VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 13181 of 52969, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

Still inexcusable. You need to get at least a partial refund if the seller has any integrity.

The seller apologized, and offered a full refund without question, and to keep the computer. The sad part of this is is that it was packed very well around the side and top of the shell, but not the bottom. I don't know if sellers realize just how brutal FedEx, UPS, and USPS can be with packages. What a shame. Minus a small paint ship and a scratch here and there, the computer is (was) in perfect condition. The upside to all of this is that it still works. Now I'll have to find a bezel for it...if it can be found!

Reply 13182 of 52969, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love it! $20 is a good price!

tikoellner wrote:
Bought this vintage 486 today for 20USD: […]
Show full quote

Bought this vintage 486 today for 20USD:

(picture)

Inside: Shuttle vlb mobo, dx4-100, mb ram, trident 512kb graphics and some lousy ESS Audiodrive.

But the case is sweet and so fresh! My cousin used to have one like this with 386 inside. So many hours of Prehistorik, UGH!, Blues Brothers or Titus the Fox!

Lots to upgrade. I will stuff it with some of my best soundcards 😀

1982 to 2001

Reply 13183 of 52969, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, at least that is a positive side to the story. What a waste though 🙁

Brickpad wrote:

The seller apologized, and offered a full refund without question, and to keep the computer. The sad part of this is is that it was packed very well around the side and top of the shell, but not the bottom. I don't know if sellers realize just how brutal FedEx, UPS, and USPS can be with packages. What a shame. Minus a small paint ship and a scratch here and there, the computer is (was) in perfect condition. The upside to all of this is that it still works. Now I'll have to find a bezel for it...if it can be found!

1982 to 2001

Reply 13184 of 52969, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought a big lot of parts from somebody locally. Did cost me €75 euro but happy with what I got. 🤣
- 486 VLB QDI V4P895 SMT V5.0 mainboard
- Socket 5 abit AB-SM5 mainboard with a cyrix 6x86 PR166
- Super socket 7 mainboard (MVP3) with a P200mmx
- Slot 1 TriGem Napoli motherboard with a P3 500
- MSI Socket 370 motherboard MS-6178 with a celeron 700mhz

And two sis chipset based socket 478 mainboards with blown caps on them, although one still worked even with 3 blown

Next to that:
- 3x Trident 9000 isa vga cards with all 512kb
- 1x isa soundcard (probably aztech, have to peel some stickers off)
- 3x PCI nic for old pci slots
- 1x research card with a programmable com port on it (never saw one before)
- 1x old ide drive with headphone connection
- 1x old AT psu (working but have to open the unit up to check the caps/state)
- 1x old ATX psu (working but have to open the unit up to check the caps/state) with -5v line
- a box full of sdram/ddr/ddr2 and some edo/fpm memory, some very interesting ones between them. (IBM 2mb server memory?)
- Some little heatsinks for 386/486/Socket5/7/370
- Some ps/2 and com cables for mainboards
- 3x Socket 775 cpu - E6400 - Q6600 and what I think is a 651 P4

Will need to check some parts if and how they work completely. Three caps on the socket 370 board look a bit suspected with slightly bulging caps but for the rest only some dust on them.

Reply 13185 of 52969, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Brickpad wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

Still inexcusable. You need to get at least a partial refund if the seller has any integrity.

In this day and age, if it can't be found it can be 3D printed.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13186 of 52969, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a Dell Latitude CP M166ST for less than $25. Ordered a PCMCIA ethernet card for it too, everything under $30 shipped.

http://i.imgur.com/Kh8Xy3j.jpg

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 13187 of 52969, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a Quadro2 Pro (Geforce2 Pro) for $5 incl shipping.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13188 of 52969, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:

That's a fine card! Nicely built and better cooling than the GeForce. I believe it is actually the workstation equivalent of the GeForce2 Ti if I remember correctly.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 13189 of 52969, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
stamasd wrote:

That's a fine card! Nicely built and better cooling than the GeForce. I believe it is actually the workstation equivalent of the GeForce2 Ti if I remember correctly.

Online accounts differ as to which desktop card it's the equivalent to. Guess GPU-Z and some benchmarking will tell.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13190 of 52969, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

NF7-M_zps0rvi3qdv.jpg

Abit NF7-M turned up today. I had the NF7-S previously but can't seem to find it! Hoping this is just as good. Came complete with a Barton 2500+ & a 1Gb of 333 RAM. It looks brand new! £16 posted. Looking to see how it compares in speed to the Via based KT333 chipset.

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 13191 of 52969, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lukeno94 wrote:

Really sorry to hear that. I'll have to replace the bezel on my HP Vectra as some of the clips are bust and it's now held on with parcel tape, but that wasn't due to a crappy seller. Hope the chassis itself isn't too badly damaged and that everything in the PS/2 still works!

