VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 10420 of 52820, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recycling which peaked a couple years ago when gold hit $1800 an ounce and copper was high is why recent stuff is going to be hard to find in a decade. The only thing that saved the older stuff is it was in collectors and hoarders collections, but $100 a lb for 486 processors and the $35 a pop for a Pentium Pro meant quite a bit of that stuff was recycled as well.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 10421 of 52820, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

I will never have any interest in post-Athlon machines personally, but I am sure aware of their potential. Undoubtedly a generation after my own would have started out on that hardware and some day the demand for it may be higher. As it was so mass produced though, it may may not be as hard to source as 486/Pentium gear.

I started keeping hold of things when the Pentium was still a relevant processor, people told me I was mental and it would never be anything but trash. Wish I could see those people again so I could laugh right in their fucking face... Then again, I laughed anyway, my argument at the time being the same as it is now; If you find it useful or enjoy messing with it, it's worth having. When a bunch of sad fucks were struggling to run Duke3D on VDMSound and any Google search to try and fix it started leading to this forum with no solution in sight I was still running it just fine on a Slot 1 machine, though I did manage to keep DOS compatibility on all my machines until my Duron died in 2004. Even my friend at the time held on to all of his old machines knowing he would hit compatibility problems later on, and though why on earth he kept some of them was questionable to me I never thought he was dumb for keeping them. Sure, I have no use for a Tandy or an Apple 128, but he obviously did or he wouldn't have been running them on a regular basis.

The Pentium D I am still abusing (from 2005) was the first XP machine I ever had and the first which couldn't run DOS applications on the bare hardware. I have run WFW3.11 from a USB drive for fun though, it is silly fast but has no practical use unless you want to play Ski Free with almost no CPU overhead.

Absolutely, with one caveat; things being mass-produced doesn't necessarily mean that more of them are around in the long term. When things hit the mass-production stage, they become a lot more disposable as they cost less to buy when new and/or replace; and the quality/perception of quality tends to decrease as well. You can already see it in PIII-era prebuilds and laptops - some are still common because they were well-built, and were used for a long time by businesses/schools, whilst others are almost impossible to find because they weren't so successful. Let's not forget that there are plenty of vintage computers and games consoles that are extremely easy to find (and probably will remain so); when was the last time anyone struggled to find an Atari ST, after all? But you try finding one of those rare Pentium M ATX desktop boards these days in good condition; anything using the Transmeta Crusoe CPUs (that aren't thin clients) will generally cost a fair chunk of cash as well, with the occasional exception.

Last edited by Lukeno94 on 2016-01-23, 22:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10422 of 52820, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are plenty of shitty Dell P3 and P4 machines around here still and they are going nowhere fast. It probably helps that many government buildings here made use of them.

Some stuff never gets out for years. Some businesses like the shady one I worked for kept everything in storage and added it to the insurance. They told me the insurance company is pretty vague about this stuff, they state the value of their best computers and then state they own 1200 of them, despite the fact that only around 10 systems were that spec. A room existed in the building with plenty of systems from 286 up to 486 era which were no longer used, but were kept for insurance purposes. A single 286 was still running because their accounting software was stuck on there and it was too time consuming and costly to move it (by hand) to a newer application.

Tetrium wrote:

Personally I find it more intriguing as to why these mods all seemed to behave like this 😜
There has to be some kind of explanation for it?

I mean, obviously some admin put those mods in power, now why would an admin even want to put people in power who misbehave and don't care they destroy 'their' own forum while doing it. How could an admin fall for that? And I mean multiple times if he put several of these mods in charge, that's just stupid 🤣

There were around 5 mods on that board, only two were a problem. The other three were mostly inactive but often attempted to overrule the two problem mods and would call them out on their bullshit when they were online, just a shame they only managed a few active minutes a week. The Admin had not been online for around 4 years, the forum regularly cleared up threads (automatically) once they had been inactive for 14 days so it was impossible to check, but I imagine those moderators were a lot better when they took the post. Perhaps they thought they were now the rightful owners of the forum and decided to have fun only to get mad when met with people smarter than themselves? Perhaps they were beat up a lot in school? Maybe their dad raped them like I secretly hope he did or perhaps their mother used to beat them every day. Who knows. Who cares. I've never seen them again so they either have different names and keep quiet about what happened or else they have disappeared. The internet is full of pieces of shit like them and it always bites them when they realize the internet isn't real and they don't have any power at all in the real world. As for the Admin, he ditched the site and went off to sell windows (as in, the glass kind) or something. I just laugh at people like that anyway, I save getting mad at stuff for the real world and they don't change anything about real life so there is no reason to get mad at them. I very much doubt they would ever do or say anything in real life either, I am quite sure if I ever met those guys in real life I'd make them my bitch and parade them down the road on the end of a leash.

