VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 9700 of 52766, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's actually a great question. They were included in a lot with the socket 5 motherboard and the sound blasters. I don't really have any use for them myself. I believe they are HM systems socket 5 boards the 386 board I don't know.

Reply 9701 of 52766, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Matth79 wrote:

Plextor PX716UF from charity shop (they have some odd things).
Been wanting a Plexy for some time, as they are the business for disc testing.

I've been looking for one for a while because they're the only ones you can burn CD+Gs with. Karaoke baby!!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 9702 of 52766, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More like "Backups" for various consoles, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh?

Actually not sure any of the games for such systems were on CD+G, though I suspect one of the strange exclusives for the Wondermega MKII might have been on a CD+G.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 9703 of 52766, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yet another $2 item that used to be weed-common in the thrifts, but haven't seen for some time now.

dataswitch1.jpg
Filename
dataswitch1.jpg
File size
131.43 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
dataswitch2.jpg
Filename
dataswitch2.jpg
File size
198.32 KiB
Views
File license
dataswitch3.jpg
Filename
dataswitch3.jpg
File size
135.81 KiB
Views
File license
dataswitch4.jpg
Filename
dataswitch4.jpg
File size
111.53 KiB
Views
File license

Lovely box construction otherwise more associated with the 60s. For less than the cost of the knob at Digikey.

Reply 9704 of 52766, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

More like "Backups" for various consoles, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh?

Actually not sure any of the games for such systems were on CD+G, though I suspect one of the strange exclusives for the Wondermega MKII might have been on a CD+G.

Well I can use standard but overburned CDs for my Dreamcast. So I've read...

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 9705 of 52766, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dreamcast was GDROM I think, so you'd have no choice unless you were exceptionally lucky. I certainly had no problem running backups or homebrew from regular CD-ROMs on mine anyway.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 9709 of 52766, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, to celebrate page 486 I turned on my 486 I had stored and am now tinkering with it (new 512MB CF card for my XT arived, so I'm setting up the 2GB card back into it)

Reply 9710 of 52766, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gotta be on page 486! 😁

Got a nice looking PowerBook 1400cs with original charger at the flea market for a song, unfortunately the screen looks like this
lcdrota.jpg?w=800
so I shall be on the lookout for a replacement LCD, found one on eBay but shipping to my country is more than twice the cost of the item so that's out of the question, hopefully I can get something local or at reasonable shipping costs.

Amusingly, I rummaged through my spare notebook parts and found a 640x480 DSTN LCD with the same connector. The PB's is 800x600 so it shouldn't work but I plugged it in anyway - turns out it sorta works, the extra pixels are simply lost, and being a dual-scan display, both halves get cropped individually resulting in an interesting pattern of only being able to see a 640x240 window of each 800x300 logical display, so not only you lose pixels on the right and down, but a good chunk in the middle as well. Classic Mac OS is so keyboard-unfriendly it's a real challenge to use. 😜

dstn1.jpg?w=800

dstn2.jpg?w=800

Kinda neat I must say, and nice to know that you can get useful results out of not-quite correct parts for testing purposes. Shame that being a Mac you can't use workarounds like lowering the video resolution to make it usable.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 9712 of 52766, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up a compaq deskpro 286 and a compaq deskpro 386s, with their keyboards, and screens.
Will know the full spec on opening...
The 386 even have original documentation !

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 9713 of 52766, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sunaiac wrote:

Picked up a compaq deskpro 286 and a compaq deskpro 386s, with their keyboards, and screens.

Excellent find... and welcome to the Deskpro club! 😁

Where did you find such excellent machines (locally or ebay)? Are they both ISA or does the 386 have EISA?

We'll need some pictures when you can.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 9714 of 52766, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386_junkie wrote:
Excellent find... and welcome to the Deskpro club! :D […]
Show full quote
sunaiac wrote:

Excellent find... and welcome to the Deskpro club! 😁

Where did you find such excellent machines (locally or ebay)? Are they both ISA or does the 386 have EISA?

