VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1940 of 52670, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought 10 Copper Silent 3 Socket A/Socket 370 CPU coolers NIB for quite cheap. Now I'm set for life! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1941 of 52670, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

I couldn't stop laughing at sprcorreia's signature. This pretty much sums up our aspirations here.

System downgrading, please wait...

█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

it's... awesome!!!

/OT

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1942 of 52670, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

I couldn't stop laughing at sprcorreia's signature. This pretty much sums up our aspirations here.

System downgrading, please wait...

█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

keropi wrote:

it's... awesome!!!

/OT

Glad you guys like it. I wanted to use more ascii but the forum returns a "signature too big" message...

Reply 1945 of 52670, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:
New arrivals! […]
Show full quote

New arrivals!

Creative CT1320C **WITH** CMS Chips! 😁
dscf0022custom.jpg
dscf0028custom.jpg
dscf0029custom.jpg
[/b]

If I hadn't sold mine several months ago I'd have sworn you had bought it.
😉

Too bad I needed the money more than the card at the time, kinda jealous now...

Reply 1946 of 52670, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another AT case, just for about 5 dollars. But look at the deliberate ugliness of it... 😁

http://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/alisveris-bilg … classifiedTitle

People are weird. 😏

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 1947 of 52670, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tayyare wrote:

Another AT case, just for about 5 dollars. But look at the deliberate ugliness of it... 😁

People are weird. 😏

I like the staggered case badges. Nice touch. 😀

Reply 1948 of 52670, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

wow, this case looks it's in a VERY good condition, nice catch!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1949 of 52670, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tayyare wrote:

People are weird. 😏

Damn, that's one ugly fucker! Good catch! 😁

Edit:And in really good condition too! Most of my AT cases have at least some yellowing

Edit2:Actually, the more I look at it, the more potential it seems to have

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1950 of 52670, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

wow, this case looks it's in a VERY good condition, nice catch!

Yeah, it is, thanks... 😁

Especially thinking that I paid to a much more worn out one (with a PCChips socket7 mobo and MMX233) about 50 bucks last week 😅 ...

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 1951 of 52670, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That case reminds me a lot. I have a school mate whose dad owns a computer shop near my house, and used to sell those cases. I had bought one for the pentium 100 pc I had. Later I gave it to a friend who sold it... Last year I was given an identical case for free, but it was very yellowed. I tried the retrobright thing, but wasn't that much successful , (the yellowing had gone away but not evenly on the complete area). And after a few months it seems to me that it's very yellow again. 🙁

Reply 1952 of 52670, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Markk wrote:

That case reminds me a lot. I have a school mate whose dad owns a computer shop near my house, and used to sell those cases. I had bought one for the pentium 100 pc I had. Later I gave it to a friend who sold it... Last year I was given an identical case for free, but it was very yellowed. I tried the retrobright thing, but wasn't that much successful , (the yellowing had gone away but not evenly on the complete area). And after a few months it seems to me that it's very yellow again. 🙁

What is retrobright?

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 1954 of 52670, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got some new toys yesterday...

Together with some friends I bought six 21" shadow mask CRTs! One Eizo F930, 3x Eizo F77 and 2x Philips 21BA. I should have taken a picture of the car, they just barely fit in. Good thing I had to drive so I didn't have 40kgs of glass on my balls for 70 km 🤣

I went home with the F930 and one F77. The F930 is amazing! It does 2048x1536 at 80Hz, and maxes out at 160Hz on resolutions 1024x768 and below. Havent tested the F77 yet but I believe it has a bit less impressive specifications.

The Philips screens were from 1991! These must have cost a fortune back then... One odd thing about these was that they have a separate LCD display for the menu, instead of an OSD. Don't know any specs about them though.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I can find the camera's usb cable.

Reply 1955 of 52670, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Niiiiiiiiiiice.

Nothing quite like quality 21" CRT monitors. I have two Dell P1130s myself (not shadow mask though, they are aperture grille, but they are Trinitron tubes, so still very nice), salvaged from the "This room full of stuff is being destroyed" room at work. Wonderful monitors.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1956 of 52670, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally found the cable, here are some pictures:

Here's one next to the Philips Brilliance trinitron I was using earlier:
img2186xa.jpg

As you can see they're exactly the same size, but when you're right in front of it the Philips appears to be smaller. Also the Eizo is much more energy efficient. Both take 150W but the Eizo just stays cool, while the Philips runs so burning hot, you could toast some bread on it!

Next to a 14" tube:
img2162xx.jpg

Next to an IBM 5151:
img2189xy.jpg

Yeah, it's alive!
img2167x.jpg

Ooooh this thing is sharp! (clicky link, huge pic ahead)
http://imageshack.us/a/img94/1742/img2172x.jpg

As I said the F77 has less impressive specs, max 1600x1200 at 75Hz, but the tubes seem to be identical.
The F930 has some nice options, for example you can set the color temperature from 4000K to 10000K in steps of 500, instead of only being able to choose between 6500 and 9300K. The signal filters are adjustable to minimize ghosting, and you can even change the convergence and uniformity from within the user menu. The colors are spot-on btw, even at default settings gray for example is dead neutral gray without any tinting.
The previous owner told me these monitors were used for CAD work, photo editing, and lots of Quake 🤣

It's hard to believe there are even better monitors available. The F980 for example is identical but has 500MHz max pixel clock rate!! Are there even any graphics cards that can keep up with that? 🤣

Besides I just heard the Philips monitors have an RS-232 port 😳 I wonder what you could do with it... Now I wish I got one of those instead of the F77...

Reply 1958 of 52670, by dustar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've thrown away a few of my CRT's -with some sadness in my heart. They were standing in the basement for years, unused, and I needed the space.
Just kept one of every size: 14", 15" 17" and 19". Got a few Atari ST's screens and an IBM 5150 too.

Reply 1959 of 52670, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

"Radiation king"?! 😁

Your place is pretty much filled to the top with great CRTs. Terrific stuff.

Heh, yeah the sticker says RADIATION KING, I put that on because it runs really hot so I figured it would be a fitting name. That was before I got the 21" Philips, which generates even more heat. MUCH more.