ME/XP
Have 3 more systems...

Reply 49309 of 52764, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
johnvosh wrote on 2023-05-29, 10:09:

Bought an Abit Kt7A-Raid motherboard with an AMD Athlon 1.2GHz CPU to replace the failing motherboard in my Gateway Select 1000 PC.

From what I've seen on Youtube... you might have to desolder one of the serial ports on the KT7A-RAID, as the original mobo seems to lack one of them, and from what I've also seen, the I/O "shield" is embedded into the chassis (so it's not removable) - same applied (somewhat) to my GP6-400 as well.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 49310 of 52764, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just got a Sony Vaio PCV-RX402 for small money in absolute untinkered condition and I now want to run a clean setup with Windows XP.

Luckily the drivers are still saved in a separate folder on the Harddrive but the original Sony Software is missing 🙁
... and unfortunately Sony stopped to provide any software Support (e.g. download) for legacy systems on 31. of March 2023 - bad luck for me 🙁 🙁

A call for assistance - maybe anyone here that has the original installation CD/DVD for a PCV-RX4xx model or any similar Vaio model of this period?

2303fb74-9fe9-4537-9679-01b47f51aa26.jpg
Filename
2303fb74-9fe9-4537-9679-01b47f51aa26.jpg
File size
136.69 KiB
Views
File comment
Sony Vaio PCV-RX402 (sellers image)
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 49311 of 52764, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So it turn's out that PSU (-from my last lot-buyed) had 2 bad cap's so not sure if it's ok (set it asside ) the rest of it worked. ( I think). total cost without shipping 10e

"A call for assistance - maybe anyone here that has the original installation CD/DVD for a PCV-RX4xx model or any similar Vaio model of this period?" - Ildonaldo , did you try the archive org site? should be original cd imgs there of vaio...

Last edited by ediflorianUS on 2023-05-30, 08:32. Edited 1 time in total.

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 49312 of 52764, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ediflorianUS wrote on 2023-05-29, 17:00:

So it turn's out that PSU (-from last lot) had 2 bad cap's so not sure if it's ok (set it asside ) the rest of it worked. ( I think). total cost without shipping .

Thank you, but it is not the PSU that ist the Problem, but the Software - I am looking for the original Installation-CD.

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 49313 of 52764, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote on 2023-05-29, 15:14:
johnvosh wrote on 2023-05-29, 10:09:

From what I've seen on Youtube... you might have to desolder one of the serial ports on the KT7A-RAID, as the original mobo seems to lack one of them, and from what I've also seen, the I/O "shield" is embedded into the chassis (so it's not removable) - same applied (somewhat) to my GP6-400 as well.

Why not just drill/Dremel out the extra I/O on the case instead of removing the I/O from the motherboard?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 49315 of 52764, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robert B wrote on 2023-05-29, 19:23:
Just a regular day at the "office". :D […]
Show full quote

Just a regular day at the "office". 😁

PRW-2023-040.jpg PRW-2023-041.jpg PRW-2023-042.jpg PRW-2023-043.jpg

wow all those boards and cases, looks like good condition stuff, boards ready to go

Reply 49316 of 52764, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got the first part of my upcoming win 98 system the Motherboard. Got a Gigabyte K8VT800M: I am also on the hunt for a cpu. I will either get a amd sempron 3100 or one of the athlon 64 CPU.

Reply 49317 of 52764, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This build with NexGen motherboard and quite not interesting parts otherwise inside...

I really like this case. It's as big as my modern LianLi Lancool III but I think It will be good suited for some ultimate mid-90s build. Maybe I will even leave the NexGen inside as it's board which apparently was originally installed in it.

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 49318 of 52764, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2023-05-29, 08:11:

This is my first hardware purchase in maybe six months ... listed as faulty for about 10 bucks... PCPartner AP133MS3-C910.jpg

I hope I wont offend you when I ask WHY? This is extreme budget pcchips level garbage with worst socket 370 level of performance possible with bad AGP implementation, and listed as broken at that. Why buy something like that? I fully understand collecting old high end gear, but parts that went by the millions into supermarket "deals"?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 49319 of 52764, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For me, it's because some of the low end stuff seems to have the survival potential of cockroaches, where some higher end stuff dies in mysterious ways that eternally confound fixing. Besides, as mature PC users we can step out of the "utterest piece of crap in the known universe and gave my gerbil cancer" mindset of describing how it was a couple of percent slower on a review back in the day. Also not expecting anything and futzing around with a cheapie and getting it running sweet is far far more satisfying than the equivalent amount of time "fighting" something high end until it works how it "should".