User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cloudschatze wrote:
Indeed. :) […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

That pic looks like somekind of schematical thingy...

Indeed. 😀

Unlike, ahem, some companies, Media Vision used 4-layer PCBs. In addition to the physical divisions between the digital and analog sections, most of the circuit traces in the latter are sandwiched between outer, "shielded" layers (one side of which is shown in the picture). This design serves to mostly reduce, or even eliminate, the EMI interference that Creative's cards so expertly amplify.

While Media Vision's cards aren't perfect - my biggest gripe being the high-frequency whine of the OPL3 if the FM volume is set too high - their design is mostly superior to any contemporaries.

That's some clever designing right there 😉

I can imagine many PCB manufacturers only creating a layout so it works while still being relatively cheap and "reliable enough".

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 521 of 52881, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I emergency-fixed my girlfriend's dad's laser printer at his business and he gave me a bunch of old computer stuff from storage in return.

Among the fun stuff:
-Zip100 drive (Parallel)
-HP Colorado T1000e Travan tape drive (no idea where I'm going to get tapes for this, but it's a fun novelty to have sitting around)
-Some retro-looking sets of computer speakers that will match my old systems well
-a blue Microsoft serial mouse
-USB optical mouse with retractable cable (cool for my laptop!)

I also got the innards to an HP Pavilion tower from 1996. I thought about taking the whole system, but it had been being used back when everyone at his office smoked and it was just horribly stained up. That, and I don't have room for another tower. Because I didn't take the tower, I left the CD drive and floppy drive, both of which were equally dirty but also relied on the HP case's front to have any sort of front bezel. They'd look terrible in any other machine so I decided it wasn't worth it.
Anyway, the parts themselves, while dirty, cleaned up very well, but now that the machine is just a box of parts without a case (and likely will not have one unless I rig something up because of the proprietary design) I guess I'll just point out the individual parts.

-HP proprietary motherboard. Has a pretty strange design. Despite it already being a tower, the expansion slots are on their own huge riser card, which holds 2 PCI and 5 ISA slots. It is a SiS chipset (chips labeled SiS 5511, 5512, 5513, and 6205) which I seem to recall is a poor chipset, but I don't remember. It has an empty COAST slot and next to it are some sockets for chips, but I have no idea what for-- my best guess is more VRAM for the SiS integrated video. It also has integrated audio but executed in a strange way. It has a Crystal CS4232 chip on the motherboard, and then the actual audio outputs are on a tiny card by "AURA Systems" which is put in an expansion opening on the back of the system, and connected to the motherboard by a ribbon cable. I noticed while testing the machine that Win98 listed it as having an FM synthesizer, so I plan to investigate its usefulness further (didn't have speakers plugged in at the time)
-Socket 7 Pentium 133
-96MB 72-pin EDO RAM (2x32 and 2x16) -- although the machine only sees 64MB when booted into the included Win98. Unsure if it is a limitation of the board or if the two 16MB sticks are dead. I will test them on my other P133 board later.
-Linksys EtherPCI II ethernet card
-8-bit ISA card that says on the PCB it is a SCSI controller, but confuses me because in the installed Win98's device manager, it says that the parallel port Zip drive that I mentioned above was plugged in through it. So I don't actually know if it is an extra parallel port on a card, or a SCSI controller.
-Yet another ISA modem for my junk box
-Quantum hard drive, about 3.4GB capacity (forget exact model off the top of my head)
-Western Digital Caviar drive, about 6GB, circa 1998-- this one has red line on its label and the rest of my similarly aged WD drives have a green line-- what is the difference? Different RPMs?
-AT power supply, was filled with disgusting gunk but I cleaned it up well. I have a feeling that it is semi-proprietary due to the way the power button is hooked up. A cord runs from the PSU that looks identical to the power cable on a processor fan. The power button is then plugged into that through a short opposite-gendered cable. I intended to toss this PSU but after seeing that and being unable to conclude whether it was a proprietary HP setup, I decided I'd hold on to it. I don't think I'll use it much though because it sounds a little unstable (I can definitely hear a change in frequency of its hum whenever the computer redraws the screen, which concerns me... plus who knows how reliable it is after having sat in storage for years after being subjected to a lot of smoking damage and dirt)

I can supply pics of this stuff if anyone's curious... I have a few I took with my phone already but I'm just really lazy and haven't transferred them over.

