VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 2840 of 52969, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ yeah , it's something extra I want to get since I already have SC-55/LA synths, didn't mean to imply that an SC-88 is "essential" for games 😉

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2843 of 52969, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Last buys:

$T2eC16J,!zUE9s38-JN4BRZHse78oQ~~60_12.JPG

3x AMD AM486 DX -120 V8SB WB, i can use some spares too. So i bought 3 of them.. 120mhz are hard to find for an acceptable price..

$%28KGrHqF,!nsFGzcK5McwBRzWiR2HeQ~~60_57.JPG

Dupont jumper wire cable housing.. I have order them as `single ones` duo ones` triple ones` fouth ones, and 5 ones (can use them to modify PS/2 mouse ports on socket 7 boards)

!BhuycuQ!2k~$%28KGrHqIH-DIEsJUpiZGEBLKj9F4Lwg~~_12.GIF

Seven midi cables.. Need them for my roland devices.. I have already one here (order it earlier)

370-top.jpg

Two Intel pentium III s370 550mhz processor (an upgrade for my intel pentium II 400mhz system) You guys adviced my to have a faster processor with 2x voodoo2 in SLI.. Dont want it to get it to fast.. So i decided to choose the middle way.

Also bought 600PCS different colored jumper shunts to use on the motherboard.. (want to change the older black ones for colored ones, because for easier the set the settings on the boards.

5mxxqv.jpg

The best shot for an interface card to let my creative CR-521-C 1x speed cd-rom drive work on.. Thought to going to use this cd-rom drive in my 286 build.. (because its 1x speed only)
I want to use an SB 2.0 that doesnt provide me the cd-rom interface.

2a6k16x.jpg

Innovision 3DFX Voodoo II 12MB accellerator.. (want to use it in my pentium 1 build) I only take one.. Have 110Mhz memory.

$%28KGrHqV,!rcFITLnwrpdBSLhe%28me%29w~~60_12.JPG

6 lots (10PCS) of those standoffs that are more hard to find these days.

Ive got 4 RCA to mono audio plugs (using for the roland modules)

Ive go a nice looking (new like) Intel 486 DX 4 100 mhz processor

$T2eC16V,!zUE9s38+CfSBRwn!ew!g!~~60_12.JPG

Future domain TMC-1670 16-bit SCSI card with floppy drive controller. (i think future domain cards boots a lot quicker then Adaptec ones.) For my 286 build.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2844 of 52969, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just bought this IBM PS/2 Model 25, I'm waiting for the seller to send it to me. Wasn't too sure but it was really cheap, and it comes with a Space Saving keyboard! I think I have too many machines now...

1cLkqoS.jpg?1

Reply 2845 of 52969, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today's thrift shop haul...

3oov.jpg

- Linksys wireless router
- TNT2 AGP (Creative 3D Blaster)
- Creative SB Live 5.1
- Realtek 8019 ISA
- Realtek 8139 PCI
- Midtown Madness
and..

yet another laptop! Toshiba Satellite 220CS, made in Japan. P1 133MHz with USB 😳
And I believe this one has a YMF71x inside! Got no power supply with it, though.

Reply 2846 of 52969, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fantasma wrote:
Just bought this IBM PS/2 Model 25, I'm waiting for the seller to send it to me. Wasn't too sure but it was really cheap, and it […]
Show full quote

Just bought this IBM PS/2 Model 25, I'm waiting for the seller to send it to me. Wasn't too sure but it was really cheap, and it comes with a Space Saving keyboard! I think I have too many machines now...

1cLkqoS.jpg?1

Those are neat machines. Is yours color or the standard B/W? If you decide you don't like it, send me a message. I'm quite fond of the machine.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2847 of 52969, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:
fantasma wrote:

Those are neat machines. Is yours color or the standard B/W? If you decide you don't like it, send me a message. I'm quite fond of the machine.

It's the color one, that and the mini Model M made me decide. It's MCGA though, so it's not fully compatible with VGA, I hope I can play some early games at least.

The only downside to it is that the FDD doesn't work, but it has Laplink installed. I should be able to transfer files with a parallel cable.

If I ever sell it, I'll let you know, but keep in mind that I live in Argentina! I doubt it would arrive in one piece to wherever you are (US or Europe, I guess?).

Reply 2848 of 52969, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, I own five color ones. I quite like the unit. ^.^ That said, I wasn't interested in the whole machine, just the hard drive. They are annoyingly hard to find in working order.

As for games, I placed an ati audioFX in mine and I'm playing text-based and cga games on mine. That and a parallel<>ethernet adapter and I jerk around on IRC sometimes.

Reply 2849 of 52969, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, I just realised, today I was lurking the vintage-computer.com forums looking for information and I saw your posts there, where you found the PS/2 lot! So some came with faulty drives?

The MCGA adapter is limiting, but I read that you can mod them with proper VGA support. Have you tried it on some of your machines? If it's agressive on the system I don't think I'd like to do it, I'd want to leave it as original as possible.

For the sound I was thinking in a CMI8330 I have lying around, it's a good SB clone. I hope it works with it since it's a 16 bit card.

