VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 7500 of 52763, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

94-96 are literally "decades" after the series of cards of good reputation I was referring to. Also the amount of problems is related to the market share. Aztech advaned to the worlds greatest or second greatest sound card maker back then.

But hey, btt. I've promised to upload a picture of my AdLib GOLD *wink at Artex* :
Sure it has its marks of use and storage but hey, I was not in the situation to choose between several cards.
I still love how it looks.

The picture has 50% of the possible resolution:

riddle1a.jpg
Filename
riddle1a.jpg
File size
1.59 MiB
Views
File comment
AdLib GOLD ... see the glitter?
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 7501 of 52763, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not that they weren't game compatible it's that if you wanted to install a network card or various other expansion cards you would run into a million problems and in my experience it was always due to these damned Aztech cards.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 7502 of 52763, by meisterister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I got a 900MHz T-Bird Athlon. I'll post pictures when I manage to clean it, but it runs quite well for a $9 CPU! It will be going into a Win9x/ME build that I've been planning for a while.

After testing with a GeForce 4 MX, it can get about 50 fps on the OpenArena timedemo.

Dual Katmai Pentium III (450 and 600MHz), 512ish MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, ATI Rage 128 | K6-2 400MHz / Pentium MMX 166, 80MB RAM, ~2GB Quantum Bigfoot, Awful integrated S3 graphics.

Reply 7503 of 52763, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the little add-on card used for on an Adlib gold?
Also, I wonder how does OPL3 sound from it. I am kinda disappointed in OPL3 quality over OPL2.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 7504 of 52763, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:

What is the little add-on card used for on an Adlib gold?

Stereo/surround module, afik. Only few games (dune only?) use this feature.
I'm looking for a highres pictures of this module, to find is it possible to create replica.

Stojke wrote:

Also, I wonder how does OPL3 sound from it. I am kinda disappointed in OPL3 quality over OPL2.

You can listen/download it here http://www.dosnostalgia.com/?p=542

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 7505 of 52763, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One can use the surround module for ANY OPL3 output. The speciality with Dune is that the surround sound is individually applied to different extents, suiting the music. So Dune doesn't use it globally like one can do it with AWE32 /64 cards.

Stojke wrote:

..Also, I wonder how does OPL3 sound from it. I am kinda disappointed in OPL3 quality over OPL2.

IMO the OPL3 of the AdLib sounds fantastic even without the module. In fact, to be honest, it is the only OPL3 output I really like. It is crisp and clean and has very well defined heights and depths (but more heights in my ears) that seem to be CUT OFF in all other major cards with this chip (I can not remember any Creative OPL3 card that has so well defined treble and bass). The AdLib also has a Hi Fi hardware mixer that is really worth its name. The TDA8425 provides a special operation mode called "spatial stereo" which gives the output a really nice panorama. It is amazing to listen to.
I know it all reads like a fanboy writing but believe me, I listened to tons of old soundcards and never thought I would be thrilled by a product of a company that filed bankruptcy after its release.
The AdLib GOLD is the perfect example that the "free market" doesn't always benefit the best product 😉

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 7507 of 52763, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

... and / or the best promoted / advertised product. Well.. that leads to a big discussion.

Reply 7508 of 52763, by Mut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got both today.

A sidewinder forcefeedback pro and a compaq joy.

Both look like was never used, but the sidewinder i got without psu.

Only $10

Attachments

Reply 7509 of 52763, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FGB wrote:
One can use the surround module for ANY OPL3 output. The speciality with Dune is that the surround sound is individually applied […]
Show full quote

One can use the surround module for ANY OPL3 output. The speciality with Dune is that the surround sound is individually applied to different extents, suiting the music. So Dune doesn't use it globally like one can do it with AWE32 /64 cards.

Stojke wrote:

..Also, I wonder how does OPL3 sound from it. I am kinda disappointed in OPL3 quality over OPL2.

IMO the OPL3 of the AdLib sounds fantastic even without the module. In fact, to be honest, it is the only OPL3 output I really like. It is crisp and clean and has very well defined heights and depths (but more heights in my ears) that seem to be CUT OFF in all other major cards with this chip (I can not remember any Creative OPL3 card that has so well defined treble and bass). The AdLib also has a Hi Fi hardware mixer that is really worth its name. The TDA8425 provides a special operation mode called "spatial stereo" which gives the output a really nice panorama. It is amazing to listen to.
I know it all reads like a fanboy writing but believe me, I listened to tons of old soundcards and never thought I would be thrilled by a product of a company that filed bankruptcy after its release.
The AdLib GOLD is the perfect example that the "free market" doesn't always benefit the best product 😉

Actually that is what I expected to hear because AdLib was the one that introduced OPL synthesis to the PC.
OPL3 sounds muffled with all the cards I tried (AWE32, SB16, SB PRO2, PAS16, Crystal FM, etc). Even an no name SB1.5 clone sounds amazing with its OPL2.

On the story of bankruptcy, same thing happened to Commodore and Amiga (the best computer of all time).
Seems to be a trend to ruin all thats good 😀

easy_john wrote:

Stereo/surround module, afik. Only few games (dune only?) use this feature.
I'm looking for a highres pictures of this module, to find is it possible to create replica.

That sounds interesting, hardware effects always sound better than crappy software effects.
I've seen that module a few times on the net, even in high res, some people definitely have it.

easy_john wrote:

You can listen/download it here http://www.dosnostalgia.com/?p=542

Thanks!

Reply 7510 of 52763, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FGB wrote:

But hey, btt. I've promised to upload a picture of my AdLib GOLD *wink at Artex*

Absolutely beautiful card there Fabian! Thanks for the pic!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 7511 of 52763, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got few soundcards today for free (except gus) from local forum member. I already told you that I'm collecting soundcards? ;)
IMG_4316.JPG.
5x awe/sb32, 5x awe64, 7x sb16, 3x vibra16, 2x pas/jazz, gus max, 2x ad-based, 2x ess based, vortex, ess maestro and 2 unknown.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb

Reply 7514 of 52763, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:

OPL3 sounds muffled with all the cards I tried (AWE32, SB16, SB PRO2, PAS16, Crystal FM, etc). Even an no name SB1.5 clone sounds amazing with its OPL2.

Ever tried the YMF719...?

Reply 7515 of 52763, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:

What kind of a card is that winbond one?

Looks like it's not a soundcard. It has "vga in", "vga out" and "speaker". May be some kind of fullmotion video accelerator?

Reply 7516 of 52763, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

I have one. The only thing noisier than the card i have is an Airplane 🤣

easy_john wrote:
Stojke wrote:

What kind of a card is that winbond one?

Looks like it's not a soundcard. It has "vga in", "vga out" and "speaker". May be some kind of fullmotion video accelerator?

Yeah that seems more logical.

Were there ever OPN YM2610 sound cards for PC?

Reply 7517 of 52763, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

I have one. The only thing noisier than the card i have is an Airplane 🤣

Mine was too, until I disabled the amplifiers and turned off some stereo enhancements. Now it is a good and quiet card.