Took it apart today to have a look. The chassis survived as did everything else. I tested the floppy drive with a reference disk and it booted right up. Couldn't do much else with it as there is no hard drive, but probably best as that would have likely been damaged too. It really is a shame because this thing looks like it was tricked out with an Intel i287 FPU, and external floppy drive controller card. With the exception of typical dust, it was exceptionally clean inside.

Reply 13192 of 52969, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It ain't much, but today's flea market find is this Keytronic AT keyboard with the supposedly antistatic "MPR II" space bar. Date of manufacture 1997. This will do nicely for my new 486; I'd prefer one without Windows keys, but ya know...

IMG_20160806_142555990.jpg
Filename
IMG_20160806_142555990.jpg
File size
1.94 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13193 of 52969, by firev12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tikoellner wrote:
Show full quote

DSC_0892%203_zpspuyzsncd.jpg

Oh God, you're kidding.... That was the case of my first PC (486DX @ 40MHz), I really need to find one like this. And in perfect condition!! Anyone Greek around here? Remember "Ikaros PC"??

Reply 13194 of 52969, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
firev12 wrote:
tikoellner wrote:
Show full quote

DSC_0892%203_zpspuyzsncd.jpg

Oh God, you're kidding.... That was the case of my first PC (486DX @ 40MHz), I really need to find one like this. And in perfect condition!! Anyone Greek around here? Remember "Ikaros PC"??

Yeah, this case is so delightfully generic for 386 and late 486 era... Many of my friends, and even my cousin had them, in a couple quite similar variations. I'm happy to have found one that looks like new 20 years later!

The case being so generic boosts my nostalgia.

Reply 13195 of 52969, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well.... Today, I was on a roadtrip to Flensburg in Germany. Going to Germany, is a kind of retro-shopping activity for the Danes.
The trip was around 300 kilometers each way, so we had lunch in Germany. We left at 8am, came home at 11pm.
There I found these two items. 100 CD-R in a spindle (15 US Dollars) and one litre of beer. The kind of beer my father used to buy.
The beer is not exactly computerstuff, though it has some cool viking artwork. Thor and Odin. (The usual suspect's)
It's kind of cool that I can still find cd's in a food-store. I really thought that this is a special item these day's.

Attachments

• CD-And-Beer.jpg
    Filename
    CD-And-Beer.jpg
    File size
    118.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by brostenen on 2016-08-06, 22:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13196 of 52969, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:
Well.... Today, I was on a roadtrip to Flensburg in Germany. Going to Germany, is a kind of retro-shopping activity for the Dane […]
Show full quote

Well.... Today, I was on a roadtrip to Flensburg in Germany. Going to Germany, is a kind of retro-shopping activity for the Danes.
There I found these two items. 100 CD-R in a spindle (15 US Dollars) and one litre of beer. The kind of beer my father used to buy.
The beer is not exactly computerstuff, though it has some cool viking artwork. Thor and Odin. (The usual suspect's)
It's kind of cool that I can still find cd's in a food-store. I really thought that this is a special item these day's.

I don't know about your part of the world, but over here in Texas, USA, all of the local "Brick and mortar" retail stores like best buy, walmart, Fry's, all sell blank CD-R's in all sorts of sizes still. I don't think they ever stopped. Usually a 100-spindle of blanks like that is about $5 - $7 here, depending on the sale running at the time.

Reply 13197 of 52969, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kithylin wrote:
brostenen wrote:
Well.... Today, I was on a roadtrip to Flensburg in Germany. Going to Germany, is a kind of retro-shopping activity for the Dane […]
Show full quote

I don't know about your part of the world, but over here in Texas, USA, all of the local "Brick and mortar" retail stores like best buy, walmart, Fry's, all sell blank CD-R's in all sorts of sizes still. I don't think they ever stopped. Usually a 100-spindle of blanks like that is about $5 - $7 here, depending on the sale running at the time.

In my town. I need to go to an electronics shop and pay 22 to 23 US Dollars for 10 blank CD's.
The price are this high, because nobody want's to use them and the shops have sized their inventory down.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13198 of 52969, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tikoellner wrote:

Yeah, this case is so delightfully generic for 386 and late 486 era... Many of my friends, and even my cousin had them, in a couple quite similar variations. I'm happy to have found one that looks like new 20 years later!

The case being so generic boosts my nostalgia.

I've been looking high and low for one of these cases and the few I have stumbled upon have been ridiculous priced. 😒

Reply 13199 of 52969, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^Maybe it's time to get someone to 3D scan the thing? I can easily see tens, hundreds of the same case waiting to be born. 😀

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)