Topic actions

Reply 2820 of 52976, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bristlehog wrote:

Welcome to Vogons!

Thanks.
Yeah, maybe someone will be interested: made some comparison of game-sounds (grabbed only directly from games in clean dos) some years ago http://kawai.spb.ru/files/sound/

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 2821 of 52976, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Voodoo5 5500 AGP (Finally)
ASUS HD3450 (for my hybrid x-fire build)
Athlon T-bird 1400c
Hercules Stingray 128

And recently I scored a Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 agp. That'll be going into a P4 Willamette build

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 2822 of 52976, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just bagged this while randomly browsing the Interwebs. Box is beat to hell but the (complete) insides look great and will be a welcome addition to my other CMS box - which coincidentally is in great shape but lacking the items besides the card itself.

Creative Music System for ~$30 shipped!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181268636707

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2823 of 52976, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also, picked up a boxed & complete Packard Bell Legend 125 system recently. The stock PB410A board was bad, so I swapped it with a slightly newer PB450 Opti-based board since the mounting points are identical in this form-factor. The original processor was a 486SX 25Mhz chip but now it's running a 486DX2/66. Fortunately, another member on the Vintage Computer forums pointed me to a PB450 riser for sale on eBay to complete the setup.

Also fired up my (newish) Packard Bell Legend 2000 multimedia PC. Opened it up and to my surprise, found a Packard Bell-labeled Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro! Did not realize what it was when I first opened it this summer. Had some fun with this thing today..

Flying toasters for the win!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2824 of 52976, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
easy_john wrote:
bristlehog wrote:

Welcome to Vogons!

Thanks.
Yeah, maybe someone will be interested: made some comparison of game-sounds (grabbed only directly from games in clean dos) some years ago http://kawai.spb.ru/files/sound/

horrible how bad the sb 2.0 compares to all other cards 😁
nice collection btw.

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 2825 of 52976, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

Creative Music System for ~$30 shipped!

Bah, it seems that soon vintage computing stuff will start coming to your door by itself, without any need to browse ebay and pay something!

- Ding-ding!
- Who's there!?
- It's me, T-1000... er, Adlib Gold 1000!

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 2827 of 52976, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

Oh the memories of playing UT2k4 on this... 🤣

How was it? I know the Kyro2 appears to be a dx7 card in spec (minus hw t&l) so it would've been an....interesting experience.

Now Im searching for the most appropriate 462 board for my t-bird/V5 combo. I'm leaning towards the A7V133. Thoughts anyone?

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 2828 of 52976, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was shitty. I was playing the demo a lot when it came out (still one of the best demos ever released in terms of maps, I think)... all I remember is that it was an Athlon XP system with 256 megs of RAM and I had to set everything on low. Even then it couldn't render all effects, I distinctly remember being amazed by the now-transparent health packs when I first saw the game on proper hardware. Eventually the card died from overheating, all it showed in this game were wireframes. I already thought about setting up a system with parts from this crap hardware era (cap rot, insufficient heatsinks/case cooling etc) to relive the shitty experiences, but then again something prevents me from investing even one cent in this 😀 maybe someday...

I'm sure it was a competent card for games up to 2001 or so... it just happened that when I owned it I wanted to play the latest games and it didn't work out all that well.

Reply 2829 of 52976, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Forevermore wrote:
d1stortion wrote:

Oh the memories of playing UT2k4 on this... 🤣

How was it? I know the Kyro2 appears to be a dx7 card in spec (minus hw t&l) so it would've been an....interesting experience.

Now Im searching for the most appropriate 462 board for my t-bird/V5 combo. I'm leaning towards the A7V133. Thoughts anyone?

With the abundance of GeForce 2/3 cards out there for low prices I wouldn't buy a Kyro as a serious gaming card. I have a 4000XT and a 4500 myself and they generally only perform on par with the low end of the market for their time period in spite of their advanced features. They are OK for testing purposes and to fill gaps in your collection but other cards from the period game much better. Low clock speeds and memory bandwith kill these cards. A GeForce2 GTS will beat a Kyro2 nearly every time.

Last edited by sliderider on 2013-11-25, 12:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2830 of 52976, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got myself a second Roland CM500 for 20 dollars + shipping.

I'm curious why so little interest as I linked it here:
Topic 34088

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2831 of 52976, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Customs fees+hassle is what kills such deals for me personally... and other electronics that I'd be more interested in than in a CM-500 and where it might be worth the hassle require 100V which is bad if you are in a 220V country.

Reply 2832 of 52976, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very little hassle with using third party shipping services imo. You bid through them and they take care of the rest. Services and shipping will probably be another 30 dollars, but it still a great deal. Roland devices work in both 110 and 220V countries.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2833 of 52976, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got all my Roland gear from JP. It's a Japanese company 😀

I just got replacement AC adapters from eBay...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2834 of 52976, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know that it is trivial to buy a replacement AC adapters for devices that require external ones. I'm talking about those with internal power supply. I know for a fact that at least for Roland MIDI modules it says either 100V or 230V on the back depending on region and I'm guessing that's not without a reason. However, I just saw that step-down transformers are available for just 20 bucks, but I'm a bit sceptical as to how reliable such a cheap unit would be...

Reply 2835 of 52976, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure what unit you talk about. But all the LA units have DC input.

My YouTube channel

Reply 2837 of 52976, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ it's the reason I don't want to get a SC-88 from JP , these transformers (or any other humanely priced) don't seem reliable to me ... internal PSU stuff have this "disadvantage" ... I'll most likely settle with a good-priced 88VL instead 😐

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2839 of 52976, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see the need for SC-88 at all. Stick with the LA and SC-55 units for DOS.

My YouTube channel