VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 6180 of 52977, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a Trident 8900 in a volume sale. Not something uncommon but I wonder where the Video ROM is 😕

Attachments

Reply 6184 of 52977, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
White wrote:
http://www.modlabs.net/uploads/gallery/blogs/thumb/WP_20150114_11_05_40_Pro.jpg […]
Show full quote

WP_20150114_11_05_40_Pro.jpg

Nice to see another Rendition Vérité card!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 6185 of 52977, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:

Got a Trident 8900 in a volume sale. Not something uncommon but I wonder where the Video ROM is 😕

Looks like the -R is built in ROM
http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/component … ent-tvga8900d-r
Good example, there is an empty space where the ROM would normally be

Reply 6186 of 52977, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:
Thraka wrote:

Grabbed this gateway mmx 200 from ebay. Talked the buy it now down 😁
Don't know how to resize pictures..

You can't be serious

RacoonRider wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:
This is the smart phone generation. 3196 pixels wide... kithylin will be furious :D I bet the phones resize the pictures automa […]
Show full quote

This is the smart phone generation.
3196 pixels wide... kithylin will be furious 😁
I bet the phones resize the pictures automaticly for easy viewing 😉

I wouldnt know though as I never used a smart phone...

*Awaiting the next generation of people who have touch screen toilets and therefore can't flush mechanically*

Thraka, great box, keep up with the good stuff!

🤣 wow thanks a lot guys, give me more credit than that! I meant resize the pictures in the forum. I know how to resize a picture but I don't want to waste time resizing and uploading 😉 I meant the forum software is really old here, it doesn't just auto resize to fit the area and allow you to zoom in if you wanted to...

Reply 6187 of 52977, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thraka wrote:

🤣 wow thanks a lot guys, give me more credit than that! I meant resize the pictures in the forum. I know how to resize a picture but I don't want to waste time resizing and uploading 😉 I meant the forum software is really old here, it doesn't just auto resize to fit the area and allow you to zoom in if you wanted to...

I do believe this site is designed to be older type to be more compatible with being viewed on older computers. Since.. you know.. the majority of us on here have old machines. Therefore it's up to us to make the pics smaller. I've tried viewing this site on my older amd 939 machine with a 1280x1024 screen and the vast majority of pictures are too big to be seen. Kinda sad.. *shrug* whatever.

Reply 6188 of 52977, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Thraka wrote:

I do believe this site is designed to be older type to be more compatible with being viewed on older computers. Since.. you know.. the majority of us on here have old machines. Therefore it's up to us to make the pics smaller. I've tried viewing this site on my older amd 939 machine with a 1280x1024 screen and the vast majority of pictures are too big to be seen. Kinda sad.. *shrug* whatever.

Well, pictures like the one we had just then need a 4K screen to actually fit on though... I don't see why an auto-resize thing would handicap older PCs that much; I'd imagine even my Vaio with a 1.1 GHz Duron would handle that without any issues.

Reply 6190 of 52977, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
Solution: […]
Show full quote

Solution:

Goto http://www.img.ur
upload images
copy thumbnail links
post here
????
PROFIT!!!

This times infinity. Imgur is what I use to host pictures and it works fine with posting pictures on VOGONS using the "Large Thumbnail" option.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 6191 of 52977, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Im not a fan of Imgur.com or any other hosting site that use your images on their front page and stuff.
http://cubeupload.com/ is the best image hosting site I have used. Its fast and clean (at least with adblock).

right click ---> edit ---> resize ---> pixels ---> a number ---> OK ---> save as ---> profit.

Its not possible to make everybody happy without banning all images except thumbnails though as I bet some people browse this site using their Compaq 800*600 SVGA screens from 1993.
Fixing auto resize on the forum would be great, until its done "right click" ---> "view image" works even when lazy members post 4k images 😎

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 6192 of 52977, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

Its not possible to make everybody happy without banning all images except thumbnails though as I bet some people browse this site using their Compaq 800*600 SVGA screens from 1993.

I'll admit, I laughed a little. 🤣

I also tend to view the site at about that resolution, not because I have an 800*600 SVGA screen from 1993, but because my browser window is not full-screen and is instead arranged among other windows (and I would assume I'm not alone in this). That can still lead to annoying cut-offs when massive images are uploaded. I don't really have a problem with "big" images, but I don't think we need 9MP (or larger) raw shots, especially if they're hosted somewhere slow. Waiting on a 20-30MB image to load from a slow server can be painful, and it's even more annoying when they cause the page to jump around as they load one at a time. 😵

Reply 6193 of 52977, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I (finally) picked up a Voodoo II 12MB card off eBay (a Diamond Monster II) to match my other one I already own so I can finally try SLI with two 12MB cards instead of two 8MB ones 😀 .

eBay photos:

$_57 (1).JPG
Filename
$_57 (1).JPG
File size
402.23 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
$_57.JPG
Filename
$_57.JPG
File size
384.13 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

In my world, I may have paid a little too much for this Voodoo card I think ($32+shipping), but it was one of those items I just wanted to have to complete my SLI setup once and for all...and also, I just got tired of looking and this is the only one I could find on eBay (available to be shipped to me) for anything less than $70.

I guess when I think of it, if I were to sell my Voodoo II (12MB) cards, I would probably ask about the same price, so maybe I got a decent deal after all when I think of it like that.

I have been looking for one for an 'affordable' price for a while now and I think I did OK(ish) considering how much these cards are going for lately. It seems to me at least that in the last year, Voodoo 2 12MB cards have become a bit of a rarity (I wouldn't say hens teeth rare, but rare nonetheless), along with a lot of Roland stuff. Last year I managed to find a lot of Roland gear and even a couple of Voodoo cards for very good prices, but these last few months, not so much.

Does anyone think I paid too much for this card? Do you guys see the demand for these cards going up lately?

Reply 6194 of 52977, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

I'll admit, I laughed a little. 🤣

I also tend to view the site at about that resolution, not because I have an 800*600 SVGA screen from 1993, but because my browser window is not full-screen and is instead arranged among other windows (and I would assume I'm not alone in this). That can still lead to annoying cut-offs when massive images are uploaded. I don't really have a problem with "big" images, but I don't think we need 9MP (or larger) raw shots, especially if they're hosted somewhere slow. Waiting on a 20-30MB image to load from a slow server can be painful, and it's even more annoying when they cause the page to jump around as they load one at a time. 😵

I think we all can agree on not posting 9MP images regardless of what format its in... even Thraka knows how to resize it seems 😀

EDIT

Just as Phil says, if you really want something and have the money you never spend too much.
Voodoo 2 cards wont get any cheaper in the future.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2015-01-16, 16:18. Edited 4 times in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 6195 of 52977, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Who cares what you paid for it. Life is short and time is money and lots of time and money down the drain looking on eBay and trying to find a bargain. As long as the price isn't outrageous I say go for it and enjoy yourself.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6196 of 52977, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

Who cares what you paid for it. Life is short and time is money and lots of time and money down the drain looking on eBay and trying to find a bargain. As long as the price isn't outrageous I say go for it and enjoy yourself.

Well said, very true.