VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 13160 of 52694, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TBH while the Virge is useful for DOS stuff, I remember it as being pretty awful for OpenGL or DirectX stuff. The original VGA Decelerator. 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13161 of 52694, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

TBH while the Virge is useful for DOS stuff, I remember it as being pretty awful for OpenGL or DirectX stuff. The original VGA Decelerator. 😀

I don't think it even had OpenGL support. I had a Virge GX2 in my second PC ever (Pentium II 266MHz) and when using Direct3D it was either slower than software rendering or about the same speed but worse image quality. Awesome 2D performance though.

And the GX2 is the top of range Virge.

Reply 13162 of 52694, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Been tinkering around trying to get some socket 3 boards back to life and gotten a Saturn 2 board posting only to find it has a password still saved to it. Looked over the board and no way to clear the cmos and it uses a dallas RTC. Board is stalling with this error "previous boot incomplete default configuration used" 😒

If I do manage to get it working fully it will make for a awesome build as it posts with the DV4 and my Cyrix 5x86, the cherry on top is that it has ps2 ports.

Edit: Fixed it 🤣

Anyway it feels great having scored the intel DV4 for almost nothing 😎
SKO51 ,does both 2x and 3x multipliers so maybe I can toss it on a 50mhz board someday 😈

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 13163 of 52694, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought this machine locally last week. Commodore PC30-III with original keyboard and mouse. Apparently the seller bought a flat and found the pc left inside. Whovever owned this before took good care of it or didn't use it much... it's in very good condition and there is no trace of dust inside. Seems completely original with the two floppy drives and the hard disk (which I assume doesn't work as I can't hear it spin).

The machine posts but will refuse to boot from any floppy so I suppose it needs a new battery. From what I've read online it's a soldered RTC chip so I'll set this project aside for a later date, if ever! 😵

tsuStA3l.jpg?1

All is not lost though as the machine came with a nice ATI EGA Wonder 800+ which I've tested and works.

JCB856hl.jpg?1

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 13165 of 52694, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MMaximus wrote:
Bought this machine locally last week. Commodore PC30-III with original keyboard and mouse. Apparently the seller bought a flat […]
Show full quote

Bought this machine locally last week. Commodore PC30-III with original keyboard and mouse. Apparently the seller bought a flat and found the pc left inside. Whovever owned this before took good care of it or didn't use it much... it's in very good condition and there is no trace of dust inside. Seems completely original with the two floppy drives and the hard disk (which I assume doesn't work as I can't hear it spin).

The machine posts but will refuse to boot from any floppy so I suppose it needs a new battery. From what I've read online it's a soldered RTC chip so I'll set this project aside for a later date, if ever! 😵

tsuStA3l.jpg?1

Great find! This is on my must own list of old PCs, one of these older Commodore PCs. 😀

Reply 13166 of 52694, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tikoellner wrote:

I have already posted it in separate thread, but yesterday I got this sealed i486 DX4 Overdrive:

Wow. Marketing that doesn't lie and is as simple to understand as possible: "Makes PCs run faster" 🤣 Can't argue with that!

Reply 13167 of 52694, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
devius wrote:
stamasd wrote:

I don't think it even had OpenGL support. I had a Virge GX2 in my second PC ever (Pentium II 266MHz) and when using Direct3D it was either slower than software rendering or about the same speed but worse image quality. Awesome 2D performance though.

And the GX2 is the top of range Virge.

Huh, I never thought of the ViRGE as being a good 2D card. Everyone just talked about it at the time as "the 3D decelerator" and generally being a piece of crap when you could instead spend your money on a 3dfx card, maybe with a Matrox for 2D if you could afford it.

Meanwhile, I noticed something similar with the GeForce FX line around here - a series generally panned for being late to market with awful DX9/Shader Model 2.0 performance while ATI curbstomped them the whole time with the Radeon 9700/9800, which only served to make the succeeding GeForce 6 Series all the more impressive. (Hey, I would've hated to be the guy who spent $500 on a Radeon 9800 XT the moment before the GeForce 6800 Ultra showed up and wiped the floor with it at the same price while boasting DX9c/Shader Model 3.0 support on top!)

But here, the FX cards are revered for DX8/SM1.4 and OpenGL performance and compatibility alongside being the last line of cards with hardware paletted texture support. The notion is that if you need DX9/SM 2.0 performance, you're going to step up to later, faster cards anyway, possibly even DX10/SM 4.0-era stuff.

It's remarkable what qualities people find in much-maligned hardware years after the fact.

Reply 13168 of 52694, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NamelessPlayer wrote:

Huh, I never thought of the ViRGE as being a good 2D card. Everyone just talked about it at the time as "the 3D decelerator" and generally being a piece of crap when you could instead spend your money on a 3dfx card, maybe with a Matrox for 2D if you could afford it.
It's remarkable what qualities people find in much-maligned hardware years after the fact.

The focus always seems to be on the new technologies of each era. S3 cards were a bit better than the Matrox cards compatibility-wise (albeit with varying output quality), but the craze was all about that new 3D thing, for which they sucked. For DOS-era games, for example, the older Cirrus Logic chipsets were already perfect, which made no real need to get a new card if not for the all-new sparkling 3D features (which the ViRGE wasn't up to the task).

Here in vogons, we can see their merits after so many years 😈

On another (ironic) note, I've seen a sh!tload more almost-10-year-old 8800GT(S) cards going bad than ol' crappy S3 cards, nearly twice their age 🤣 So get your facts straight guys: for socket7 builds S3 is a good choice, especially combined with a 3dfx if you want something like that. S3 supports 3D (theoretically), you can opt not to use it though. S3 doesn't overheat. S3 is durable. Go S3!

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 13169 of 52694, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, some FX cards couldn't outperform the old GeForce 4 cards of a similar stature, which is part of the reason they got such a bad rep - and ATI comfortably winning in DX9 benchmarks didn't help either.

Reply 13170 of 52694, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NamelessPlayer wrote:

You know what's even more mind boggling? That the Trident 3DImage9750 is one of the graphics chips with the best DOS compatibility according to gona's DOS game compatibility matrix.

Reply 13171 of 52694, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this vintage 486 today for 20USD:

DSC_0892%203_zpspuyzsncd.jpg

Inside: Shuttle vlb mobo, dx4-100, mb ram, trident 512kb graphics and some lousy ESS Audiodrive.

But the case is sweet and so fresh! My cousin used to have one like this with 386 inside. So many hours of Prehistorik, UGH!, Blues Brothers or Titus the Fox!

Lots to upgrade. I will stuff it with some of my best soundcards 😀

Reply 13172 of 52694, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this beauty today. A Compaq Professional Workstation SP700 in very good condition. Has one slot 2 Xeon 550mhz cpu and an Elsa Gloria 8mb AGP.
Now i just have to get another CPU and VRMs. Strangely a second CPU needs two VRMs. Never seen that before.
Payed £31.68 included shipping in a big box from UK to Norway 😊

Compaq_SP700_inside.jpg
Filename
Compaq_SP700_inside.jpg
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Compaq_SP700.jpg
Filename
Compaq_SP700.jpg
File size
926.42 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 13173 of 52694, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Met her in a new city: -

225bbd497916805.jpg

This picture is from the album I uploaded.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 13174 of 52694, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

EXTREMELY frustrated and disappointed right now! That beautiful PS/2 I purchased was severely damaged as the seller neglected to provide sufficient packing material on the bottom of the box. The sides and top had some cushioning. The case was barely wrapped in bubble wrap, the small bubbles too, not the large ones, and so was the bottom of the box. Probably only about 1/4" worth of packing. The floppy drive looks like it was damaged as well. Everything else looks ok, but this is unacceptable! I'll be lucky if I can find another bezel for this thing. GRRRRRR. 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠

Attachments

• 0804161620-00.jpg
    Filename
    0804161620-00.jpg
    File size
    375.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 0804161619-04.jpg
    Filename
    0804161619-04.jpg
    File size
    518.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 0804161619-00.jpg
    Filename
    0804161619-00.jpg
    File size
    545.47 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 13175 of 52694, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Brickpad wrote:

EXTREMELY frustrated and disappointed right now! That beautiful PS/2 I purchased was severely damaged as the seller neglected to provided sufficient packing material on the bottom of the box. The sides and top had some cushioning. The case was barely wrapped in bubble wrap, the small bubbles too, not the large ones, and so was the bottom of the box. Probably only about 1/4" worth of packing. The floppy drive looks like it was damaged as well. Everything else looks ok, but this is unacceptable! I'll be lucky if I can find another bezel for this thing. GRRRRRR. 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠

Yep some sellers are real fuck jobs when it comes to packing and shipping! It is getting worse and have been cutting back because of that. Honestly I would be full triggelypuff on that seller big time and definitely file a claim!

Wish there was a site somewhere dedicated to shaming sellers the world over, even newegg has pulled this crap on me in the past.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 13176 of 52694, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nforce4max wrote:
Brickpad wrote:

EXTREMELY frustrated and disappointed right now! That beautiful PS/2 I purchased was severely damaged as the seller neglected to provided sufficient packing material on the bottom of the box. The sides and top had some cushioning. The case was barely wrapped in bubble wrap, the small bubbles too, not the large ones, and so was the bottom of the box. Probably only about 1/4" worth of packing. The floppy drive looks like it was damaged as well. Everything else looks ok, but this is unacceptable! I'll be lucky if I can find another bezel for this thing. GRRRRRR. 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠

Yep some sellers are real fuck jobs when it comes to packing and shipping! It is getting worse and have been cutting back because of that. Honestly I would be full triggelypuff on that seller big time and definitely file a claim!

Wish there was a site somewhere dedicated to shaming sellers the world over, even newegg has pulled this crap on me in the past.

Yeah, really. I mean what the shit? How hard was it to put some extra packing on the BOTTOM of the box, of all places?! Thankfully, and by some miracle, nothing else is damaged. Just the front bezel. The floppy drive looks ok, and it boots right up to error 162 and 1780. If I can find another bezel, this will be ok. But dammit, whenever I sell computers or cases, I always, ALWAYS sufficiently pack everything with peanuts, foam, bubble wrap, and at least 2-3 inches worth of cushioning.

Reply 13177 of 52694, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Really sorry to hear that. I'll have to replace the bezel on my HP Vectra as some of the clips are bust and it's now held on with parcel tape, but that wasn't due to a crappy seller. Hope the chassis itself isn't too badly damaged and that everything in the PS/2 still works!

Reply 13178 of 52694, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lukeno94 wrote:

Really sorry to hear that. I'll have to replace the bezel on my HP Vectra as some of the clips are bust and it's now held on with parcel tape, but that wasn't due to a crappy seller. Hope the chassis itself isn't too badly damaged and that everything in the PS/2 still works!

Thanks. By some miracle nothing else is damaged. Not even the plastic base. The computer booted right up without a problem, minus the typical error codes. It's just the bezel itself that is broken. The floppy bezel and secondary drive blank is fine too.

Reply 13179 of 52694, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Brickpad wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:

Thanks. By some miracle nothing else is damaged. Not even the plastic base. The computer booted right up without a problem, minus the typical error codes. It's just the bezel itself that is broken. The floppy bezel and secondary drive blank is fine too.

Still inexcusable. You need to get at least a partial refund if the seller has any integrity.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks