VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 2460 of 52968, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The performance increases were insane when those cards and the previous couple of generations came out.

The 6800 Ultra I was blown away

The 7800GTX trounced the 6800 Ultra

Than the 8800GTX came out and monstered the 7800GTX, those performance increases were massive and the 9 series was so so,

Reply 2461 of 52968, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately the solder was bad for the 6+7+8 series. Seen so many dead chips, especially the passively cooled ones and mobiles. I still hold it against NVidia since.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 2462 of 52968, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yea, quite a few Nvidia cards are dead from bad solder joints, but there are also a ton of older ATI 9700/9800 series that baked themselves to death as well.

I put together 2 "retro" gaming rigs recently , one has dual XFX 8800 GS 320MB in SLI (Opteron 2.6ghz AM2), the other has a pair of BFG 8800 GTS OC 640MB in SLI (AM2+ Phenon X3 board).

People are still paying a decent amount of cash for the last generation AGP cards.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 2463 of 52968, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nothing that is exciting but decent for just $10.

13in crt from 1992, Radioshack Serial mouse , Generic 5pin-din keyboard ,GCT-8IV (430VX) 48mb ram, 1.2gb quantum fireball, and a 150 P1 that was retail boxed. All in all the system is a neat find for only $10 at a yard sale. All it needs is a new graphics card as Trident cards are lame for early 3D ect and the SB64 value edition doesn't suit my tastes.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2464 of 52968, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ Not a bad haul for ten bucks.

I've been getting back into old VHS/Beta movies lately, and I've started browsing through eBay and collecting some various capture cards to try for digitizing some of them... and I think some of these cards would count as 'retro'. My most recent pickups are a Hauppauge PVR-250 (2003-ish) and an ATi All-in-Wonder X600. I've also got a bid in on a breakout box and cable to go with my old Matrox RT2000 system (G400 + encoder board)... I don't figure there'll be much competition on that auction, so I may as well go ahead and count it as a pickup too.

Reply 2465 of 52968, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a new laser:

VOTC41Ml.jpg

To fix my PC Engine Duo:

hv6rhXNl.jpg

So that I can play Dracula X (Castlevania: Rondo of Blood)

26ujawGl.jpg
DWEckGAl.jpg
m6FwjMDl.jpg
dTaeWYql.jpg

Winning.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2466 of 52968, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wmodem_s.jpg

I recently put together this "wireless" modem solution for my Tandy 1000 RLX setup. It's probably not the most exciting thing in the world to most folks here, and is hardly retro besides, but it does make for an interesting photo... 😀

Reply 2467 of 52968, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

Did you know that it's been translated recently? You can rip the iso, patch it, and play it on the original hardware.

Reply 2468 of 52968, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fantasma wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

Did you know that it's been translated recently? You can rip the iso, patch it, and play it on the original hardware.

I can see a 2012 translation here: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/846/ , is this the one?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2469 of 52968, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:
fantasma wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

I can see a 2012 translation here: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/846/ , is this the one?

Yep, that one! According to the translator's website almost everything is translated, it even has english voiceovers from the PSP version.

Reply 2470 of 52968, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

still sealed 😁

5f4qj8.jpg

2gt963q.jpg

and that's the insides of a MU80 that I also grabbed:

14xpi1i.jpg

edit: more pics, seems there is a fix on the other side of the MU80 , it connects to the YM6104 pins:

14v6veu.jpg

2qkhxtv.jpg

2cy1isi.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2472 of 52968, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fantasma wrote:
keropi wrote:
fantasma wrote:

Yep, that one! According to the translator's website almost everything is translated, it even has english voiceovers from the PSP version.

Hmmmm...

I think I know what I'm doing tonight!

Thanks for the heads-up! 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2473 of 52968, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks carlostex!
I'm trying to gather synths that have game usage, the MU80 is an overkill for that but the price was right 😉

Reply 2474 of 52968, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

thanks carlostex!
I'm trying to gather synths that have game usage, the MU80 is an overkill for that but the price was right 😉

Don't think about it being overkill but rather it being awesome!!!

Reply 2475 of 52968, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The MU2000EX is not at all an overkill synth. I love mine, and its great for many GM based games. But quite often, the so called GM based game is really meant for an SC-55. If you try to play those games on any other synth, you will hear anything form bad/wrong instruments to the melody being totally out of wack. One of the great features of the MU1000 and MU2000 is the EX patch. It upgrades the units Yamaha 300B mode (which is like a lite version of the SC-55 soundmap but kinda poor), to an official Roland SC-55 soundmap. It still uses Yamaha samples of course, but it still sounds very good and you get the Yamaha drums which are quite nice. So you can just switch to SC-55 mode if you run into a "GM" game that doesn't like Yamaha's native GX mode.

I would always recommend getting a real SC-55 first though as they have such a great sound signature that just cant be copied 100%, and the going price of the MU1000/2000 units is still pretty high. I feel that I got a good deal on mine at about $200.00 but thats not great. Plus I had to pay another $65.00 for shipping from Japan. Compare that to the SC-55 I listed a couple of pages back, and I only paid $5.50 and got everything under the sun with it. But if you have other midi game rigs like the X68000, Atari ST's, and even the Amiga line (though not many games for the Amiga used midi), then its a great value in that price range.

Reply 2476 of 52968, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this delivered for $15.50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATX-Tower-Computer-Ca … e-/330987842801

Enlight AT tower barely used no discoloration. Came with a Sony floppy drive in a 5.25" sled that has an adapter to convert the pin edge to the old style slot edge connector with the 4 pin molex power plug normally used on hard drives. Building my 486 Gigabyte EISA/VLB system into it, waiting on a cool EISA caching (DTC 3290AS) SCSI controller in the mail. Not sure about which video card to use, but I do have an EISA 10/100 network card for it.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 2477 of 52968, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kodai wrote:

The MU2000EX is not at all an overkill synth. I love mine, and its great for many GM based games. But quite often, the so called GM based game is really meant for an SC-55. If you try to play those games on any other synth, you will hear anything form bad/wrong instruments to the melody being totally out of wack. One of the great features of the MU1000 and MU2000 is the EX patch. It upgrades the units Yamaha 300B mode (which is like a lite version of the SC-55 soundmap but kinda poor), to an official Roland SC-55 soundmap. It still uses Yamaha samples of course, but it still sounds very good and you get the Yamaha drums which are quite nice. So you can just switch to SC-55 mode if you run into a "GM" game that doesn't like Yamaha's native GX mode.

I would always recommend getting a real SC-55 first though as they have such a great sound signature that just cant be copied 100%, and the going price of the MU1000/2000 units is still pretty high. I feel that I got a good deal on mine at about $200.00 but thats not great. Plus I had to pay another $65.00 for shipping from Japan. Compare that to the SC-55 I listed a couple of pages back, and I only paid $5.50 and got everything under the sun with it. But if you have other midi game rigs like the X68000, Atari ST's, and even the Amiga line (though not many games for the Amiga used midi), then its a great value in that price range.

Agree, even though not 100% the MU2000EX can sound pretty damn close to a Sound Canvas.

Reply 2478 of 52968, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I picked up this NIB AT case from an old bloke down the road who runs the computer shop that time forgot. I've gotten some great stuff from him over the years but dealing with him is kind of like playing an old text based adventure game - I have to phrase my "do you have" questions exactly right, or he just can't parse them. I'm sure I've enquired after AT cases before and come away empty handed but this time I got my syntax right and he dragged this thing out. He called it a server case, and it does have plenty of room in it for an AT. It weights a ton and is very well built for a generic case of this era, no finger slicing edges. But best of all it came with a PSU - I haven't seen a new AT PSU since the mid 90's.

IMG_4252_zpse4a3e99f.jpg

IMG_4259_zps333fb47f.jpg

IMG_4261_zps83287795.jpg

IMG_4267_zpsc42b0261.jpg

IMG_4274_zps14988dce.jpg

IMG_4256_zpsfdbdb281.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.