Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 9360 of 52803, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dant wrote:

Got a brand new full tower AT case! Wasn't cheap, but could certainly be worth it for its uncommon features...

Its what I tend to call an "Extended AT" case, for those four extra expansion slots above the keyboard, exactly what you need for such amazing boards as an Supermicro P6DGH or an Asus P/I P65UP8. Along with that it has a standard power supply mount, two 80mm fan mounts, one in the front for expansion cards and one in the back. There's two external 3.5" bays, five 5.25" bays, and three internal 3.5" bays, a 3 digit CPU speed indicator, and IMO, the best power switch in existence 🤣

Awesome case!! Is there a turbo button or just a turbo LED on there?

If so, it kind of sucks that you wouldn't be able to make use of it with that Tyan board (which is an amazing deal BTW...nice find on that board!).

Reply 9361 of 52803, by y2k se

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:

Not retro. But it has taken me what, years? Something like, just to get hold of one. I finally own something made this decade... Unfortunately, that means I am now committed so buying old hardware won't happen so often for around a year until this is finished. Sucks, but these things have to be done. Motherboard probably coming next pay day, don't know, depends if I get around to listing some old parts on eBay and they sell before that time - I have a FIC VIP board, some surplus processors (Cyrix 486 mostly) and maybe some P4/Athlon 64 stuff to get rid of.

I have a close relative to that CPU, the Xeon E3-1265L V3. 4 core / 8 threads, turbos to 3.7GHz all in a TDP of 45W.

Tualatin Celeron 1.4 + Powerleap PL-IP3/T, ASUS P2B, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Voodoo2 SLI, AWE64, 32GB IDE SSD, Dell 2001FP

Reply 9362 of 52803, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retrofanatic wrote:
Dant wrote:

Got a brand new full tower AT case! Wasn't cheap, but could certainly be worth it for its uncommon features...

Its what I tend to call an "Extended AT" case, for those four extra expansion slots above the keyboard, exactly what you need for such amazing boards as an Supermicro P6DGH or an Asus P/I P65UP8. Along with that it has a standard power supply mount, two 80mm fan mounts, one in the front for expansion cards and one in the back. There's two external 3.5" bays, five 5.25" bays, and three internal 3.5" bays, a 3 digit CPU speed indicator, and IMO, the best power switch in existence 🤣

Awesome case!! Is there a turbo button or just a turbo LED on there?

If so, it kind of sucks that you wouldn't be able to make use of it with that Tyan board (which is an amazing deal BTW...nice find on that board!).

Thank ya! There is indeed a turbo button along with a turbo LED, its behind the door at the front along with the drive bays and that ridiculous power switch 🤣 TBH about the board, I'm surprised no one else on here seems to have snatched one up and posted about it on here. The seller did have 48 more boards like that, and mine was certainly mint enough to be new, I'd go hit the guy with an offer if you want one.

Reply 9363 of 52803, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote:

This item should arrive tomorrow. The only retro item I've been actively hunting for is a wavetable daughtercard at a reasonable price. This is the Diamond Monster MIDI 4MB. I've read generally positive things about this board on Vogons.

One question I have: Can this daughtercard also be used with an ISA soundcard with wavetable header, such as the SB16?

Hey nice card! Yes you can use that DB on anything with the relevant header. I have the 2MB and think it sounds fine, so the 4MB will be like twice as good!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 9364 of 52803, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have in issue with an item I have bought but not received. Perhaps some other member can answer my questions as Ebay dosnt have a working custumer support.

I won a motherboard from the UK on Ebay. The seller used the "Global Shipping Program" so the shipping was double the normal cost. The motherboard has spent a week in transit from the UK but now the shipping status says "Delivered" but I have not received the item yet. When I check the transit status it says it was delivered at noon yesterday in the wrong city? Is this normal? I guess they could have delivered the item to yet another courier for further transport but how do I then prove I have not received the item when the shipping status says "Delivered" (in case it dosnt get here)?

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 9365 of 52803, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another sweet deal from a local recycling center. 10€ for this beauty. Well, not exactly beauty, but it does have this IBM-esque ruggedness and quality that you know it just lasts forever.

