Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 10380 of 53082, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hard1k wrote:

I've shown this thread to my wife, and she asked to send you her greetings - she spent 3 years working in the Russian Embassy in Denmark, she really loves your country 😀

Thanks. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10381 of 53082, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hard1k wrote:

Well, our commerce can do nothing against the state prohibition of imports. Sad but true. All French and Dutch cheese as well as Polish fruits and other foodstuffs have been replaced with imports from Serbia, Argentina and other countries. They are great too, but in my opinion the French and the Dutch do know how to make cheese...

Well... You find at least one mad man in each states around the world, so yeah, I tend to think of embargoes as a kind of "punishment" for ordinaery sitizens. Only because of those unfair madmen's giant ego's. Here in Denmark we can not get Whool clothes from Cuba, just because of what happened back in the 1960's. Cuba makes some of the best whool in the world. (better than Island) Cuban coffee on the other hand.
I can do without, as it tastes like, really bad. (it's because of the "wrong" climate for growing coffee)

State prohibition on the other hand, that just belongs way back in the history if you ask me. Equally as damaging as embargoes. For me, prohibition on food items and clothes belongs in those times of Isolation politics (USA in the 1920's/1940's) and in times of Stalinism and such. Equally as bad as embargoes and just another symptom of state people with giant ego's that can not understand that they are to blame. Yeah... Don't understand why the ordinaery people have to suffer because of giant ego's. It is after all the top people in a society that makes all the trouble, and not the ordinaery man.

Vogons is after all. Truely a sign of we, the ordinaery people, can get along all right across borders in the world.

Reply 10382 of 53082, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:
Well... You find at least one mad man in each states around the world, so yeah, I tend to think of embargoes as a kind of "punis […]
Show full quote
hard1k wrote:

Well, our commerce can do nothing against the state prohibition of imports. Sad but true. All French and Dutch cheese as well as Polish fruits and other foodstuffs have been replaced with imports from Serbia, Argentina and other countries. They are great too, but in my opinion the French and the Dutch do know how to make cheese...

Well... You find at least one mad man in each states around the world, so yeah, I tend to think of embargoes as a kind of "punishment" for ordinaery sitizens. Only because of those unfair madmen's giant ego's. Here in Denmark we can not get Whool clothes from Cuba, just because of what happened back in the 1960's. Cuba makes some of the best whool in the world. (better than Island) Cuban coffee on the other hand.
I can do without, as it tastes like, really bad. (it's because of the "wrong" climate for growing coffee)

State prohibition on the other hand, that just belongs way back in the history if you ask me. Equally as damaging as embargoes. For me, prohibition on food items and clothes belongs in those times of Isolation politics (USA in the 1920's/1940's) and in times of Stalinism and such. Equally as bad as embargoes and just another symptom of state people with giant ego's that can not understand that they are to blame. Yeah... Don't understand why the ordinaery people have to suffer because of giant ego's. It is after all the top people in a society that makes all the trouble, and not the ordinaery man.

Vogons is after all. Truely a sign of we, the ordinaery people, can get along all right across borders in the world.

Amen!

I really couldn't care less where someone is from and I'm glad this forum is more about people and less about politics.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10383 of 53082, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It always pleases me immensely to see that a forum has traffic not just from nations that are so-called "allies" but also those that differ ideologically, as well as even seeing effort from people to write in the forum's adopted language just so that they can contribute. Russians, Japanese, Koreans, Chinese, etc. - we've built an international community here, having heard from almost all continents (lookin' at you Antarctica)- you all have my thanks. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 10384 of 53082, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

having heard from almost all continents (lookin' at you Antarctica)- you all have my thanks. 😀

There are no permanent human residents there so I don't think Antarctica counts.
Everyone there is 'from' another continent and that other continent is where they would say they are from.
~ So you already have everybody.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2016-01-22, 16:52. Edited 1 time in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 10385 of 53082, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Group hug :')

Not you PCBONEZ, you're a party pooper.

PS: Just kidding 😉
PS2: Right, also got a no-brand Pentium 120MHz PC this week 😁 Seems to be in very good condition (just to keep on topic).

Reply 10386 of 53082, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devius wrote:

Well, I do have gas so don't hug too hard.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 10387 of 53082, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:
devius wrote:

Well, I do have gas so don't hug too hard.

Not a good idea to eat all that cabbage mixed with prunes.... 🤣

Reply 10388 of 53082, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you dont mind i'll bring on pics of stuff i got today 🤣
First one - Asus based Riva 128
gy0shzDl.jpg
Second one Ati Mach64
cJMqHbjl.jpg
And last one,not sure about brand but for sure it Vortex 1 and it works 🤣
IazX6Qpl.jpg

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 10389 of 53082, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rein_ein wrote:
If you dont mind i'll bring on pics of stuff i got today :lol: First one - Asus based Riva 128 Second one Ati Mach64 And last o […]
Show full quote

If you dont mind i'll bring on pics of stuff i got today 🤣
First one - Asus based Riva 128
Second one Ati Mach64
And last one,not sure about brand but for sure it Vortex 1 and it works 🤣

Nice find! (Re: Vortex 1). What O/S are you planning to use it with?

Reply 10390 of 53082, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If all goes well, this will be heading my way shortly;

KINGSTON.png
Filename
KINGSTON.png
File size
1.27 MiB
Views
File comment
Kingston SX Now upgrade
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hoping it will fit into my Zenith, but it probably won't. If that is the case, it will be fun to try it out in my desktop 286 machine instead. Assuming it works it could be interesting to see how well my very slow 286 board copes with running a much faster CPU, I do wonder if it will affect the way in which any of the other hardware operates.

If it works I may be able to get it to run on the board's clock as opposed to its own (some sources claim it will if I don't use the utility program) and without cache. This would mean I can effectively run the kind of tests Ekb recently attempted but on the exact same motherboard, eliminating any skew that different motherboards might have produced.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 10391 of 53082, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:
If all goes well, this will be heading my way shortly; […]
Show full quote

If all goes well, this will be heading my way shortly;

KINGSTON.png

Hoping it will fit into my Zenith, but it probably won't. If that is the case, it will be fun to try it out in my desktop 286 machine instead. Assuming it works it could be interesting to see how well my very slow 286 board copes with running a much faster CPU, I do wonder if it will affect the way in which any of the other hardware operates.

If it works I may be able to get it to run on the board's clock as opposed to its own (some sources claim it will if I don't use the utility program) and without cache. This would mean I can effectively run the kind of tests Ekb recently attempted but on the exact same motherboard, eliminating any skew that different motherboards might have produced.

An interesting review on that. Looks like compatibility is limited though.
https://books.google.co.za/books?id=fpQP3e54P … %201991&f=false

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 10392 of 53082, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed, but that won't stop me trying and it's a cool piece of kit to own. It wasn't prohibitively expensive so I figured I'd take the risk, if I can't get it to work then, well, I planned on getting a PS/2 somewhere down the line and now I know what model to get - plus it would then be likely to help me sell the PS/2 again when I was done playing around with it.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 10393 of 53082, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:
In Soviet Russia, postal boxes bring your child home! […]
Show full quote

In Soviet Russia, postal boxes bring your child home!

Sorry for an offtopic picture, but I just couldn't help but posting it here:
loD0ykg.jpg

By the way, the lower boxes do contain some precious retro goodness received from two fellow Vogoneers, namely a boxed MediaTrix AudioTrix 3D-XG, a loose Media Vision Pro 3D with MV Korg-based MIDI daughterboard, two different boxed Primax GUS-clone cards and a whole kilo of Dutch goat cheese to compensate all the discomfort my beloved wife has to suffer due to my hobby (as you may know, foreign agricultural imports are prohibited as a counter measure to the Western sanctions, but one can still receive some foodstuffs in a foreign postal package if it is intended solely for private use and consumption).
And the upper blue box is empty, but this Saturday it will start its not-so-long journey to another Vogoneer with an ASUS CUSL-2CB Black Pearl in it.

Actually, 2015 has been a great year for my hobby achievements.
Sorry for not posting pictures, I really hope that one day I will find time to document my collection and share it with you.
The greatest acquisitions include (but are not limited to):
- fully functional 3dfx Voodoo 5 6000 AGP 3700A in mint condition (had to travel abroad for Christmas with my wife to test and pick this one up),
- Aureal Vortex 2 SQ3500 Turbo with the DSP daughterboard (a REALLY great gift from the Universe just on the day of my wedding anniversary - woke up at 6 a.m. in the morning for some unknown reason, checked eBay and found this one for $25 offered by some store in California, couldn't believe my eyes and bought that immediately - actually the coolest deal I have ever made in my whole life, have been recalling my emotions every day for 4 months already),
- AdLib Gold 1000 with the Surround Sound module (will be actually using this one for my all-times-favourite title - DUNE),
- boxed Core Dynamics DynaSonix Pro (spent 2 and half years negotiating that one!!!),
- boxed Ensoniq SoundScape Elite,
- complete Quantum3D Mercury system (in addition to a loose Mercury brick I already had and a Q3D AAlchemy system with 2 8164 boards as well as nvSENSOR board),
- boxed Quantum3D Obsidian 2 X-24 with the cooling option,
- Quantum3D Obsidian 100SB-4440 with both SHADES attached,
- Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro MAXX prototype (no longer with me),
- XGI Volari V8 Duo Ultra (no longer with me),
- lots of other cool stuff (3dfx, Quantum3D, Canopus, Turtle Beach, Roland, Yamaha, Gravis, Creative, ASUS, whatsoever)...

So you might imagine the argumentation why we bought a baby carriage with such a HUGE lower compartment for our baby girl 😁 She's been a postgirl every weekend since she was born.

Wow. Where do you have the Voodoo 5 6000 from? Is it a HiNT 3700A ?

Reply 10394 of 53082, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up a CGA card cheap (AU$15) as well as an IBM "store loop" card for an extra $5, which seems like some sort of network controller for point-of-sale devices. Not sure that I'll ever use it but it looked interesting! The seller said the CGA card was from an IBM 5150, can anyone confirm this?

Attachments

• 3.10-loop_ibm-front.jpg
    Filename
    3.10-loop_ibm-front.jpg
    File size
    610.48 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    IBM Store Loop card
    File license
  • 3.8-cga_ibm-front.jpg
    Filename
    3.8-cga_ibm-front.jpg
    File size
    654.46 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    CGA card
    File license

Reply 10396 of 53082, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malvineous wrote:

I picked up a CGA card cheap (AU$15) as well as an IBM "store loop" card for an extra $5, which seems like some sort of network controller for point-of-sale devices. Not sure that I'll ever use it but it looked interesting! The seller said the CGA card was from an IBM 5150, can anyone confirm this?

It looks like a "new" CCA, so from a 5160. Nothing wrong with that though. These aren't perhaps from the same guy that sold me this, which I picked up this morning:
deA0rtBh.jpg
Yzo0R3Hh.jpg

Needs a new Dallas clock chip, otherwise in great condition! Anyone know what these are?
x0PErQth.jpg

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 10397 of 53082, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

iirc there is no dallas chip in these ps/2 systems its actually a large camera battery. yours is missing. goto your local battery store and look for a 223 battery or crp2.

Also those cards are connected to the floppy drive cables, I'm like 95% sure they are adapters to use a "normal" floppy drive inside a ps/2.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10398 of 53082, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

iirc there is no dallas chip in these ps/2 systems its actually a large camera battery. yours is missing. goto your local battery store and look for a 223 battery or crp2.

In this model, it's definitely a Dallas chip, I already removed the dead one.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 10399 of 53082, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It makes me feel old that people are now collecting "retro" computers that are from the same era as the one I used when I first joined VOGONS almost exactly 13 years ago! (Gigabyte GA-6BXC, PII-450, nVidia Riva TNT (Diamond Viper V550 I think), Sound Blaster PCI128 (basically a rebranded Ensoniq card) - but upgraded by the time I joined VOGONS to a PIII-550, nVidia Geforce 2 MX, Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer). I still have that machine in the garage, mainly because I want to keep something around that can read floppy disks (I *still* need to archive my personal floppies, but fortunately archived most of my retail ones around 4-5 years ago).

No retro news here, but I did finally get a new Dell Alienware 17 R3 laptop (Core i7-6820HK, GTX 980M 8GB) to replace my 7-year old Dell XPS M1730 laptop (Core 2 Duo, Geforce 8700M GT SLI) and 6-year old custom Core i7-860 (overclocked to 4.2GHz) + Radeon HD5870 desktop. Now I can play newer games on high settings again for the first time in a few years (not that I play many new ones 😀 ).