I found it amusing how when the trolling was happening, other people joined in. The other three mods also did nothing to stop it. This was some serious stuff too as the forum allowed HTML so you could potentially jam some nasty ActiveX in a post - we only used it to annoy and not to harm. We also found that it was possible to get simple HTML markup into the topic subtitle to the extent that it was possible to modify the forum colors and such, my friend even figured out how to get this onto to the main forum page somehow and break the layout entirely along with adding a redirect and later a horrible midi (Cloud Cuckoo Land)... I miss the days when forum admins were so naive about this stuff as it allowed many, many hours of entertainment.

I can't really understand the mod I've had issues with here, who knows, the guy obviously has problems socializing with other people and that sucks, but I don't see why I should have to put up with his problems when I have enough of my own to deal with. I won't let up on it until I get an apology either from him and the user involved in the incident, granted this could lead to removal of my posting rights or something but I'd rather that than write it off, it's no loss to me but I think these people should take responsibility for their actions instead of being a pussy. I've been on a lot of forums and three out of many (at least 30 boards I can think of) suggests most mods are good, but like anything there are always a few idiots who have to ruin things.

In part, my clash with those mods is probably partly because I'm an asshole so it is a bad mix, hell, I abuse my mod powers on another board. The difference is, I do it to comic effect such as putting animated bug silhouettes in the "News" ticker or troll the other mod by making his poll say he is a moron. At the same time, I am decent to other forum members - I'm grumpy and I complain about things, but I always try to help and when a real problem strikes I deal with it by contacting the member to suggest they make a change to something, such as remove an offensive remark. I give them a set time and then if they have not acted I make a note of it and fix it myself. I am fairly lenient though. I might add the "moron" mod is useless and has never dealt with a single issue. Nobody has kicked off at me yet, so I must be doing something right though I try to maintain an active trend of being down-voted because the Karma system is stupid.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 10423 of 52820, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ramiro77 wrote:
It was a glorious day yesterday: […]
Show full quote

It was a glorious day yesterday:

2v2il45.jpg

Soyo 6ba+iii, Intel desktop board i815, 17 cpus (from p55c 200 to Pentium iii 933), 56 dimm modules (all sizes, 52 are working perfectly and three are waiting for a good cleaning and test), a msi Geforce MX4000 128mb AGP, a Voodoo 3 16mb agp, a S3 trio 64 2mb, a S3 Virge 2mb, three mpeg/dvd decoders, and a 15" color CRT.

All of this is working. Bought it for 20 dollars. I think the Soyo will make a nice Pentium II rig with the Voodoo 3 (I already have a Pentium III 933 rig) to fill the emptiness while I wait to repair my Pentium MMX motherboard.

It looks like you'll soon need to "upgrade" your memory module storage capacity 😁

PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

This dynamic is very fascinating to me! It's kinda a wave which progresses through hardware technology. Some hardware stays cheap for a longer time (like s754/s939), get it cheap while you can! 😁

Yes it is interesting to watch. I remember how cheap ATX super socket 7 boards went for years ago. I started raving about my time machine and most just suck with building 386 or 486 machines. Not it's very hard to find a nice ATX super socket 7 system.

I remember this as well. Bought a lot of ss7 ATX boards for peanuts years back on ebay. One even was NIB, never used, I was the only bidder!
I got my boards left and right and perhaps people wanted to get rid of ss7 boards as they thought "Ah...Socket 7...trash! Ah here, Slot 1! Sell!". ss7 was around roughly the same time as Slot 1 but obviously Slot 1 was more interesting (faster, more stable/easier to work with, easier to actually find the faster chips, etc) so it seemed everyone wanted to get rid of these boards.

I'm glad I stocked up on ss7 boards when they were cheap, I didn't even try to get all of the ones I could for cheap as they were so common.

I'd suspect s754/s939 will soon stop being very easy to find and will start getting more expensive soon. I'm not sure about s478 though, this might remain cheaper for a bit longer.
LGA775 might start going cheap, especially the ones that don't support Core.

But at some point everybody will know about this 'wave' or whatever one should call it, partially because it always seems to kinda go the same way as before

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

What will be interesting about the next era of retro hardware is that on one hand, yes there is a lot more gear around, however there will also be a lot more people looking for these parts. And lots of stuff has been thrown out too.

True, and there are so many factors. I'd think working AGP GF7s will actually become harder to find as more of them might get troubles with the leadless solder issues and many sellers baking them, so many of those could end up with buyers who can only use them for a short while before they start failing again. Many of the mid-range ones had large passive cooling, but mine would still overheat so quickly that I ended up modding both 7600GSs with 8cm case fans.
GF6800 might prove more durable. I don't really know where to put GF6600, GF6200 seems like it actually has a spot.

I'd think AGP GF MX cards will remain cheap, kinda like the PCI S3 ones (Virge, certain Trio's) and what happened to 3DFX prices still took me by surprise, even though it isn't much of a surprise to me that V3 AGP seem to remain the cheapest ones, perhaps along with V1s (I'm not so sure V1 will remain very cheap though).

But this deserves a thread of it's own really 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10424 of 52820, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Better GF8s may be desirable in the future, if only because they were the card to get for a long time (most laptops with those chips are already dead, of course.) The latter AGP ATI/AMD cards may hold their value to collectors and XP gamers as well. LGA775 boards that support the full range of CPUs (or as close as possible) will be worth having IMO due to their flexibility; anything stuck on P4s will probably be rather less so. Wonder what Socket 423 will do though - fairly impractical for actual usage (given that S370 and S478 systems are more common, easier to work on/get parts for and more capable), but maybe "look how Intel goofed" will be enough.

Reply 10425 of 52820, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:
HighTreason wrote:

When a bunch of sad fucks were struggling to run Duke3D on VDMSound

Ah, the beginning of VOGONS. DosFreak and I should take offense. 🤣

VDMSound is what brought me to VOGONS, as I was an early Win2K adopter. I remember getting frustrated when people would suggest using DOSBox instead, as my computer couldn't handle it!

Reply 10426 of 52820, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For me, I will skip the XP era as such. Win98 and Win7 era seems more apealing to me as such.
That said. I am more of a "last millenia" person. Yeah. Win7 is only because it is the last propper Windows.
I have my retro boxes, yes, and it is only after 2020 that I will stop using Win as a daily driver.

I think that Win has only one single advantage, when looking at new technology for the home user, and
that is as a gaming platform. Special areas, such as retro gaming and othe nieches are going to continue
using Windows. As a ordinaery platform for the average joe. Windows is not "the thing" to have anymore.

So many devices and other systems fill that hole nice and snugg. Yeah... Only using mail? Well... Linux
or android is the way to go when looking at the shiny newest stuff.
Wanting to game hardcore? Yes, you need Windows or one of the modern console.
Wanting to do some hardcore corporate stuff, then yes, Windows is the way to go.

Then what about us. We who are stuck in the 486/dos and Slot1/Win98 era's (and alike), when do we
actually have to give up our hobby because of all the hardware is dead? When? 2030? 2040?
Naaa... My machines are rarely turned on, looking at a whole year. (I skip between hardware that are powered on)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10427 of 52820, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps again due to my age, and despite never liking XP, one of the things I will be doing is building an XP rig in the future, simply due to the fact there are a fair few games I own/would like to own that only run properly on XP (with more modern hardware, at least), or run best on XP.

Reply 10428 of 52820, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

when do we actually have to give up our hobby because of all the hardware is dead? When? 2030? 2040?
Naaa... My machines are rarely turned on, looking at a whole year. (I skip between hardware that are powered on)

You should turn them on once in a while then, to keep the electrolytic capacitors in good shape. 😀

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 10429 of 52820, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
133MHz wrote:

You should turn them on once in a while then, to keep the electrolytic capacitors in good shape. 😀

It's not like there is month's between each power-on. I only use my collection for like 15 to 30 minutes a time.
Hence not being that much powered on over a complete year. Not having them turned on for like 1 day a time.

Reply 10430 of 52820, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By contrast, my machines work long hours. Sometimes they serve a purpose, such as a ray-traced sphere I am introducing to my YouTube graphics which was rendered on a Pentium 60, clocking long hours with the system at full load as I rendered different designs at 1280x720 8-Bit color... I ended up sticking with the first and most simple design, the rotating crystals and such being too distracting.

I put a lot of stuff together you will never see and much of it is very abusive to the old hardware, usually things related to my cartoon which can keep a system busy for days. Especially in situations like animating a character because the backdrop resolutions can be thousands of pixels each way.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 10431 of 52820, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

It looks like you'll soon need to "upgrade" your memory module storage capacity 😁

If I keep finding old hardware like this, I will have to "upgrade" my house because I running out of space 🤣

brostenen wrote:

Nice.... I have one of those Intel boards, just not shure if it is the same i815 Intel board.
They are rock solid and stable. Not the fastest though, just in the middle somewere.

They are rock solid indeed. I have the same chipset in a similar board on my Compaq Deskpro EN. Very solid boards.
Yours supports Tualatin?

Reply 10432 of 52820, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ramiro77 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

If I keep finding old hardware like this, I will have to "upgrade" my house because I running out of space 🤣

Go 3D 😁

And there are a couple threads about exactly that problem! 😁
Here's a few:
How do you store your computer parts?
How do you organise / sort / store all your retro gear?
Lets all share tips of how we organize our collection of retro computer stuff :)
Enjoy 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10433 of 52820, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
Go 3D :D […]
Show full quote
ramiro77 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Go 3D 😁

And there are a couple threads about exactly that problem! 😁
Here's a few:
How do you store your computer parts?
How do you organise / sort / store all your retro gear?
Lets all share tips of how we organize our collection of retro computer stuff :)
Enjoy 😜

Jajajaja I laughed! 🤣
Actually I have space to store things. But I can't store them too well because I'm testing parts and I want to sell some parts on our local market website. But this is getting worst every week. Now I found an electronics disposal center and I'm thinking seriously about going there to climb hardware mountains and search for more interesting parts.

Reply 10434 of 52820, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ramiro77 wrote:

Yours supports Tualatin?

Up to a speed of 1.2 I think. Not shure, as I have only read it somewere in the manual.
Personally I really don't need a Tualatin, as I have other systems that are faster.

EDIT:

Yes.... Someone has confirmed a 1.4ghz (Still not 100% shure if it's correct)
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel/D815EEA2_ … _D815EPEA2.html

Reply 10435 of 52820, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

last couple of weeks i managed to get some nice items.

Cyrix 5x86 100gp
Amd 5x86 133mhz
Athlon xp 3200+
K6-2+ 533mhz

Cpu's are on their way so i don't have them yet.

Found in my own collection: athlon xp mobile 2500+. Never knew i had that one! Like it a lot, runs smooth at 2400mhz right now and i will see how far i can take it.

Geforce fx5800 club3D Non ultra. love this one as i had the same when it was new. It wasn't THAT bad and still a nice upgrade from my ti4200 64mb. Finally found it!
Geforce 6800GT boxed. Came with additional Zalman cooler.
Matrox G200 pci
Matrox millenium pci
Ati rage Pro AIW agp

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 10436 of 52820, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
ramiro77 wrote:

Yours supports Tualatin?

Up to a speed of 1.2 I think. Not shure, as I have only read it somewere in the manual.
Personally I really don't need a Tualatin, as I have other systems that are faster.

True for any board........
If it supports any PIII-S CPU then it supports the 1.4 GHz version.
The reason documentation does not say so is that the documentation was released before the 1.4GHz CPU and was never updated.
That is very common with Tualatin boards.
The BIOS might not correctly display the 1.4 GHz version but it will work fine.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 10437 of 52820, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
True for any board........ If it supports any PIII-S CPU then it supports the 1.4 GHz version. The reason documentation does not […]
Show full quote
brostenen wrote:
ramiro77 wrote:

Yours supports Tualatin?

True for any board........
If it supports any PIII-S CPU then it supports the 1.4 GHz version.
The reason documentation does not say so is that the documentation was released before the 1.4GHz CPU and was never updated.
That is very common with Tualatin boards.
The BIOS might not correctly display the 1.4 GHz version but it will work fine.

Yep, same here. Even the Asus site says only up to 1,2ghz p3 for the Tusl2-c but the 1,4ghz runs perfectly. Voltage is the same and multplier is locked so it will work as long as any tualatin p3 is supported.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 10438 of 52820, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:

Yep, same here. Even the Asus site says only up to 1,2ghz p3 for the Tusl2-c but the 1,4ghz runs perfectly. Voltage is the same and multplier is locked so it will work as long as any tualatin p3 is supported.

That's handy info. 😀 Thanks

Reply 10439 of 52820, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something bigger this time. Not really retro, well - unless you take single thread performance into account. 🤣

Asus KGPE-D16 - dual socket G34
g34_4eos9j.jpg

2x Opteron 6272 - Interlagos, 16 cores @ 2,1 GHz per CPU
g34_5m9sgj.jpg

Testing on benchtable
g34_3pos78.jpg

32 cores in total.
http://abload.de/img/g34_68rsva.png

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware