Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 6620 of 52973, by jmannik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
borgie83 wrote:
jmannik wrote:
Got a heatsink for my Athon 500MHz CPU that I had laying around, a local business could get them in brand new from his suppliers […]
Show full quote

Got a heatsink for my Athon 500MHz CPU that I had laying around, a local business could get them in brand new from his suppliers.
image.php?id=4qp7c&f=1%27
image.php?id=wgcf0&f=1%27

Do you think this cooler would fit an Intel Slot 1 SECC2 CPU?

It might, but I can't say for sure I don't have a secc2 cpu to test fit it on.
Having said that it's easier to find secc2 heat sinks anyway.

Dos: AMD 386 DX40 | 8MB RAM | SB Vibra 16
Dos: AMD 586-133|32MB RAM|2GB CF|2MB S3 Virge|AWE32-8MB
WinME: Athlon-500MHz|512MB|2x80GB|SB Live|Voodoo 3 3000 16MB
Win10: i7-6700K|16GB|1x250GB SSD 1x1.5TB|AMD Fury X

Reply 6621 of 52973, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC, Slot A CPUs were identical to SECC1 as far as the cartridge was concerned.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 6622 of 52973, by jmannik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hard1k wrote:

IIRC, Slot A CPUs were identical to SECC1 as far as the cartridge was concerned.

The only. Difference was the and card itself was keyed differently. The heat spreaders looked identical.
The Athlon and early p2 processors used secc1, later p2 and slot p3 used secc2.

Secc1 just clipped to the heat spreader.

Secc2 had pins that went through the card and was secured on the back with a retaining bracket

Dos: AMD 386 DX40 | 8MB RAM | SB Vibra 16
Dos: AMD 586-133|32MB RAM|2GB CF|2MB S3 Virge|AWE32-8MB
WinME: Athlon-500MHz|512MB|2x80GB|SB Live|Voodoo 3 3000 16MB
Win10: i7-6700K|16GB|1x250GB SSD 1x1.5TB|AMD Fury X

Reply 6623 of 52973, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ok BIG POST!

Like most of us, I cruse Craigslist for people selling/trashing old systems. I saw a listing for a bunch of commodore stuff 2 cities over, and I just ignored it. However a friend who almost lives next door did, and he happens to be a Commodore guy. He got in contact and found out it was a storage unit sale and there were some old IBM ps/2's in the pile. I got 3 crappy cell phone pictures;

TK0e1ZEt.jpg EKYGa1ft.jpg MeC9u7Mt.jpg

First thoughts: a model 30, a couple "MEH" units, 2 pcjr's. 2nd pic; that's some pci ibm, i dont want that 3rd pic; wait... is that a 8595? *GASP*

so this Craigslist post about commodores has a decent pile of IBM PS/2 stuff. I borrow some cash, and the next morning my friend and I take the ~130 mile trip (one way) to go get some systems. Long story short, I spend $100 (plus $50 in gas & lunch) and pickup about 12 machines. He gets a commodore or 2 and some documentation.

Rather than make a massive post with lots and lots of pictures, I uploaded everything to an album, but here is my haul:

<<< CLICK ME FOR PICTURE ALBUM >>>

IBM model 30 - doesn't want to work, seems like psu issue.

IBM model 55 - wants to work, but the config is missing on the hard drive, and I didn't want to screw with it at the time, I almost didn't get it, but if you look at the pictures of what was inside, I bet you can see why i'm glad i did get it.

IBM PS/2 power series 830 - POWER PC! it WORKS! has some sort of aix installed, it boots completely and asks for a user/pass sadly admin / admin didn't work 😜

IBM PCjr - what I dismissed as TWO units was in fact ONE. This one has been modified 8 ways from Sunday with SCSI, hard drive, at least 256k of ram, not counting the 3 side cars. also had 2 carts, one was basic the other was a video speed enhancer. NEAT!

IBM model 8595 - seems to WANT to work. starts posting, but stops at a error code of 83. I love how it had an 486 SX and they added the "upgrade" 487. ^.^

IBM model 9595 - sadly pretty stripped. cpu card, mobo and thats about it. had a socket 5 pentium, that i'm just going to assume is 90mhz. I would have crapped a brick if it was a 5v pentium, but oh well.

IBM xstation 140 - works fine, it looks like a dumb x-terminal.

IBM Powerstaion 220 - seems to work, I can HEAR it boot, but the video seems dead, my monitor reports "out of bounds"

not pictured:

TI/99-4A with like 10 carts in boxes
hp vu workstation (single boring p-pro)
IBM CGA color monitor

Not one but TWO 95's? A heavily modded pc-jr? a freaking soundblaster 2 pro for MCA? I think I did well for $150 and 4 hours of driving.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6627 of 52973, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

very nice haul, Ive been wanting a MCA sound card for so long. when I moved I left the bulk of my console/PC collection in a storage unit 2k miles away. I sometimes have nightmares of it accidentally being auctioned off. I periodically make my friend go and check it and take pictures of it to send me to make sure its all still there, 🤣.

