VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 9440 of 52786, by Ticondrius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I buy laptop keyboards direct from the maker. They often have supplies of very out of date parts for really old machines. The problem is you're going to pay original retail price, but you ensure you get the right part in flawless condition.

Reply 9441 of 52786, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ticondrius wrote:

I buy laptop keyboards direct from the maker. They often have supplies of very out of date parts for really old machines. The problem is you're going to pay original retail price, but you ensure you get the right part in flawless condition.

It doesn't make financial sense for me to spend that much when I'm fixing up older laptops to sell on. This is assuming it's even possible to do so in the UK...

Reply 9442 of 52786, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The last laptop keyboard I purchased was a few weeks back (for an iBook g3-500) and it came in a padded envelope with cardboard on both sides and one of the corners was best (easily bent back, 100% working). Considering it was $8 shipped I can't complain.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 9443 of 52786, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This arrived in the mail today. One of the things to watch out for on eBay is retail packaging with a non-matching card. After upgrading, the buyer just puts the old card into the new card's box. I figured that that was what was happening here: a CT1350B in a CT1730 box. Floppies go to the SB 2.0. Not a bad deal for about $20 shipped. This happens a lot with video cards too.

P1110748.jpg

Reply 9444 of 52786, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I don't have a hybrid 386DX/486 motherboard at the moment, but I do have an IBM 486SLC2 motherboard with VLB slots. I'm not sure if it would work, but I'm going to give it a try.

That SCSI controller looks to be the balls! Never knew such existed... the only slight downside I can say is the onboard bandwidth using an SX chipset instead of utilizing DX. Still, I do not think there will be a faster SCSI VLB controller out there.

btw... what like is your IBM VLB board? Anything like this; -

Just picked her up as she was local and going for a fair £14.

d25ce9442505948.jpg

Last edited by 386_junkie on 2015-10-23, 09:48. Edited 5 times in total.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 9445 of 52786, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386_junkie wrote:

That SCSI controller looks to be the balls! Never knew such existed... the only slight downside I can say is the onboard bandwidth using an SX chipset instead of utilizing DX. Still, I do not think there will be a faster SCSI VLB controller out there.

Parallel SCSI is a 16-bit bus, so I doubt being an SX instead of an DX will hurt it THAT much. Btw, that card does look awesome!

Reply 9446 of 52786, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:
386_junkie wrote:

Parallel SCSI is a 16-bit bus, so I doubt being an SX instead of an DX will hurt it THAT much. Btw, that card does look awesome!

... and the controller itself was probably much more expensive than a complete 386 back in the day, so even if there was a serious performance impact, they would rather spend a little more on DX to stay on top.

Reply 9447 of 52786, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

You may be right, I know that VLB is a 32-bit interface... I just wrongfully assumed (w/ 386 hat on) that any controller itself was capable of addressing 32-bits, but it makes sense as other controllers i've seen and own have 186's and 286's.

See how spoilt we're getting these days! 🤣

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 9448 of 52786, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yet another 386 motherboard to add to the pile, yet this one is a little different... i've never owned before a Symphony chipset board, it was listed as untested (though it looks brand new) and I got it for £11. I just hope it works ok!

a13083442505905.jpg

Last edited by 386_junkie on 2015-10-23, 09:49. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 9450 of 52786, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

Image doesn't show...

I do not know why... I have the correct syntax. Is it a compatibility problem with dropbox or something? Anyone know of a decent free filesharing service? is photobucket ok?

Reply 9451 of 52786, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
boxpressed wrote:

This arrived in the mail today. One of the things to watch out for on eBay is retail packaging with a non-matching card. After upgrading, the buyer just puts the old card into the new card's box. I figured that that was what was happening here: a CT1350B in a CT1730 box. Floppies go to the SB 2.0. Not a bad deal for about $20 shipped. This happens a lot with video cards too.
[/img]

Interesting. You can contact the seller and get a discount out of this situation...

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9452 of 52786, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386_junkie wrote:
kixs wrote:

Image doesn't show...

I do not know why... I have the correct syntax. Is it a compatibility problem with dropbox or something? Anyone know of a decent free filesharing service? is photobucket ok?

Could be some browser add-on. I had this problem too with some posts, the add-on causing this for me seemed to be Privacy Badger. After I disabled that I could see the images.

Reply 9454 of 52786, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tertz wrote:
386_junkie wrote:

Anyone know of a decent free filesharing service?

imagebam
upload, then click "copy image url"

Thanks Tertz

Reply 9456 of 52786, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uploading to the "public" folder on Dropbox and "copy publich link" works as well.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9457 of 52786, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got these for $14. Status unknown but looks good, no visible damage. No time to test it right now.

Athlon 550 - 180nm (Model 2)
k7_550igs3i.jpg

FIC SD11 - AMD-750 chipset
fic_sd11_1fespe.jpg

Kinda weird I/O layout
fic_sd11_2c4sza.jpg

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 9459 of 52786, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all the help guys.

Ended up going for Imagebam. Dropbox not working even when following protocol.

Imagebam making things easier for sure