Topic actions

Reply 52660 of 52808, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote on 2024-04-18, 01:24:
PcBytes wrote on 2024-04-18, 00:59:

Media Vision Thunderboard? The sticker and I/O placement look similar to it.

That's what I thought too. Took me a while, but what I found out was very very frightening.

Mamma mia let me go?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 52661 of 52808, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-18, 01:54:

That's what I thought too. Took me a while, but what I found out was very very frightening.

Mamma mia let me go?

🤣

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 52664 of 52808, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

About every 3 or 4 years I come across a Ti-99 and every time I go through the motions of counting the reasons I should have one, and it's only more or less the one of "TI is kinda cool I guess", so I never bite ... though it's weird I seem to come across them way more often than other computers I'd rather have when they're theoretically not as common.

I might be doomed if any Tandy crosses my bows though, even the crappy ones, they have grown on me a lot.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 52665 of 52808, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Imho the base unit TI99 is common, even boxed. I think most people got bored with them, and put them back in the box, only to never touch them again.

To use a crude analogy, it was a really polarized "console". You loved it and went balls deep into the ecosystem, or it was that "experiment" thing you did with a college buddy. I grew up with one, so I'm more than a bit biased.

The base units are really cheap, because everyone who wants one, has a dozen.

Now the accessories... different story all together. The TI fanclub will throw around just as much money as the Amiga cult for the right accessories.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 52666 of 52808, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey us Amiga fans are not a cult, we wear perfectly normal underwear.... probably.

Reply 52667 of 52808, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-18, 04:39:

Hey us Amiga fans are not a cult, we wear perfectly normal underwear.... probably.

Probably made from expensive imported silk given that you guys can afford what Amigas go for these days...

Reply 52668 of 52808, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-18, 03:47:

About every 3 or 4 years I come across a Ti-99 and every time I go through the motions of counting the reasons I should have one, and it's only more or less the one of "TI is kinda cool I guess", so I never bite ... though it's weird I seem to come across them way more often than other computers I'd rather have when they're theoretically not as common.

I might be doomed if any Tandy crosses my bows though, even the crappy ones, they have grown on me a lot.

I have the same feelings about both.

The first "computer" my family had was a VIC-20 but I was so young I only played Congo Bongo on it. After that, my brother won a Tandy 1000HX in some sort of contest in the very early 90s (91, 92 probably), which was obviously pretty outdated by that time. At some point in the mid to late 90s it was given to me, but by then it was so old and I had no idea what it was capable of that I didn't use it for much. When I saw "256K" of RAM on startup I knew it wasn't a gaming machine of any kind... if only I'd known about the huge catalog of Tandy compatible games that were probably readily available online (we didn't even have internet at that point). I would definitely take a Tandy 1000HX if one fell in my lap, though realistically, it wouldn't be significantly different from my PC 5150 with a 5153 monitor and an EGA card. I would like to experience that Tandy 3 Voice music again though and hear it in some games, as I had never actually gotten the chance to play a game on the 1000HX, as crazy as that sounds.

I have also seen TI-99s show up for years, often times with big piles of games and software. I guess I have just read so many things about them being underwhelming that I've never thought of getting one... that and I have way too much stuff as it is. It takes a concerted effort to keep my IBM PC-compatible hardware collection in line... then someone had to give me a pile of working Apple II stuff a few years back, and then last year a friend gave me his old PS/2... arghh...

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 52669 of 52808, by Dan386DX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2024-04-18, 04:43:
I have the same feelings about both. […]
Show full quote

The first "computer" my family had was a VIC-20 but I was so young I only played Congo Bongo on it. After that, my brother won a Tandy 1000HX in some sort of contest in the very early 90s (91, 92 probably), which was obviously pretty outdated by that time. At some point in the mid to late 90s it was given to me, but by then it was so old and I had no idea what it was capable of that I didn't use it for much. When I saw "256K" of RAM on startup I knew it wasn't a gaming machine of any kind... if only I'd known about the huge catalog of Tandy compatible games that were probably readily available online (we didn't even have internet at that point). I would definitely take a Tandy 1000HX if one fell in my lap, though realistically, it wouldn't be significantly different from my PC 5150 with a 5153 monitor and an EGA card. I would like to experience that Tandy 3 Voice music again though and hear it in some games, as I had never actually gotten the chance to play a game on the 1000HX, as crazy as that sounds.

I have also seen TI-99s show up for years, often times with big piles of games and software. I guess I have just read so many things about them being underwhelming that I've never thought of getting one... that and I have way too much stuff as it is. It takes a concerted effort to keep my IBM PC-compatible hardware collection in line... then someone had to give me a pile of working Apple II stuff a few years back, and then last year a friend gave me his old PS/2... arghh...

VIC-20 was my first experience of a computer! Also around 1989, I was four and it belonged to my big brother. I’ll be damned if I can remember what games we had though, Pac Man? Was that a thing on VIC-20?

At the time most of the other kids had a Commodore 64, but we weren’t a well-off family. The following year he got a Spectrum, then later an Amiga which was an insane upgrade in every way.

90s PC: IBM 6x86 MX PR 300. TNT2 M64.
Boring modern PC: i7-12700, RX 7800XT.
Fixer upper project: NEC Powermate 486SX/25

Reply 52671 of 52808, by InTheStudy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pete8475 wrote on 2024-04-18, 10:52:

You guys wear underwear?

S044cf5f5337f4ab7aaec271ec9c5afcbG.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.jpeg
Filename
S044cf5f5337f4ab7aaec271ec9c5afcbG.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.jpeg
File size
22.96 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Of course they do.

Reply 52672 of 52808, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
3lectr1c wrote on 2024-04-18, 01:12:
bjwil1991 wrote on 2024-04-14, 12:53:
Bought a Zenith Data Systems Z-Note 325Lc bundle (equipped with an AAUI NIC, a cable for the 8-pin mystery port, docking station […]
Show full quote

Bought a Zenith Data Systems Z-Note 325Lc bundle (equipped with an AAUI NIC, a cable for the 8-pin mystery port, docking station/port replicator, detachable trackball mouse, documentation, charger, and the laptop itself with a failing 120MB HDD). My plan for the Zenith laptop is to attempt to archive the original drive and attempt to make an image of it so I can burn it to a CF card of 512MB or a 2GB SD card (SD2IDE) with XUB on a diskette.

Screenshot_20240412_184644_eBay.jpg

And for my Panasonic PV-1540, an idler wheel since the current one lags a bit and it's ready to crumble into pieces.

Screenshot_20240412_140646_eBay.jpg

You might want to check to make sure nothing in there (especially the display) is in need of recapping. Is that an active matrix display?

Well, the 6.3v 47uF capacitor adjacent to the floppy connector needs to be replaced. Battery leaked and caused corrosion in a small area, but the system boots up. The floppy drive doesn't work at all, especially the replacement one I installed, and the display needs adjustments/recap. But other than those things, the laptop works. I might as well recap the display's board as well.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 52673 of 52808, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dan386DX wrote on 2024-04-18, 05:57:
I have the same feelings about both. […]
Show full quote

VIC-20 was my first experience of a computer! Also around 1989, I was four and it belonged to my big brother. I’ll be damned if I can remember what games we had though, Pac Man? Was that a thing on VIC-20?

At the time most of the other kids had a Commodore 64, but we weren’t a well-off family. The following year he got a Spectrum, then later an Amiga which was an insane upgrade in every way.

I went from parentally supplied 48K spectrum to saved up for myself Amiga, yes, very upgrade.

Most 8 bit machines had a Pac Man clone if not a licensed version, and some kind of Space Invader, Galaxian, screen by screen platformer, asteroids, breakout/arkanoid.

Reply 52674 of 52808, by Dan386DX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-18, 13:11:
Dan386DX wrote on 2024-04-18, 05:57:

I went from parentally supplied 48K spectrum to saved up for myself Amiga, yes, very upgrade.

Most 8 bit machines had a Pac Man clone if not a licensed version, and some kind of Space Invader, Galaxian, screen by screen platformer, asteroids, breakout/arkanoid.

Did you grow up in Europe/UK? Can’t imagine too many Canadian kids had two Brit computers in a row.

Amiga is great and the step up from the Speccy blew my young mind, the graphics, the sound and music and the UI were streets ahead. That said, there was something quite special about the Spectrum. We also had the 48k, I’ll never forget the screech of the cassettes taking an age to load, the 15 colour artwork and the charms of how intricate those little games felt.

Reply 52675 of 52808, by trannks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

YMF724F that can go in low profile case.
How common is this?

download/file.php?mode=view&id=191131

Attachments

Reply 52676 of 52808, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dan386DX wrote on 2024-04-18, 15:44:

Did you grow up in Europe/UK? Can’t imagine too many Canadian kids had two Brit computers in a row.

I still haven't grown up 😜 but yeah I was in the UK thru the 70s, 80s, 90s.

Reply 52677 of 52808, by Dan386DX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-18, 17:59:
Dan386DX wrote on 2024-04-18, 15:44:

I still haven't grown up 😜 but yeah I was in the UK thru the 70s, 80s, 90s.

I tip my battered cod to you sir.

Reply 52678 of 52808, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2024-04-17, 22:40:

I want someone to figure it out though. The detective work was actually a lot of fun. 😁

Media Vision Thunder and Lightning. A video and sound card in one. I couldn't find the ad that you mentioned, just a schematic of the card on VCFED and it matches your photo.

Reply 52679 of 52808, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2024-04-17, 22:40:

As it is, even if it's only the back 3 inches of the card and the rest is torn off I believe it will still be the only photos of that much of the card since it was released. Granted, there may be pictures on a non-english speaking site and they just never come up in Google searches.

Re: A gallery of strange sound devices