Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 6260 of 52897, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pojo wrote:

I got hold of a pretty nice Baby AT case for my upcoming 486 project. Just needed a bit of cleaning and it came with a free Socket 7 motherboard with AMD K6/233 CPU 😀 Also a Soundblaster clone called AdvanceLogic ALS100 Plus, and S3 Trio64 DX with (I think) 4MB.

486.jpg

Fitted the 486 AMI motherboard, added external CR2032 battery and a hard drive so now it's almost up and running.

I also have the exact same case!.. 😈 During 386DX-40 and early 486 days (1992-1994), it was one of the most used cases in Turkey. Cheap and nasty, but relatively mobile (still fondly remember those DOOM II LAN parties 🤣 ).

Retro Rig Photo Thread

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 6261 of 52897, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlphaWing wrote:

Word of warning, don't use the Agp slot on that fic PA-2013 board.
Unless its a very low power card like a GF2 MX.
AGP Voodoo3 ruined one of the boards I owned, voltage regulators are not up to agp spec.

True....
I keep the card for my PA-2013 to TNT2 cards, unless I can get some sort of higher powered PCI slot based card's.
Like FX5200 or something just as powerfull... No V3-AGP is going to touch my FIC board, if it is a AGP-Card.
Clearly remember you'r post about this issue. Just want to know how to figure this MAX voltage thing out.
As I lost track of the original discussion about how to find this out..

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6262 of 52897, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
QBiN wrote:

I already had one of these boards (1MB cache version), but got this to get a spare and was surprised to find out it was one of the rare 2MB versions... Score!

Are they rare? Hmmm.... I would so much rather having an Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev. 5.x board instead.
On the other hand. I have a P-III system for Win98SE.
That is why my FIC is inside a pure MS-Dos-6.22 system, despite K6-III-400 + TNT2-M64 is overkill.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6263 of 52897, by pojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tayyare wrote:

I also have the exact same case!.. 😈 During 386DX-40 and early 486 days (1992-1994), it was one of the most used cases in Turkey. Cheap and nasty, but relatively mobile (still fondly remember those DOOM II LAN parties 🤣 ).

Retro Rig Photo Thread

Cool! Looks much better with a 5.25" floppy in it 😀 Also like the no.1 case a lot.

Reply 6264 of 52897, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nabbed this Toshiba Satellite Pro 435CDS at a thrift store. It said "for parts" on the tag but the contents looked in such great condition I couldn't see what would be wrong with it that wouldn't be easily fixable.

Nothing was wrong with it apart from a line through the middle of the screen and its a tiny bit darker on the top half. I think that is a common problem though that can easily be fixed. The battery still holds a charge! If only I had a docking station.. Really though I cannot keep it. I don't have the room and I'm going to be selling off a bunch of crap because I'll be moving soon. 🙁

Look! Resized pictures!

http://imgur.com/a/pspt8
pH9bqYW.jpg
fZJcyeu.jpg

Reply 6265 of 52897, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Are they rare? Hmmm.... I would so much rather having an Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev. 5.x board instead. On the other hand. I have a P-I […]
Show full quote
QBiN wrote:

I already had one of these boards (1MB cache version), but got this to get a spare and was surprised to find out it was one of the rare 2MB versions... Score!

Are they rare? Hmmm.... I would so much rather having an Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev. 5.x board instead.
On the other hand. I have a P-III system for Win98SE.
That is why my FIC is inside a pure MS-Dos-6.22 system, despite K6-III-400 + TNT2-M64 is overkill.

From what I understand, read elsewhere, and my own searching for spares, yes, the 2MB cache version is rare. They came out in late '98 after the 512K and 1MB cache versions had been out for around 6 months. So most people who wanted a super socket 7 mobo by then either had one, or had a larger field to choose from. The 1MB version was near the top of the performance heap among other Super Socket 7 boards (even the GA-5AX) in the 1998 motherboard review Tom's Hardware did back then. Anandtech also noted it's above average performance. Both of my boards appear to be later revisions, and I have no desire to run Voodoo3+ boards. So I'm good.

I got turned off of 3dfx when I bought a Voodoo3 3000 that I could not get to play nice with an ASUS K7V and Athlon 700 back in 2000. The drivers were crap and a few games I had didn't like it at all. Soldier of Fortune was one I remember specifically. I switched to a nVidia Geforce2-GTS back then and never looked back.

Nothing against a GA-5AX or an Asus P5A, but my FIC has served me well for my late '90's socket 7 period PC.

Reply 6266 of 52897, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got two of these:

q2dSWbP.jpg

IDE, 120GB MLC. Specs are promising: 120MB/s read and 90MB/s write.

These were sold as used, so I was quite surprised to find that their SMART data says otherwise: They've seen 5 power cycles so far with 0 power-on hours total 😀

Reply 6268 of 52897, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These Toshiba laptops are very nice... I have couple of them myself, only TFT variants though.
-----------

Athlon 64 FX-51 just arrived 😀
a64-fx51_fvhjgw.jpg

fx51sfkm3.png

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 6269 of 52897, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not one to seek out CIB hardware, but if it falls on my lap, I'm not going to turn it away!

NSOBRIYh.jpg
luQg2rzh.jpg
PErgdhsh.jpg
iNBNeOsh.jpg
ud1M9cnh.jpg

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 6270 of 52897, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:
http://www.symphoniae.com/soundcard/Creative/CT4760/JPG/CT4801.jpg […]
Show full quote

CT4801.jpg

The Creative accessory formerly known as Unobtainium.

I've owned one in the other room for years and never done much with it. Are they worth selling?

EDIT: I have the white and grey version though, and mine accepts SPDIF optical in.. as well as out, maybe coaxial too, I'd have to dig it up and don't remember exactly.

Reply 6271 of 52897, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

I'm not one to seek out CIB hardware, but if it falls on my lap, I'm not going to turn it away!

Looks like a Tibook, be carefull with the hinges, they are brittle.
is it brand new ?

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 6272 of 52897, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vmunix wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

is it brand new ?

Yep, Titanium PowerBook.

From what I understand from the seller, it was unpacked, switched on, packed back up, and never touched again.

And it does look that way too, so as-good-as-brand-new!

Reply 6273 of 52897, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:
Yep, Titanium PowerBook. […]
Show full quote
vmunix wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

is it brand new ?

Yep, Titanium PowerBook.

From what I understand from the seller, it was unpacked, switched on, packed back up, and never touched again.

And it does look that way too, so as-good-as-brand-new!

Unless you install Linux (like I did) or something you can update, OSX is no longer supported in that one, I would leave everything as you received plus extra wrapping, some day it will be a collectors item.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 6274 of 52897, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Cloudschatze wrote:

EDIT: I have the white and grey version though, and mine accepts SPDIF optical in.. as well as out, maybe coaxial too, I'd have to dig it up and don't remember exactly.

That would be the SB0002, "Digital I/O Module." Both it and the earlier CT4800 are much more prevalent than the CT4801, "Digital Output Module," which uniquely (among the Creative offerings) provides coaxial and optical S/PDIF outputs for the front and rear channels. The rarity of the CT4801 can be attributed both to its geographically limited release, and its exclusive compatibility with the CT4760 SB Live! card.

Using the CT4801, I'm able to reclaim the slot occupied by the second CT4710 in this configuration:

SBIO2.jpg

Joy and rapture.

Reply 6275 of 52897, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
QBiN wrote:
Gamecollector wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong and forgot something but the 50 MHz FSB (P75 (1.5x50) and P100 (2x50)) wasn't supported on my FIC PA-2013... Unfortunately can't retest this, the MB is long ago dead (the layer cracked when I connected an IDE cable).

Nope. You are correct. I spoke too soon. On second glance, the lowest CPU speed it supports is 66MHz FSB and a 1.5x multiplier. Not an issue for me as I the lowest P5 processor I have currently is a P-166. If I ever need to support something lower, I have a Tyan Tomcat S1563D (i430HX chipset) laying around I can use.

Well, even if 50 and 60 MHz were supported - there is Cyrix to the rescue! 6x86-PR120+, 55 MHz bus. And even 6x86-PR90+ with the 40 MHz bus. Make me unseen this please...
Was there any Socket5/7/SS7 motherboard with the 40 MHz support? Really?

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 6276 of 52897, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vmunix wrote:

Unless you install Linux (like I did) or something you can update, OSX is no longer supported in that one, I would leave everything as you received plus extra wrapping, some day it will be a collectors item.

If it's a later model PowerBook Ti, it should run Leopard OK. That's "modern" enough for me. Once you put Linux on something it becomes "just another computer" IMO.

Potential future resale value of these things is of no interest to me. They're toys to me, and I want to play with them. 😀

Reply 6277 of 52897, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Makes you wonder who bought those early 6x86 chips. I mean with a 40MHz bus why not just save some money and buy a 5x86 instead.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6278 of 52897, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gamecollector wrote:

Well, even if 50 and 60 MHz were supported - there is Cyrix to the rescue! 6x86-PR120+, 55 MHz bus. And even 6x86-PR90+ with the 40 MHz bus. Make me unseen this please...
Was there any Socket5/7/SS7 motherboard with the 40 MHz support? Really?

Yes, there were, I own some of them as well 😀
ASUS PCI/I-P54SP4 supports 40mhz FSB, but can't run Cyrix CPU's.
ASUS PCI/I-P54TP4 supports 40mhz FSB and can run Cyrix CPUs. (This was ASUS's first Intel 430FX board in Jan/Feb 1995). See full thread: ASUS PCI/I-P54TP4 Socket 5 motherboard thread/review

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6279 of 52897, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:
http://www.symphoniae.com/soundcard/Creative/CT4760/JPG/CT4801.jpg […]
Show full quote

CT4801.jpg

Glad that you finally found one! 😎