VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1540 of 52968, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Double-sigma means it's a good cpu. The ones with trouble running 32-bit code say something like "For 16-bit code only." Those messed up chips are pretty rare thus making them a nifty collectors conversation piece.

Reply 1542 of 52968, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After a lot of wasted money and time, I think I've finally concluded my Raidmax Tornado case is what killed two of my motherboards in my attempted Voodoo5 build. The mounting holes are slightly closer to the expansion slots than they should be, which on the lower slots would make the blanking brackets rub the mobo. I figure either that, or some other issue with the case that I didn't notice was causing a short. Blegh.

Anyways, I've got the rig up and running sans case with a sweet Asus A7V333 I bought, and I just ordered a Coolermaster Elite 311 from Newegg to house this thing in. Not retro (neither was the Raidmax though) but I've used this case before and I adore it, it has 3.5" external bays for my floppy drive unlike a lot of new cases, has a window to show off the V5, has decent airflow (I think a 120mm front intake should be enough to tame the V5), and I got it with the orange trim to match the 3Dfx logo. Set me back some money but I just want this build to finally be done.

Also snagged myself a cheap PowerMac G3 Blue&White that doesn't have a videocard, since I have that spare Mac Rage128 from when I was building my SLI rig and didn't realize it was a Mac card. I also bought a PDS-connector ethernet card for my Mac LC550 so that I can easily put software on it without using floppies, and I'm hoping to win a Mac GeForce TI-4600 for my dual 867MHz MDD, which is the fastest card supported in OS9. It appears SquallStrife was right...

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 1543 of 52968, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got my hands on two trash picked imac G3, one was so badly rotted that I broke it down into parts. The plastic that held the picture tube cracked into pieces. The second imac G3 was the 700mhz model and on the sticker on the bottom read as imac se 700,gr,512, 60gb. Still runs despite being full of dirt and plant debris.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1544 of 52968, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

15y1yh.jpg

This nice little Enhanced Floppy drive card (very handy in a old skool XT computer)

ill keep it for spare.

The price wasnt that crazy!

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1545 of 52968, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found a 286-20 motherboard with a Harris chip in it. It looks pretty straightforward just to swap a different clock oscillator in to get it up to 25mhz. I think I could search in vain for years and not see one with official 25mhz support, so this will have to do.It has 4 30-pin slots and VLSI chipset which is known to work in motherboards officially supporting 25mhz operation.

I also found a 225mhz IDT Winchip. Seeing what the few people who have Winchip2's are asking for them, I think this is probably going to be the best way to get a Winchip faster than the common 200mhz.

Reply 1546 of 52968, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a good deal on 2 XFX Radeon 5850 1GB cards from a friend of mine. 50 dollars total 😀 One of the cards were missing the fan though, but that is easily fixed. Crossfire here I come and it's a nice upgrade from my 4850 with 512mb ram.

20121008_035330_small.jpg

Last edited by vetz on 2012-10-09, 20:20. Edited 1 time in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1547 of 52968, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

day-um! nice score vets. I like the 5000 series vards. I have a single 5870. I'm willing to bet you can flash those cards to 5870 speeds and have a kickass system.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1548 of 52968, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few stuff I bought recently (I haven't received any of them yet though):
matrox-mystique-discs.jpg
voodoo3-2000pci.jpg
cf-vew212box.jpg
I already have this soundcard, but this time it comes with the box and an extra floppy wich might contain the elusive MS-DOS MPU401 driver (once available from Panasonic website, but not anymore).

And the pièce de résistance, for my BeOS-related collection:
edirol-dv-7dl-front.jpg
edirol-dv-7dl-back.jpg
edirol-dv-7dl-internal.jpg

Reply 1549 of 52968, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Technically I bought it a few days ago, but I just received in the mail a Kernel Joyport ADB. Neat little doodad that allows you to use PC, Sega, Atari, Playstation and N64 joysticks with an ADB Mac. Considering that I have pretty much every kind of joystick/gamepad except an ADB one, this makes quite a nice addition.

@lolo799

Nice. I have a first-gen DV-7, which seems to be the exact same hardware in a slightly different case. Unfortunately, the hard drive in mine is fucked, and I haven't found any way to get ahold of a system install disc or anything to restore it. Does yours have a working system on it?

Reply 1550 of 52968, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to the pictures in the auction, yes, it works, whether it will still work when I receive it is another matter...if it does, the first thing I'll do is backup the hdd.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 1552 of 52968, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vlask wrote:

Not so old, but not usual stuff too. Wildcat VP990 Pro with 512MB

Wow, quite rarely seen on ebay uk - what will you use it for?

[Pretty much xp-only-card I think - with 2000 the later sp's cause driver crashes on boot afaik.]

Reply 1553 of 52968, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow now that's an interesting card. Some very quick research shows it was intended for workstation/CAD use, like the Nvidia Quadras? That cooler looks like the ones used on some of the Geforce4 TI cards, down to the little curve on the top right; wonder if they sourced that design from Nvidia.

Reply 1554 of 52968, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the fire and quadro cards are in fact EXACTLY the same as their radeon and geforce brothers. they just have a different bios that enables the cad functions. The major thing to remember, cad cards are about EXACT PRECISION with speed being 2nd. gaming cards is the other way around.

I remember a Maximum pc issue back in 2000? ush? where they ran quake 3 on some CAD cards and compared them to gaming cards. I should go look for that.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1555 of 52968, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the fire and quadro cards are in fact EXACTLY the same as their radeon and geforce brothers. they just have a different bios that enables the cad functions.

That is not entirely true. Some of them are the same, but quite a few have slight differences from the consumer-class cards... sometimes more (but often slower) memory, sometimes disabled pipelines, different clock speeds, etc.

Reply 1556 of 52968, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ratfink wrote:

[Wow, quite rarely seen on ebay uk - what will you use it for?

[Pretty much xp-only-card I think - with 2000 the later sp's cause driver crashes on boot afaik.]

Now nothing, already tested it in some benchmarks and it ends in mine collection. Maybe in future (years) will do some testing with cad benchamarks and will do some compare with game cards of same era. But still don't have enough these cards, time and good testing platform (dual cpu motheboard with universal AGP Pro bus based on intel chipset).

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 1557 of 52968, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not that old but I caved in and bought a Power Mac G5 locally for $150. 5gb ram, single 1.8ghz G5, airport extreme installed, and a 1tb drive loaded with 10.5.8

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1558 of 52968, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds like everyone here on Vogons is getting hit with the PPC Macintosh bug 🤣

If everything goes well I'll be picking up something pretty cool tomorrow... I don't have a system for it yet but I'll find one in due time, I wanted to snag this bad boy up though.

Oh also, (back on the Mac subject) I recently got a brand new Mac GeForce4 Ti-4600 for my dual 867MHz MDD for I think it was $60ish shipped... probably more than that card should be worth, but it was a good deal compared to what they normally go for on Ebay. It's the most powerful card that's supported in OS9, and since this machine dualboots OS 9.2.2 and 10.4 Tiger, I wanted the ultimate card for OS9 (as well as pretty awesome for OSX). The card is quite funny as it's basically full-length; a good, oh I'd say about 1/3rd of the card is completely empty PCB space. This is so that the back of the card can slide into the slot thingy on the opposite end as the PCI brackets, and I guess provide some extra support or something? Or maybe for airflow control? Seems a bit silly to me but it does look pretty cool, and the card is loads better than the GeForce4 MX that was in it. It plays the Halo trial very nicely now.

I mean look at this goofy thing:
nVidia-GeForce4-Titanium-128MB-DDR-AGP-image.jpg

Reply 1559 of 52968, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CapnCrunch53 wrote:
Sounds like everyone here on Vogons is getting hit with the PPC Macintosh bug XD […]
Show full quote

Sounds like everyone here on Vogons is getting hit with the PPC Macintosh bug 🤣

If everything goes well I'll be picking up something pretty cool tomorrow... I don't have a system for it yet but I'll find one in due time, I wanted to snag this bad boy up though.

Oh also, (back on the Mac subject) I recently got a brand new Mac GeForce4 Ti-4600 for my dual 867MHz MDD for I think it was $60ish shipped... probably more than that card should be worth, but it was a good deal compared to what they normally go for on Ebay. It's the most powerful card that's supported in OS9, and since this machine dualboots OS 9.2.2 and 10.4 Tiger, I wanted the ultimate card for OS9 (as well as pretty awesome for OSX). The card is quite funny as it's basically full-length; a good, oh I'd say about 1/3rd of the card is completely empty PCB space. This is so that the back of the card can slide into the slot thingy on the opposite end as the PCI brackets, and I guess provide some extra support or something? Or maybe for airflow control? Seems a bit silly to me but it does look pretty cool, and the card is loads better than the GeForce4 MX that was in it. It plays the Halo trial very nicely now.

I mean look at this goofy thing:
nVidia-GeForce4-Titanium-128MB-DDR-AGP-image.jpg

I guess they didn't want to have to spend extra production time producing brackets to extend the card to full length, so they just cut the PCB extra long.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z