Reply 2850 of 52969, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fantasma wrote:

Ah, I just realised, today I was lurking the vintage-computer.com forums looking for information and I saw your posts there, where you found the PS/2 lot! So some came with faulty drives?

The MCGA adapter is limiting, but I read that you can mod them with proper VGA support. Have you tried it on some of your machines? If it's agressive on the system I don't think I'd like to do it, I'd want to leave it as original as possible.

For the sound I was thinking in a CMI8330 I have lying around, it's a good SB clone. I hope it works with it since it's a 16 bit card.

With only 2 8 bit isa slots, any upgrade is somewhat limited. The onboard hard drives are horrible. The only reason I want one, is to save an 8 bit slot. Each of my units came with 1 floppy drive and no hard drives. 😒 As for a good 8 bit sound card, I'm under the impression that some 16's work in an 8 bit slot as long as you set their jumpers correctly. You need to remember the cpu is only a 8086, so while MCGA is 'limiting' so is the cpu. I replaced the 8086 in mine with a NEC V30. But you are still limited to basic graphics and text. Which is fine with me, I have a pimped out 486 if I want to play those games.

Reply 2851 of 52969, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of the best deals I have ever made.

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
One of the best socket 939 motherboards ever made!!!
And it is in great condition... still smells like new.
The price was 10 euro but that was with a CPU and 1.5 gb DDR memory
Also included in the price was a Radeon 9800XT AGP which is great since I dont have a working Radeon 9800. Now I can update my AGP DX9 thread with another DX9 card

I have a normal Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe in my s939 box used for ... ehrm ... but now it will get upgraded with a even better board 😀

I will make a thread showing off my optimal s939 build when I get time 😀

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
76kr.jpg

Asus Radeon 9800XT
fr4d.jpg

EDIT

I did a quick test run with the A8N32-SLI and a Geforce 7900GTX in 3dmark 2001
I posted the results in the 3dmark 2001 thread

/EDIT

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2852 of 52969, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe

Just for curiosity, what games/software will run on this, but not will run on modern hardware? Afaik even such games as winquake, quake 2, sin, etc runs fine on core i7 with win xp

Reply 2853 of 52969, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
anthony wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe

Just for curiosity, what games/software will run on this, but not will run on modern hardware? Afaik even such games as winquake, quake 2, sin, etc runs fine on core i7 with win xp

Skyscraper wrote:

I have a normal Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe in my s939 box used for ... ehrm ... but now it will get upgraded with a even better board 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2854 of 52969, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not so much a "bought" and an "acquired".

The father of a friend of mine died a little bit ago and she asked me to come and take away all his old equipment. Seems he was a "contract computer analyst" for some sort of government agency that she won't divulge more information about. Either way, this man had TONS of equipment going back to the 70s. I found a file cabinet full of TRS-80 8-inch floppies kind of old. Some of her family had already claimed the newest and the oldest equipment so I started making trip to my storage unit with however much I could fit into the trunk and backseat of my Mustang. I still have to go back tomorrow for more but this is what I managed to grab today.

wtf1.jpg
wtf2.jpg
wtf3.jpg

That massive tower in the back has some sort of ZEOS motherboard in it but I didn't get much a chance to take a closer look. The machines in front of it are various P2/P3 era Dell XPSs. The grey thing on the right is a P4 era HP Proliant server FULL of drives. The grey thing to the left is the newest system. According to the case badges it's a Core 2 Quad of some kind. 9800 GX2 video card in it and a combo Blu-Ray burner/HD DVD player drive in it. I've never seen that kind of combo before.

This man paid for nothing less than the best and everything he had in his office was absolute top of the line when purchased and it shows in the parts I was able to identify. The boxes to the left are full of various card and parts. There's a boxed SB16, an Adaptec 2940-something scsi card boxed and other such things. There was one card that I couldn't identify that intrigued me...

wtf4.jpg

Anyone know what this thing is? It's some sort of interface/memory board from what I can tell, but I don't quite know what the card edge connectors are, VLB?

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 2855 of 52969, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@senrew

it is a VLB cached IDE controller card. 4 30 pin simms too! Probably very expensive when it was new. Don't toss anything yet. While selling stuff on vogons is frowned upon, go over to http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/forum.php If you really have stuff from the 70's those are the people who will want it.

Reply 2856 of 52969, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, those guys at vcf will be drooling over some of this stuff. It's going to be awhile before I get it all into my storage unit and then go through and catalog everything. Kinda feel like Indiana Jones grave robbing in her father's office but it's fun.

Reply 2857 of 52969, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have that controller card here also.. ITs a TEKRAM DC-680T cached controller card.. It have an option for bigger 540MB > harddisks.. And there is an option to use raid 1 for safer storage.. As you can see its supports floppy drives too..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2858 of 52969, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Although highly specialized (considering the motherboard connector on the card), I'm sure that IDE controller was pretty bad-ass for its time. Cache, raid, AND floppy? On such a tiny card? Wowow! 😀

Reply 2859 of 52969, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There were a bunch of old network cards in there too. I have no clue why he'd have had so many though. I'll have to take some good pictures of everything once I get a chance to get back in there.