Reply 49920 of 52878, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pan069 wrote on 2023-07-28, 04:45:
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-07-27, 23:49:
pan069 wrote on 2023-07-27, 23:03:

Yeah, its a 3d printed thing. Is yours not? I wasn't aware it came with a metal bracket option, would definitely have gone for that. I ordered from Tindie. The order receipt doesn't specify details around the order.

Yes, I got the metal bracket. I bought mine via Ebay. They had separate listings for metal brackets for their cards.

Their listing says they still have two metal brackets in stock, so you could probably still order one if you wanted.

Ah, right. I am not going to pay $38.50USD + shipping to AU for a metal bracket 🤣. I'll stick with the slimsy 3d printed one... 😀

Oh, I agree it's quite pricey. But it's also indicative of the costs of low-volume custom metal fabrication (esp. if they're having it done locally). That sort of thing is not cheap.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 49921 of 52878, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just bought a Roland MT-300S for $30. It was sold as a music learning aid, but it has general midi, so I think it could work as a poor man's SC-55. There isn't a ton of information about this model, but some people have used it for DOS games. It seems like it's a bit flaky, but does work well for some games. Roland has even been kind enough to host the manual on their website, despite this being from the 90s.

roland_mt300s.jpg
Filename
roland_mt300s.jpg
File size
965.25 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 49922 of 52878, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you using an MPU-401 card, SoftMPU, or the Roland UM-One MKII MIDI2USB adapter? And $30 for that? You, my friend, hit the luck lottery.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 49923 of 52878, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2023-07-29, 01:19:

Are you using an MPU-401 card, SoftMPU, or the Roland UM-One MKII MIDI2USB adapter? And $30 for that? You, my friend, hit the luck lottery.

I've never played around with midi hardware, so I haven't figured out the details yet. My main retro rig has a sound card with a game port. I plan on getting a DB15-to-MIDI cable to use with it. I would like to use a raspberry pi as a virtual mt-32/midi device, so I also plan on picking up that USB to midi adapter that you mentioned. I'm excited to try this out. I only had pc speaker for most of my childhood, so this will be a treat for me.

Reply 49924 of 52878, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't forget: games tend to run on Intelligent mode and the MIDI IRQ needs to be set to 2/9 since a lot of games don't like anything that is not IRQ 2/9. Speaking from experience.

For SoftMPU, http://bjt42.github.io/softmpu/ is where you'll get the latest version. I've used this for years and the one game I would play didn't have all of its music, so I switched the code around, posted the version here on Vogons, and the version he compiled fixed that exact issue.

Basically coded from DOSBox's line of code and it's a nice alternative to an MPU-401 card. However, my 386 and 486 all have MPU-401 cards and they're amazing. The one game requires delay for the SYSEX due to my MT-32 complaining about it, but I have it set to mark the program for the TSR and close when I exit the game so my system doesn't crash on me.

Reply 49925 of 52878, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2023-07-29, 02:06:

Don't forget: games tend to run on Intelligent mode and the MIDI IRQ needs to be set to 2/9 since a lot of games don't like anything that is not IRQ 2/9. Speaking from experience.

For SoftMPU, http://bjt42.github.io/softmpu/ is where you'll get the latest version. I've used this for years and the one game I would play didn't have all of its music, so I switched the code around, posted the version here on Vogons, and the version he compiled fixed that exact issue.

Basically coded from DOSBox's line of code and it's a nice alternative to an MPU-401 card. However, my 386 and 486 all have MPU-401 cards and they're amazing. The one game requires delay for the SYSEX due to my MT-32 complaining about it, but I have it set to mark the program for the TSR and close when I exit the game so my system doesn't crash on me.

Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I didn't think that I needed SoftMPU, but I'll check that out. I haven't done much research yet, but wanted to grab the device before any else does.

Reply 49926 of 52878, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The ONLY games that need intelligent mode are most of the ones that use the MT-32. General MIDI games have no need for intelligent mode at all.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 49927 of 52878, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-07-29, 00:22:

Just bought a Roland MT-300S for $30. It was sold as a music learning aid, but it has general midi, so I think it could work as a poor man's SC-55. There isn't a ton of information about this model, but some people have used it for DOS games. It seems like it's a bit flaky, but does work well for some games. Roland has even been kind enough to host the manual on their website, despite this being from the 90s.

roland_mt300s.jpg

Cool. I have one of those... I used to have it in my kids' room to play music for them. Just load up a floppy with good MIDI files and stick it in shuffle mode.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 49928 of 52878, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-07-29, 02:34:
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-07-29, 00:22:

roland_mt300s.jpg

Cool. I have one of those... I used to have it in my kids' room to play music for them. Just load up a floppy with good MIDI files and stick it in shuffle mode.

