VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 9560 of 52940, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It actually made it home OK, it just fell off a shelf when I was doing a bit of cleaning 🙁

I'll bring the cards home the week after next (I'm off work for a bit) and get some photos!

Reply 9561 of 52940, by Mr.Scott

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kithylin wrote:
Mr.Scott wrote:

Got one of these today. GFD for slot A.
Now....maybe somebody has some directions as to what the switch combinations are.....preferably in English. The original directions are almost illegible and my German ain't so good. Manufacturer is Madex.

<snip>

Where do you manage to find these? I've been seeking one myself for years. 😢

Chance link to e-bay in Germany. Guy had 2. I tried to get both but somebody got the other one same time as me.
It was total right place at the right time. I've been looking for one for almost a decade.

Reply 9562 of 52940, by Mr.Scott

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
oerk wrote:
Mr.Scott wrote:
Got one of these today. GFD for slot A. Now....maybe somebody has some directions as to what the switch combinations are.....pre […]
Show full quote

Got one of these today. GFD for slot A.
Now....maybe somebody has some directions as to what the switch combinations are.....preferably in English. The original directions are almost illegible and my German ain't so good. Manufacturer is Madex.

OCC.JPG
OCC2.JPG

I could translate the instructions for you.

That would be great. 😀
I'll post up a pic of them.

Reply 9565 of 52940, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AMD Athlon FX-51 (NOS) (2003)
slfvQU.jpg

Aureal SQ2500 (Aureal Vortex 2) PCI (Boxed) (1999)
K9ydjr.jpg
MKhIf6.jpg
QDz5qF.jpg
Rz82CR.jpg
kSww8S.jpg

Gravis UltraSound Plug & Play ISA (NOS) (1995)
8iyE5W.jpg
TLZVU3.jpg
oDHS2u.jpg
INrHtV.jpg

Gravis UltraSound Plug & Play Pro ISA (NOS) (1995)
fJa2J7.jpg
lk3rND.jpg
KZfnPH.jpg
fUReCB.jpg
0ThwOn.jpg
9lXqwd.jpg

IBM-Covox Speech Thing (Boxed) (1992)
VbYkvG.jpg
QzV9M2.jpg
A8JSpg.jpg
CbxOqq.jpg
nM2Tpc.jpg

Metabyte Wicked3D WickedVision H3D Eyewear System (Boxed) + Wicked3D Voodoo2 12MB PCI (1998)
cxVLew.jpg
N3F8bA.jpg
GtQsE4.jpg

Yamaha SW60XG ISA (Boxed) (1995)
BCjVVR.jpg
fql0PS.jpg
eTU4Eo.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 9568 of 52940, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love the name of that "IBM Speech Thing". Has to be one of the laziest names for a product 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 9570 of 52940, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice to see you're back on it, Artex. Getting a bit more sleep now? 😉

I have only ever heard of the Speech Thing so it was nice to see one.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 9572 of 52940, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

great stuff there Artex!!!! The Speech Thing is the winner for me 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9573 of 52940, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Speech Thing name reminds me of "The God Thing" (working title for Star Trek: The motion picture).

Those photos are pretty amusing. First because of the dates 1992/1993. I can't imagine who would still have been buying these things by that point. Also by the extra piece of paper that omits features listed in the manual. I like that they at least take responsibility by offering to fix any potential problems. Now that's the kind of service you don't see much of anymore.

Last edited by Anonymous Coward on 2015-11-08, 11:10. Edited 1 time in total.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9574 of 52940, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A lot of goodies (mostly Voodoo cards, creative sound cards and Matrox cards) is leaving for me today and should arrive on Monday. They're being sent by my friend at the recycling center. Here are some pics - most of the stuff is identified and labeled. Click for bigger pictures!

QHYXyDkh.jpg

cxqIdW2h.jpg

3q1gOirh.jpg

702kwOah.jpg

Can barely wait 😀

Last edited by kanecvr on 2015-11-07, 12:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9575 of 52940, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is a pretty substantial haul. Why is everything sitting on a dirt road though?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9576 of 52940, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They're on a table as far as I can tell. To answer your question, the pictures were taken by said friend - I didn't recieve the cards yet - should get them via courier on monday.

The pictures were taken at his recycling center - on a table by a wall as far as I can tell - not a dirt road 😀

It is a large haul. 6 voodoo 1 cards and 7 voodoo 2 cards, a few matrox cards, a few creative cards (two Vibra 16 ISA and two CT4500 AWE64 are most noticeable). Not pictured are some motherboards - a dual socket 370 motherboard and some socket 7 / slot 1 / socket 3 stuff.

From the pictures below I'm only getting the Dual 370 board, the slot 1 boards, the ATX socket 7 board, two AT socket 7 boards, the MVP3 board (only one with AGP) and some socket 3 boards - I picked only AT and ATX format boards - the proprietary format stuff that requires a special case went in the grinder.

T2BE5eMh.jpg

TiZ4vkhh.jpg

IwqZoxxh.jpg

Reply 9577 of 52940, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:
A lot of goodies (mostly Voodoo cards, creative sound cards and Matrox cards) is leaving for me today and should arrive on Monda […]
Show full quote

A lot of goodies (mostly Voodoo cards, creative sound cards and Matrox cards) is leaving for me today and should arrive on Monday. They're being sent by my friend at the recycling center. Here are some pics - most of the stuff is identified and labeled. Click for bigger pictures!

3q1gOirh.jpg

Can barely wait 😀

I spotted a Tseng Labs ET4000 in there. If you don't have use for it i'll throw some money in your face 🤣

There seems to be also an interesting I/O cache controller in there. Amazing haul

Reply 9578 of 52940, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks all! Definitely one of the better hauls for me recently. I have something special that I'll post later today too! 😎

brassicGamer wrote:

Nice to see you're back on it, Artex. Getting a bit more sleep now? 😉

I have only ever heard of the Speech Thing so it was nice to see one.

Hahah - I was never 'off' it. 😀 On the sleep - absolutely not. My wife and I are basically taking shifts during the night but our little one's schedule is completely opposite of ours. I think she may be nocturnal. 😜 On the Covox front, I've actually never seen one either so I was very interested in this. It's got all the original documentation and some really weird inserts too. Cool stuff!

carlostex wrote:

BTW Artex you need to get that Covox Speech Thing disk imaged and available at VogonsDrivers 😎

Oh yeah - good call. I'll get that done this weekend. I know Hard1K requested a CD image of the disc included with the GUS PnP as well.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 9579 of 52940, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not the GUS PnP, but the SQ2500 ones 😀

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)