We'll need some pictures when you can.

Hi 😀 Thank you 😁

Someone wrote on a french forum : pickup or trashed !
It was only ... 450km from me ... erf.
anyway, I can't be much more specific right now.
The 286 has a black front face, a monochroe 12inch screen.
The 386 is probably a SX version (386s).
I'll try to open them and clean them this week end, and take pictures 😀

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 9715 of 52766, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're a Compaq hero!

If I had the space... I would save every 2-3/86 Deskpro anyone thought about trashing.

I have two and a half Deskpro's. 😁 The 386S however... really is a fantastic machine, the thing is a tank!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 9716 of 52766, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not much, but today I got two unused PS/2 ball mouses by Logitech, 4 euros each.

20151117_204010_zpslhqjtvxl.jpg

Last edited by Ariakos on 2015-11-23, 16:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9717 of 52766, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HighTreason wrote:

Dreamcast was GDROM I think, so you'd have no choice unless you were exceptionally lucky. I certainly had no problem running backups or homebrew from regular CD-ROMs on mine anyway.

I did that using just a normal burner, for backups, on the DC I had back in the day's.
Just normal cd's. Nothing that hard or difficult for that matter, really.
Only make shure that the DC are labeled (0) and (1) on the back. (2) won't cut it.

For backing up a game, you could get one of those cable's to connect the DC to a Pc.
Or get a hold on one of the GD-Drives from a Sega NAOMI.
Wich I believe is a SCSI drive.

Finally. Make shure that backing up a game, is (and I can't keep on stressing this too much) LEGAL in you'r country.
What software you need to find and use, is up to you to find out.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9718 of 52766, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even if backing up a game isn't technically legal in your country, I don't see the point in checking. No one is going to get in trouble for backing up a few Dreamcast games in the real world...

Reply 9719 of 52766, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought a computer at a thrift store the other day.

There were several, but I picked this one as I saw it had RDRAM slots (with memory modules) and a PSU that wasn't too flimsy looking.

I was hoping for another s423 board, but I made a mistake as the board turned out to be an ASUS P4T-E, which is s478, first one I ever seen in the flesh with RDRAM slots.
All caps look fine, which isn't a guarantee though that they are but at least there isn't any cap leaking stuff on the PCB 😀

The rest of the hardware wasn't too interesting though.

Some AGP Matrox card (something G55 with I believe 32MB), a cheap-looking sound card and a simple NIC and some kind of ASUS mini-PCB which is fitted onto the bottom-most expansion bracket on the back of the case.
The HDD was still there (usually they are removed), but it's only a 40gig WD Caviar-something, but then again all harddrives are welcome afaic.
The usual stuff, a few optical drives, nothing too interesting.

I knew the PSU wasn't FSP of a particularly good brand, but I suspected it wasn't a crappy one either. Turned out to be a CWT or something.
I remember having another PSU made by CWT which I got many years ago and I remember it worked fine (can't remember what I used it for though, but at least it looked more solid then the El Cheapo air-filled ones, the CWT looked more like an FSP unit).

All 4 RDRAM slots are filled, but all modules are single sided. I haven't checked the module sizes but that's not really that important as I already have way more good-sized RDRAM modules then I have boards to put them in 🤣

And of course it has a floppy drive.
The case is a standard beige one similar to the ones that used to sell into the millions of numbers and has an ok 8cm fan opening thingy in the back. It seems to be reusable, but I'm already very well stocked on computer cases and sooner then later it will be my turn to see if I can get rid of some of the stuff I have.

I don't have a working camera anymore so no pics 🙁 and I haven't taken apart this system yet so I don't know the remaining part numbers.

I'd say this mini-haul was better then my previous one a couple months ago (many parts were either missing/incomplete, leaking caps, non-interesting parts (like GF2MX and Sempron 2400+ sA and double sided 512MB DDR-333 I think?).

Also bought a 486 HSF for only €1,50, the type that latches directly onto the CPU with 4 hooky things 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!