VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 10780 of 52759, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah.. when I tested my 486 before, I was using a 16+ year old AT power supply (Likely zero efficiency or if it has a value it's not published) so that was more than likely the reason for the (what I thought at the time) high power draw. I was using a standard older 4 GB IDE drive too.

Reply 10781 of 52759, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lukeno94 wrote:

Toshiba Satellite Pro 460CDX. It has a 166 MHz Pentium MMX CPU, but I have no idea about the chipset. It is missing a battery and HDD caddy (standard IDE connector seems to be built in at the back), and although it powers fine when no HDD is fitted, fitting one produces an orange blinking power light for some reason - any ideas?

Might be a long shot, but Toshiba Libretto 50CT does this when the HDD (in my case a CF card in adapter) is inserted the wrong way, with an offset, so that the power line of the board gets connected to ground line of the HDD. Nothing gets burnt though, I suppose some kind of protection does the job.

Reply 10782 of 52759, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Artex, first of all, I'm very jealous. However, I was kind of surprised you didn't have the 6000 in the first place 😀

Living wrote:

thats the 4th revision. The 1st and final revion (5th) are almost impossible to find.

Sounds more like "That 600bhp sport car is a pile of dough, the 1000bhp over there is the one to have"

Reply 10783 of 52759, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Everyone around here seems to be more interested in aquiring late 90's early 2000's hardware so i'll post something different for a change. I managed to find the following on eBay which i made an offer for and actually got a good deal:

WP_20160222_011_zps7wzmhkgs.jpg

WP_20160222_010_zpsclppc0vf.jpg

The Covox Sound Master Plus seems to be missing a few components and it seems these components were intentionally removed. If you look closely and comparing to Elianda's card 2 resistors C10 and C11 are missing and also a ceramic cap at C7.

Seller claimed the card to be tested and working, but i'm wondering if the components are essential and plugging the card without them might reduce the life of the card substantially. I think this card deserves its own thread.

And also really cool to get the 1990 AdLib version, i now own both the 1987 and 1990 PCB revisions, i really want to get a box for the 1990 one. 😎

Reply 10784 of 52759, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMobRules wrote:

Wow! Now that's something you don't see very often. Congrats!! It's well worth selling your soul (or a kidney) for that thing. 🤣

Thanks! Been wanting one of these for quite a while, but A) it's cost-prohibitive and B) no one wants to let them go!

TheMobRules wrote:

One question: that connector next to the VGA output was originally planned to use an external power adapter right? Voodoo Volts:

Yes, the round connector you see there came in two varieties, an older 4-pin connection and the latest single pin connector that you see on mine. Both were for the Voodoo Volts power brick.

All Images here are from the Dodge Garage V5-6000 page (http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/v6k_faq.htm)
trivia_v6k_11.jpg

All Revision 2 and later boards boards have a spot for an internal connector as well
trivia_v6k_23.jpgtrivia_v6k_14.jpg

TheMobRules wrote:

Does any of the V5 6000 cards out there come with the external adapter? All the lucky owners of those cards I've seen seem to have that Molex thingy like yours...

There are collectors out there that have one or more revisions of the Voodoo Volts but as these are tough to come by, lots of folks use these molex connectors to power their cards. One guy in Spain sells them, admittedly for quite a bit of money for what it actually is/does.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 10785 of 52759, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did wonder if you could use those pads as I've seen cards with a molex hanging off those screw standoff things with forks on the end.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 10786 of 52759, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:

Toshiba Satellite Pro 460CDX. It has a 166 MHz Pentium MMX CPU, but I have no idea about the chipset. It is missing a battery and HDD caddy (standard IDE connector seems to be built in at the back), and although it powers fine when no HDD is fitted, fitting one produces an orange blinking power light for some reason - any ideas?

Might be a long shot, but Toshiba Libretto 50CT does this when the HDD (in my case a CF card in adapter) is inserted the wrong way, with an offset, so that the power line of the board gets connected to ground line of the HDD. Nothing gets burnt though, I suppose some kind of protection does the job.

It wouldn't surprise me, although I thought I had inserted the drive correctly on both occasions - may try again later. If I had the caddy, that would make my life easier... but I don't, and I can't find one on eBay either. I can find 460CDXs that appear to be complete, but I don't want to spend £20 and have yet another untested laptop when I might get no return whatsoever.

I now have a HDD caddy for the Compaq Evo, which seems to work fine in Windows XP... apart from the backlight's tendency to switch itself on and off and random (or not come on fully at all). Screen is visible (barely) even when it's off, but it's a pain. It's a pretty snappy system as well, with 1GB of DDR RAM fitted. I've also swapped the screen on the Pico, upgraded it to 512MB of RAM (any higher produces weird ACPI errors when booting Windows, for some reason - even though I know both slots were good) and replaced its CMOS battery. Strangely enough, the trackpad is mounted to the main chassis, not the palmrest - never seen that approach taken before. Even weirder is that the RAM is underneath the keyboard (and two metal shields below the keyboard as well), even though the CPU, CMOS battery and HDD can all be accessed from underneath the system...

Finally, I took delivery of an iBook G3 600 MHz (not a clamshell), but sadly it seems to be U/S. It was sold as having a dead HDD, which it indeed did have, but it simply won't power on for more than a second - spins up a good HDD, but only briefly and goes no further. Ah well, will try stripping it down and inspecting it at some point, and maybe replace the motherboard.

Reply 10787 of 52759, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An nVidia Quadro 3000G arrived today. It's a Quadro 3000 with Genlock capabilities. It's similar to a FX 5900 or FX 5900 Ultra (depending at which source is correct with the core clocks) with 256 MB RAM.

nVidia Quadro 3000G.JPG
Filename
nVidia Quadro 3000G.JPG
File size
3.3 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 10788 of 52759, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

got myself a Dell Dimension 8100 , one of the early S423 P4 machines from 2000 , the machine was missing some parts, and was a quite filthy (the first thing you should do when getting an expensive new system , is tie it to a pickup truck and drive it through a swamp or a jungle apparently) , so I went ahead with cleaning and restoring the machine, as well as put in parts closer to what a top 8100 would have come with in 2000/2001. Added a GF2 Ti (since I dont have a GF2 Ultra) , SB Live 5.1 , a 160GB IDE drive (I think the orignal came with an IBM deathstar ), replaced the thermal paste with AS Ceramique and updated the BIOS . The system has a 1.4Ghz P4 , LG CD-ROM drive , the floppy drive, a couple of network cards, a GF2 MX and the orignal 330w PSU as well as 64MB of RDRAM , which I replaced with 512MB (might install more if I find more for the price of a sandwich).

excuse the quality, the potato I used to take the photos wasn't playing nice

IMG_20160222_175247917_zpsmpsur4kz.jpg IMG_20160222_170245583_zpshn3nf3kv.jpg IMG_20160222_170154134_zpsaebhhkxx.jpg

the COA sticker is for WInME , so that might get installed alongside WinXP SP1 for instance.

Reply 10789 of 52759, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great purchases Carlos!
It's good to see some 8bit ISA goodness after all that retro-modern stuff 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10790 of 52759, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Darkman wrote:
http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/darkman_019/IMG_20160222_170154134_zpsaebhhkxx.jpg […]
Show full quote

IMG_20160222_170154134_zpsaebhhkxx.jpg

Never seen one of these before - didn't know the first P4s look just like Tualatins!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 10791 of 52759, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

A couple of P4 boxes were given to me, stripped them all and got some lovely parts!

One had an Intel D865PERL board in it, a really nice motherboard, black PCB and very reliable.

Same here ! I got a mint D865PERL too with a beefy P4C on it. I was able to rescue it from the local electronics recycle center. It was mounted in a fully loaded PC.

I plan to run my Voodoo 5 AGP in it as this was one of the latest boards that accepts the V5 AGP voltage !

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 10792 of 52759, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AzzKickr wrote:

Same here ! I got a mint D865PERL too with a beefy P4C on it. I was able to rescue it from the local electronics recycle center. It was mounted in a fully loaded PC.

I plan to run my Voodoo 5 AGP in it as this was one of the latest boards that accepts the V5 AGP voltage !

Are you sure? I don't think 3.3V AGP was supported on any Intel P4 chipset.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 10794 of 52759, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

Great purchases Carlos!

Good to know you enjoy it. Retro-modern stuff isn't really my thing... 🤣

Reply 10795 of 52759, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For me, I've already got pretty much all the older hardware that I wanted, so the newer parts are more interesting. They are also cheaper to find, but not sure how long that lasts.

Got a good deal on an eBay hardware bundle. A P5ND2SLI motherboard, with Pentium D and two WD Raptor hard drives for AUD 20 + postage. Also bought a bunch of Pentium 4 processors I had been looking for.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10796 of 52759, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:
Everyone around here seems to be more interested in aquiring late 90's early 2000's hardware so i'll post something different fo […]
Show full quote

Everyone around here seems to be more interested in aquiring late 90's early 2000's hardware so i'll post something different for a change. I managed to find the following on eBay which i made an offer for and actually got a good deal:

WP_20160222_010_zpsclppc0vf.jpg

The Covox Sound Master Plus seems to be missing a few components and it seems these components were intentionally removed. If you look closely and comparing to Elianda's card 2 resistors C10 and C11 are missing and also a ceramic cap at C7.

Seller claimed the card to be tested and working, but i'm wondering if the components are essential and plugging the card without them might reduce the life of the card substantially. I think this card deserves its own thread.

Did someone shed blood trying to remove those parts? 😈

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 10797 of 52759, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps the red is wax and this card is really an urgent message to the Duke of Verona?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10798 of 52759, by happycube

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brassicGamer wrote:

Never seen one of these before - didn't know the first P4s look just like Tualatins!

The P4/1.4's also ran like Tualatin's... at about 1ghz. And a lot more wattage. A harbinger of Prescott I suppose 😉

Reply 10799 of 52759, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:
keropi wrote:

Great purchases Carlos!

Retro-modern stuff isn't really my thing... 🤣

Nice cards and good to see.

Yeah... I'd say the only reason I am on Vogons is for the late 80's / early 90's era components.

I've been actively posting 8-bit EGA cards etc recently on the eBay thread to try bring balance to the force! 🤣

Keep'em coming.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks