Topic actions

Reply 9600 of 52999, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

There are a big selection on broken stuff for 21+ dollars, and all from Ukraine or Bulgaria.
Come on man.... Why sell broken stuff at these prices. I really do not get it. 🙁

To make some easy $$$. I'm afraid to say it, but prices have simply gone up, especially for any "good stuff".

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9601 of 52999, by l.neidlinger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hPsykRx.jpg

Bought these at a local PC shop that has been around forever for a song.

Disk controller is a Promise DC200. Doesn't look like it has ever been installed. Has both 30 pin simm banks populated with, what is most likely, 256K sticks.

Packard Bell is a Multimedia Model PB432A. Can't find any info on it around the web. Boots into the original installation of 3.1 that looks to be nearly untouched. Packard Bell Navigator still tries to take over. Someone replaced the 486 with an AMD am5x86 at 100mhz. CMOS battery has the typical fuzz on it, hasn't spread to the board though. Next step is to tear it down and take out that battery. I plan on replacing with a CR2032.

Reply 9602 of 52999, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:
Artex wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if it's VOGONS that drives the market. 😀

As a matter of fact it does since the top 4 highest bidders on the Ad Lib are members of Vogons 😊

How can you tell? Ebay obscures the bidders identities.

Reply 9603 of 52999, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JidaiGeki wrote:
kanecvr wrote:
A lot of goodies (mostly Voodoo cards, creative sound cards and Matrox cards) is leaving for me today and should arrive on Monda […]
Show full quote

A lot of goodies (mostly Voodoo cards, creative sound cards and Matrox cards) is leaving for me today and should arrive on Monday. They're being sent by my friend at the recycling center. Here are some pics - most of the stuff is identified and labeled. Click for bigger pictures!

QHYXyDkh.jpg

Can barely wait 😀

Nice haul! Looks like you've got a Mac PDS video card in there (top row, 4th along), and the Millenium II has the Rainbow Runner vid capture module - though you'll need the breakout cable IIRC. Great to see so much stuff saved from oblivion, have fun 😎

And Artex ... livin' the dream 🤣

I was looking at the 486 SBC on the middle row, #6. Also the IBM cards just to the lower left. They look token ring, yes?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 9604 of 52999, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got these SD to IDE adapters. Just started testing them, will see how we go 😀

The first one works great in DOS, will test Windows 98 SE next. Haven't tried the second one yet. But SD cards are great, I can get them at the supermarket or post office. CF cards need to be ordered in.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191411967365?_trks … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/351131262531?_trks … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Reply 9605 of 52999, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
JidaiGeki wrote:
kanecvr wrote:
A lot of goodies (mostly Voodoo cards, creative sound cards and Matrox cards) is leaving for me today and should arrive on Monda […]
Show full quote

A lot of goodies (mostly Voodoo cards, creative sound cards and Matrox cards) is leaving for me today and should arrive on Monday. They're being sent by my friend at the recycling center. Here are some pics - most of the stuff is identified and labeled. Click for bigger pictures!

QHYXyDkh.jpg

Can barely wait 😀

Nice haul! Looks like you've got a Mac PDS video card in there (top row, 4th along), and the Millenium II has the Rainbow Runner vid capture module - though you'll need the breakout cable IIRC. Great to see so much stuff saved from oblivion, have fun 😎

I was looking at the 486 SBC on the middle row, #6. Also the IBM cards just to the lower left. They look token ring, yes?

SBC looks interesting - http://www.voxtechnologies.com/SBCs/p-405.htm

The IBM cards (with the blue slot guard things?) have what looks like a DB-15 connector, so probably also vid cards.

Reply 9606 of 52999, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There was an auction with a HUGE lot of Socket-3, Socket-7 and Slot-1 CPUs in good condtion at the local Swedish "Ebay clone" site this morning but I managed to oversleep. They went for ~0.7 euro each so grats to who ever bought them.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2015-11-08, 09:12. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 9607 of 52999, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
l.neidlinger wrote:

Bought these at a local PC shop that has been around forever for a song.

Very nice Packard you got there. The first thing I would do is back up the entire hard drive in case something happens to the original installation files especially if you can't find info on it on the web.

Reply 9608 of 52999, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Yeah.... Can't seem to find any 486 motherboard's (5x86 compatible) anywhere, other than the usual expensive 140+ Dollar ebay it […]
Show full quote

Yeah.... Can't seem to find any 486 motherboard's (5x86 compatible) anywhere, other than the usual expensive 140+ Dollar ebay items.
There are a big selection on broken stuff for 21+ dollars, and all from Ukraine or Bulgaria.
Come on man.... Why sell broken stuff at these prices. I really do not get it. 🙁

Been setting up add's on various places, asking people to look in their closet's, asking friends and stuff.
All I can find is a couple of complete olivetti systems that have broken keyboard port's. Broken as in not working at all.
They ask like 70 to 100 dollars excluding shipping. Wich is nut's.... Again... Those who think that all broken stuff is a goldmine.
When it's age surpases like 20 to 25 years. They must have swallowed some bad stuff.

I don't bother with broken stuff. If it doesn't work and I can't fix it it goes back to the recycling center. Prices are insane tough. I was looking up a V5 5500 again last night and was disappointing to see them costing anything from 150 to 450$. That's a lot of dosh... retro stuff is getting more and more expensive..

Have you tried AmiBay? You can usually find cheaper stuff there. If not, I coud sell you my FIC 486-VLB-IO for a decent price. Not the fastest board on the block but it does take 586 chips, it does decent overclocking and I don't need use it anymore since I got a ALi based Biostar.

JidaiGeki wrote:

I was wondering what that wired thing was 😀

luckybob wrote:

Unfortunately it's not complete. The graphics part is missing. It's supposed to have another board on top.

JidaiGeki wrote:

SBC looks interesting - http://www.voxtechnologies.com/SBCs/p-405.htm

The IBM cards (with the blue slot guard things?) have what looks like a DB-15 connector, so probably also vid cards.

- not 100% sure they're video cards since both came from the same machine (at least that's what I was told). I can't see any memory modules on them, and the connector might be a DB-9...

Last edited by kanecvr on 2015-11-08, 10:01. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 9609 of 52999, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:
brostenen wrote:
Yeah.... Can't seem to find any 486 motherboard's (5x86 compatible) anywhere, other than the usual expensive 140+ Dollar ebay it […]
Show full quote

Yeah.... Can't seem to find any 486 motherboard's (5x86 compatible) anywhere, other than the usual expensive 140+ Dollar ebay items.

Been setting up add's on various places, asking people to look in their closet's, asking friends and stuff.
All I can find is a couple of complete olivetti systems that have broken keyboard port's. Broken as in not working at all.
They ask like 70 to 100 dollars excluding shipping. Wich is nut's.... Again... Those who think that all broken stuff is a goldmine.
When it's age surpases like 20 to 25 years. They must have swallowed some bad stuff.

I don't bother with broken stuff. If it doesn't work and I can't fix it it goes back to the recycling center. Prices are insane tough. I was looking up a V5 5500 again last night and was disappointing to see them costing anything from 150 to 450$. That's a lot of dosh... retro stuff is getting more and more expensive..

Buy a working board from Ukraine or Russia, the shipping cost is often $20 - $30 but at least in Sweden stuff from Russia or Ukraine always slips through the customs net.

The price for a good "tested to BIOS" board from Ukraine is normally $25 and often you can see in the pictures that the board has also been tested with some benching utilitys.

This board and CPU bundle seems OK. No pictures of the BIOS or such but I have bought from this seller and the Lucky Star LS486E is one of the better late 486 boards.

Edit Or perhaps not, the board linked has a broken memory slot, But perhaps a low offer could be an idea.
Or you can browse this sellers other auctions, he usally has lots of boards.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-486-motherb … cUAAOSwgQ9VlvDa

This board looks nice but I guess its not very fast 😀

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-486-motherb … OwAAOSwAYtWKRxV

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 9610 of 52999, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

How can you tell? Ebay obscures the bidders identities.

You pay attention to this thread and the auctions on eBay, check the biddings page and eventually you' can figure it out with a high degree of accuracy.

@Artex

I wish i could grab your opened AdLib box. Selling it could probably cover for a big part of the cost of your new one and if you are incredibly lucky maybe it can cover for it all!

Reply 9611 of 52999, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
philscomputerlab wrote:

To make some easy $$$. I'm afraid to say it, but prices have simply gone up, especially for any "good stuff".

Yeah... That is really the bad thing about this. As well as someone else wrote, I really suspect some sellers looking around on Vogons, and thus fueling the prices on every other things sold on eBay. Really a shame if this is the hard and cold fact.

- Some are into this, because they love to game old games and have a (as many others) fetish for pc's in general.
- And then there are those who get into this because it's just "hip".
- Other's are into this because of what we grew up on. A more personal angle of aproach I guess.
- And then there are those, who just love old hardware with BIG chips on it, and stuff you manually control (non-pnp)

I guess I am just one of those that loves old hardware, because I grew up on it and because I have this wierd
"fetish" for big hardware. Guess I am in between and included the last to things/lines I listed.
I like the smell of old hardware too, stuff like the Amiga wich had a funny and distinct smell when they were used for more than half an hour.
My old Pentium 1's have another, yet distinct smell of their own. Guess it's the bad chemicals in them, and heavy metal such as mercury.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9612 of 52999, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:
Buy a working board from Ukraine or Russia, the shipping cost is often $20 - $30 but at least in Sweden stuff from Russia or Ukr […]
Show full quote

Buy a working board from Ukraine or Russia, the shipping cost is often $20 - $30 but at least in Sweden stuff from Russia or Ukraine always slips through the customs net.

The price for a good "tested to BIOS" board from Ukraine is normally $25 and often you can see in the pictures that the board has also been tested with some benching utilitys.

This board and CPU bundle seems OK. No pictures of the BIOS or such but I have bought from this seller and the Lucky Star LS486E is one of the better late 486 boards.

Edit Or perhaps not, the board linked has a broken memory slot, But perhaps a low offer could be an idea.
Or you can browse this sellers other auctions, he usally has lots of boards.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-486-motherb … cUAAOSwgQ9VlvDa

This board looks nice but I guess its not very fast 😀

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-486-motherb … OwAAOSwAYtWKRxV

How do you find this on ebay? I don't get this when I normally log in and search.
Ebay is a bitch.... 🙁 It won't slip through the custom in Denmark, when from these countries.
It is because they are really tough on illegal stuff like drugs and weapons and pirated goods like fake gucci bags and such.
Croatia is out of the question though. I tried purchase an ATX shield, and for some reason the bank (or someone else)
have blocked me from using my credit-card when paying for stuff from that country. Really strange.

Last edited by brostenen on 2015-11-08, 11:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9613 of 52999, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:

Have you tried AmiBay? You can usually find cheaper stuff there. If not, I coud sell you my FIC 486-VLB-IO for a decent price. Not the fastest board on the block but it does take 586 chips, it does decent overclocking and I don't need use it anymore since I got a ALi based Biostar.

I will. Though it requires that I have sold the old Athlon socket A machine that I have put up for sale.
The reason for this is, that yes, I do find stuff yet it is allways sold whenever I have the money for it.
Just a question on timing I guess, when dealing with amibay.
Amibay-searching will have to wait untill I actually have the money for it.

Reply 9614 of 52999, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might just have to cut your losses. Look at stuff that is cheap right now. Pentium 4, Core 2 Duo. I know you'll say "that doesn't interest me, it's not retro", but that's exactly what people thought about 386 / 486 / Pentium gear. Got to get in before it becomes hot commodity 😀

Reply 9615 of 52999, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
philscomputerlab wrote:

Might just have to cut your losses. Look at stuff that is cheap right now. Pentium 4, Core 2 Duo. I know you'll say "that doesn't interest me, it's not retro", but that's exactly what people thought about 386 / 486 / Pentium gear. Got to get in before it becomes hot commodity 😀

I am not going to back down on my search for a working 5x86 compatible board. 🤣
If it takes me one year, I will eventually find one. 😉
I have all the hardware for it, even the 5x86 CPU, so the search is really on for the motherboard.

The reason for this, is that I have this mission on having working machines that actually span the entire 90's.
I have (so far) P1, P2, P3, K6, K6-II and a K6-III (non +) systems. All in assembled and working machines.

Reply 9616 of 52999, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice. In that case, just save up some cash and buy what you want. The only way prices are going is up.

I had a look in my eBay history, it goes back to 2013. I got my Biostar 486 board from the US, cost me USD 60, back then a hefty price, but I wanted the board and these days I could easily sell it for much more.

I got a few 386 and Super Socket 7 boards from amoretro a few years back. A bulk purchase. Look at the prices he's selling at today, must have doubled or tripled.

Today I bought 3 graphics cards for USD 170, a LOT of money, but I really wanted them, not just for my Windows 98 benchmarking program. But I also know that in a few years these cards will sell for much more, like everything else. The seller is top notch, got a lot of things from him previously. I rather give a good seller more money then cheap out and risk a dud. There was another seller, haven't bought from him before, he had a few cards but wasn't willing to combine shipping or "do a deal", and I would have spend likely even more than USD 170.

So what I'm saying is, don't wait too long in a rising market...

Reply 9617 of 52999, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:
I am not going to back down on my search for a working 5x86 compatible board. :lol: If it takes me one year, I will eventually f […]
Show full quote
philscomputerlab wrote:

I am not going to back down on my search for a working 5x86 compatible board. 🤣
If it takes me one year, I will eventually find one. 😉
I have all the hardware for it, even the 5x86 CPU, so the search is really on for the motherboard.

I have quite a few 5x86 compatible 486 motherboards. Compatible with both the Cyrix and AMD 5x86's. I have them stashed in Portugal so if you are patient i can get one and you can get it over amibay. If you want to go for a trade even better since there's some stuff i'm looking for as well.

Reply 9618 of 52999, by l.neidlinger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:
Got these SD to IDE adapters. Just started testing them, will see how we go :) […]
Show full quote

Got these SD to IDE adapters. Just started testing them, will see how we go 😀

The first one works great in DOS, will test Windows 98 SE next. Haven't tried the second one yet. But SD cards are great, I can get them at the supermarket or post office. CF cards need to be ordered in.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191411967365?_trks … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/351131262531?_trks … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'll be curious about how well that works. I started using IDE - CF card in a lot of my old machines after the hard drives started dropping like flies.

Reply 9619 of 52999, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:
Show full quote

QHYXyDkh.jpg

cxqIdW2h.jpg

3q1gOirh.jpg

702kwOah.jpg

Can barely wait 😀

Awesomme haul.... Just amazing to see so many cards.
Hope they work.