VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 740 of 52865, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think there's a thing in the setup util that tells you? I don't have my 486 setup at the moment (386 is in its place and the GUS isn't installed in that) so I can't check.
But usually if you have all 8 chips installed that's a megabyte.
If you can tell us what is written on the chips I can tell you exactly how much you have 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 741 of 52865, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just recieved a boxed Sound Blaster Pro Deluxe (model CT1600)

KmQMk.jpg

Inludes all manuals and disks including Lemmings and Indianopolis 500, and the warranty card 😀

My boxed sound card collection now includes:
Creative CMS/Game Blaster
Sound Blaster 1.5 (sealed box)
Sound Blaster Pro
Gravis Ultrasound Classic
Sound Blaster AWE32 PnP

and I've got a boxed SB16 on its way 😀
I'd like to try and track down a boxed AWE64 Gold but even unboxed these aren't super easy to come by (at least not for any reasonable price)

Reply 742 of 52865, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's pretty much an identical software set to what came with our SB16 back in the day.

The SB16 itself was in a larger "multimedia kit" type thing with a Panasonic CD-ROM drive, some Creative speakers, a CD-ROM encyclopedia, a copy of Rebel Assault, and a bunch of daffy "woo multimedia!!!" edutainment titles.

Pretty jelly of your collection though... I'm almost embarrassed of mine now!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 743 of 52865, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well if I include my non-boxed sound cards I've also got...
Roland RAP-10 + manual
Roland LAPC-I
1987 Adlib
A pair of CT1350 SB2.0 (with CMS upgrades 😁 )
AWE64 Value
Sound Blaster pre-release prototype purchased from Anonymous Freak
and of course the Roland MT32 and SC-55 external modules

... plus various SB pros/16's and ESS soundcards, and the YMF719 + XR385 I'm using in my 486

yeah I have way too many sound cards 🙁

Reply 744 of 52865, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The batch of ISA cards (one pci card also in the lot ) I nabbed for 15 bucks arrived. A few of the no name cards need minor caps replaced, as some caps had been bent to the point of legs breaking or being exposed out of the seal. Otherwise, all is well. A rough list of the cards is:
opti Ovation Wave32
addionics yamaha opl x two cards
yamaha opl
acer magic s20 (opti/crystal combo)
yamaha ymf x two cards
gravis ultrasound pnp x two cards
packard bell crystal cs4231 / Aztech Sound Galaxy Pro 16 II x two cards
crystal cs4232
ess audiodrive x four cards
media vision Pro Audio Spectrum 16 Basic
opti
media magic crystal cs4248
asonic pro crystal cs4235-xq3
crystal cs4235-xq3
sb vibra 16
ensoniq audiopci
mwave crystal cs4216
sb16 value
packard bell crystal cs4231a/modem combo
sb 16
ad1845jp soundport/aztech azt2316r modem combo

Reply 745 of 52865, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That’s a lot of soundcard but more important where is this wave of gus cards coming from?
I’d be interested in how the professor thinks of the gus compares to GM in games.
As you said in your other post I’m happy enough with my AWE32/MU10 setup but if games like Epic Pinball sound 10x better I may need to get one

Reply 746 of 52865, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, initial thoughts are that yeah, it sounds cleaner then Awe 32 to me, but thats based off limited testing, so I cant even begin to say compared to Awe 64. As far as selecting Ultrasound versus Awe mode goes in Doom II and Duke 3d for music playback, it varies. Some of the midi sounds are more synthetic sounding compared to Awe, but, and this is the thing, it sounds more like the Ultrasound is playing the tracks like they were intended to be heard in the case of Doom II, compared to the Awe playing the tracks as it interprets them, which is the same issue I have with SB live midi music playback on Doom II also.

On Doom II, right off the bat, if you let the demo run, that first stage it shows, the Ultrasound playing the music track for that stage , and the one after it sound better then on Awe or Sb Live. The awe and SB live make that one stage music sound almost like a happy and slow Caribbean melody or something, and the following demo stage after that, the music playing on the Ultrasound comes off as colder and more menacing.

Duke Nukem main theme on other hand, I think its better represented on Awe and SB Live. It sounds great on Ultra, dont get me wrong, but thats one track that really does seem to take advantage of Creatives tech. On Ultrasound mode it kinda sounds like something coming off the Atari Jaguar. More advanced then SB 16 playback by far, but not at Awe level.

It may end up being a toss up for me with other games too as I go. Its just too early to say. Oh yeah also, I had to manually set the irq for the Ultrasound modes. Had to do it in Windows, then carried same settings over to Dos mode. Otherwise it would set at irq 11 for the Ultrasound modes, which Duke 3d needs 10 or below.

Reply 748 of 52865, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm, well if the gus isn't greatly better than using something else like AWE, SC55, etc I can put it in the only if its a bargain list of things to get, will keep n eye on your posts all the same.

Reply 749 of 52865, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, so far I have not been blown away by it or anything, so I am not so sure that I will be keeping the pair of Ultrasounds I got. I will give it a few more days I guess, try a few more games and see how it plays out. If not to my liking, then call it quits and sell them off I suppose if I come across someone willing to make a reasonable/fair offer or trade near their value. So far trying stuff like Warcraft 2, Dark Forces, Mega Race 2, while the results have been solid, I just don't feel like this surpasses the Awe 64 to any major degree. Doom II was was really the only thing that stood out for me as of now.

Reply 750 of 52865, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I own an XR385, SC55, GUS classic, AWE32 .... and its really down to personal preference.

I like the XR385 the most but some games sound better than others with different sound devices...

but yes, the GUS is nice to have but I wouldn't crawl on your belly over broken glass for one.

In the sound card recording thread I've got some recordings of GUS, SC55 and XR385 of Rise of the Triad songs if you want to compare.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 751 of 52865, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up a Dell 15" LCD for $15 at a thrift store today. Has a pinhole sized flaw of some sort in the dead center but it's not noticable enough to be a distraction. It's the perfect size for my cramped bedroom desk. Now my old Compaq PIII box has it's own monitor again.

Byc6G.jpg

Reply 752 of 52865, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sadly I never see any used LCD monitors in good enough condition to buy at my local thrift/goodwill stores. Usually the screens are just scratched and scuffed to hell. My space LCD I have was just a lucky find on the side of the road over a year ago, that was sitting there on a dresser with some Athlon 64 computer and Xbox 360 vga cable waiting for the trashmen to do a pick up.

Reply 753 of 52865, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mostly the case here. I'll see LCDs all the time but they almost never work. However, this one place that just opened a few months ago seems to have working LCDs on a regular basis and they never price them above $20. The worst one I saw at that particular store was a 17" Gateway that had some scratches and vertical lines. This Dell I just had to have; especially for the price. Looks much better than the circa 2010 AOC widescreen LCD I use for my daily driver computer; now a circa 2005 Dell XPS.

Same store I bought a Palm TX at for $10 (glad it was only $10 as, unfortunately, I lost it less than a month later after having some vodka) and later, I saw a HP iPaq (unsure of model, new enough to have wifi) but I didn't have any cash on me at the time.

Unfortunately, it's very rare to see actual computers in good condition at any of the stores. There's often computers, just rarely in good enough shape to be worth the numbers on their price tag.

Reply 754 of 52865, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

I own an XR385, SC55, GUS classic, AWE32 .... and its really down to personal preference.

I like the XR385 the most but some games sound better than others with different sound devices...

but yes, the GUS is nice to have but I wouldn't crawl on your belly over broken glass for one.

Now that I finally have mine working, I can wholeheartedly agree.

Heck, you can even get variations within the one game, as ProfessorProfessorson has shown.

Doom's intro and E1M1 music sound pretty goofy on a GUS, while sounding great on XR385 or with a good soundfont, but E1M5's music actually sounds amazing through the GUS.

I reckon for the ultimate Doom experience, you'd need to mix-and-match recordings from all different sound cards.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 755 of 52865, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That’s almost identical to my Dell 15” (you can see it in the pics of your computing area thread) accept mine has 5 buttons on the right for contrast, brightness, etc.
It’s a tough little thing I’ve moved house 6 times usually using public transport in a pull along bag (so lots of bouncing up & down stairs) I cant remember what condition it was in when I liberated it from work but its got a largish pin hole which you only see when its black a few scratches you only see when its white & a few what like shadows about the size of a fingerprint you can see that all the time but not a single dead pixel!
What I like about it though is it has a button on the front to select which input so you can use it on 2 PC’s simultaneously just like a KVM (will the M part anyway)

Like you say it’s also the perfect size for my small little bedroom

Reply 756 of 52865, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been on a roll this month. I picked up yet another Dell product... For $15 at the same thrift store I paid $15 for the 15" Dell LCD just the other day, I picked up a Dell dimension 4500 tower. 2ghz Pentium 4 (Northwood), 1gb DDR266, 250gb hard drive, dead DVD drive, somewhat dead CDRW drive.

It seems to run well enough and it's in very good condition; just in need of a good dusting as most computers more than a year old. This system should prove to be a fun toy, I hope. to make things better, it matches the LCD I just got.

Reply 757 of 52865, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ProfessorProfessorson wrote:

Sadly I never see any used LCD monitors in good enough condition to buy at my local thrift/goodwill stores. Usually the screens are just scratched and scuffed to hell. My space LCD I have was just a lucky find on the side of the road over a year ago, that was sitting there on a dresser with some Athlon 64 computer and Xbox 360 vga cable waiting for the trashmen to do a pick up.

I'm still waiting for someone to throw out a SGI 1600SW. 😜 😁