Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 52840 of 52976, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
acl wrote on 2024-05-07, 07:30:
If you're able to swap the ROM, it is still a Z80 + ROM + a serial interface. Swapping the ROM for a custom made one should be p […]
Show full quote
carlitosbala wrote on 2024-05-07, 06:52:
acl wrote on 2024-05-06, 12:13:

I found a datasheet describing a more recent but similar card. (https://partners.trendcontrols.com/trendprodu … 1-uk0yr0608.pdf)
Page 2 seems to explain that the card is indeed managed through serial and is only using the ISA bus for power. (this more recent card is PCI based)

Screenshot from 2024-05-06 14-12-54.png

Interesting. It seems the card is not useful to me in the slightest (except to eventually harvest some components), but still, interesting to get a glance of hardware and systems I'd otherwise not know even exists.

If you're able to swap the ROM, it is still a Z80 + ROM + a serial interface.
Swapping the ROM for a custom made one should be possible.

You probably won't be able to run CP/M but there might be some possible usage (even more if you can slightly modify the card adding some IO bedside the RS232)
A Z80 is a really simple CPU to deal with. You can do a lot of thing by adding a bunch of 7400 series IC and / or shift registers.

Ideas :
- Adding IO pins to the Z80 and wiring them to the Motherboard. You could programmatically control some features (Jumper settings, turbo)
- Emulating any serial device (modem, mouse, sound ?)
- Adapt some of the RC2014 module to the card

The knowhow that a lot of people have here really impresses me. Someone buys a random card without knowing what it is, and you guys have ideas on how to back it!

Reply 52841 of 52976, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-05-07, 07:49:
acl wrote on 2024-05-07, 07:30:
If you're able to swap the ROM, it is still a Z80 + ROM + a serial interface. Swapping the ROM for a custom made one should be p […]
Show full quote
carlitosbala wrote on 2024-05-07, 06:52:

Interesting. It seems the card is not useful to me in the slightest (except to eventually harvest some components), but still, interesting to get a glance of hardware and systems I'd otherwise not know even exists.

If you're able to swap the ROM, it is still a Z80 + ROM + a serial interface.
Swapping the ROM for a custom made one should be possible.

You probably won't be able to run CP/M but there might be some possible usage (even more if you can slightly modify the card adding some IO bedside the RS232)
A Z80 is a really simple CPU to deal with. You can do a lot of thing by adding a bunch of 7400 series IC and / or shift registers.

Ideas :
- Adding IO pins to the Z80 and wiring them to the Motherboard. You could programmatically control some features (Jumper settings, turbo)
- Emulating any serial device (modem, mouse, sound ?)
- Adapt some of the RC2014 module to the card

The knowhow that a lot of people have here really impresses me. Someone buys a random card without knowing what it is, and you guys have ideas on how to back it!

If it has a Z80 on it then you can be 1000% sure that there will always be someone able to turn it into a full PC, simply one of the best CPUs ever made for home-brew hacky stuff. (The Arduino would be a good second)

Reply 52842 of 52976, by carlitosbala

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-05-07, 07:49:

Exactly why I posted, if I'm to be honest 😜 Ever since I saw Ben Eater's videos in Youtube I thought on maybe some day doing something similar with a Z80, since I've had for a few years an Artisoft LANtastic card which is also based on the Z80. Unfortunately I had to park that idea because the card is now 12000Km away (I moved countries for work reasons and couldn't bring my entire hardware collection and tools with me), so with this one I may be able to get back on that idea. If I ever get it to work as part of an ugly hack of a project, I'll make sure to post it here 😀

Reply 52843 of 52976, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Waiting to go pick up a 2005 G4 Powerbook.
PSU + laptop (HDD + DVD), but no DDR ram. I have a bountyful amount of that 😀

Screen has some horizontal lines dead.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 52844 of 52976, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-05-07, 07:19:

Not bought "Yet" but this card is in a lot im looking at, best I can figure its some kind of CRT controller card due to the SY6845E CRT IC, does anyone here have some clue what its actually for ?

Unkown STB.jpg

Best bet: STB Mono Plus, an MDA and (maybe) Hercules card.

