Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 7600 of 52744, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote:

Wait...what? Turbo on an ATX? Or was this Celeron an AT?

Honestly, I wouldn't know. It's been well over ten years since I had the system, and I was too young to know anything about AT or ATX back then. 😀 I don't remember much, other than it was an MATX-sized tower (roughly), what CPU it used, that the case had a turbo button, and that I gave it to my cousin in 2003/2004 because his system wasn't really strong enough to run Windows 95, whilst this ran 98 easily. I'd jumped to my late grandfather's Athlon XP machine at that point (1800+ I believe).

Reply 7601 of 52744, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

THEY. ARE. GORGEOUS!!!

The one I got seems to be from canada as well! Small world huh!

Nice case! 😉
but can't understand why it has a DIN-5 connector on front panel? 😀

--wbcbz7

Reply 7602 of 52744, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wbc wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

THEY. ARE. GORGEOUS!!!

The one I got seems to be from canada as well! Small world huh!

Nice case! 😉
but can't understand why it has a DIN-5 connector on front panel? 😀

Connect the keyboard to the FRONT! I dont know why it never seemed to catch on though. 😜

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 7603 of 52744, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

Connect the keyboard to the FRONT! I dont know why it never seemed to catch on though. 😜

Maybe because most people would place the tower on the floor, beneath a desk and it made more sense to route the keyboard cable around the back. Even if the case was placed on top of a desk it would make more sense for the keyboard cable to be going to the back instead of crossing the keyboard to connect to the front.

If flat screens existed back then it would come in handy, since people could just put the computer case behind the monitor. Or if it was placed near a TV with the intent of connecting the PC to it and use it from the couch, but that wasn't a thing back then.

Basically that case was some 10~15 years ahead of its time 😀

Reply 7605 of 52744, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always wanted a case like that for my MIDI rig... So I could wire that connector to the MIDI OUT on the sound card and hook the CZ/RZ/MU/O1 etc right into the front.

Edit: Suppose I could just make a blank drive bay slot for it or mod a crappy case, given I'm moving to an ATX machine for that task anyway.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 7606 of 52744, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oerk wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

Found this nifty NIB Cherry keyboard in a thrift shop today:

http://imgur.com/a/JkxdD

Goddammit! I just turned my Highscreen branded Cherry keyboard around and... there it is! A PC/AT switch!

I've had this thing for over 22 years and never knew about that switch! Thank you!

Ha! So I suppose you've never, uh... cleaned it? 🤣

badmojo wrote:

Ooh la la, I like that!

Thought it would make a nice keyboard for my 5150, or for adlib tracker (because of nkro), but it might just be gone soon since people are offering me $60+ for the double-shot keycaps alone...

Reply 7607 of 52744, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently I decided to see if I could rebuild my very first "own" PC, An Abit TX with a Cyrix 6x86L PR200+ (2x75MHz). Turns out that it's hard to find this hardware (and expensive!), but I still decided to ask friends and family to donate old PC's and see what would show up. I also looked at local ads to see if there would be anything interesting. Some guy was selling two 19"4U cases with 'very old hardware' in it fot cheap, so I took a gamble and bought them. Picked them up without looking inside. He told me one of them is a dual PIII, so I'm hoping Abit BP6 but we'll see. The Plextor drive was enough to fill me with good memories already 😀 Will open them up tomorrow and see what's inside 😀

u8XzYSpl.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 7608 of 52744, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:
oerk wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

Found this nifty NIB Cherry keyboard in a thrift shop today:

http://imgur.com/a/JkxdD

Goddammit! I just turned my Highscreen branded Cherry keyboard around and... there it is! A PC/AT switch!

I've had this thing for over 22 years and never knew about that switch! Thank you!

Ha! So I suppose you've never, uh... cleaned it? 🤣

Took it out of storage only recently, and before that, I wouldn't have known what the switch is for 🤣

Reply 7609 of 52744, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote:
tokroger wrote:
Finally found one of these... […]
Show full quote

Finally found one of these...

20150510_150246.jpg

20150510_150301.jpg

Unfortunately there were no psu or cables but it didn't cost much. And they both seems to be pretty good condition, there was no dust or debree in the cases so I think these are working condition

Wow you lucky duck!

