Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 4182 of 52880, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dacow wrote:
A Voodoo 2, though most of you probably already have one so won't find it too interesting :) […]
Show full quote

A Voodoo 2, though most of you probably already have one so won't find it too interesting 😀

folrD2gl.jpg

obobskivich wrote:

Looks nice in black - who made that specific example? (I would've guessed STB but it says "Product of Taiwan" so that makes me think it isn't STB).

Quite sure it's V2 1000 made for 3dfx by STB. I bet there's the "STB" marking under that "Taiwan" sticker. 😀

See this.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 4185 of 52880, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Creative Voodoo 2 is also black, but this isn't a Creative card, as, at least in my case, the Creative cards were made in Singapore and state the OEM clearly at the base of the card. I'd go with STB based on the link archsan gave. Interesting to see that the two cards use different memory chips.

By the way, a Wikipedia image of this Voodoo 2 is almost a perfect match, and yet it was made in Mexico:

640px-STBVoodoo2SLIcards.jpg

Reply 4187 of 52880, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From the car boot sale yesterday, Sound Blaster Live! , 3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 AGP & Intel Pentium 2 bunny doll. 😀 £3 for the lot, not bad at all & afterwards we got to go to the beach for a paddle and fish n' chips, perfect sunday!
file.php?mode=view&id=14979&sid=74b10380937a836e53ce25dceca5dc4f

Attachments

• Filename
    IMG_0409.JPG
    File size
    353.04 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 4188 of 52880, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 nice. You know it is going to be a good day when you find 3dfx hardware at yard sales.
Did intel ever reuse the full suited clean room tech mascot after pentium II ? I seem to remember a P III advertisement where these guys were still there.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 4189 of 52880, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Toshiba Satellite 1800-712 laptop now has a 40GB hard drive, and I'm in the process of fully updating its copy of XP. The DVD drive seems to object to reading DVD-RW discs, but the CD burner part works perfectly. The trackpad is odd - it works perfectly when I'm using the laptop on my lap, but if I'm leaning down to use it (sat on a chair with the laptop on the floor), it refuses to play ball properly. It's a bit of an oddball system in a lot of ways; it has a Trident CyberBlade XP Ai1 graphics chip (which uses 16MB of the system's RAM), whilst Aida reports it as using a Asahi Kasei 4543/ALi MC5451 sound setup (whatever that is). The motherboard has an ULi/ALi M1644 CyberALADDiN north bridge and an ULi/ALi M1533/1535/1543 southbridge, and the RAM is from Nanya. All in all, it's not hard to see just how much of a budget model this was - the speakers are woeful (not a patch on the Vaio's) for example.

Reply 4191 of 52880, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BSA Starfire wrote:

From the car boot sale yesterday, Sound Blaster Live! , 3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 AGP & Intel Pentium 2 bunny doll. 😀 £3 for the lot, not bad at all & afterwards we got to go to the beach for a paddle and fish n' chips, perfect sunday!
[img]

It's funny how that an intel promo doll attracts more attention than respective processors 😁

When I visited London last summer, I went to two car boot sales and there was nothing remotely connected to retro PC hardware. When I look around similar sales in my native Omsk, I always see old PC hardware, crappy, broken, yet there is always some. Did you experience that issue as well?

Last edited by RacoonRider on 2014-06-18, 02:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4192 of 52880, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MaxWar wrote:

🤣 nice. You know it is going to be a good day when you find 3dfx hardware at yard sales.
Did intel ever reuse the full suited clean room tech mascot after pentium II ? I seem to remember a P III advertisement where these guys were still there.

Yeah, they still have them at their corporate gift store/museum in Santa Clara. (I did a self-guided tour of Silicon Valley when I visited the US in 2011)

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4193 of 52880, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:
BSA Starfire wrote:

[img]

It's how that an intel promo doll attracts more attention than respective processors 😁

When I visited London last summer, I went to two car boot sales and there was nothing remotely connected to retro PC hardware. When I look around similar sales in my native Omsk, I always see old PC hardware, crappy, broken, yet there is always some. Did you experience that issue as well?

I find quite a lot of stuff here in Devon. I'm really selective what I'll buy tho. got several boxed motherboards a while ago(462,478). 2 weeks ago a Samsung V25 P4 2.66 laptop with all manuals, install disks charger & Targus case for a tenner. Still loads around it seems.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 4196 of 52880, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@bristlehog

great find! how much did it set you back?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4197 of 52880, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@luckybob That's exactly one of those you had in your hands. The one that was without the box.

@keropi It was a trade rather than sale. Anyway, its value is (more or less) on par with LAPC-I, Adlib Gold or MediaVision Pro AudioSpectrum.

If only I had a programming guide for it, I might try and give birth to a General MIDI compatible driver, provided there are enough technical capabilities and someone makes a set of GM patches. Too many if's, but that could potentially enhance compatible games list to 200+ titles.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 4199 of 52880, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

So he parted that 286 then. Good for him. You should have gotten the dongle, right?

Dongle? What dongle?

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city