Topic actions

Reply 5720 of 52865, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
dexter311 wrote:

That's some seriously drool-worthy 3dfx gear there Artex!

What makes the Voodoo4 so rare? The fact that it's specifically for Mac?

Voodoo 4 for PC you can still find on ebay fairly regularly. Voodoo 4 for Mac is practically non-existent. Voodoo 4 for Mac NIB or CIB is just too rare for words.

And Voodoo 4/5 for Mac do have DVI connectors which can actually be useful. Otherwise the difference would only interest a pure collector.

ODwilly wrote:

With all the 3dfx going on, I will add my recent ebay win to this thread. Picked up a Voodoo Rush for $13 shipped! Besides having a notoriously bad 2d core is there anything else noteworthy about these?

Slightly slower performance than Voodoo1, worse compatibility. If I understand correctly a Voodoo2 might be easier convinced to run very early Glide games than a Rush.
Oh, and there are different 2d cores which were used for Voodoo Rush cards.

Reply 5722 of 52865, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

Yesterday I bought a 8X Mistumi IDE CD-ROM for $9 shipped. Good deal. I will install it in my IBM PC 350 Pentium 100. 😈

It will probably cost him $8 just to ship it to you.

Reply 5724 of 52865, by joacim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got an Abit AB-BX6 2.0 a while ago, so I decided to get myself a slot 1 - 370 adaptor too. I couldn't tell from the ebay picture that one of the tabs had broken off. 😒

1pwkbLOl.jpg

The cooler seems to hold, but I don't think I can trust it to hold during transportation or while my computer serves as my footrest.

cJr7pB6l.jpg

Looked around for a new socket on eBay, but instead I found a lot of different cheap adaptors. Will either one work? My intension is to use a faster coppermine, or maybe a modded tualatin celeron.

Reply 5725 of 52865, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intel VC820 and A-Open case. Both are being shipped as of now.
The case was sold without the PSU, wich I do not mind, because I have to get a new one anyway.
The board and case is for a new project, as close as possible, to a 99 musclemachine.
I need to find a 800 mhz slot1 or just below (700+) and I have a TNT2 Ultra 32mb.
Need to find more memmory, as 256mb is way below what this board can take.

aopen.jpg

VC820.jpg

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5726 of 52865, by phantom_pl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just bought a Yamaha XG card. I have never had one, and was curious, how does it sounds.
I have fed card with 4MB sample bank, and started to listen.
Some MIDI files sounds nice, some sounds pale, and some sounds odd.
I launched some old games (Monkey Island 1&2, Police Quest 2), and it doesn't shine neither - but I think these were very old games designed for MT-32, which is a specific card.

Photo taken from manufacturer's site (mine looks exactly the same):
AW744l2_zpse149e1cc.jpg

Reply 5727 of 52865, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
phantom_pl wrote:
Just bought a Yamaha XG card. I have never had one, and was curious, how does it sounds. I have fed card with 4MB sample bank, a […]
Show full quote

Just bought a Yamaha XG card. I have never had one, and was curious, how does it sounds.
I have fed card with 4MB sample bank, and started to listen.
Some MIDI files sounds nice, some sounds pale, and some sounds odd.
I launched some old games (Monkey Island 1&2, Police Quest 2), and it doesn't shine neither - but I think these were very old games designed for MT-32, which is a specific card.

If you have one such card, try the MT32 emulation on the SB-Live. And then compare it to the Yamaha.
Just because they are both PCI cards. (and no one have really done this)
Finally, try doing the MT32 emulation on the AWE32 or AWE64 card, if you have that too.

Actually... I would really like to see all sort of MT-32 emulation compared to the real deal.
GUS, Awe-cards, SB-Live and anything that can do such, compared to a real MT-32.
Being done in real MS-DOS (6.22) of course....

Last edited by brostenen on 2014-12-10, 21:25. Edited 3 times in total.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5728 of 52865, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

With all the 3dfx going on, I will add my recent ebay win to this thread. Picked up a Voodoo Rush for $13 shipped! Besides having a notoriously bad 2d core is there anything else noteworthy about these?