Very nice! I have wayyyyy too much commodore sture.. I think I have two 128's in box, maybe 4... I have like 8 C64 maybe half with boxes.. tons of drives.. 8 crates of software...

Reply 7610 of 52744, by tokroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thraka wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:
tokroger wrote:
Finally found one of these... […]
Show full quote

Finally found one of these...

20150510_150246.jpg

20150510_150301.jpg

Unfortunately there were no psu or cables but it didn't cost much. And they both seems to be pretty good condition, there was no dust or debree in the cases so I think these are working condition

Wow you lucky duck!

Very nice! I have wayyyyy too much commodore sture.. I think I have two 128's in box, maybe 4... I have like 8 C64 maybe half with boxes.. tons of drives.. 8 crates of software...

I used to have somekind of collection about decade ago but then I met this girl...well you guess the rest 😉 That girl is history and I started collecting few years back. Now I have this 128, two 64's and original A500. Commodore stuff is quite expensive and i'm that cheap that I don't want to pay much 😀 But i'm not in hurry, this time any girl or anything else can't come between me and retro 😁

Reply 7611 of 52744, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Saw an ICL 7500 terminal monitor from the 70's at the flea market today.

It looked really cool, with a large monochrome tube, but I don't really have space left for more junk...

Reply 7612 of 52744, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Packard Bell Miami Socket 7 Board http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/miami.htm + 384MB SDRAM + Voodoo 3 3000 PCI 5.5 SGRAM etc.

I found some treasure today 😁

Last edited by Arctic on 2015-05-15, 00:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7613 of 52744, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I might have found one AWE64 Gold CT4390 for 7.52 Dollars excluded shipping.
Should I go for it? 😉

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7615 of 52744, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, went to some guys house to sell an old laptop (I'm not really into laptops) off offer up. So i knock on the guys door and he he looks like hes high on something and tells me hes really sorry but he doesn't have any money. I was only selling the thing for $15 but regardless I drove it over to him cause he said he didn't drive and offered me $6 extra for gas. needless to say I was pissed but but then he offered me a motherboard in trade. at this point I just wanted to go home so I accepted.

20150514_194922_zpsxi8dfs1q.jpg

its a SOYO dragon ultra. it posts (to my surprise) but at least half the caps are bad.

Reply 7616 of 52744, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
soviet conscript wrote:
Well, went to some guys house to sell an old laptop (I'm not really into laptops) off offer up. So i knock on the guys door and […]
Show full quote

Well, went to some guys house to sell an old laptop (I'm not really into laptops) off offer up. So i knock on the guys door and he he looks like hes high on something and tells me hes really sorry but he doesn't have any money. I was only selling the thing for $15 but regardless I drove it over to him cause he said he didn't drive and offered me $6 extra for gas. needless to say I was pissed but but then he offered me a motherboard in trade. at this point I just wanted to go home so I accepted.

20150514_194922_zpsxi8dfs1q.jpg

its a SOYO dragon ultra. it posts (to my surprise) but at least half the caps are bad.

Wow it is a mirror image of my board. If you can recap it and get it to run stable it will be a perfect 9x machine. Supports from a 1.4 Willamette p4 to a 2.8 Northwood, has an AGP Pro slot that is universal and will run a Voodoo 3. Supports 2gb of DDR 333 or 3gb of DDR 266 and overall is a fantastic motherboard IF the caps have not messed it up to bad.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 7617 of 52744, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since we're going on about soyo boards, I have this one in the other room. The caps are bulging a little and it runs unstable as heck, and really really hot for what it is, like taking a 1.6 ghz applebred chip to 65c idle with a big cooler hot. I think the bad caps do that.

Anyway, some day I'll get it re-capped, and it's a rather nice board so I will keep it and get it fixed up some day.

It has the optional Promise IDE-133 raid chip on it and everything.

soyo_dragon_plus_motherboard_by_kithelyn-d68avcu.jpg

Reply 7618 of 52744, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This Soltek SL-865PRO2-FGR motherboard I just bought use a somewhat similar color scheme as those Soyo boards.

Has anyone seen a more full featured i865PE board than this one? 😀
SoltekSL865PRO2FGR.jpg

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 7619 of 52744, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

Has anyone seen a more full featured i865PE board than this one? 😀

Funny you should ask. Im working on one of these bad boys right now:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboar … 75/P4SCT_II.cfm
1080051013.jpg

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.