Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 10161 of 52822, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rein_ein wrote:
Got this beaty today,comes with 733 Coppermine P3 http://i.imgur.com/pvg9ZgRl.jpg […]
Show full quote

Got this beaty today,comes with 733 Coppermine P3
pvg9ZgRl.jpg

I have that exact motherboard myself. Really nice for a compact retro rig. I put mine in one of these http://images10.okr.ro/auctions.v3/700_700/20 … 249-700_700.jpg - Delux M198 SFX Micro ATX chassis.

Reply 10162 of 52822, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:
rein_ein wrote:
Got this beaty today,comes with 733 Coppermine P3 http://i.imgur.com/pvg9ZgRl.jpg […]
Show full quote

pvg9ZgRl.jpg

I have that exact motherboard myself. Really nice for a compact retro rig. I put mine in one of these http://images10.okr.ro/auctions.v3/700_700/20 … 249-700_700.jpg - Delux M198 SFX Micro ATX chassis.

Nice case,first of all i'm planning to find 1ghz Coppermine,alrady have mini-tower no-name case for that 😀

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 10163 of 52822, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rein_ein wrote:
Got this beaty today,comes with 733 Coppermine P3 http://i.imgur.com/pvg9ZgRl.jpg Second one is Abit GF3Ti200 http://i.imgur.com […]
Show full quote

pvg9ZgRl.jpg
Second one is Abit GF3Ti200
EWIjzlcl.jpg
Probably gonna use both in future '98 setup

That board looks really cute!

Only grip I can see is the position of the PS connector above the CPU socket which looks like it will be between the CPU socket and the PSU once mounted inside a case.

And the stock Intel HSF is well suited for Super 7 which have motherboard components preventing installation of a larger HSF (perhaps replace the fan though as some of those Intel ones weren't exactly a pleasure to be hearing all the time).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10164 of 52822, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

That board looks really cute!

Only grip I can see is the position of the PS connector above the CPU socket which looks like it will be between the CPU socket and the PSU once mounted inside a case.

And the stock Intel HSF is well suited for Super 7 which have motherboard components preventing installation of a larger HSF (perhaps replace the fan though as some of those Intel ones weren't exactly a pleasure to be hearing all the time).

Yeah that's really annoying. It won't let you use a big quiet socket a cooler. Even if you use a small noisy cooler the ATX connector touches it and is a pain in the ass to remove w/o removing the cooler first.

Reply 10166 of 52822, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

that WDC vga is a fast one , nice catch!
It has some interesting utils that let you chose mda/cga/ega modes , it reboots your pc and the card acts according to your choice.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10167 of 52822, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

that WDC vga is a fast one , nice catch!
It has some interesting utils that let you chose mda/cga/ega modes , it reboots your pc and the card acts according to your choice.

Thanks Leo!

I'm aware of the paradise card utilities i've been experimenting all kinds of vga cards for an XT.

Reply 10168 of 52822, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

P4 1.8A (Northwood core). Sorry for the lower photo quality, these things are not very camera-friendly 🤣
p4a7s3i.jpg

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 10169 of 52822, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought some new memory in December but I diddnt open the package until now. 😀

I have also bought alot of Socket-3 and Socket-7 CPUs with bent pins over the last year but diddnt bother to fix them all until now.

The new memory.

Some new memory.JPG
Filename
Some new memory.JPG
File size
4.38 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The "new" Socket-7 CPUs. (80% is from the last year, besides these I have perhaps 10 more Socket-7 CPUs).

Some_socket7_cpus.JPG
Filename
Some_socket7_cpus.JPG
File size
4.4 MiB
Views
File license

The "new" Socket-3 CPUs. (All except one are from the last year, besides these I have perhaps 10 more Socket-3 CPUs).

Some_socket3_cpus.JPG
Filename
Some_socket3_cpus.JPG
File size
4.4 MiB
Views
File license

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 10170 of 52822, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:

Got these today:

Very nice that Speedstar 24X. I have one too, it's my fastest ISA card, tied with my ET4000 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10171 of 52822, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
carlostex wrote:

Got these today:

Very nice that Speedstar 24X. I have one too, it's my fastest ISA card, tied with my ET4000 😀

Bought one in the beginning of December and still haven't received it 😢

I hope it arrived today as I got a message from the Post that a few packages are waiting for me 😁

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 10172 of 52822, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:
I bought some new memory in December but I diddnt open the package until now. :) […]
Show full quote

I have also bought alot of Socket-3 and Socket-7 CPUs with bent pins over the last year but diddnt bother to fix them all until now.

The new memory.

Some new memory.JPG

The "new" Socket-7 CPUs. (80% is from the last year, besides these I have perhaps 10 more Socket-7 CPUs).

Some_socket7_cpus.JPG

The "new" Socket-3 CPUs. (All except one are from the last year, besides these I have perhaps 10 more Socket-3 CPUs).

Some_socket3_cpus.JPG

That's an awesome haul, cheers! 😁

I couldn't spot any 16MB 30p SIMMs though, but you do seem to have at least 3 72p SIMMs with at least 16MB RAM (32 of the other side is populated also).
The fastest way to distinguish the 4MB (8MB if double sided) and 16MB (32MB if double sided) is by counting one row of legs on one of the chips (this trick works for the SIMMs which have 8 chips all of the same size and were very common back in the day), if a SIMM has 2x5 legs, 8 chips make 4MB and if the same SIMM has 2x6 legs, 8 chips give you 16MB.

I didn't spot any particularly rare CPU though (mind you, I'm not an expert here 😜) but the It's ST DX4-100 is nice to have.
3 K6-III+'s along with a bunch of K6-2's.

You should check your Pentiums to see which ones have the imfamous FDIV bug 😜 (theres a list of all Intel part numbers which have this bug. Alas, none of my Socket 5 Pentiums seemed to be affected, but one of my Socket 4 chips is 😁)

Is your chip with "i50" engraved on the bottom (the right most chip with heatsink attached on your Socket 3 CPU pic) a DX or a DX2? I kinda forgot how these were exactly marked.

Report spammers here!

Reply 10173 of 52822, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
That's an awesome haul, cheers! :D […]
Show full quote
Skyscraper wrote:
I bought some new memory in December but I diddnt open the package until now. :) […]
Show full quote

The new memory.

Some new memory.JPG

Some_socket7_cpus.JPG

Some_socket3_cpus.JPG

That's an awesome haul, cheers! 😁

I couldn't spot any 16MB 30p SIMMs though, but you do seem to have at least 3 72p SIMMs with at least 16MB RAM (32 of the other side is populated also).
The fastest way to distinguish the 4MB (8MB if double sided) and 16MB (32MB if double sided) is by counting one row of legs on one of the chips (this trick works for the SIMMs which have 8 chips all of the same size and were very common back in the day), if a SIMM has 2x5 legs, 8 chips make 4MB and if the same SIMM has 2x6 legs, 8 chips give you 16MB.

I didn't spot any particularly rare CPU though (mind you, I'm not an expert here 😜) but the It's ST DX4-100 is nice to have.
3 K6-III+'s along with a bunch of K6-2's.

You should check your Pentiums to see which ones have the imfamous FDIV bug 😜 (theres a list of all Intel part numbers which have this bug. Alas, none of my Socket 5 Pentiums seemed to be affected, but one of my Socket 4 chips is 😁)

Is your chip with "i50" engraved on the bottom (the right most chip with heatsink attached on your Socket 3 CPU pic) a DX or a DX2? I kinda forgot how these were exactly marked.

Thanks, fixing the pins sucked though.

The lion's share of the memory are small FPM modules with or without parity but there are some larger EDO modules aswell.

There are exactly 0 rare CPUs pictured because I do not own any rare Socket-7 or Socket-3 ones. 😁

The CPUs with i50 engraved are DX2-50 CPUs and the ones with i66 engraved are dx2-66 ones. The marking was made to detect fakes.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 10174 of 52822, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:
Thanks, fixing the pins sucked though. […]
Show full quote

Thanks, fixing the pins sucked though.

The lion's share of the memory are small FPM modules with or without parity but there are some larger EDO modules aswell.

There are exactly 0 rare CPUs pictured because I do not own any rare Socket-7 or Socket-3 ones. 😁

The CPUs with i50 engraved are DX2-50 CPUs and the ones with i66 engraved are dx2-66 ones. The marking was made to detect fakes.

About the straightening out of CPU pins, theres always the universal pin corrector method 😁
When using the UPC, be careful not to put too much force on the part of the pin that's very close to the CPU or you increase the risk that it will break (hard to explain), but this method sure beats using fingernails 😜

This method is less effective though for pins on CPUs like s370 Coppermines and beyond (Pentium MMX and the black s370 Celeron should be fine though), I found those pins to be very brittle compared to the ones used on ceramic CPUs like the original Pentium.

Report spammers here!

Reply 10176 of 52822, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to use a credit card to align back the pines of CPUs from classic Pentiums to AM2 Athlons, by inserting it through the rows of pines till it reaches the other side (it means, no more bent pines there!). The ones that are seriously bent, I push them back into position by using the same card or the well-known mechanical pencil method 🤣.

EDIT: http://pad3.whstatic.com/images/thumb/e/e5/Fi … -CPU-Step-4.jpg 🤣

Reply 10177 of 52822, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got this off eBay last year and it arrived today 😀

jNQXAc6l.jpg

This is fairly new gear, but I have nothing that is SLI compatible. My only SLI experience is with 3dfx Voodoo 2 cards.

Let me tell you, I never had such a high end board. I always go for very basic and cheap uATX boards, so this was really treating myself 😀

This board is fully XP compatible and supports SLI as well as CrossFire. FX8350 CPU, but I can use my other AM3+ processor as well. And four 4 GB sticks of RAM.

I plan on playing around with SLI, always makes for a good video. Like 7900 GTX SLI for Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow?

YouTube, Facebook, Website