Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 49621 of 52820, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
schmatzler wrote on 2023-06-22, 14:48:
Yes, that information is outdated. The X7460 CPUs are supported by the Intel 7300 "Clarksboro" chipset, which this board has. Cl […]
Show full quote
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-06-22, 14:15:

I can only see information that this board supports up to quad cores? But that may be not updated info?

Yes, that information is outdated. The X7460 CPUs are supported by the Intel 7300 "Clarksboro" chipset, which this board has.
Clarksboro is a requirement for using these CPUs and the only chipset they can run on, officially.

You can find this information on the archived Intel website and here on cpu-upgrade.
Intel removed the "Compatible products" section from their current website for some reason.

There is still a small possibility that the BIOS doesn't support them (Supermicro never released an update for it, there is only one version).
If that is the case, I will be very disappointed.

Rest easy 😀 https://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=9206

Reply 49622 of 52820, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some really nice person saw me make a post about old hardware and he messaged me to tell me he had this old card and asked if I wanted it. I said OK and he ended up shipping it to me at no cost to myself > Then I found out he was shipping from Denmark and I said it was too expensive and I'd pay for shipping. He still refused.

Here is what he sent.

QMzxSYW.jpg

5wkAkHz.jpg

2CnGlQc.jpg

Reply 49623 of 52820, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome freebies, what a nice thing to happen (*flips out list of countries to test death ray on, crosses out Denmark* 🤣 )

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 49624 of 52820, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Law212 wrote on 2023-06-23, 14:05:

Some really nice person saw me make a post about old hardware and he messaged me to tell me he had this old card and asked if I wanted it. I said OK and he ended up shipping it to me at no cost to myself > Then I found out he was shipping from Denmark and I said it was too expensive and I'd pay for shipping. He still refused.

Here is what he sent.

nice workhorse cards plus edibles! that is a nice person indeed! 😀

Reply 49625 of 52820, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-06-23, 11:50:

Nice! I looked for other FAQ entries on that page and found hints to later beta BIOS releases for the X7QC3.

So I just asked the Supermicro support and they sent me the last one they made.
It's from June 2016, while revision 1.0 is from 2008. They supported this board for a long time.

Attaching both BIOSes here. I will also upload them to theretroweb later.

Attachments

• Filename
    12092011.rar
    File size
    612.01 KiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    7QC38088-BIOS.zip
    File size
    640.13 KiB
    Downloads
    46 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 49626 of 52820, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Law212 wrote on 2023-06-23, 14:05:
Some really nice person saw me make a post about old hardware and he messaged me to tell me he had this old card and asked if I […]
Show full quote

Here is what he sent.

QMzxSYW.jpg

5wkAkHz.jpg

2CnGlQc.jpg

Really a nice person for sure.

This remindes me of a computer i may write about here.. if I found time to.

About two decades ago i found a french 8bit computer in the trash. Thomson TO9 from 1985.
Unfortunately an important part was missing : optical pen. This computer uses a an optical pen for navigation in the GUI. I asked for info in a forum and a member shipped me two replacement optical pens for free. These parts would probably have been unobtainium anywhere online, because of the age of the computer and by the fact it is not as widespread as apple/commodore/ZX81/... systems.
Some time later, two caps exploded while I was using it and I stored it for more than a decade. I repaired it 6 month ago and it's now fully functional.

Maybe i could write about it in the "system specs" section. Even if it's not a PC.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 49628 of 52820, by Ricimer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2023-06-22, 23:11:

Wow, what are you doing for CPU cooling? Will it fit many ATX cases?

Currently it has two passive heatsinks, but I'm going to try and add some low noise 60mm fans (the fan headers are only rated at 80mA). I finished a passive dual P3 recently, but the heatsinks on those are double slot height and the Coppermines are half the PPro wattage.

For a case I'm thinking about the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, it has all the standoffs and space for the board. There is also the Fractal Define 2 XL (the 7 is 2mm too small), but I like the Gotek with the rotary dial that sticks out, so a door might not work.

Skalabala wrote on 2023-06-23, 01:13:

Wow thats awesome! But you need two black CPUs for that 1Gb of ram 😜
Are you going to try VOODOO 2 SLi in it?

I thought about the 1MB cpus, but not sure about VRM and PSU capacity. I will use a Corsair RM850 I already have and it has 150w on 3.3/5v.

Using it with a Quadro4 NVS 100, not the right era but cheap and I don't have a retro monitor. Viewing everything through a Datapath visionrgb at the moment, so dvi/vga out was what I wanted (and low power!).

Reply 49629 of 52820, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got an untested IBM 760ED notebook for little money. That's the one with the flip-up-keyboard.
Unfortunately it doesn't show any signs of life 🙁 So I'll probably sell it again for parts.

Reply 49630 of 52820, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanSolo wrote on 2023-06-25, 16:46:

Got an untested IBM 760ED notebook for little money. That's the one with the flip-up-keyboard.
Unfortunately it doesn't show any signs of life 🙁 So I'll probably sell it again for parts.

hi. How much for the IBM 760ED? do you need assistance in trying to fix it?

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 49631 of 52820, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pull out the expansion RAM board which you can get to from the slide off cover underneath, that's caused real problems on my Thinkpad 760EL - still can't get that working properly in fact. But it works okay without it.
The Thinkpad 760 series outputs some POST code information through the parallel port, if you've got a reader for that.

Also there's a NIMH battery hiding inside the keyboard part under the palm-rest plastic, which usually damages traces in the area.

Reply 49632 of 52820, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just saw a IBM FRU 29H9296 on eBay when I'm trying to see what the module looked like, trying to ID a couple of weird ones I got the other week.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 49633 of 52820, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well it started out as not retro. But bought a cheap GTX 1060 6gb and came home with this when I commented "Cool XPS" and the response from the seller was "want to take it"?
Dell XPS 730x H2C w/ i7-940, 2 500gb WD drives, a 8gb? Stick of Crucial Ballistic Elite 1866mhz, and a corrupt original A 1.0.0 bios that had issues until I disconnected all the front panel USB cables and updated the bios to the last offical 1.0.5 bios

Next up is maybe a Xeon swap and an Alienware Area 51 A11 bios upgrade

Attachments

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 49634 of 52820, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guillemot Maxi Studio ISIS. It came with the daughterboard for the breakout box, but not the box itself. Which is fine - it came up cheap and I was keen just to grab it for the Dream chip.

Guillemot Maxi Studio ISIS.jpg
Filename
File size
378.22 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 49635 of 52820, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-06-26, 07:12:

Guillemot Maxi Studio ISIS. It came with the daughterboard for the breakout box, but not the box itself. Which is fine - it came up cheap and I was keen just to grab it for the Dream chip.

Awesome MIDI card, but IIRC ESS Maestro lacks a hardware FM Synth. I'd have loved to score one as well, enjoy!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 49636 of 52820, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-06-26, 07:12:

nice one
I had 2 of these and both had detection issues , meaning the driver would not always detect the ESS chip and failed to load rendering the card useless
after random reboots it might work... tried 3~4 of different systems and always got this issue - no idea why
when it works it is nice though

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 49637 of 52820, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2023-06-25, 17:33:
Pull out the expansion RAM board which you can get to from the slide off cover underneath, that's caused real problems on my Thi […]
Show full quote

Pull out the expansion RAM board which you can get to from the slide off cover underneath, that's caused real problems on my Thinkpad 760EL - still can't get that working properly in fact. But it works okay without it.
The Thinkpad 760 series outputs some POST code information through the parallel port, if you've got a reader for that.
Also there's a NIMH battery hiding inside the keyboard part under the palm-rest plastic, which usually damages traces in the area.

ediflorianUS wrote on 2023-06-25, 17:18:

hi. How much for the IBM 760ED? do you need assistance in trying to fix it?

Thanks for the suggestions. Pulling out the RAM board, CD and HD drive and main battery didn't change anything.
What I think is strange is that it shows absolutely NO sign of life. I think next I'll try to measure the power supply (have to find the pinout first since it has 4 pins).
Then I'll take a look at the other battery.

Reply 49638 of 52820, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I finally have a working VIA C3 CPU. I also have a decent mATX Socket 370 board with ISA to go with it.. Time to but together a reverse sleeper mATX build 😁

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 49639 of 52820, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This rare graphics card. Apparently it's high res monochrome card which came with vertical monochrome monitor (which I don't have). Still super interesting piece of hardware for a price I paid.

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg