VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1700 of 52748, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:

The LAPC-I also requires -5V which modern power supplies don't provide.

That because of the older machines used to consume most of their power from the 3.3/5 volt rail but since the Athlon 64 and Pentium 4, computers they now consumed most of their power from the 12 volt rail.
So there for you have look for ATX12V v1.3 and in some case even v2.0/2.1 compliance spec may have a -5v up to 2amp max rating listed on the spec sticker.

Reply 1701 of 52748, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shspvr wrote:
DonutKing wrote:

The LAPC-I also requires -5V which modern power supplies don't provide.

That because of the older machines used to consume most of their power from the 3.3/5 volt rail but since the Athlon 64 and Pentium 4, computers they now consumed most of their power from the 12 volt rail.

Er, no.

-5V and -12V exist to provide logic levels for circuits without their own inverters. -5V isn't provided to a PCI slot, so once ISA slots disappeared, so did the need for a -5V supply.

When serial ports finally disappear, -12V will probably disappear too. It could disappear right now TBH, since RS232 drivers like MAX232 and MAX3232 generate their own negative voltage reference internally.

Plus, PCI Express doesn't have any pins for -12V. I bet you could cut the -12V supply on a modern PC and it would run just fine.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1703 of 52748, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

Caved in and bought a Jaton 9400 GT pci 1GB off amazon :s I hope that $42 was worth it 🤣

Whats the point of that card? It doesnt support windows 98, its not going to perform well being pci.

Reply 1704 of 52748, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dirkmirk wrote:
nforce4max wrote:

Caved in and bought a Jaton 9400 GT pci 1GB off amazon :s I hope that $42 was worth it 🤣

Whats the point of that card? It doesnt support windows 98, its not going to perform well being pci.

It's one of the fastest PCI card available. The only other things in it's class would be the 9500GT PCI and the 8600GT PCI and they are both a bit faster. Realistically, only the 9500GT is readily obtainable as the 8600GT PCI wasn't available for very long. The PCI cards that came after support more features, but they are all slower. It will be a while, if ever, before another PCI card is released that outperforms it. For a 2K/XP rig with only PCI slots it's about as good as it gets.

Reply 1705 of 52748, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just received a pair of 12MB Voodoo2s. Mismatched, but close enough. Came with an SLI cable and the cheapo, thin pass-through cable some of these cards shipped with back in the day. Probably going to replace that with a nice 6" VGA port saver cable.

3dfxvoodoo212mbsli.jpg

3dfxvoodoo212mbsli2.jpg

3dfxvoodoo212mbsli3.jpg

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 1707 of 52748, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tincup wrote:

Nice, but don't you have the "brick"? Why are you playing with this kids stuff?;)

Nah, don't have the brick. Yet...

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 1709 of 52748, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
dirkmirk wrote:
nforce4max wrote:

It's one of the fastest PCI card available. The only other things in it's class would be the 9500GT PCI and the 8600GT PCI and they are both a bit faster. Realistically, only the 9500GT is readily obtainable as the 8600GT PCI wasn't available for very long. The PCI cards that came after support more features, but they are all slower. It will be a while, if ever, before another PCI card is released that outperforms it. For a 2K/XP rig with only PCI slots it's about as good as it gets.

Please forgive my ignorance on the speed comparison, but.... wondering how would this one fare ?
Faster/slower/other ?
(ZOTAC GeForce GT 610, 512MB DDR3, PCI)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0083Y1YVE/

Reply 1710 of 52748, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bestemor wrote:
Please forgive my ignorance on the speed comparison, but.... wondering how would this one fare ? Faster/slower/other ? (ZOTAC […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:
dirkmirk wrote:

Please forgive my ignorance on the speed comparison, but.... wondering how would this one fare ?
Faster/slower/other ?

The gains over anything faster than a 9500 gt pci is very small and the GT430 that Zotac made for pci isn't much of a boost and in general that GT520/610 that they migrated to pci is good as it gets. The 512mb vram will hold it back especially games that use a lot of memory but are not complete cpu hogs. At lest mine was cheap and easy to work with but I might not buy into any more vintage projects due to my latest obsession that is Bitcoin mining. Too late to the party for gpu mining and asic isn't on the market yet (complains as badly as a group of "old" people).

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1711 of 52748, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bestemor wrote:
Please forgive my ignorance on the speed comparison, but.... wondering how would this one fare ? Faster/slower/other ? (ZOTAC […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:
dirkmirk wrote:

Faster/slower/other ?

The newest PCI card I can compare with the 9500GT would be the Zotac GT520. The GT610 hasn't been out long enough for the comparison site I use to list the specs. I don't expect that the GT610 would be a lot faster than a GT520, at least not enough faster to completely catch it up to the 9500GT but it would be getting pretty close. The memory bandwith would be a real killer if the GT610 only uses 64-bit memory access and as was mentioned previously, 512mb would be cramped for games that use a lot of large textures. Even a game as old as Oblivion really pushes a 512mb video card.