It has the standard MDA/Hercules combo of DE9 for mono out and a parallel port under it, two VTI chips replacing a lot of the discrete logic on IBM MDA boards.

First card on this page shows same PCB but a lot more populated. Apparently there's an FCC ID EKS56AHT on the back, but not able to find much there (EKS = STB, and we already knew that).
http://www.yjfy.com/museum/video/STB.htm

Reply 52845 of 52976, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2024-05-07, 13:29:
Best bet: STB Mono Plus, an MDA and (maybe) Hercules card. […]
Show full quote

Not bought "Yet" but this card is in a lot im looking at, best I can figure its some kind of CRT controller card due to the SY6845E CRT IC, does anyone here have some clue what its actually for ?

Unkown STB.jpg

Best bet: STB Mono Plus, an MDA and (maybe) Hercules card.

It has the standard MDA/Hercules combo of DE9 for mono out and a parallel port under it, two VTI chips replacing a lot of the discrete logic on IBM MDA boards.

First card on this page shows same PCB but a lot more populated. Apparently there's an FCC ID EKS56AHT on the back, but not able to find much there (EKS = STB, and we already knew that).
http://www.yjfy.com/museum/video/STB.htm

Hmm interesting, might be fun to tinker with if I ever get one of them cool Orange Mono CRTs, not sure how it would go on a 386 since I dont own anything slower.

Reply 52846 of 52976, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well it's hardware for retro hardware.

A proper diagnostics card. Needless to say, more chips = better. 😉

DSC_8937.JPG
Filename
DSC_8937.JPG
File size
1.51 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The cheapest card (top) works fine in a PCI slot, but in an ISA slot, not so much.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 52847 of 52976, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PD2JK wrote on 2024-05-07, 14:12:
Well it's hardware for retro hardware. […]
Show full quote

DSC_8937.JPG

The cheapest card (top) works fine in a PCI slot, but in an ISA slot, not so much.

I can't recall how many times I've shown & said it nor if I already told you, so here it goes again.

Throw that top card away or at least cut the ISA part off.
It will never work on ISA because the traces are going nowhere.
They route underneath the chip and end there.
No connection whatsoever.
Second thing about that card is that the chip identifies as a pci device, which is not that important
but
Third thing is that the ISA slot, at least on mine, was about a millimeter too short, and the pads are also weird
Which allows for them to under some circumstances to SHORT OUT your data signals with power lines
Which in all likelyhood will kill your mainboard.

file.php?id=127929

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 52848 of 52976, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Placed an order for a Polaris iPB-T board, sold as not working. A quick inspection shows bulged Licon caps (oh nyo 😀 ) and a broken socket clip.

For nearly $13 (price including shipping), I consider that a steal, given not many 815EP boards are out here for cheap. I do have a good ASUS CUSL2 for the Coppermine side, but wanted something natively supportive of Tualatin 😁

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 52849 of 52976, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2024-05-07, 14:59:
I can't recall how many times I've shown & said it nor if I already told you, so here it goes again. […]
Show full quote
PD2JK wrote on 2024-05-07, 14:12:
Well it's hardware for retro hardware. […]
Show full quote

DSC_8937.JPG

I can't recall how many times I've shown & said it nor if I already told you, so here it goes again.

Throw that top card away or at least cut the ISA part off.
It will never work on ISA because the traces are going nowhere.
They route underneath the chip and end there.
No connection whatsoever.
Second thing about that card is that the chip identifies as a pci device, which is not that important
but
Third thing is that the ISA slot, at least on mine, was about a millimeter too short, and the pads are also weird
Which allows for them to under some circumstances to SHORT OUT your data signals with power lines
Which in all likelyhood will kill your mainboard.

file.php?id=127929

Yeah that card is sitting in the trash already. I was aware of the wrong ISA dimensions. But thanks for pointing things out. Again. 😉

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 52850 of 52976, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-05-07, 13:46:

[...]

Hmm interesting, might be fun to tinker with if I ever get one of them cool Orange Mono CRTs, not sure how it would go on a 386 since I dont own anything slower.

