VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 5500 of 52976, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't feel sorry for you Danes. You can buy everything you want from within the EU (especially Germany which is the best retro computing country in the world) and get cheaper shipping. Try a country across the northsea to the north, much worse there.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5501 of 52976, by rumbanegra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ad Lib ASB 64 Wave Pro 4D IDE

Those Adlibs really hard to find these days 😀

ad-lib-asb-64-wave-pro-4d-ide.jpg

http://retrosoundcards.wordpress.com

Attachments

• Filename
    Clipboard05.jpg
    File size
    193.4 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5503 of 52976, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlphaWing wrote:

Yea AT, cases are really hard to find.
Newegg still has that one HEC Desktop Case forsale that will accept BABY AT boards tho, if you can order from them.
Just have to make your own I/O plate for it.

I have about 6 or 7 of those beige HEC cases and I got to say I just love them. Closest thing to a real deal old school desktop case you can get these days (well maybe not anymore as they seem to be sold out everywhere I look now).

I just opt not to even use an I/O shield for my AT boards, but you got me thinking again about making some.

Anyways...I just picked up another video scaler today (thinking about using this Extron DVS 204 for hooking up some old gaming consoles and maybe some of my 15khz retro systems (CoCo3, Tandys, Amiga, Atari ST's, etc.) all to one of my trinitron CRT monitors. I may have to get another RGB to VGA scaler to do this as I think the DVS 204 only works for composite, svideo and component to VGA. I don't know for sure if it actually scales a 15khz cga/ega/vga signal....anyways, I will have to add to my list of things to test.

20141117_184659.jpg
Filename
20141117_184659.jpg
File size
311.46 KiB
Views
File license

I also just got a SB0770 OEM Dell XFi gamer card. I've heard about some driver issues with this card since it is OEM, but I had this type of card working in XP on one of my core 2 duo systems at one point without issues. I just had to get it because of the optical output and input. Most of the time, I like having those connectors right on the card, at the back instead on some header panel in the front.

20141117_185024.jpg
Filename
20141117_185024.jpg
File size
199.06 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 5504 of 52976, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good luck with that x-fi!
I had that same oem x-fi card in my main PC for awhile, gave up on it, due to clicking sounds being inserted into just about anything played over it, issues with the drivers in windows Vista and 8, worked fine in XP, but that PC rarely boots into XP.

As for I/O plates I just make them outa malleable Plastic, usually cut from Ice cream buckets, and paint them whatever color, and attach them either with glue or nuts\bolts if the case has convenient holes to mount with. Usually ends up looking nice, and easy to cut every hole needed, with no sharp edges.
Cheap and easy solution that comes with a treat 🤣 .

Reply 5505 of 52976, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I once got three models of OEM X-Fi card and I believe only one worked with the stock Creative drivers. I will check the model number this afternoon if anyone is interested.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5506 of 52976, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlphaWing wrote:
Good luck with that x-fi! I had that same oem x-fi card in my main PC for awhile, gave up on it, due to clicking sounds being in […]
Show full quote

Good luck with that x-fi!
I had that same oem x-fi card in my main PC for awhile, gave up on it, due to clicking sounds being inserted into just about anything played over it, issues with the drivers in windows Vista and 8, worked fine in XP, but that PC rarely boots into XP.

As for I/O plates I just make them outa malleable Plastic, usually cut from Ice cream buckets, and paint them whatever color, and attach them either with glue or nuts\bolts if the case has convenient holes to mount with. Usually ends up looking nice, and easy to cut every hole needed, with no sharp edges.
Cheap and easy solution that comes with a treat 🤣 .

🤣...yeah I heard that these xfi cards can be troublesome but I only plan to use it on xp anyways. I have a retail pci e Creative card for my win 7 setup.

I love the idea of using plastic from buckets or whatever works. I tried using acrylic once and it worked pretty good. Easy to cut with olfa knife so it is easy to work with but I like your idea about the malleable plastic. ..I think it would be easier and cheaper.

Reply 5507 of 52976, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PeterLI wrote:

NO is far wealthier than DK.

Yes... That is why we pay just around 45% tax for minimum income and up to something like 60% for top wages.
Yes we have a rich society, yet that comes with a big minus in terms of the total money in society being distributed to the society and not in the pockets of the indevidual citizen. 😉 And that is why I must not feel that it is a ripoff, to pay so much for something that old? In a society were we all need the newest computers, in order to recieve letters from the state. Because it is now 100% digital. Using only the newest java update, wich practically means that I as a citizen are required to own a machine with a least Windows7. If I am wrong, then please step on me, verbally. 😉

On the other hand, who cares, I just said my opinion. 😁

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5511 of 52976, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lukeno94 wrote:

Quite why they'd use a Java app at all is beyond me, at this point in time. May as well move to HTML5.

