VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 6120 of 52951, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got the junk Latitude C600 today. It's definitely deader than a doornail; no power response whatsoever on either battery power (tried two batteries with at least some charge in them) or mains power. This C600 had a 850 MHz P3 and a Windows 98 COA (not the XP one that was advertised, but the seller offered to send me an XP COA as well). It had no RAM, battery, HDD/HDD caddy or optical drives, but I didn't need those (perhaps a tad surprisingly given that everything else had been pinched, the NIC was still present.) Not 100% sure what killed it, but the CPU socket looked a little busted up (although that may be how it is supposed to look).

y6ytORel.jpg

Main thing is that it had a good English keyboard (I had a junk Eastern European keyboard with the missing keys), with a good trackpoint, and the palmrest assembly is fully intact (and also has a good trackpad). I'm also thinking about taking the back of the display assembly from it and switching it with the scuffed-up one on my good laptop. The screen in it was good for the most part, but it's a little more flawed than the one I already had (bit of a scuff across the middle of the screen as opposed to a couple of minor chips and one scratch, lighting wasn't quite as balanced). I've gutted it for other parts as well.

Reply 6121 of 52951, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Grabbed this gateway mmx 200 from ebay. Talked the buy it now down 😁

Seems barely used. I love sideways cases, especially small ones, and this one takes a full ATX mobo which is cool. However one bad thing with it. I cannot put in my AWE 32 with mem exp because apparently soundblaster thought it would be cool to make their cards just a fraction taller than all the other cards I have so the case cover cannot slide in 🙁 Now I gotta find a different MIDI solution..

Don't know how to resize pictures.. man this forum is old.. here is a link to the pics on imgur http://imgur.com/a/VxioB#B8Q2TUc

yH1RYx8.jpg
xLEbRGn.jpg

Reply 6123 of 52951, by barbucha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, i have bought SB AWE32 CT3990 on eBay recently, it came today, but iam unable to detect inserted SIMMs. Dos SB16 diagnose.exe detects 512kb only (internal memory). I have tested it with 3 sets of ram sticks, all 60ns, to tell the truth iam not sure of their size, assuming 1MB per piece, tin or gold no result at all. Any ideas please?
My card has switch to enable ram addon, but i have teste both positions without results.
Had never AWE32 with SIMM slots before. Other functions of the card are all functional well in my DOS/W311 Siemens SCENIC 4Lsx25 desktop.
Iam unable to insert picture (this is my first post here) if someone help how to, ... thanks
and sorry for my terrible English, iam from Czech Republic.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply 6124 of 52951, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
barbucha wrote:
Hi there, i have bought SB AWE32 CT3990 on eBay recently, it came today, but iam unable to detect inserted SIMMs. Dos SB16 diagn […]
Show full quote

Hi there, i have bought SB AWE32 CT3990 on eBay recently, it came today, but iam unable to detect inserted SIMMs. Dos SB16 diagnose.exe detects 512kb only (internal memory). I have tested it with 3 sets of ram sticks, all 60ns, to tell the truth iam not sure of their size, assuming 1MB per piece, tin or gold no result at all. Any ideas please?
My card has switch to enable ram addon, but i have teste both positions without results.
Had never AWE32 with SIMM slots before. Other functions of the card are all functional well in my DOS/W311 Siemens SCENIC 4Lsx25 desktop.
Iam unable to insert picture (this is my first post here) if someone help how to, ... thanks
and sorry for my terrible English, iam from Czech Republic.

Thanks for any advice.

If you have an extra jumper laying around, try that. Might be a broken jumper you are using.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6125 of 52951, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:
Here comes a short rant. […]
Show full quote

Here comes a short rant.

Some sellers on the Swedish "Ebay" are just totally messed up in the head.

I bought a motherboard from a seller and because he was shipping with a carrier that allows 10KG for a fair price I put in a 0.1 Euro bid on the rest of his auctions. I won a few but the seller wont ship the stuff together so I have to pay ~6-7 euro for every 0.1 Euro item I won. He wont allow me to just pay for the stuff and let him throw it away or sell it to someone else either. I can choose between getting a negative rating for every auction I won or pay up. Swedish "Ebay" allow sellers to rate buyers. The seller only do this because he feels I got the stuff too cheap but for me a DVD-RW is hardly worth 7 Euro shipping and a PCI 100mbit network card is for sure not worth 4 Euro shipping 🙁

I will not buy from this retard again.

You shouldn't have bid without knowing whether the seller would combine shipping or not. Your own fault, don't blame the seller.

Reply 6126 of 52951, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Put nicer, lesson learnt the hard way and approach it with more care next time.

Was looking for some Tomb Raider games and a ton of cheap ones on eBay UK. One seller had all four first Tomb Raider games but the combined shipping policy was a bit confusing. So I asked him what price he can do for all four games, he said 4 pounds and I was happy with that. Otherwise it would have been 12 pounds which would have been unreasonable. I add the seller to my favourites and will definitely do business again. A bit over GOG.com games at the moment with so many half-arsed releases that neither work properly on modern PCs nor on period correct ones.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6127 of 52951, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:
Here comes a short rant. […]
Show full quote

Here comes a short rant.

Some sellers on the Swedish "Ebay" are just totally messed up in the head.

I bought a motherboard from a seller and because he was shipping with a carrier that allows 10KG for a fair price I put in a 0.1 Euro bid on the rest of his auctions. I won a few but the seller wont ship the stuff together so I have to pay ~6-7 euro for every 0.1 Euro item I won. He wont allow me to just pay for the stuff and let him throw it away or sell it to someone else either. I can choose between getting a negative rating for every auction I won or pay up. Swedish "Ebay" allow sellers to rate buyers. The seller only do this because he feels I got the stuff too cheap but for me a DVD-RW is hardly worth 7 Euro shipping and a PCI 100mbit network card is for sure not worth 4 Euro shipping 🙁

I will not buy from this retard again.

You shouldn't have bid without knowing whether the seller would combine shipping or not. Your own fault, don't blame the seller.

The Swedish "Ebay" isnt exactly Ebay even if its owned by Ebay so it dosnt work in exactly the same way.
Few sellers write in their auction texts that they do combined shipping but they all (-1) do, at least if they use one of the cheaper slower shipping companies.
Most buyers in Sweden would just have told the seller to sod off and taken the bad rep but I care about my rep as I will sell off some stuff sooner or later.

Different countries, different sites, different (unwritten) rules 😀
The only thing I managed to learn was to not buy from that retard again.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 6128 of 52951, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a nice 7800gs agp that will arrive today. Had to have it since it is the fastest Nvidia agp (except for a special gainward version wich uses the 7900gt core).

Also bought a lot of four boards and some parts including an awe32 and a p3b-f (extra spares for my existing ones), i hope it arrives soon. There are 2 more slot1 boards but i don't know the brand or type until they arrive.
Sould come with some p2 and p3 cpu's.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6129 of 52951, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

Bought a nice 7800gs agp that will arrive today. Had to have it since it is the fastest Nvidia agp (except for a special gainward version wich uses the 7900gt core).

Also bought a lot of four boards and some parts including an awe32 and a p3b-f (extra spares for my existing ones), i hope it arrives soon. There are 2 more slot1 boards but i don't know the brand or type until they arrive.

Funnily enough I received a 7800GS Agp in the mail from Germany today. Smells like an ashtray so needs a good isopropyl wash. Destined for my G4 Mac.

There was a 7900GS AGP released by XFX which would have been faster than the Gainward Bliss 7800 at stock speeds. I owned one but the fan gave up and seemingly killed the board - a common complaint apparently.

Reply 6130 of 52951, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:

I think I was looking at the same card as you meljor 😁
Grats on having grabbed it 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6131 of 52951, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thraka wrote:

Don't know how to resize pictures..

You can't be serious

Reply 6132 of 52951, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:
Thraka wrote:

You can't be serious

This is the smart phone generation.
3196 pixels wide... kithylin will be furious 😁
I bet the phones resize the pictures automaticly for easy viewing 😉

I wouldnt know though as I never used a smart phone...

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 6133 of 52951, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
This is the smart phone generation. 3196 pixels wide... kithylin will be furious :D I bet the phones resize the pictures automa […]
Show full quote
RacoonRider wrote:
Thraka wrote:

You can't be serious

This is the smart phone generation.
3196 pixels wide... kithylin will be furious 😁
I bet the phones resize the pictures automaticly for easy viewing 😉

I wouldnt know though as I never used a smart phone...

*Awaiting the next generation of people who have touch screen toilets and therefore can't flush mechanically*

Thraka, great box, keep up with the good stuff!

Reply 6134 of 52951, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

*Awaiting the next generation of people who have touch screen toilets and therefore can't flush mechanically*

Thraka, great box, keep up with the good stuff!

It will probably happen. I bet it already exists in a country like Japan

Oh and even my PC browser resizes the image. I just right click it and click "View image"

Reply 6135 of 52951, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Filename
IMG_0345.JPG
File size
484.64 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
IMG_0346.JPG
File size
476.63 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Filename
IMG_0347.JPG
File size
484.77 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Filename
IMG_0348.JPG
File size
732.44 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Filename
IMG_0349.JPG
File size
828.09 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license

Reply 6136 of 52951, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Filename
IMG_0350.JPG
File size
760.71 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Filename
IMG_0351.JPG
File size
728.17 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Filename
IMG_0353.JPG
File size
716.9 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Filename
IMG_0354.JPG
File size
472.81 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Filename
IMG_0355.JPG
File size
468.51 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license

Reply 6137 of 52951, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Filename
IMG_0357.JPG
File size
479.17 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Filename
IMG_0358.JPG
File size
508 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license

Reply 6138 of 52951, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
meljor wrote:

I think I was looking at the same card as you meljor 😁
Grats on having grabbed it 😀

Was it on tweakers? That's where mine comes from 😀

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6139 of 52951, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played and finished Skyrim on an 7800GS. Required some D3D wrapper and various tweaks to the ini files, but still, not too shabby for an AGP card! 😀