I tested one in a P3. So long as the ISA bus isn't running at crazy speeds you should be good. MDA text is really, really nice, even when compared to VGA.

Reply 52851 of 52976, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I think I hit the jackpot. I've only ever found one 486 board in my area. Never seen anything older that wasn't going for a crazy high price. But the other day someone posted this on FB for FREE!

mobos.jpeg
Filename
mobos.jpeg
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

They both had Vartas that were exploding, but I think I got really lucky. The top board only looked to have a bit of crustiness near the battery terminals. The lower board looks to have leaked some more and you can see some discoloration on some of the pins in the top ISA slot. There was also some crust on the pin header block and the chip legs above it. But some vinegar has done a decent job cleaning up the worst of it. I'm certainly wary of damage that I can't see under the components, but aside from some spots on that big trace running down the left side, I'm not really seeing any board damage. I haven't turned them on yet because I'm being very thorough waiting for them to dry. And also I think I'm supposed to watch out for exploding tantalums, so that's got me a little worried too. 😁

cards.jpeg
Filename
cards.jpeg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The video card has 15 pin VGA and 9 pin EGA outputs. I haven't found any details about this specific card, so hopefully the dip switches are set to VGA because I don't have a 9 pin compatible monitor.

And the other card appears to be an MFM card from what I can tell. Never used one before.

drives.jpeg
Filename
drives.jpeg
File size
634.81 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I'm assuming these will work with the MFM card, but we'll see.

chips.jpeg
Filename
chips.jpeg
File size
1.66 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Chips as far as the eye can see. Those foam sheets have just as many chips on the other side as well. After a quick look, they appear to be DRAM chips. One of these motherboards doesn't have any installed, but after I've installed those, I have no idea what I'll do with the rest. 😀

There are also a number of 30-pin SIMMs, but the ones on the left all seem to have pins on the bottom. I've never seen that before.

Last thing I'll say is that everything is remarkably clean. I'm guessing it was all barely used, if it was used at all. There's so much to fiddle with here, I'm having a hard time figuring out where to start.

Reply 52853 of 52976, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
danieljm wrote on 2024-05-07, 18:31:

And also I think I'm supposed to watch out for exploding tantalums, so that's got me a little worried too. 😁

The Tantalums won't explode until you apply power to them and then they either work or not. Sometimes with a bang and smoke, sometimes just smoke, no bang.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 52854 of 52976, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are also a number of 30-pin SIMMs, but the ones on the left all seem to have pins on the bottom. I've never seen that before.

They are SIPPs. Less common than SIMMs, but the pinout is the same. A SIPP is just a SIMM with pins on the connectors.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 52855 of 52976, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
So, I think I hit the jackpot. I've only ever found one 486 board in my area. Never seen anything older that wasn't going for a […]
Show full quote

So, I think I hit the jackpot. I've only ever found one 486 board in my area. Never seen anything older that wasn't going for a crazy high price. But the other day someone posted this on FB for FREE!

mobos.jpeg

They both had Vartas that were exploding, but I think I got really lucky. The top board only looked to have a bit of crustiness near the battery terminals. The lower board looks to have leaked some more and you can see some discoloration on some of the pins in the top ISA slot. There was also some crust on the pin header block and the chip legs above it. But some vinegar has done a decent job cleaning up the worst of it. I'm certainly wary of damage that I can't see under the components, but aside from some spots on that big trace running down the left side, I'm not really seeing any board damage. I haven't turned them on yet because I'm being very thorough waiting for them to dry. And also I think I'm supposed to watch out for exploding tantalums, so that's got me a little worried too. 😁

cards.jpeg

The video card has 15 pin VGA and 9 pin EGA outputs. I haven't found any details about this specific card, so hopefully the dip switches are set to VGA because I don't have a 9 pin compatible monitor.

And the other card appears to be an MFM card from what I can tell. Never used one before.

drives.jpeg

chips.jpeg

Chips as far as the eye can see. Those foam sheets have just as many chips on the other side as well. After a quick look, they appear to be DRAM chips. One of these motherboards doesn't have any installed, but after I've installed those, I have no idea what I'll do with the rest. 😀

Last thing I'll say is that everything is remarkably clean. I'm guessing it was all barely used, if it was used at all. There's so much to fiddle with here, I'm having a hard time figuring out where to start.

Wow that's quite a haul, I've got a similar 286 with Chips chipset and a Suntac, they both feel like a very different era of computing from anything with SIMM / SIPP sockets 😀 Still trying to get one of them working actually. If you have the option to do so I recommend using some kind of current limited power supply for initial testing to avoid shorts from tantalums causing damage. I use a chinese clone of a PicoPSU and a current limiting bench power supply @ 12v to test most AT & ATX boards now.

IMG_3367 (Custom).JPG
Filename
IMG_3367 (Custom).JPG
File size
1.1 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The other day I got this HP Compaq NW8000 for pretty cheap. It was sold as for parts because the 7200RPM Travelstar 7k60 hard drive worked but extremely slowly and with tons of bad sectors. That and both optical drives were broken - it's a 3-spindle laptop!
I'm hoping I can get SBEMU working on this or see how well win98 can work since it's perfect for XP gaming and should be good for dos/98 era if soundblaster emulation can work.
Specs are:

• Intel Pentium M Dothan @ 2.0GHz - I've been on the lookout for this CPU for a while, this CPU alone costs more than I paid for this computer
  • 2GB memory - currently causing issues with attempting to test win98
  • 60GB Travelstar 7k60 7200rpm IDE hard drive - replaced with MSATA SSD to IDE adapter. I'm keeping the bad drive because my Thinkpad X32 used to have the same drive 😀
  • ATI Mobility Fire GL T2 128MB - should be the same as a Mobility 9600 pro
  • 15" 1600x1200 LCD
  • Integrated DVDRW & Compaq MultiBay slot - now with a floppy drive installed in the multibay
  • Really big front firing speakers which sound great, with volume control / mute buttons on the front with them

Just got an offer for a new in box dock for this too, which adds PS/2 and DVI ports.

Reply 52857 of 52976, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First one for me. Never owned VIA/Cyrix CPUs before.

Seller from China packed it very well.

Attachments

• c3.jpg
    Filename
    c3.jpg
    File size
    415.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 52858 of 52976, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unkown STB.jpg

I saw this listing myself and looked it up the other day. I believe it is an STB Chauffeur or STB Chauffeur HT.

https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/stb … s-needed.79426/

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 52859 of 52976, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-05-07, 18:49:

~50-60MB of ram. We are looking at ~$10K in 1987 money here 😁

At the rate that retro prices are going, I could wait 10 years and they'll be worth that much again. 😉

weedeewee wrote on 2024-05-07, 18:50:

And also I think I'm supposed to watch out for exploding tantalums, so that's got me a little worried too. 😁

The Tantalums won't explode until you apply power to them and then they either work or not. Sometimes with a bang and smoke, sometimes just smoke, no bang.

Thanks for the confidence boost. We'll see how it goes.

debs3759 wrote on 2024-05-07, 18:58:

They are SIPPs. Less common than SIMMs, but the pinout is the same. A SIPP is just a SIMM with pins on the connectors.

Okay cool, good to know. Now that's another thing for me to go down a rabbit hole. 😀

Thermalwrong wrote on 2024-05-07, 19:30:
So, I think I hit the jackpot. I've only ever found one 486 board in my area. Never seen anything older that wasn't going for a […]
Show full quote

mobos.jpeg

cards.jpeg

drives.jpeg

chips.jpeg

Wow that's quite a haul, I've got a similar 286 with Chips chipset and a Suntac, they both feel like a very different era of computing from anything with SIMM / SIPP sockets 😀 Still trying to get one of them working actually. If you have the option to do so I recommend using some kind of current limited power supply for initial testing to avoid shorts from tantalums causing damage. I use a chinese clone of a PicoPSU and a current limiting bench power supply @ 12v to test most AT & ATX boards now.

That sounds like a good idea. I've been meaning to look into the PicoPSU, and this sounds like a really good use-case for it. Thanks!