Reply 6628 of 52973, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hm, can i join this even if i haven't exactly bought retro hardware?

I went to my local e-waste dumpter to drop a few old tvs and a microwave and found there between a printer and DVD player some video card already being crushed a bit by their weight. Couldn't help myself and had to bring it with me.

20150216_231037.jpg
Filename
20150216_231037.jpg
File size
666.86 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20150216_231103.jpg
Filename
20150216_231103.jpg
File size
577.76 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It end up being a 3D Manli Geforce 2 MX400 64MB. Looks cheap but it works! Not exactly a score but nice nonetheless. The fan doesn't seem to be original one but it does the job.
Came home only to find i already had this exact video card, also with a replacement fan. And if you google this card all the images i get are also with the original fan already removed. I guess the original fan really sucked.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 6629 of 52973, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Managed to win a lot of 3 sound cards on eBay, including a Labway Yamaha YMF718-based card, an ESS Audiodrive ES1869F (I think), and a Pro Audio Spectrum with SCSI interface! All for just under $30, and all are untested. Will post pics and see if they work when they arrive.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 6630 of 52973, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today i scored at a local shop: for 5 euro total i came home with:

Fic pa-2005 via socket 7 board with 2x 32mb edo and a p150
Very nice and clean AT case (minitower) with psu
extra AT psu
Geforce fx5200 ultra agp

Not too shabby.... have to test it but the 5 euro is well spend even just for the case 😎

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6631 of 52973, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
ok BIG POST! […]
Show full quote

ok BIG POST!

Like most of us, I cruse Craigslist for people selling/trashing old systems. I saw a listing for a bunch of commodore stuff 2 cities over, and I just ignored it. However a friend who almost lives next door did, and he happens to be a Commodore guy. He got in contact and found out it was a storage unit sale and there were some old IBM ps/2's in the pile. I got 3 crappy cell phone pictures;

Not one but TWO 95's? A heavily modded pc-jr? a freaking soundblaster 2 pro for MCA? I think I did well for $150 and 4 hours of driving.

That's an awesome haul! Plenty of reasons to get excited 🤣 In particular I'd be over the moon at scoring the 830 and upgraded PC Jr 😎

Reply 6632 of 52973, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JidaiGeki wrote:
luckybob wrote:
ok BIG POST! […]
Show full quote

ok BIG POST!

That's an awesome haul! Plenty of reasons to get excited 🤣 In particular I'd be over the moon at scoring the 830 and upgraded PC Jr 😎

well, keep your eyes open, i'm about to post the pcjr on ebay. I have like 5 people asking about the 830 as well. It's going to pay the cost to pimp out these model 95's. ^.^

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6633 of 52973, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sutekh94 wrote:

Managed to win a lot of 3 sound cards on eBay, including a Labway Yamaha YMF718-based card, an ESS Audiodrive ES1869F (I think), and a Pro Audio Spectrum with SCSI interface! All for just under $30, and all are untested. Will post pics and see if they work when they arrive.

That PAS you bought is the studio model, which has different drivers. Try the ones on Vogon drivers, they worked for me.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6634 of 52973, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:

It's been a while...so here goes! 😎

*fingers hovering over the BAN button* this should be a capital offense!

j/k 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 6635 of 52973, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:
*fingers hovering over the BAN button* this should be a capital offense! […]
Show full quote
Artex wrote:

It's been a while...so here goes! 😎

*fingers hovering over the BAN button* this should be a capital offense!

j/k 😉

No man!! DON'T DO IT!!! 😎

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 6636 of 52973, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:

We'd never do that to such an awesome forum member! 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 6637 of 52973, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Won an auction for an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe mobo on eBay last night. Paid 19eur with shipping, pretty happy with that considering the auction prices I've been seeing lately. All I need now is a PSU and a CPU cooler to start my Q4 2003 build - Northwood 3.2GHz, 1GB of Corsair XMS400 DDR, MSI FX5950Ultra 256MB, Audigy 2 ZS Platinum and a WD Raptor 36GB will be going into this beast.

Reply 6638 of 52973, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:
Artex wrote:

We'd never do that to such an awesome forum member! 😁

🤣 Awwwww thanks man! Not gonna lie, I would definitely cry myself to sleep if that happened (although my wife would be thrilled I'm sure... 😢). This place is an addiction for sure!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 6639 of 52973, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wildcat Realizm 800 arrived late yesterday - fired it up this morning in my A8N-SLI, it works! Ran it through 3DMark01 and AquaMark 3, both ran fine, but it seems to get fairly warm while doing it (not terribly loud though). The "shroud" seems to do its job though - all of the heat is going out the back of the case. There was some oddity in AQ3 which I'm not sure the cause of too, but 3DMark looked proper - none of the "pixel shader bugs" that WildcatVP can exhibit. Will have to try some more benchmarks and 3D applications, but it still looks like a good candidate for my "next" XP machine.