That's cool. Get them interested in older tech while they are young!

Reply 49929 of 52878, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-07-29, 02:33:

The ONLY games that need intelligent mode are most of the ones that use the MT-32. General MIDI games have no need for intelligent mode at all.

Oh, yeah. You're right. I haven't used my machines in 2 years and I gotta fix up my room and have it as a computer lab.

Reply 49931 of 52878, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Random thrifting thoughts...

So do Goodwill move "stale" stock around between stores at all?? ... Just Thursday I was in a GW and saw a compaq keyboard in a Fellows MM KB box, and I swear I saw that same thing in another Goodwill in the town over a month prior. It feels that that particular combo was a bit hard to mistake, and very high odds of it occurring organically. Maybe it was returned to this location? I don't know if they do cross store returns, but all the GW in this area are in the same group or region or whatever they call it.

Wasn't much for me there that day, did pick up a DMS 59 to VGA splitter in case my HD3450 cards ever need it. Already got a VGA for one card and a DVI for the other... Wondering though whether to carve one of them up, to use the DMS plug sawn in half for that freaky AIW connector, think the pitch is the same, but shape different.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 49932 of 52878, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A rather uncommon Voodoo Rush from an obscure japanese manufacturer. It looks very elegantly and efficiently engineered. It isn't even bigger than a Voodoo Graphics.
It has an interesting SLI-like port.

IMG20230729202047.jpg
Filename
IMG20230729202047.jpg
File size
111.82 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 49933 of 52878, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Today's thrift outing pickup was just an Interlink/laplink cable in RadioShack/Tandy package. I've had the one for ages that's "my preciousssss" because of how useful it is for transferring stuff when options are slim. While I now have a couple of machines with no other networking options so I can permanently dedicate one to that. Part number 26-8032 if anyone particularly wants to look for one. I guess I could have made one with other parallel cables I have around, but I am paranoid I'll accidentally use a unicorn one that belongs to something with no pinout online or something.

JustJulião wrote on 2023-07-29, 18:25:

A rather uncommon Voodoo Rush from an obscure japanese manufacturer. It looks very elegantly and efficiently engineered. It isn't even bigger than a Voodoo Graphics.
It has an interesting SLI-like port.
IMG20230729202047.jpg

Sweet, let us know if the image quality seems better than what is considered normally bad for Rush cards.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 49934 of 52878, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally got seller to accept a offer and purchased a Adventech ISA SBC. On this, it is SiS chipset with 10 x 32K cache (dual tag configuration all installed). But what nice about it is either 386DX (empty pads) or 486 socket, but it has holes for the 387DX. This was languishing on the ebay for forever.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 49935 of 52878, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A nice looking Chaintech Ti4200 Special Edition in box.

Attachments

Reply 49936 of 52878, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2023-07-30, 15:07:

That's one fancy looking card!

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 49937 of 52878, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-07-30, 15:19:

Back in the day, it would have been a shame for this card to be stuffed in a restrictive beige box, never to see the light of day until retirement.

Reply 49938 of 52878, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2023-07-30, 15:52:

Back in the day, it would have been a shame for this card to be stuffed in a restrictive beige box, never to see the light of day until retirement.

Back in the day when these cards came out beige boxes were pretty much thing of the past, with silver and charcoal/black boxes ruling the scene. Also most modders/tweakers/overclockers were never putting side panel on the case anyway and the "gaming" cases already started to feature small acrylic windows from the factory (and if not - case modders were putting them theirselves).

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 49939 of 52878, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2023-07-30, 16:44:
Meatball wrote on 2023-07-30, 15:52:

Back in the day when these cards came out beige boxes were pretty much thing of the past, with silver and charcoal/black boxes ruling the scene. Also most modders/tweakers/overclockers were never putting side panel on the case anyway and the "gaming" cases already started to feature small acrylic windows from the factory (and if not - case modders were putting them theirselves).

Yes, and back in the day, it would have been a shame for this card to be stuffed in a restrictive beige box, never to see the light of day until retirement.