Reply 522 of 52881, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

-8-bit ISA card that says on the PCB it is a SCSI controller, but confuses me because in the installed Win98's device manager, it says that the parallel port Zip drive that I mentioned above was plugged in through it. So I don't actually know if it is an extra parallel port on a card, or a SCSI controller.

You're probably getting a DB25 SCSI port confused with the DB25 parallel port. That Zip drive is probably SCSI. Do not plug that drive into a parallel port until you know for sure... if it's SCSI, plugging it into a parallel port could potentially damage the drive and/or the port.

Reply 523 of 52881, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

You're probably getting a DB25 SCSI port confused with the DB25 parallel port. That Zip drive is probably SCSI. Do not plug that drive into a parallel port until you know for sure... if it's SCSI, plugging it into a parallel port could potentially damage the drive and/or the port.

This is a good call. Caution is definitely in order. I had a parallel port zip drive back in the day, but I knew someone with a mac with a D25 SCSI port. Both drives appeared to use the same cable, but they were not the same obviously.

Reply 524 of 52881, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, the confusion can continue. I am totally sure it is a parallel zip drive. The writing on the back shows a printer icon, not the SCSI logo as SCSI drives apparently have. And to make things worse the parallel zip drives are Apparently SCSI drives that convert internally. I decided to attach pics of the drive and SCSI controller. I need to look into this further when I reassemble the system and check its hardware.

http://db.tt/hwUeCKj
http://db.tt/92XQ2js
Sorry bout the links, posting from my phone.

It would sure be nice if it were SCSI though. I already have internal zip drives for PC and it would help to have one that also works on my Macs.

Reply 525 of 52881, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a parallel port ZIP drive. Internally however it's SCSI and uses a SCSI > parallel adapter.

All you need is to download GUEST.EXE from the iomega site or google and run it with the drive plugged in and powered up.

That's under DOS.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 526 of 52881, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … em=250851037779

Soundblaster 1.5 CT1320C 8-bit

I have also ordered the philips chip for the game blaster. Iam gonna use the soundcard for an 286 computer build what i do later on.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 527 of 52881, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I decided to attach pics of the drive and SCSI controller. I need to look into this further when I reassemble the system and check its hardware.

Hm, that is definitely a parallel Zip drive, and that is also definitely an 8-bit ISA SCSI card.

I'd say it's most likely that Win98 was just recognizing the Zip as a SCSI device due to the internal SCSI->parallel converter it has, rather than any relation to the ISA SCSI card. Because that drive was definitely not hooked up and working on that SCSI card... it's simply not possible.

Reply 528 of 52881, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright. Got it. Sorry about the confusion, I haven't worked with external devices like this often.

Also, it seems this could be a lucky motherboard score. I was looking up more stuff about the sound that's integrated on it, and played around a bit, and it seems to have an OPL3 synth! I did not see an actual OPL3 chip on the board but it sounds the same as my other cards, at least playing FM in Win98.
And judging by ISA cards that also have the Crystal 4232 it should have SB Pro compatibility as well. Only thing it seems to lack is a daughterboard connector. This could make a nice retro rig without even having to use a slot for my SB compatibility. I just need to mess around with it more and try games.
Unfortunately I'm more tempted to shelve it for now because the whole thing smells horrible because of the old smoking environment it was in. It gets all over my hands too and drives me nuts, and I have to wash my hands for a very long time after I'm done working with it. I will probably make some attempts to clean all the components very, very, very thoroughly before I mess with it again, if I can find a good method. I heard once about using a dishwasher to hardcore clean computer parts (provided they dry for a few weeks afterwards) but I can't find any solid info to back this up.

Reply 529 of 52881, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the dishwasher technique is certainly used by some. or just put it in a bowl of soapy water and wash it [worked for me once getting an old mac board running].

I've never had a board smell of smoke but i do have a few that reeked of something for ages after i started using them... they seemed to be brand new though. kind of a "chemical smell", never tried washing them for that reason though.

Reply 530 of 52881, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Clean, fresh water should actually be OK for computer parts, as long as they are thoroughly dried out before you apply power to them again.
If you have salty or hard water then that can cause problems with corrosion. And you'd want to be careful what sort of detergent you use.

You can get some electrical contact cleaner in an aerosol can, which dries up a lot quicker, might be safer than water. I've successfully used it to clean up a corroded battery on a motherboard before. Its got a pretty strong smell of its own though.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 531 of 52881, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratfink wrote:

I've never had a board smell of smoke but i do have a few that reeked of something for ages after i started using them... they seemed to be brand new though. kind of a "chemical smell", never tried washing them for that reason though.

I've had several though. The difference with just dusty is that the innards will be more sticky.
Btw, I've also seen computers with lots and lots of hair. Some computers also had (dead) bugs in them and one even had mouse droppings 😵

And I probably also seen a couple that were used by a dog or cat for...well, you know what -_-

And one looked like it had been on the bottom of a canal, and reeked the same too...

Report spammers here!

Reply 532 of 52881, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:

Clean, fresh water should actually be OK for computer parts, as long as they are thoroughly dried out before you apply power to them again.
If you have salty or hard water then that can cause problems with corrosion. And you'd want to be careful what sort of detergent you use.

You can get some electrical contact cleaner in an aerosol can, which dries up a lot quicker, might be safer than water. I've successfully used it to clean up a corroded battery on a motherboard before. Its got a pretty strong smell of its own though.

Yeah, some sort of contact cleaner would be a safer bet. It will stink, but it will dry more quickly, and there is virtually no chance of corrosion.

Barring that, I would use a mild dish soap and distilled water, or alcohol, but that evaporates rapidly and would probably get expensive quickly.

Reply 533 of 52881, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've washed MANY boards in water and never had a single issue. Soap and hot water go a LONG way. I've also used vinegar/salt to clean corrosion off of contacts before. I guess it helps that I live in denver. Its practically a desert, so things dry FAST.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 534 of 52881, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I opened up a computer I found once and it looked like a rats nest inside. There were no droppings or signs of habitation, but it was packed with hair, fluff and dust from years of never being cleaned inside. It didn't work when I got it but as soon as I cleaned it all out it booted right up. It was probably getting so hot from all that insulation packed in there that it wouldn't run for more than a few seconds so the previous owner decided it was broken and trashed it.

Reply 535 of 52881, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

I've washed MANY boards in water and never had a single issue. Soap and hot water go a LONG way. I've also used vinegar/salt to clean corrosion off of contacts before. I guess it helps that I live in denver. Its practically a desert, so things dry FAST.

I think I'm paranoid as the hard water here is so bad it leaves lines after a few weeks of showering (with detergent no less, not soap).

That said, I've spilled water on things and let them dry and they've been fine, but that's only a little water.

Reply 536 of 52881, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

but it was packed with hair, fluff and dust from years of never being cleaned inside.

Having pets does this. Cats often like to hang out / sleep near / on-top of the PC. Something to do with the warmth / vibration that they seem to love...

Reply 537 of 52881, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
sliderider wrote:

but it was packed with hair, fluff and dust from years of never being cleaned inside.

Having pets does this. Cats often like to hang out / sleep near / on-top of the PC. Something to do with the warmth / vibration that they seem to love...

When I used to have CRT monitors my cat loved to lie on top of them! Her favourite was the big chunky 19" SGI/Sony trinitron 😳 Though she would make use of whatever was on offer, as shown here!

Attachments

• Filename
    101-0101_IMG.JPG
    File size
    96.87 KiB
    Downloads
    117 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 538 of 52881, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes! CRTs get quite warm and have heat outlets at the top. This makes them a cosy and heated sleeping area, which cats really dig.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 539 of 52881, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SavantStrike wrote:
luckybob wrote:

I think I'm paranoid as the hard water here is so bad it leaves lines after a few weeks of showering (with detergent no less, not soap).

That said, I've spilled water on things and let them dry and they've been fine, but that's only a little water.

That's something I didn't consider for others. In the Netherlands the drinking water is amongst the best in the world (especially in the west as much of the water is ground water and filtered in the dunes). I never ever have those drying spots or chalk or anything like that. It depends a lot on in which region you live in.

megatron-uk wrote:

When I used to have CRT monitors my cat loved to lie on top of them! Her favourite was the big chunky 19" SGI/Sony trinitron 😳 Though she would make use of whatever was on offer, as shown here!

Omg she looks so happy!
Just to mention it, I'm a HUGE fan of cats! I LOVE em! 😁

Report spammers here!