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
151.67 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
mikromikko-3-tt-m215.jpg
Filename
mikromikko-3-tt-m215.jpg
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license

Specs here:

http://www.1000bit.it/scheda.asp?id=2263

Reply 9366 of 52803, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote:
This item should arrive tomorrow. The only retro item I've been actively hunting for is a wavetable daughtercard at a reasonable […]
Show full quote

This item should arrive tomorrow. The only retro item I've been actively hunting for is a wavetable daughtercard at a reasonable price. This is the Diamond Monster MIDI 4MB. I've read generally positive things about this board on Vogons.

One question I have: Can this daughtercard also be used with an ISA soundcard with wavetable header, such as the SB16?

diamondwave.jpg

Wow! It seems from my experience over the boards, here that a PCI audio board with expandable MIDI abilities is really not very common. Nice find!

Reply 9367 of 52803, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got some cool stuff today 😀

Socket 754 ALi / ULi chipset motherboard made by Jetway (unfortunately) + socket 754 Athlon 64 3000+, together with a geforce 4 MX4000 and 1GB of DDR400 (2x512) and a rather common ECS VIA KT400 board that came with a less common Athlon XP 2600+ | 256k cache | 333Mhz FSB | 2083MHz CPU. I've never seen a 2600+ that wasn't a barton until now. This one came with 2x256 DDR400, a radeon 9250 128/128 and an 80GB WD IDE HDD. Pictures:

8Y6jA3xl.jpg 4iJlEChl.jpg

IBM T23 Pentium III 1GHz / 256Mb ram / S3 Savage IX 16MB - this one I got as defective. It would not power on, but after simply taking the ram out and putting it back in, it posted just fine. I replaced the CMOS battery and the HDD it came with (it was dead) and installed windows 98. Neat little machine.

a0Btdecl.jpg

Soltek socket 478 WHITE PCB i845 motherboard + white PCB Geforce 4 MX - these things were an impusle buy - they looked so good I just had to have them. Price was right too!

IvIeyA5l.jpg ic54h2tl.jpg

The video card works perfectly, but the mainboard is dead. It was sold as defective with swollen caps (you can see from the pictures I swapped some of the 2200uf caps on top of the board) but unfortunately it still won't work. It has a short somewhere - here's hoping it's not one of the chips. I'd really like to get it running and install it into a plexiglas case.

R9 280x Asus Direct CUII - not retro by any means, but it came in bulk and it was SILLY CHEAP! Got it for 100 euro so I couldn't pass on it. The seller had 16 cards, and sold out in a matter of hours. I don't really have a desktop that could take advantage of it and no real use for it since my laptop has a GTX 980m, but it was so cheap 😀 - I did test it in my only modern-ish PC - a 3GHz AM3 Athlon X4 and it works great.

mNYQqNEl.jpg

I also got a sorry looking Compaq v1020 evo - this thing was given to me as defective (just like the T23) and it turns out the CPU was missing. It runs a DESKTOP socket 478 CPU witch is pretty cool. I stuffed a 2GHz northwood in it and it posted. The machine comes with a ATi Mobility Radeon video card, either a 9000 or a 7500 - can't really tell since someone glued the heatsink on top of the chip and I didn't install windows on it yet.

the speaker jack is torn off the motherboard and someone hijacked the speaker output and connected it to a jack socket to use with headphones or external spleakers. I soldered an appropriate jack back on and rewired the laptop's JBL speakers to the connector. Most of the screws are missing and the top part of the lid is cracked where it meets the hinges so the lid is really floppy. I think I have a similar compaq laptop (if not identical) somewhere, I'll probably be able to replace the lid.

It would make for an interesting high-end windows 98 machine.

Reply 9368 of 52803, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, interesting. That Compaq actually has an ATI chipset, and seems like it shipped new with a 2.4 GHz CPU. It being an IGP340M, it would seem to have a Mobility 7000 GPU installed. Nice find, shame it's such a messed-up example.

Now, today, I finally received this, after a postal farce and 3 weeks of waiting or so:

GonJvgBl.jpg

One fully-functioning Atari 520STFm for £40 posted. Not a bad price considering that it came with the mouse, the original floppy drive (which works perfectly), the RF cable and a parallel cable of some kind - plus its original (albeit somewhat tatty) box. Everything seems to work, although both games I own seem to need a joystick - so that's on order as well! Even the mouse works, although the buttons aren't as responsive as they could be - it does track fine though, and the buttons seem to improve with a little use. Now I'll probably be looking to find a new home for the other one I have at some point in the near future. A non-retro recent purchase was a Lenovo Thinkpad T430 (with an i5 CPU that fractionally outdrags the i3 in my desktop!) for £80 - needed a HDD and caddy, plus a charger, but that's all it needed. It does have a supervisor password and only will boot from the HDD and LAN as a result right now, but I've been able to work around that.

Reply 9369 of 52803, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:

I got some cool stuff today 😀

Very nice haul...

Lukeno94 wrote:

Hmm, interesting. That Compaq actually has an ATI chipset, and seems like it shipped new with a 2.4 GHz CPU. It being an IGP340M, it would seem to have a Mobility 7000 GPU installed. Nice find, shame it's such a messed-up example.

Now, today, I finally received this, after a postal farce and 3 weeks of waiting or so:

One fully-functioning Atari 520STFm for £40 posted.

Cool! Everyone seems to have an Amiga, but Atari's don't get mentioned often. Would you know any Atari games that are particularly good? E.g. not "just" a port from Commodore, but games that are showcasing what the Atari can do?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9370 of 52803, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great find Lukeno94!
I love the atari st. I have about 5 different st systems including the 520st 520stfm 1040stfm st4 a couple atari crts etc. (But no falcon unfortunately 🙁

Actually the first time I played leisure suit larry 1 and monkey island was on an atari st and not on a dos system.

Anyways...atari mania has a nice top 100 list of atari st games.

http://www.atarimania.com/top-atari-atari-st-_G_S_7.html

Reply 9371 of 52803, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

I think I have a similar compaq laptop (if not identical) somewhere, I'll probably be able to replace the lid.

Turns out I was right. I have some compaq N800v case parts, including the lid and hinges + 15" display. It looks identical to the 1020, right down to the custom slot on the top with the wifi card. I'll use it to rebuild the 1020 since the n800 is dead (mainboard has a short somewhere I can't seem to locate).

Guess sometimes it pays to hoard stuff.

Reply 9372 of 52803, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also got these for 4€. I've been waiting to get my hands on an ATI 9800 Pro which seem to be harder to catch in the wild than is should. I've seen a lot of 9600 (pro)'s and such, but for some reason the 9800 series is really elusive.

cards.jpg
Filename
cards.jpg
File size
370.56 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 9373 of 52803, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boxpressed wrote:
This item should arrive tomorrow. The only retro item I've been actively hunting for is a wavetable daughtercard at a reasonable […]
Show full quote

diamondwave.jpg

Of course! You can use it on any ISA oder PCI Sound card with wavetable header!

Reply 9374 of 52803, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found these at the local "Super Dollar" store for ten cents each. 🤣

IMG_20151017_120912741.jpg
Filename
IMG_20151017_120912741.jpg
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_20151017_120923395.jpg
Filename
IMG_20151017_120923395.jpg
File size
1.19 MiB
Views
File license

They're actually really good quality Pentel pens, and they still work!

Reply 9375 of 52803, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today:

-Cirrus Logic GD5446-HC PCI (one of the latest chipset)
-Rage 128 Ultra 32MB SDR AGP (made in 2003? I didn't remember that)
-Trident TGUI9440 PCI
-Creative Banshee 16MB AGP (finally..never had one)
-Radeon 9600XT 256M

Reply 9376 of 52803, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
R9 280x Asus Direct CUII - not retro by any means, but it came in bulk and it was SILLY CHEAP! Got it for 100 euro so I couldn't […]
Show full quote

R9 280x Asus Direct CUII - not retro by any means, but it came in bulk and it was SILLY CHEAP! Got it for 100 euro so I couldn't pass on it. The seller had 16 cards, and sold out in a matter of hours. I don't really have a desktop that could take advantage of it and no real use for it since my laptop has a GTX 980m, but it was so cheap 😀 - I did test it in my only modern-ish PC - a 3GHz AM3 Athlon X4 and it works great.

mNYQqNEl.jpg

By the way, have you tested this card with WinXp 32-bit? IIRC this is the last AMD card with WinXp support...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 9377 of 52803, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sf78 wrote:

Also got these for 4€. I've been waiting to get my hands on an ATI 9800 Pro which seem to be harder to catch in the wild than is should. I've seen a lot of 9600 (pro)'s and such, but for some reason the 9800 series is really elusive.

cards.jpg

I agree. They are very difficult to find. That is an amazing deal. Congrats! Are you planning to use the 9800 in a win98 build?