Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 11921 of 52723, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

Look's like a lot of work is going in that case, if the reddish stuff is rust.
Take apart, sandblow and repaint....

I can tell, that's definitely rust. Besides that.. that old server case there looks like it uses non-standard and unique some sort of plastic rails or metal rails that go on the side of the 5.25" devices.. and likely can't even mount a cd-rom without those. And they're likely lost to time now.

Reply 11923 of 52723, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wife insisted we go hunting today. Hit up a bunch of thrifts and pawn shops, but managed to come back with this:
http://imgur.com/a/ob84O

The relevant parts here are the laptop and the G4 tower. The Apple is G4/466 "Digital Audio". Seems to be bone stock, but needs a good cleaning.

The more interesting thing is the laptop. Found it at a pawn shop for $9.00 since they didn't have the AC adapter. Figured if nothing else I could use it as a parts donor for my other Latitude. It uses the same adapter so I plugged it in and BAM, works perfectly.

Dell C610, 1ghz, 16MB VRAM

Still doing some research on it, but it seems to be a recommended machine around here for laptop gaming of the era.

The G4 came out to $30 even.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 11924 of 52723, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
senrew wrote:
Wife insisted we go hunting today. Hit up a bunch of thrifts and pawn shops, but managed to come back with this: http://imgur.co […]
Show full quote

Wife insisted we go hunting today. Hit up a bunch of thrifts and pawn shops, but managed to come back with this:
http://imgur.com/a/ob84O

The relevant parts here are the laptop and the G4 tower. The Apple is G4/466 "Digital Audio". Seems to be bone stock, but needs a good cleaning.

The more interesting thing is the laptop. Found it at a pawn shop for $9.00 since they didn't have the AC adapter. Figured if nothing else I could use it as a parts donor for my other Latitude. It uses the same adapter so I plugged it in and BAM, works perfectly.

Dell C610, 1ghz, 16MB VRAM

Still doing some research on it, but it seems to be a recommended machine around here for laptop gaming of the era.

The G4 came out to $30 even.

The C610's can take up to 1.3 ghz mobile 512KB cached P3 Tualatin and usually come with a GeForce2 Go mobile card up to 32MB or 64 MB, which are actually quite confident for early Win9x gaming, and have quite speedy ms-dos acceleration for VESA game modes. Also you can use the same multi-bay devices from the older 500 series lattitudes (direct compatible) and if you fit em with 2 healthy lithium ion cells they alternate between batteries and sometimes run 8-12 hours on full charge. At least mine did when I had it years ago. I bought one recently but it's got a dead screen and I dunno yet if I want to repair it or not. The mobile P3's there even have a very early version of Intel SpeedStep and will shift down to half speed in windows if you're idle.

Reply 11925 of 52723, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

The C610's can take up to 1.3 ghz mobile 512KB cached P3 Tulatiains and usually come with a GeForce2 Go mobile card up to 32MB or 64 MB, which are actually quite confident for early Win9x gaming, and have quite speedy ms-dos acceleration for VESA game modes. Also you can use the same multi-bay devices from the older 500 series lattitudes (direct compatible) and if you fit em with 2 healthy lithium ion cells they alternate between batteries and sometimes run 8-12 hours on full charge. At least mine did when I had it years ago. I bought one recently but it's got a dead screen and I dunno yet if I want to repair it or not.

The screen hinges on this one are weak. Not much past vertical and it falls back easily. Looks like 1ghz/700mhz for AC/Battery. Mobility Radeon 16MB (Guessing that's VE equivalent? MP6?), and whatever this Crystal 4205 sound is.

My older machine is a CPx 500hgt something or other. It's got the combo DVD reader/CD Burner drive, floppy, but dead battery. However, the rest of the hardware is virtually brand new. May do some frankensteining to combine them into the newer machine if I can. I'll be looking into the upgrade parts now. 😀

Reply 11926 of 52723, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The C600 hinges are a notorious weak point, and I can't imagine they changed them on the C610. The right hinge IIRC (the one with the two parts) is very prone to metal fatigue and shearing off, as I've seen on multiple examples - and many of the ones on eBay have this issue. At least the C610 won't suffer from the hideously high heat output that my 1 GHz Coppermine C600 did... that was just ridiculous. Coppermine 1 GHz laptop CPUs are a terrible thing, worse than most P4s.

Parts for the C610 are plentiful, and I'd imagine everything from the C600 (bar CPUs and possibly GPUs) and many things from the C640 will fit perfectly. Parts from the Inspiron 4000 and 4100 should also fit perfectly, as they're direct clones of the C600/C610; maybe parts from the C640 clones (2650 and 4150) will fit as well. The Dell Modular Bay things will fit your CPx fine, but otherwise the only things likely to be compatible are the RAM and HDD - even the Coppermine CPU uses a different connector to the Tulatin ones (not to mention that putting a 1 GHz CPU in a system originally designed for Pentium MMXs may not be the best idea). Replacement Dell Modular Bay batteries are only about £15 on eBay if you get one from Hong Kong.

Reply 11927 of 52723, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this http://www.ebay.com/itm/361553783245?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT this morning...

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 11928 of 52723, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome!

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 11929 of 52723, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got in the mail today, one I/O-Shield for my P3 motherboard.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11930 of 52723, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A colleague gave me this, might try it in my Socket 7 machine. Can't see it being a longterm replacement for the GF2 PCI though as I hear that it's super slow in 320x200 DOS games.

drE1ca2l.jpg

Reply 11931 of 52723, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:
A colleague gave me this, might try it in my Socket 7 machine. Can't see it being a longterm replacement for the GF2 PCI though […]
Show full quote

A colleague gave me this, might try it in my Socket 7 machine. Can't see it being a longterm replacement for the GF2 PCI though as I hear that it's super slow in 320x200 DOS games.

drE1ca2l.jpg

Yeah, the 2D sucks on it.

Reply 11932 of 52723, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:

Can't see it being a longterm replacement for the GF2 PCI though as I hear that it's super slow in 320x200 DOS games.

But it has a pretty logo in the chip so that should make up for the slowness 😀

Reply 11933 of 52723, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This arrived today. £6.68 + Postage. Gainward 6800 Ultra 256mb. Arrived in a jiffy bag, which the postman tried to push through the letterbox 🤣. Fortunately i was there to stop him. Can't believe how people treat things they sell to people. Card was filthy too. Popped it into my test machine and it works and i will give it a good clean later.

20160510_155242.jpg

Reply 11934 of 52723, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
senrew wrote:

Wife insisted we go hunting today. Hit up a bunch of thrifts and pawn shops.

Kudos to your wife! What does she get out of thrifting?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 11936 of 52723, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:
senrew wrote:

Wife insisted we go hunting today. Hit up a bunch of thrifts and pawn shops.

Kudos to your wife! What does she get out of thrifting?

She's always on the lookout for musical equipment. For example, if I'm looking for a roland module for gaming, she's looking for almost the same roland gear for her home studio. Both sides of the same (expensive!) coin. Euro House/Dance/Club CDs from 80s/90s, Synthpop anything. Occasionally she'll spot some clothes or something she likes. I'm the one who comes home with the bulky unnecessary electronics and other such items.

Reply 11937 of 52723, by firev12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, long time lurker. I am building a 486 (DX 40 MHz, like my 1st PC). I recently bought the m/b you see. Can anyone identify it? On the back side there is a "486IG-B-2-1" printed, along with "P103". Can't test it yet, no ISA VGA available. Another issue, I tried to pull the CPU (from the heatsink) but I can't remove it. Do I need any special tool?

Attachments

• unknowvesa.jpg
    Filename
    unknowvesa.jpg
    File size
    229.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11939 of 52723, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I find shopping in thrift stores to a big waste of time here in FL. Most square footage inside the stores is dedicated to clothing. The electronics racks are usually very small and have DVD/CD players plus kitchen equipment. Recently on a (rare) spare afternoon I dropped by 8 thrift / pawn stores and found 2 LaserDisc movies: that was all. 🤣

And I included Goodwill, Salvation Army and small / mid size pawn shops. Pawn shops are the biggest waste of time because they charge crazy amounts for generic junk like CD / DVD players.