Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 12200 of 52822, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
HighTreason wrote:
I quite like the idea of that: "Hmm, this is an interesting soldering iron tip, let's try it out..." - BANG! […]
Show full quote

I quite like the idea of that:
"Hmm, this is an interesting soldering iron tip, let's try it out..."
- BANG!

At first I thought they were rivets, but no. Then I thought they were plasterboard screw plugs, but no. The metal looks too rough to be ammunition so... no idea.

Tips for a snap-on butane soldering iron.

Reply 12201 of 52822, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here we go:

board 133A + extras.jpg
Filename
board 133A + extras.jpg
File size
263.03 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

From top to bottom and left from right:

- (in honor of the new X-Men movie) Matrox Mystique 220 2MB + 2MB expansion card
- Asus V6800 DDR GeForce256 64MB DDR
- Asus P3V4X (Via Apollo Pro 133A)
- Asus Radeon 9600XT 128MB
- my very first slocket (just started getting into Pentium III stuff lately)
- 3x 128MB + 1x 256MB DIMMs
- Intel Pentium III 700/100

Didn't realized I got all that Asus gear until I wrote the list just now.

Funny story about the 9600XT is that I actually bought it about 1 year ago, but at the time I thought it was dead because it wouldn't boot on the motherboard I tested with. However I recently discovered that said motherboard wasn't actually AGP 4X capable, it was only AGP 2X although it used a universal connector (those jokester motherboard manufacturers...) so it wasn't until I got the above motherboard that I finally tested the graphics card with a proper motherboard and luckily it survived all this time in the junk pile.

Reply 12202 of 52822, by Mr_ppp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought a load of LS-120 disks to use in my machines and also a couple of interesting pickups

First off I bought my first boxed and sealed item, not as collectible as some but its a start 😀

audigy.png
Filename
audigy.png
File size
929.88 KiB
Views
File license

More interestingly this Reelmagic board. It caught my eye because as well as having the usually missing cable it's also ISA whereas my other one is a newer pci version 😎

reelmagic.JPG
Filename
reelmagic.JPG
File size
575.96 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 12203 of 52822, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BSA Starfire wrote:
I sold 3 of my 4 3dfx Voodoo 3's, then decided I needed a spare, luckily just found this one for a VERY good price. Less than ha […]
Show full quote
voodoo3 3000 AGP.JPG

I sold 3 of my 4 3dfx Voodoo 3's, then decided I needed a spare, luckily just found this one for a VERY good price. Less than half what I sold was other for a few months back, nice to know a few bargains still around.
Best,
Chris

I remember when I had one of these... I wish I knew what happened to it over the years. Anyway, one of the best things I ever did to it was add a fan. It isn't a night and day difference, but it does keep the card topped off as far as frames-per-second that you lose when it's at peak heat.

Matthew

Reply 12204 of 52822, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found a cheap(-ish) IBM PS/2 model 30 (8530) motherboard, with 286/10 CPU. Unfortunately it doesn't include anything else, especially not the ISA riser board. What are the odds that I'll find one of those somewhere? OTOH it has on-board MCGA video.

This is my first foray into non-PC x86 hardware. Should be fun.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12205 of 52822, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Scored a cheap Diamond Viper 770 32mb for $5 shipped and two weeks ago I also gotten a Viper 550 pci, somewhat surprised that next to no attention at all has been payed to TNT era cards except for Phill's review.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 12206 of 52822, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think most of us are are already stocked up with TNT cards 😊

They are still easy to find and affordable.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 12207 of 52822, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Yep but newer people get turned off too quickly hearing horror stories about the M64 and the Vanta.

Reply 12208 of 52822, by Mr_ppp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nforce4max wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Yep but newer people get turned off too quickly hearing horror stories about the M64 and the Vanta.

I must be doing something wrong because all I end up when trying is the M64 or Vantas, I'm drowning in the things! 😀

Reply 12209 of 52822, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mr_ppp wrote:

I must be doing something wrong because all I end up when trying is the M64 or Vantas, I'm drowning in the things! 😀

A easy way to avoid them is some quick google searches for known 128 bit models 😉
Some of the M64 are hard to tell apart from the better 128bit models but there are some 128s that really stick out like the Viper 770. Most of the M64 have smaller coolers or none at all and many of the cards are smaller. The oem M64s (mostly Dell) can fool just about anyone.

Reply 12210 of 52822, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mr_ppp wrote:

Bugger you're right, I should have said TNT2 M64 😊

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 12211 of 52822, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mr_ppp wrote:
nforce4max wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I stopped picking up the M64 and Vantas, but do keep them if they happen to be in a lot with something that I actually want to pay for and I also keep all the ones I can get for free anyway.

I don't toss any either (unless unresurrectable), even the Vantas have their use. Their very low power consumption and reasonably good performance and compatibility that go along with it make it good candidates for motherboards with potential poor power delivery to its AGP slot (like very early Slot 1 boards or some ss7 boards), along with some 3DFX V1/V2/V2SLI magic 😀.

And if that won't do, they always make good test cards 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12213 of 52822, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a bunch of random memory on 'Marktplaats', our local auction site. I was mainly interested in the cache modules.

Unfortunately, I got confronted with the same problem as others have recently: bad packaging 🙁

D4QKQYql.jpg

zuSnngql.jpg

Good thing it was on not so interesting memory. Could probaby solder the components back on, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble, I'm drowning in SDRAM. Might be good practice in soldering 😀

Does anybody know what the module in the middle is? The shorter one? Looks a bit like notebook memory? I haven't got a better picture at the moment.

1982 to 2001

Reply 12215 of 52822, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right who won the Voodoo II for 2 quid on ebay last night? Can't believe i forgot to raise my max bid!!!!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 12216 of 52822, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks! I must admit I was a bit lazy and had not yet Googled myself 😀

Rawrl wrote:

Well IDT's site has the datasheet for the 71256SA, which shows those as 15ns 32k x 8 SRAMs, so I'd guess a proprietary cache module of some sort.

1982 to 2001

Reply 12218 of 52822, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

Found a cheap(-ish) IBM PS/2 model 30 (8530) motherboard, with 286/10 CPU. Unfortunately it doesn't include anything else, especially not the ISA riser board. What are the odds that I'll find one of those somewhere? OTOH it has on-board MCGA video.

This is my first foray into non-PC x86 hardware. Should be fun.

The 286 version of Model 30 had full VGA on board!

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 12219 of 52822, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One of these is headed my way shortly;
M3296.JPG

Should make a nice change from the AWE card, one of which died ages ago and I never got around to fixing or replacing it. I doubt the compatibility is as good, but that's no big deal. I suppose it will be interesting to try out sequencing in Cakewalk with that onboard Wavetable.

Edit: Hopefully anyway. ebay has been nuts lately, I just received the order confirmation e-mail three times over (umm...) and it still claims I didn't pay for something I definitely did pay for and the seller knows I paid for... Who knows, I'm not worried because as long as I've handed the money over there's not much of anything that can go wrong, surely? The My eBay page says everything is in check anyway and PayPal, plus my bank account, reflects this. I assume they're just dicking around with the backend or something and it's causing phantom alerts to go off.

Edit: On a last note, a camera fix is on the way too, but it may take a while to get here and it will probably take me a little while to get back into gear once it arrives... Plus, knowing my luck, I'll get it working only to have to move or some shit, things rarely work out as well as they could.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)