VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 9541 of 52940, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Received an Acer Magic S23A ISA sound card in the mail today.

IMG_20151104_120420407.jpg
Filename
IMG_20151104_120420407.jpg
File size
1.76 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20151104_120425621.jpg
Filename
IMG_20151104_120425621.jpg
File size
2.19 MiB
Views
File license

I've been looking for a Reveal SC500 to complete my Dream 486 retro rebuild, and until I can find one (IF I can find one) this will work as a functionally-identical alternative since it has the exact same chipsets. 😊

Reply 9542 of 52940, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an AOpen AW32 Pro, which is identical to the Acer Magic S23A except that it has IDE and the additional ICs to run it. I like its wavetable synth.

Reply 9543 of 52940, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

(since it uses some weird cable to adapt to DB15).

That kicked some memories. Just pawed through my remaining box of mac adapters but it appears I butchered that one for a later project.

Be aware that not all PC CRT will work, despite the adapter. Ran into this with my 7600 after the final Apple-brand 17" died. It would only work properly with an NEC I had, not my IBM, LG, or ViewSonics. This has to do with Apple's 'sense code' system, and you'll want to google to get a proper explanation. But the heads-up to take away is that when you do get the adaptor, don't figure video is necessarily borked if things don't work on the first few few CRT you try. You may have to fiddle an extra stage with a diode or two.

Reply 9544 of 52940, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a pair of spares-or-repair ThinkPad 600Es for a tenner and they arrived on Monday. Sadly, I don't think either is salvageable; one has a supervisor password, the other won't run from a charger, only from a battery (something is shorting in the charging circuit I think - it will attempt to run off a charger, but will immediately shut off unless a battery is installed, and it won't charge a battery. There's only one working screen between the two (which has a dead pixel), and one of the CPUs seemed to conk out as well, which wasn't helpful. However, both keyboards seem to be good, and that was the main reason I bought them; they were a cheap way of getting my hands on a replacement keyboard for my ThinkPad 600. I actually took the whole palmrest over as the 600's was cracked in two places, and I also scavenged a good DVD drive (those go for more than a tenner on their own on eBay) and a stronger battery from the 600Es. Couldn't take the good CPU across as IBM decided to swap the connector for the newer CPUs, but ah well.

Anyway, it now looks like this, with a particularly epic sticker:
g7mikVWl.jpg

The 600Es came with a ThinkPad 600 restoration DVD-R, so I used it. I've also done an ISO dump of it - if anyone knows of somewhere to upload that image, please tell me and I'll do so.

Reply 9545 of 52940, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

just got this to replace the 10mhz 8088 in my XT 😁

1o4sgbb.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9546 of 52940, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought 2 dfi boards:
- K6BV3+ /66 via mvp3 , it came with a K6-2 500mhz.
- CA61 via apollo 133, came with a pentium 3-733mhz, it works but needs a couple of caps replaced.

Reply 9547 of 52940, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rps20151104_155944.jpg
Filename
rps20151104_155944.jpg
File size
122 KiB
Views
File license
rps20151104_160011.jpg
Filename
rps20151104_160011.jpg
File size
83.04 KiB
Views
File license

A us robotics external modem...
And I got an agp 8x ati 512mb x1600. I wonder if I can get it to work with win98?? Anyone have any luck with that?

Reply 9549 of 52940, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nothing exciting but could not miss out on this brand new boxed socket 7/370 cooler...

Socket7_Cooler_zpsqa0xfagf.jpg

Will go nicely on my Cyrix PR166 system.

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 9550 of 52940, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
manbearpig wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/kcWntM1h.jpg […]
Show full quote

kcWntM1h.jpg

PII board with 4 ISA slots, for $9.50! It's an MSI OEM board, Premio 212B. Can't find much info about it but it looks like a 440LX and I've got a 333MHz PII ready to drop in.

Sorry I'm a few days behind on this thread and replying to something a little while ago. But I wanted to help you because I know where this info is and how to find it.

So here you go: https://web.archive.org/web/20060213202240/ht … aqs/212bfaq.htm

Reply 9552 of 52940, by Mr.Scott

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got one of these today. GFD for slot A.
Now....maybe somebody has some directions as to what the switch combinations are.....preferably in English. The original directions are almost illegible and my German ain't so good. Manufacturer is Madex.

OCC.JPG
Filename
OCC.JPG
File size
631.26 KiB
Views
File license
OCC2.JPG
Filename
OCC2.JPG
File size
936.6 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 9555 of 52940, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mr.Scott wrote:

Now....maybe somebody has some directions as to what the switch combinations are.....preferably in English. The original directions are almost illegible and my German ain't so good. Manufacturer is Madex.

<snip>

Where do you manage to find these? I've been seeking one myself for years. 😢

Reply 9556 of 52940, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mr.Scott wrote:
Got one of these today. GFD for slot A. Now....maybe somebody has some directions as to what the switch combinations are.....pre […]
Show full quote

OCC.JPG
OCC2.JPG

I could translate the instructions for you.

Reply 9557 of 52940, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BSA Starfire wrote:

Bought these bits today:

IBM 386 SX 25 motherboard with built-in everything,VGA(cirrus logic), IDE, Floppy, Serial, LPT & PS2 keyboard & mouse. Really convienient way into the world of 386, early DOS stuff, even has the ISA riser for a soundcard & better yet no barrel battery to leak all over the place, personally I reckon this will be a total diamond. No idea what I will do for a case, will have to wait for it to arrive and see what I can figure out.(these are sellers pictures). Anyhow pretty neat & cost the same as 3 cups of coffee 😉

Nice find... I like IBM 386 motherboards. Of the oringinals, this is one of the nicer ones. Not many 386 bords can boast an onboard disk controller... only AMI's Babyscreamer comes to mind.

You may find an empty case around the continent... I've seen some IBM empties quite recently, on ebay Spain I saw one, also germany is a good bet; - ebay.de.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 9558 of 52940, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this free from work a few months ago - I don't drive at the moment so I had to take the PC home on a 30 minute walk, which I knew would prove difficult! So I took it home bit by bit 😀 Unfortunately I dropped the hard drive and killed it but found a suitable replacement in my stash of PC junk.

case_1.jpg

A Pentium 75mhz with 8megs of ram and an S3 trio. Board seems to be an Intel 82430FX TRITON

case_2.jpg

It was used by the media services department and had two REALLY long ISA cards in it. Not sure what they are but I can get photos if anyone cares. I think one must be a capture card of some variety. It had some funky multimedia broadcast software on it but unfortunately I can't remember what exactly and the drive is dead now.. 🙁

The case itself is fairly crap.. though I've never owned a non Gateway 2000/Dell OEM machine so maybe this is run of the mill 😀 The Hard drive screws into the case from underneath the outside of the case, and it's below the PSU, so you have to remove the PSU to swap the hard drive out, which is awkward. Half the SIMM slots are under the PSU too. The switch is one of the awesome AT power switches but is mounted behind a really crap cheap plastic switch - pressing ON works fine but going off doesn't because there isn't enough clearance sometimes for the switch to fully disengage.

I had some old SIMMs in the cupboard (also free from work) and discovered I had 2 x 32meg and 2 x 16meg chips - Happy days, the machine now has 64 megs of ram - overkill? 😀

I also had some pentium CPUs knocking about - one was absolutely COATED in thermal gunk, had a few bent pins and has been in a drawer with all sorts of random junk and has no doubt been knocked about fairly badly. I decided to try it, being 99% sure it wouldn't work.

Cleared off all the paste (took special thermal paste removal stuff and a few q-tips and kitchen paper) - discovered it's a 133mhz chip. re-bent the pins straight using a mechanical pencil - the barrel of the pencil slips over the pins and makes straightening them very easy.

Removed the existing CPU and was surprised to find no thermal paste - just bare heatsink on top of bare CPU - was this normal back then?

Put the 133mhz cpu... turned on and....it's working! 😀 though at 75mhz. Have managed to get it to 100mhz but need to change the processor multiplier to get it up to proper speed. I've a thread opened for that..

No idea what I'll do with the machine to be honest!

Reply 9559 of 52940, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd be interested to see the ISA cards, although I'd have no idea what they are. Nice save, shame about the HDD - maybe you should've used a backpack or something like that? 😀 I wish I had the space to store a few vintage desktops, all I can do is stack up laptops.