Reply 1712 of 52748, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
bestemor wrote:
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

Faster/slower/other ?

The newest PCI card I can compare with the 9500GT would be the Zotac GT520. The GT610 hasn't been out long enough for the comparison site I use to list the specs. I don't expect that the GT610 would be a lot faster than a GT520, at least not enough faster to completely catch it up to the 9500GT but it would be getting pretty close. The memory bandwith would be a real killer if the GT610 only uses 64-bit memory access and as was mentioned previously, 512mb would be cramped for games that use a lot of large textures. Even a game as old as Oblivion really pushes a 512mb video card.

The GT520 and the GT610 are the same physical card. Anyway that Jaton 9400 GT that I bought came in today and it has all 32 shaders enabled 😎

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1713 of 52748, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You gotta love it when people can provide you with old computer hardware for free or at a low price. Over the past week, I got a fair bit of old computer parts from one of my good buddies:

-Two 286 boards, one fully functional, the other has faulty RAM as it locks up during POST while testing the RAM (both also need new batteries)
-A 386SX board with cache slots (I'm gonna have some fun with this one and try to push the hardware as far as it can go before becoming unstable)
-An ISA-only 486 motherboard (I posted about this earlier, works well, but needs a new battery)
-A VLB Socket 4 Pentium motherboard (had a bad tantalum capacitor on the -12V rail. I never replaced the capacitor, but I don't know if the cap is actually necessary; it may be as the motherboard does not POST)
-Two Socket 7 Pentium motherboards, one from Soyo (does not POST), the other from AOpen (fully functional)
-Some I/O cards
-An ISA RAM card with 1MB of RAM on it (can't remember the name of the card)
-A SCSI CD writer (this is going in my 486DX2 build)
-A 60MHz Socket 4 Pentium
-Two 166MHz non-MMX Pentium CPUs (on the Socket 7 motherboards)
-4 4MB 30-pin SIMMs
-2 72-pin SIMMs of unknown size
-2 32MB PC-100 SDRAM sticks
-An AT power supply (fully functional)
-An ATi Mach 32 graphics card (fully functional)
-Two 5 1/4-inch floppy drives
-A GAL16V8 for when I get a SoundBlaster 2.0 CT1350B in the future

This was all free of charge. Hopefully, I can get some good RAM for the second 286 motherboard (both have 10MHz Intel 286es, but one has a Cyrix 287XL) and I can get the Socket 4 Pentium and the non-working Socket 7 Pentium up and running.

And yesterday, I was at a family friend's pawn shop and found ANOTHER Roland MT-32, a 2nd-generation unit, this time. I nearly fell on my a** when I found out how much he wanted for it. It was really beat-up, but it works beautifully (although it seems the audio output is noticeably lower than a 1st-generation MT-32). This MT-32 cost me, I kid you not, $10.

Also bought a generic ESS AudioDrive ES1868F-based sound card for $5. And let me tell you something, for a cheap generic card, its audio quality blows a lot of more expensive cards out of the water; VERY loud audio output, a decent amount of filtering that strikes a good balance between low frequencies and high frequencies, and very little noise. I was really impressed with this card; despite its use of ESFM, this has become one of my favorite ISA sound cards.

I'll post some pictures of everything I got over the coming days.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 1714 of 52748, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MOAR! 😀

Gateway 2000 P5-60 (1st Pentium!!) - A little banged up during shipping, but fully working with Vivitron 15 monitor (aka - Sony Trinitron which was the step up from the "CrystalScan" back in the day.)

dscf6796q.jpg
dscf6787s.jpg
dscf6788.jpg

Retro build bonanza!

dscf6774v.jpg
dscf6779.jpg
dscf6784b.jpg
dscf6785t.jpg
dscf6786m.jpg

Starting to run out of room. 😀

dscf6820p.jpg

Reply 1715 of 52748, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8715/dscf6774v.jpg […]
Show full quote

dscf6774v.jpg

My mums C2D PC is still in one of those small beige MicroATX cases... 😵 Definitely needs replacing.[/i][/b]

Reply 1717 of 52748, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6287/dscf6796q.jpg […]
Show full quote

dscf6796q.jpg

that's one cool looking mid-'90s system. SUPPORT!

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 1718 of 52748, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is on it's way from Japan to me... Damn shipping is costing me more than the item itself 😜

ok_h_2000-img600x450-1355041114i14iix2546.jpg

For those that don't know what it is:

NEC PowerVR PCX2 (or PCX1, not sure 🤣) boxed
Cybertroopers: Virtual On for PowerVR bundle
Also includes the official arcade joystick for the PC

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes