Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 12440 of 52970, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

Picked up 4 CRTs today. The company is cleaning out to go from 6000sqft to 1000sqft. They threw in an am5x86 tower. 😀

They had rooms more filled but all the other stuff (professional server grade) is going to a professional buyer.

Free stuff and a bottle of water was great.

THAT TOWER CASE!!!! HNNNNNNNGH

As a kid, my dad's first 486 tower was in that exact case.

Are there any brand marking on it anywhere that might help me track one down for myself?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 12441 of 52970, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:
Carlos S. M. wrote:

Soundcards:
1. Sounblaster Live! 5.1

It's another SB0220 Dell *censored*.
Welcome to the club... 😀

Well. Is kinda werid that i found that card in a non Dell PC

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 12442 of 52970, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:
I completely forgot to post that my QDI Platinix 2E/333 motherboard arrived yesterday. Unfortunately due to work schedule I won' […]
Show full quote

I completely forgot to post that my QDI Platinix 2E/333 motherboard arrived yesterday. Unfortunately due to work schedule I won't be able to fire it up until Tue or Wed. It has, as expected, a 3x2 solder pad labeled "PCPCI" with no header on it. I'll solder a header and test whether it works for DOS sound with a YMF744 card. Chipset i845E, don't think there were any later motherboards with even a hint of PCPCI.

Overview.JPG

Only issue, based on some quick testing I did, is that my only s478 cooler (originally from a HP server) exceeds the size of the retention bracket by a few millimeters. I'll have either to saw off a bit of the cooler's base, or better yet remove the bracket and secure the cooler by alternate means.

Good luck with the SB-Link tests. I just got a Socket 423 mobo in the lot of parts, but aparentt, it doesn't have the SB-Link connector unlike my sightly newer Platinix 2 nor solder marks for it.
The mobo is an ECS P4ITA

Reply 12443 of 52970, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Carlos S. M. wrote:

Good luck with the SB-Link tests. I just got a Socket 423 mobo in the lot of parts, but aparentt, it doesn't have the SB-Link connector unlike my sightly newer Platinix 2 nor solder marks for it.
The mobo is an ECS P4ITA

Yeah very few P4 motherboards had the PC/PCI or even the pads for it. I found a few i845, i848 and i865 motherboards (only from QDI and ECS) that had any trace of it. I scoured probably over a hundred pictures of motherboards to identify those. See my PC/PCI posts List of motherboards with SB-link (PC/PCI) header
I just bought a ECS 848P-A motherboard to test.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12445 of 52970, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Geforce 7950 gx2. Because I could not pass up the price and happened to have a couple extra dollars. Plus I would imagine working ones are rare!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 12446 of 52970, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

They threw in an am5x86 tower. 😀

cool lookin tower there Peter!

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 12447 of 52970, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

Geforce 7950 gx2. Because I could not pass up the price and happened to have a couple extra dollars. Plus I would imagine working ones are rare!

Indeed they are, improper handling and lack of maintenance destroyed the vast majority of them. If you ever run into a 7900 gtx duo those are even more rare as most were sold to Dell while a few made their way to EVGA. Those from EVGA are the ones to have as they should work on most boards as normal but the Dell models however don't 😒
The Quadro version of the card is really rare and had a $2,800 price tag when it was new. 😳

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 12448 of 52970, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hard1k wrote:

Just stole an Ad Lib 1990 for $28 BIN at eBay! I've been lucky today!

You're lucky i'm not the kind of guy of buying stuff to sell for 10x more later. I had seen that ad and thought about getting it, but since i already have a 1987 and a 1990 bare cards i decided to leave it for someone else. Less than an hour later the card was gone. But for about the same money i would have spent on that AdLib i got a few days earlier something also kinda rare and AdLib related.

Reply 12449 of 52970, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Then thank you for not buying this one! 😀 I don't have any original AdLibs except the Gold 1000, and this one will go nicely into a 386SX build I already have.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 12450 of 52970, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got a couple of these
A bit of a gamble, since I never even heard of these before. And I don't think I ever seen hybrid CPU/GPU HSFs before and these were pretty cheap. I only intend to use these for broken or very loud VGA fans though.
Also got some case fans on the way as I'm running really low on those too.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12451 of 52970, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Got a couple of these
A bit of a gamble, since I never even heard of these before. And I don't think I ever seen hybrid CPU/GPU HSFs before and these were pretty cheap. I only intend to use these for broken or very loud VGA fans though.

i have a very similar one on my 8800gs card. works a treat.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12452 of 52970, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Got a couple of these

These look quite awesome, and are giving me some ideas.

The link also has liquid cooling systems... an overclocked liquid cooled 386! 🤣

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 12453 of 52970, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BSA Starfire wrote:

Got this lovely Tomato 4DPS 2.1 motherboard from ebay, will go really well with the AMD DX/4 100 and Cyrix 5x86 100 CPU's I got recently. Can't wait for it to arrive.

This will build a nice wee system, I like how compact it is yet still fits in everything you need.

EDIT: -

PeterLI wrote:

Picked up 4 CRTs today. The company is cleaning out to go from 6000sqft to 1000sqft. They threw in an am5x86 tower. 😀

They had rooms more filled but all the other stuff (professional server grade) is going to a professional buyer.

Free stuff and a bottle of water was great.

That case is the daddy! Quite a score.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 12454 of 52970, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nforce4max wrote:
ODwilly wrote:

Indeed they are, improper handling and lack of maintenance destroyed the vast majority of them. If you ever run into a 7900 gtx duo those are even more rare as most were sold to Dell while a few made their way to EVGA. Those from EVGA are the ones to have as they should work on most boards as normal but the Dell models however don't 😒
The Quadro version of the card is really rare and had a $2,800 price tag when it was new. 😳

Still have my 7950gx2 in working condition. 3 months after buying it the air got so hot while being blown out of the back of the card that the outer plastic of the connected dvi connector melted during summer. 😈 Had to do alot of cleaning and buying new cooling pads to keep it going the first year. Since then it runs well but still hot in the summer.

Reply 12456 of 52970, by Mr_ppp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nvm1 wrote:
nforce4max wrote:
ODwilly wrote:

Still have my 7950gx2 in working condition. 3 months after buying it the air got so hot while being blown out of the back of the card that the outer plastic of the connected dvi connector melted during summer. 😈 Had to do alot of cleaning and buying new cooling pads to keep it going the first year. Since then it runs well but still hot in the summer.

I've just received a GX2 in a joblot of cards and whilst it works fine in single gpu mode it doesn't appear to work properly in sli mode, guessing they need a fair bit of juice tho so I've taken it apart and redone the cooling ready for a test with a beefier psu 😀

I received amongst various other things these ide hard drives ranging from 6GB to 200GB as I was running low and also this still in packet 370SPC slotket that I noticed on ebay with a bin of £10 😀

DSC_0188b.jpg
Filename
DSC_0188b.jpg
File size
245.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12458 of 52970, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked these up yesterday. The black tower was an ebay auction that happened to be local to me. I won the auction for .99 cents US and when I went to pick it up he asked if I wanted the 17in MAG LCD. It also game with a X1650 Radeon. He said he was having trouble getting the Video card to work with the system but that it works fine with the onboard video and the video card tests fine in another machine but didn't want to mess with it anymore.

The ASRock motherboard is a 970 Extreme 4 which is technically modern as it's an AM3+ socket but I got it for free from another guy who said the only thing wrong with it is the onboard sound does not work.

The other three towers I got for 5 USD each from someone who got them in the house he just moved into.
The one which doesn't have a complete case is a Gateway 2000 Pentium 200. It's an ATX motherboard so probably worth transplanting into another case. The Compaq Desktop is a fully working Pentium 3 733mhz. The last tower is a whitebox Celeron 300 with an 440LX chipset motherboard. It won't post but hopefully It's something simple.

The Gateway Pentium machine and the whitebox P2 seem to have some good ISA sound cards in them. an Ensoniq Vivo-90DB-A and one I can't identify with a Yamaha YMF719E chipset.

All in all I spent 16 USB plus the gas to run around I think it was worth it. Here's hoping I can get the Celeron to post!

EDIT: The Celeron posts!, Just had to reseat the memory.

Attachments

Reply 12459 of 52970, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought more parts again... xD

Parts list:
Fujitsu D1495 Motherboard (SiS 645DX)
MSI KT6V-LSR (MS-7021)
QDI Platinix 2E/333 (the same board as stamasd bought recently, mine doesn't have the SB-Link header as well, only solder marks)
Pentium 4 1.5 Ghz s478 (SL59V, the one with the big logo)
Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz (SL6DV)
Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz (SL652)
Celeron D 320 2.4 Ghz (SL87J)
Celeron D 336 2.8 GHz (SL7TW)
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton (2.1 GHz FSB 400, AXDA3000DKV4E)
Radeon 8500 LE 64 MB (Quite strange since in europe, is sold as the Radeon 9100, not 8500 LE)
3 PC133 SDRAM sticks
Lots of DDR sticks
TNT2 M64 32 MB (MSI branded, MS-8808)
2 80 GB HDDs, one Seagate IDE and another Samsung SATA
AGP Retention slots
3 Realtek 8139 NICs
Brackets from the respective mobos

Attachments

• 20160615_151646.jpg
    Filename
    20160615_151646.jpg
    File size
    1.54 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    All this stuff xD
    File license
  • 20160615_151728.jpg
    Filename
    20160615_151728.jpg
    File size
    1.11 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Spare CPUs
    File license
  • 20160615_151737.jpg
    Filename
    20160615_151737.jpg
    File size
    1.79 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Videocards
    File license
  • 20160615_151650.jpg
    Filename
    20160615_151650.jpg
    File size
    1.05 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    HDDs, 1 IDE and 1 SATA
    File license
  • 20160615_151707.jpg
    Filename
    20160615_151707.jpg
    File size
    1.43 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    RAM and NICs
    File license