Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 10701 of 52969, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lukeno94 wrote:

DDR-500? Damn, didn't even know that existed! Also, I've discovered the sound chip in my titchy little Acer TravelMate 313T is an OPL3 Yamaha chip, which is nice.

You've missed out on a lot then. It's "overclocking ram" and there has been many many brands that have 500 mhz DDR ram they sold. ADATA, GeiL, Kingston HyperX, Corsair, Patriot.. most of the name brands have one variety or another.

GeiL however is the only one I've ever known to sell 600 mhz DDR ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16820144341

EDIT: And because of your mentioning and looking up that Geil page, I just... happened to decide to browse ebay and found a single 512MB stick of GeiL DDR-550 ram for $7.50 total. Mine now. 😁

s-l1600--3.jpg

Reply 10702 of 52969, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
You've missed out on a lot then. It's "overclocking ram" and there has been many many brands that have 500 mhz DDR ram they sold […]
Show full quote
Lukeno94 wrote:

DDR-500? Damn, didn't even know that existed! Also, I've discovered the sound chip in my titchy little Acer TravelMate 313T is an OPL3 Yamaha chip, which is nice.

You've missed out on a lot then. It's "overclocking ram" and there has been many many brands that have 500 mhz DDR ram they sold. ADATA, GeiL, Kingston HyperX, Corsair, Patriot.. most of the name brands have one variety or another.

GeiL however is the only one I've ever known to sell 600 mhz DDR ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16820144341

EDIT: And because of your mentioning and looking up that Geil page, I just... happened to decide to browse ebay and found a single 512MB stick of GeiL DDR-550 ram for $7.50 total. Mine now. 😁

s-l1600--3.jpg

DDR RAM was before the time I started fiddling with computers, and I've never tried to build an XP screamer or anything like that. Fastest I've ever seen is DDR-400 😀

Reply 10703 of 52969, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lukeno94 wrote:

DDR RAM was before the time I started fiddling with computers, and I've never tried to build an XP screamer or anything like that. Fastest I've ever seen is DDR-400 😀

And here's where you think I'm crazy. Those two red sticks are going in my Windows 98 SE build.... The one with a AthlonXP 3200+ @ 2.5 ghz, geforce 6800 ultra, and sound blaster live card.. and voodoo2 card.

Reply 10704 of 52969, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:

And here's where you think I'm crazy. Those two red sticks are going in my Windows 98 SE build.... The one with a AthlonXP 3200+ @ 2.5 ghz, geforce 6800 ultra, and sound blaster live card.. and voodoo2 card.

You're a mad man. 🤣

Reply 10705 of 52969, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Private_Ops wrote:
kithylin wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:

You're a mad man. 🤣

Why do you think I got specifically a 512 MB kit.. 😁 😁 😁 It's a nforce2-ultra 400 system.

Reply 10706 of 52969, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:

Not crazy, just have a higher budget than me (although that's probably because I keep accumulating laptop projects and take too long to finish + sell them!) My old games rigs are generally pretty basic.

Reply 10707 of 52969, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lukeno94 wrote:
kithylin wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:

Not crazy, just have a higher budget than me (although that's probably because I keep accumulating laptop projects and take too long to finish + sell them!) My old games rigs are generally pretty basic.

Just keep at it and you will have some nice rigs someday 😀
If you want to get some nice things on a tiny budget check eBay at least daily and you will be surprised what pops up for peanuts sometimes. 😉

Took my a few years to rebuild my collection after losing everything to arson (made really bad choices when it came to making friends) 😢

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 10708 of 52969, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:

... those two red sticks are going in my Windows 98 SE build.... The one with a AthlonXP 3200+ @ 2.5 ghz, geforce 6800 ultra, and sound blaster live card.. and voodoo2 card.

I wouldn't recommend going above the GeForce FX series for a retro build as the 6 and up lose 8-bit palletized textures. I read something about VSync being locked as well. I don't know what the corresponding ATI variant would be.

Reply 10709 of 52969, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got a couple items in over the last week.

Tyan Thunder s2885 with 16GB DDR + two Cooler Master tunnel style heat sinks, not sure what's under them right now... will remove them later:
J2PNZuX.jpg

Asus K8N-DL with 12GB DDR + two Opteron 885s:
Ore8Z0t.jpg

Last edited by m1919 on 2016-02-17, 13:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 10710 of 52969, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lukeno94 wrote:
kithylin wrote:
You've missed out on a lot then. It's "overclocking ram" and there has been many many brands that have 500 mhz DDR ram they sold […]
Show full quote
Lukeno94 wrote:

I have a matched set of two sticks of these: Geil DDR550 😀 I'm planning to put them in my IC7-MAX3 setup

Also some DDR466 sticks too, OCZ's

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 10711 of 52969, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
m1919 wrote:

Got a couple items in over the last week.

Tyan Thunder s2885 with 16GB DDR + two Cooler Master tunnel style heat sinks:

Asus K8N-DL with 12GB DDR + two Opteron 885s:

Wicked stuff !

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 10712 of 52969, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lukeno94 wrote:

Actually I'm on an awfully low budget, just been extremely lucky on ebay. You gotta look around and check out ebay daily.

I made a thread on it somewhere.. I'll have to look it up and I'll edit it in to this post in a few minutes. But basically I found someone on ebay selling a Gigabyte brand socket 462 motherboard. Nvidia Nforce2-ultra-400, dual channel ddr-400 slots (Supports overclocking) and it had a cpu in it under a crappy heatsink. Seller did not describe which CPU it was, and did not have the heatsink off in the listing and I bought it (mainly wanting the motherboard only) and when I got it here... turned out it was a AthlonXP 3200+ 400-FSB-Barton chip.

I paid $16 and some change buy it now free shipping for the entire listing, board & chip & heatsink, and it all works fine. Get it here, put a better heatsink on it and it clocks up to 2.5 ghz stable with the crappy ddr-333 ram I have in there now.

So no.. I didn't pay much at all for the entire system, I just got extremely fecking lucky. 😲

So keep at it! and you'll have nice systems if you keep hunting for em.

EDIT: Thread is here.. it kind of died off but I still have the kit and it still works great. ...

Reply 10713 of 52969, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Space is also an issue for me, which is why I expend my energies on laptops instead 😀 speaking of which, I should receive another 6 (two of which are Pentiums and one is a P3) sometime today!

Reply 10714 of 52969, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lukeno94 wrote:

Space is also an issue for me, which is why I expend my energies on laptops instead 😀 speaking of which, I should receive another 6 (two of which are Pentiums and one is a P3) sometime today!

Laptops are my thing too. But PCMCIA sound cards are HARD to find!

Reply 10715 of 52969, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought this package from "Russia" in Bulgaria! 😉

Thank you Artex for posting the link in the Ebay stuff thread!

Biostar MB-8433UUD-A with some other stuff, the price ended up beeing $31 + cheap shipping so it was a nice deal.

Biostar MB-8433UUD-A_and_stuff.JPG
Filename
Biostar MB-8433UUD-A_and_stuff.JPG
File size
4.32 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 10717 of 52969, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

I bought this package from "Russia" in Bulgaria! 😉

Thank you Artex for posting the link in the Ebay stuff thread!

Haha - nice stuff and one hell of a deal! I'll make sure to go and buy a globe and practice my geography.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 10718 of 52969, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today arrived something glowing,weird and made by Asus 🤣
Asus 6800 Gamer Edition(V9999GE/TD/N/256M/A)
An Frankenstein that has 6800 Ultra PCB,usual 6800 chip and 6800 GT clocks and amount of memory.

9VvDqOPl.jpg
With this my RDRAM 478 project seems to have chances bring it to life 🤣

v0itZbil.jpg

*Glow*
is3FSUel.jpg

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 10719 of 52969, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^ This is a very unique and useful card indeed. If you make a notch on the AGP connector, you will be able to use it in 3,3V AGP slots, that has been already confirmed. However I won't take any responsibility for that obviously 😀
Such a mod makes it the most powerful 3,3V card, moreover, it's the most powerful card that still has Win9X support (though unofficial IIRC). The only card that still can be a little bit more desirable is ASUS V9999GT/256 😀 but you may try to enable the 4 disabled pipelines, however it doesn't work that often (according to some reports on different forums).
Congratulations!:)

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)