VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 13380 of 52680, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BloodyCactus wrote:

NOS Gigabyte i-ram! I saw it in the background of a book on ebay so I asked the seller and bam, $5! Guess I need to work on parts for a newer build than my 8088+486.. got 4x 1gb sticks coming to fill it out. Battery is probably toast but I dont care about that.

Great deal! I've always wanted one of those RAM drives. There's a similar product by ACARD that backs up the RAM into a CF card when you power it off and restores it when you turn the computer back on.

CelGen wrote:

These three bundles of coax are the first step towards building a 10BASE5 network. Next up is sourcing the Vampire Taps.

That's really going retro. Kind of reminds be when we had DOOM LAN parties, except we used 10base2 with t-connectors, terminators, cheap ne2000 isa cards. No expensive hubs or switches required. Good times.

Reply 13381 of 52680, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Brickpad wrote:
Thanks! Unfortunately the seller does not ship to the US. Also, I searched that very model and that listing does not come up. It […]
Show full quote
Scraphoarder wrote:
Brickpad wrote:

Jealous here! I've been wanting to get my hands on one of those IBM servers for a while now, but they either can't be found, or sellers are asking ridiculous prices - one of which is going for $2,000US.

Maybe your lucky day? Just hunt down the missing parts.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-PS-2-Model-80-858 … =item1eb68d044d

Thanks! Unfortunately the seller does not ship to the US. Also, I searched that very model and that listing does not come up. It must have something to do with shipping.

sf78 wrote:

Really?! I was offered one of these for free 5 years ago, but the thing weighs a ton so I didn't bother with it. 😲

Yup. The listing is right here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-PS-2-9585-Tower-4 … aUAAOSwAvJW~FkQ

I personally think they're out of their minds. Sure, it comes with the 5.25" and CD-ROM drive, but there's no way one can justify that kind of price tag.

yea, that this is worth $200 shipped. That said, I REALLY want the cd rom bezel. Those things are practically unobtanium.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 13382 of 52680, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got this little devil in the mail today, 15 US Dollars shipped. Sold an AWE64 Value in order to make this happen.
Not bad, a soundcard for this. I made just enough from the soundcard to pay for the card and shipping.
It looks brand new and never used. I can't visually see any teethmarks on the AGP connector.
Though they appear on a photo, so it must, at least, have been tested in order to be sold.
And there is no trace of dust whatsoever on the card. I think this is my best deal this year so far. 😀

Attachments

• MatroxG400Max01.jpg
    Filename
    MatroxG400Max01.jpg
    File size
    113.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • MatroxG400Max02.jpg
    Filename
    MatroxG400Max02.jpg
    File size
    98.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • MatroxG400Max03.jpg
    Filename
    MatroxG400Max03.jpg
    File size
    66.41 KiB
    Views
    File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13383 of 52680, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:
Got this little devil in the mail today, 15 US Dollars shipped. Sold an AWE64 Value in order to make this happen. Not bad, a sou […]
Show full quote

Got this little devil in the mail today, 15 US Dollars shipped. Sold an AWE64 Value in order to make this happen.
Not bad, a soundcard for this. I made just enough from the soundcard to pay for the card and shipping.
It looks brand new and never used. I can't visually see any teethmarks on the AGP connector.
Though they appear on a photo, so it must, at least, have been tested in order to be sold.
And there is no trace of dust whatsoever on the card. I think this is my best deal this year so far. 😀

Really like the G400Max, great card for the time. Just a shame about it's OpenGL Performance. Great image quality and good DirectX performance. On par with the TNT2 Ultra I think.

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 13384 of 52680, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
foey wrote:

Really like the G400Max, great card for the time. Just a shame about it's OpenGL Performance. Great image quality and good DirectX performance. On par with the TNT2 Ultra I think.

Gotten the card, in order to get closer to finish my collection of 1999 cards.
I am still missing some cards in order to complete what I regard as great cards.

Right now I am thinking, if I should get rid of some more hardware and use the
money to get a V3-3000 or Banshee.

I don't know about G400-Max performance. I tested it in my P-III-500 a couple of minutes ago.
It is flying in UT99 and NFS-Porche. One heck of a card. Love it.
It really shines on the VGA signal strength, and the image quality is top notch.
I know it can crank out more. What might be the sweet spot for G400-Max.

Reply 13385 of 52680, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BloodyCactus wrote:
NOS Gigabyte i-ram! I saw it in the background of a book on ebay so I asked the seller and bam, $5! Guess I need to work on part […]
Show full quote

NOS Gigabyte i-ram! I saw it in the background of a book on ebay so I asked the seller and bam, $5! Guess I need to work on parts for a newer build than my 8088+486.. got 4x 1gb sticks coming to fill it out. Battery is probably toast but I dont care about that.

Tn4zNnAh.jpg

Wow.. I like it 😁

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 13386 of 52680, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CelGen wrote:

These three bundles of coax are the first step towards building a 10BASE5 network. Next up is sourcing the Vampire Taps.

Hahahaha takes me back to 2001 or so when I set a 10b5 network to play with some *old* Microdyne Exos205 cards... only AAUI and coax connectors, and good luck finding AAUI transceivers even back then...

I think I may still have some taps and terminators somewhere (God knows where, it would probably take me weeks to find them).

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13387 of 52680, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dammit, I can't stop buying classic CoolerMaster Cases 🤣 I think this completes my collection for now.

ATCs-201-2_zpsnvum98wg.jpg

ATCs-201_zpsjhe3jwmo.jpg

This may house my Athlon X2 3800+ build. However, just a little worried about the 80mm rear fan being a tad small.

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 13388 of 52680, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I looked for a micro-ATX 875P motherboard to play around with. That is a very limiting restriction, and it turns out that they end up typically being industrial boards. But I found a "P4CMX-01" motherboard. Information for this thing is rather scarce aside from the Corvalent source themselves, but the eBay seller claims it's new. Based on the contents of the guide, it should have an ICH5 southbridge, which will suit my requirements nicely.

This is the listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222221573050

This is the PDF guide:
ftp://support.corvalent.com/P4CAX-P4CMX/Docs/MN-P4CMX-01.pdf

I'll report my findings.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 13389 of 52680, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SaxxonPike wrote:
I looked for a micro-ATX 875P motherboard to play around with. That is a very limiting restriction, and it turns out that they e […]
Show full quote

I looked for a micro-ATX 875P motherboard to play around with. That is a very limiting restriction, and it turns out that they end up typically being industrial boards. But I found a "P4CMX-01" motherboard. Information for this thing is rather scarce aside from the Corvalent source themselves, but the eBay seller claims it's new. Based on the contents of the guide, it should have an ICH5 southbridge, which will suit my requirements nicely.

This is the listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222221573050

This is the PDF guide:
ftp://support.corvalent.com/P4CAX-P4CMX/Docs/MN-P4CMX-01.pdf

I'll report my findings.

By then pics and looking the southbridge size, this motherboard doesn't have the ICH5, rather the server variant of it (ICH5R though) which is the Intel 6300ESB which provides PCI-X slots as well. The 6300ESB despite begin designed for Xeon chipsets, it can be paried theorically with any chipset which supports the ICH5. I remember seeing the 6300ESB beging paried mostly with 875P or even the mobile chipset i855GM which is desiged for Pentium M

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 13390 of 52680, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Its been a while since I've posted (house building, etc).

I stopped by my local university surplus store, found a SB16 SCSI card for $1. Nice find, since my other SB16 SCSI card died after a stray rivet from the old case found its way onto the PCB while transportation and killed it when I turned the computer on.

$1 replacement works for me! Funny though, the dead SB16 SCSI card, the SCSI still works! Just the sound card portion of it doesn't. Maybe someone here wants to fix it? 🤣

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 13391 of 52680, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Carlos S. M. wrote:

By then pics and looking the southbridge size, this motherboard doesn't have the ICH5, rather the server variant of it (ICH5R though) which is the Intel 6300ESB which provides PCI-X slots as well. The 6300ESB despite begin designed for Xeon chipsets, it can be paried theorically with any chipset which supports the ICH5. I remember seeing the 6300ESB beging paried mostly with 875P or even the mobile chipset i855GM which is desiged for Pentium M

Thanks for the information! This is incredibly helpful.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 13392 of 52680, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

Bought a 2920XM for $140 today. 🤣

Will upgrade my W520 with it.

Nice score! Just be warned that proc puts out a lot of heat and it will peg all 4 cores to 3.2ghz turbo until you load it down regardless of temps. Had to turn the turbo off on mine to keep the thermals in check because it would go into the upper 90s while playing games.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 13393 of 52680, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^on throttling, I used ThrottleStop for that purpose. Great tool. I had to use it to prevent both the GPU and CPU overheating at the same time (which would immediately triggered a safety shut off -- a known issue with ASUS G73 series). But since I blew and vacuumed the intake and exhaust vents it's been doing great and even now with Win10 I don't have to run the tool anymore.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 13394 of 52680, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This ThinkPad T41 came in today, i thought it looked to good to toss it.
Xptu4Wul.jpg
kMkgKEV.jpg
CxXSKIT.jpg
1Pppw8n.gif
It was barrely used for a study, that's why it's in a good condition except for a huge sticker on the front which is removeable with patience i guess.
I have no idea yet what to do with it though.

My YouTube Channel

Reply 13395 of 52680, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought my step-mother a cheap used fx4100 to upgrade her old unlocked Sempron 145. Should make a great bday present

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 13396 of 52680, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FuzzyLogic wrote:

That's really going retro.

I'm one of those people who think that "retrocomputing" on a P4 "retro rig" is absolute heresy. 😉

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 13397 of 52680, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I might have overpaid for this a bit, especially since I don't really know what to do with it 😀 But it is cool because it's so complete! I'm not sure if the CD belongs with it though. I paid about 20 euro including shipping.

OpFBaaol.jpg

EZNXjNwl.jpg

zqrmSMUl.jpg

kjvI5YEl.jpg

iMBhkdIl.jpg

19umJvRl.jpg

52EFJPul.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 13398 of 52680, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Solarstorm wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/Xptu4Wul.jpg I have no idea yet what to do with it though. […]
Show full quote

Xptu4Wul.jpg
I have no idea yet what to do with it though.

They are great, those old machines. I have one like that, with XP that are for my children.
I have another one with one gig of ram and sempron mobile with Xubuntu installed on.
Though it is a Packard Bell instead.

Good find never the less.

Reply 13399 of 52680, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:
I might have overpaid for this a bit, especially since I don't really know what to do with it :) But it is cool because it's so […]
Show full quote

I might have overpaid for this a bit, especially since I don't really know what to do with it 😀 But it is cool because it's so complete! I'm not sure if the CD belongs with it though. I paid about 20 euro including shipping.

OpFBaaol.jpg

EZNXjNwl.jpg

zqrmSMUl.jpg

kjvI5YEl.jpg

iMBhkdIl.jpg

19umJvRl.jpg

52EFJPul.jpg

😜 😜 😜