Agreed. I am very sick of Java. It constantly freezes/crashes my browsers and it is overall just buggy

Reply 5512 of 52976, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PeterLI wrote:

Whether or not you want to pay for something is a personal choice. And you may have less disposable income but less existential insecurity. In the US people may have more disposable income but a lot more personal responsibility to set aside money for medical expenses / unemployment / education / retirement / calamities and so forth. These are just two opposite extremes on how society is organized in the developed world. Both models have philosophical merit and real life (dis)advantages.

True... Still no excuse for a gourverment to charge that much for something wich is not useable in real life. 😉
It's ok to charge tax, vat and import's for something like an Core i7 machine. Just not for 20 year old AT-technology.
Especially if it is second hand, bought privately.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5514 of 52976, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up an EpoX motherboard for socket 754.. with.. nforce4 SLI for socket 754!! As well as Sata-300 onboard raid, woot! Only $33.55 with shipping off ebay. Communicated with seller and he's checked it out and most all of the onboard parts work cept for sound and lan.. and he said he thinks it was just software with that. Saw the things in device manager and couldn't find the right driver and gave up and just listed it.

Also the seller says all the capacitors are good and no doming on any of them.

s_nforce4-ebay.jpg

Larger version: http://www.outfoxed.net/athlon-754/forums/nforce4-ebay.jpg

Pictures are using the seller's image from ebay.. don't have it in my paws just yet.

Reply 5516 of 52976, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:

I vaguely remember that EPoX - that's a very cool board right there. You going to stick that Mobile 3700 in there and take it to the moon?

Mobile 1MB-cache 4000+ I have, yes. I found through some googling last night that someone else has got the exact chip to run in that board at one point up to 2900 mhz so that would be fun.

I'm also hovering over a listing for a pair of 7950 GX2's ... that would go great for that system.

Reply 5517 of 52976, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:

Mobile 1MB-cache 4000+ I have, yes. I found through some googling last night that someone else has got the exact chip to run in that board at one point up to 2900 mhz so that would be fun.

Fun is one way of describing it. I might go with "ridiculous"... 🤣 😎

I'm also hovering over a listing for a pair of 7950 GX2's ... that would go great for that system.

Can you find someone saying they work 100% no problems in that specific board? And how much does seller X want for them?

Why I'm asking:

- 7950GX2 (and I would assume 7900GX2) have really finicky compatibility, even with nVidia boards IME. I wouldn't bother with them unless you have good reason to believe they work correctly with your board. On my Asus MB they work, but I get random screen blackouts, especially with QSLI and newer drivers (the best luck I've had is with the original QuadSLI driver, 93.something if I remember right). On my DFI there's no such problem, but it can't do QSLI (and to add insult to injury, the Asus has an nForce 4 SLI chipset, and the DFI uses the Xpress 200 CF - leave it to ATi to do a better job supporting nVidia multi-GPU cards).

- While QuadSLI is cool it may not be worth the cash; if you can get a pair of GF8/9 cards for the same (or lower) price I'd do it and not look back, as the performance will be much better (and depending on what you get, you'll have full h.264/flash/etc acceleration), including PhysX support.

Either way, it'd be a totally rad machine with a high-clocking 754; the only "walls" I could forsee it running into are the lack of DX10+ (if you go with the 7950s), or the lack of multi-core being a performance hit in some newer games. But we're probably only talking about games from 2010-present where this would be an issue.

Oh, one more thing before I forget: if the 7950s you get come with "rails" or "spines" (the card in this listing has one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271669903823 while the card in this listing does not: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131348845894) rip them off - they block the heatsink's airflow dramatically, and the cards run fairly hotter with them. If the card you get doesn't have "pins" to connect the boards, but is bolted with the spines, just cut free the segments between the anchor points (take the entire bracket off/card apart first). 😀

Reply 5518 of 52976, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

Picked up an EpoX motherboard for socket 754.. with.. nforce4 SLI for socket 754!! As well as Sata-300 onboard raid, woot! Only $33.55 with shipping off ebay. Communicated with seller and he's checked it out and most all of the onboard parts work cept for sound and lan.. and he said he thinks it was just software with that. Saw the things in device manager and couldn't find the right driver and gave up and just listed it.

That is a very nice board for mid-2005...

Word is those nForce boards work with Registered DDR RAM (PC-3200P). You might want want to pick up two 4gb sticks for pennies on the dollar and give it a shot (Just remember to enable memory re-mapping to see more than 4gb - this is the case with the Asus A8N IIRC).

Reply 5519 of 52976, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mockingbird wrote:

That is a very nice board for mid-2005...

Word is those nForce boards work with Registered DDR RAM (PC-3200P). You might want want to pick up two 4gb sticks for pennies on the dollar and give it a shot (Just remember to enable memory re-mapping to see more than 4gb - this is the case with the Asus A8N IIRC).

Why do you think I was sort of excited to find it? 😉 Except I'm planning to use XP-32 with it most likely, so.. probably just looking at 4GB total.