Slightly slower performance than Voodoo1, worse compatibility. If I understand correctly a Voodoo2 might be easier convinced to run very early Glide games than a Rush.
Oh, and there are different 2d cores which were used for Voodoo Rush cards.[/quote]
I was readinh about that on the wiki, looks like the one I picked up has the Allience Semiconductor core. It seems like the last ones with the et4000? would be a great Voodoo1 alternative

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5729 of 52865, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

That thing is awesome! I would just walk around with it to draw stares. 😀

Too bad it doesn't work though... It starts up but the floppy drives don't seem to do anything, and I'm missing the keyboard cable 🙁

King_Corduroy wrote:

🤣 nice label on your monitor! 🤣

Thanks! And now I got a sweater to match it 🤣

h0r3R61.jpg

uAlnnGu.jpg

Reply 5730 of 52865, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone ever used a Creative CT1860 IDE controller card? I bought it mainly because I'm using an ATX case and the 8th ISA slot is blocked, and I'm short on slots. With this card you can remove the back panel and use the 8th slot. Also, not many of my soundcards seem to have the IDE ports.

ct1860.JPG

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5732 of 52865, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haha I was wondering the same thing! Where indeed did you find these they look awesome! 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 5733 of 52865, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

Haha I was wondering the same thing! Where indeed did you find these they look awesome! 🤣

🤣... My wife would kill me... but I think I may have to...

http://www.redbubble.com/people/olipop/works/ … t&ref=shop_grid

http://www.redbubble.com/people/olipop/works/ … pos=6&p=t-shirt

All kinds of good stuff on here...

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 5734 of 52865, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
joacim wrote:

Got an Abit AB-BX6 2.0 a while ago, so I decided to get myself a slot 1 - 370 adaptor too. I couldn't tell from the ebay picture that one of the tabs had broken off. 😒

The cooler seems to hold, but I don't think I can trust it to hold during transportation or while my computer serves as my footrest.

Looked around for a new socket on eBay, but instead I found a lot of different cheap adaptors. Will either one work? My intension is to use a faster coppermine, or maybe a modded tualatin celeron.

I've got a new-in-package slotket coming from ebay soon. I plan to do the same. This one has voltage selection down to 1.5v and I have a Tualatin adaptor from my old s370 pc. I'm hoping the combination works for my tualeron. I won the adapter for $8.70 shipped, so if it doesn't work, it's not a big deal. For less than ten bucks, it's worth the experiment. I'll post back with findings.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 5735 of 52865, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Went dumpster diving at work, found some slightly vandalized PCs. Inside I found:
Motherboards:
Asus P3B-F with pregnant caps and acid on the board 🙁(
Acorp 6VIA/ZX85
Abit SL30T
Gigabyte GA-6OXT-A

CPUs:
PIII-1200\256\133
Celeron 1300\256\100
Celeron 533

Expansion cards:
S3 Trio64
Goldstar Prime 2

Misc:
- A simple AT PSU
- PS/2+LPT backplate
- COM to PS/2 mouse converter

I also kept all the small wires, leds, bolts, cables in case I need some at work. It's hard to take things home, so I took home only Gigabyte GA-6OXT-A, Tullies, Goldster controller card, PS/2 stuff and the PSU. All the other stuff is stashed away.

I'm a newb when it comes to Tullies, is this motherboard any good?

Pictures:
P1050882.JPG
P1050883.JPG

Reply 5736 of 52865, by joacim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nekurahoka wrote:

I've got a new-in-package slotket coming from ebay soon. I plan to do the same. This one has voltage selection down to 1.5v and I have a Tualatin adaptor from my old s370 pc. I'm hoping the combination works for my tualeron. I won the adapter for $8.70 shipped, so if it doesn't work, it's not a big deal. For less than ten bucks, it's worth the experiment. I'll post back with findings.

I ended up ordering a new-in-package slotket too. The MS-6905 Master from some german seller. My motherboard supports voltages down to 1.5V (at least it is selectable in the bios), so I don't need to adaptor to do that, but it is a nice feature to have. 😀

Now I just need a nice Celeron.

Reply 5737 of 52865, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:
LOL... My wife would kill me... but I think I may have to... […]
Show full quote
King_Corduroy wrote:

🤣... My wife would kill me... but I think I may have to...

http://www.redbubble.com/people/olipop/works/ … t&ref=shop_grid

http://www.redbubble.com/people/olipop/works/ … pos=6&p=t-shirt

All kinds of good stuff on here...

Yep! That's where I found them. Or actually, where my sister found them 🤣

Reply 5738 of 52865, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got these to go into the P-Pro I saved from that recycler.

Left top is a Intel Pro 10/100 Ether-express ISA nic, one of the few 10/100 ISA nics.

Right Top is a Promise raid fast-trax 150 4-port sata controller with 9x support, no issues with terrabyte size drives in 9x with this (use the same controller on other machines). It'll eventually have 4x 1tb WD blue drives on it.

The bottom is a Common Soundblaster 32 with 2x16mb 30pin simms, CT3600. No YMF, but not needed, the P-pro has a crystal chip integrated into it.
That I wanta mess with for that for opl-2\3. That cable is just a 2-pin led case cable soldered onto a 4-pin speaker, for beeper pass-through.

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2015-08-13, 04:38. Edited 1 time in total.