Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 13601 of 52615, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@TheAbandonwareGuy

Nope. That gpu cooler pretty much is worth what you paid for everything. Those things are AMAZING. I paid about $40 for one for my 850xt.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 13602 of 52615, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

@TheAbandonwareGuy

Nope. That gpu cooler pretty much is worth what you paid for everything. Those things are AMAZING. I paid about $40 for one for my 850xt.

Uhm...... when was that cooler worth 40 dollars?

Just searching eBay somebody has 10 of them NoS selling them for 3 dollars a piece (with 8 for shipping)

P.S.: Thank you to whichever admin resized my images.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 13603 of 52615, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Uhm...... when was that cooler worth 40 dollars? […]
Show full quote
luckybob wrote:

@TheAbandonwareGuy

Just searching eBay somebody has 10 of them NoS selling them for 3 dollars a piece (with 8 for shipping)

ok there are a lot on ebay now... wow. a year ago when i got mine I watched for weeks to find one. yay, i guess?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 13604 of 52615, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Uhm...... when was that cooler worth 40 dollars? […]
Show full quote
luckybob wrote:

@TheAbandonwareGuy

ok there are a lot on ebay now... wow. a year ago when i got mine I watched for weeks to find one. yay, i guess?

Maybe because you were (I assume) looking for the ATI version? Unless you ran an NV fit cooler on an ATI card......

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 13605 of 52615, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Received the AsRock 775i65g r3.0. Works wonderfully in the mATX case. Dropped an E6700 in it and it works great. I applied Win98 USP3, and despite there being 2GB installed in the machine, Windows only shows ~875MB. *shrug*

I also received a HT845ISA/1 board. Despite being advertised as mATX, the board is a couple millimeters too wide to fit inside my mATX case. It was a purchase from AliExpress, and there's virtually no information about it online. When I return home, I'll test some cards on it in a larger case and report back. Arrived new with IO shield, which was nice. And, they left some sort of Celeron processor in it. The P4s I received (by accident) over the last few months are really piling up.

Also heard back from Corvalent about the P4CMX board. They want a lot more than I paid for the board to repair it. Going to try to fix it myself. It's a board I really want to keep- the ability to assign IRQs per slot is really handy.

Snagged a replacement cooler for the FX 5700. While the Silencer would be really cool, it occupies a nearby slot and the slots in such a small case are valuable, so I went with a shallow copper heatsink + fan.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 13606 of 52615, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

@TheAbandonwareGuy

I bought it new for 15$, performance pcs still sell them. and there on ebay all the time for about 20$ or less BIN and shipped.

Think the savage 4 was a pro model, not sure. I know it was made by Diamond and has 32mb of ram.
and the savage2000 is a Diamond viper 2.
and if I recall the 5950 is a 256mb card.

Reply 13607 of 52615, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SaxxonPike wrote:

Received the AsRock 775i65g r3.0. Works wonderfully in the mATX case. Dropped an E6700 in it and it works great. I applied Win98 USP3, and despite there being 2GB installed in the machine, Windows only shows ~875MB. *shrug*

I am not really familiar with USP3, but I think you can edit the system.ini file and add this line to fix the RAM bug: MaxFileCache = 524288

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 13608 of 52615, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
I bought it new for 15$, performance pcs still sell them. and there on ebay all the time for about 20$ or less BIN and shipped. […]
Show full quote
luckybob wrote:

@TheAbandonwareGuy

I bought it new for 15$, performance pcs still sell them. and there on ebay all the time for about 20$ or less BIN and shipped.

Think the savage 4 was a pro model, not sure. I know it was made by Diamond and has 32mb of ram.
and the savage2000 is a Diamond viper 2.
and if I recall the 5950 is a 256mb card.

I did some quick googling. It looks like the S4 is a Diamond Stealth III S540 (only Savage Pro with 32MB of memory) and looks identical.

Reply 13609 of 52615, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CkRtech wrote:
SaxxonPike wrote:

I am not really familiar with USP3, but I think you can edit the system.ini file and add this line to fix the RAM bug: MaxFileCache = 524288

Thanks! That seems to have worked. There's not really a need for this amount of memory, but it's what I have on hand.

It turns out the cooler I bought for the 775 board was too large. Oops. Getting a low profile one. Also, my current cooler didn't come with the mounting bracket, so the pins are being held to the board using standoff screws from another box temporarily. Going to get that fixed when the parts arrive.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 13611 of 52615, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tokyoracer wrote:

Pretty oldskool card arrived today.

TsengLabs ET3000AF 8-bit ISA:

No kidding! That card looks sweet. Please let us know how it goes~

Tried to track down a manual for the HT845ISA/1 motherboard I mentioned earlier. Here's a picture of it (from the seller, but I verified what I received is identical)

ht845isa1.jpg
Filename
ht845isa1.jpg
File size
549.82 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I still can't be sure until I hook it up if it's G, GL or GV. Spec sheets disagree with each other. A manual I found has a model number not mentioned *anywhere*, but the board placement is exact- even the JP4 jumper that seems to have no explanation.

http://www.aimmertech.com/Files/others/AMI-I8 … -ISA_manual.pdf

The placement of the jumper is right next to the IR header, but I can't assume the two are related.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 13612 of 52615, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SaxxonPike wrote:
No kidding! That card looks sweet. Please let us know how it goes~ […]
Show full quote
tokyoracer wrote:

Pretty oldskool card arrived today.

TsengLabs ET3000AF 8-bit ISA:

No kidding! That card looks sweet. Please let us know how it goes~

Tried to track down a manual for the HT845ISA/1 motherboard I mentioned earlier. Here's a picture of it (from the seller, but I verified what I received is identical)

ht845isa1.jpg

I still can't be sure until I hook it up if it's G, GL or GV. Spec sheets disagree with each other. A manual I found has a model number not mentioned *anywhere*, but the board placement is exact- even the JP4 jumper that seems to have no explanation.

http://www.aimmertech.com/Files/others/AMI-I8 … -ISA_manual.pdf

The placement of the jumper is right next to the IR header, but I can't assume the two are related.

It only can be an 845G or 845GE since GL and GV doesn't support AGP slots

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 13613 of 52615, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Carlos S. M. wrote:

Perhaps having a video card in an AGP slot is not supported, but I have read about ADD card slots which look the same but only pass through the video from the internal graphics. I really hope that isn't the case with this one.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 13614 of 52615, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SaxxonPike wrote:
Carlos S. M. wrote:

Perhaps having a video card in an AGP slot is not supported, but I have read about ADD card slots which look the same but only pass through the video from the internal graphics. I really hope that isn't the case with this one.

ADD cards aren't supported on all AGPless chipsets as well if i'm sure. I only saw ADD cards copuled with chipsets with AGP support since PCI is too slow (i845/865GV and 845GL mobos has only PCI slots)

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 13615 of 52615, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought 3 more video cards. That makes 8 this week. More video cards than I've bought in all the rest of 2016.

First up. We have a x800 Pro AGP that was listed for 7 dollars non working. The seller said he wasn't sure if he had the right aux power. and tbh im confused as to what connector is on it. It looks like a PCI-E 6 pin connector with the top broken off on a AGP card. Weird. Anybody able to identify this? My hopes are that the seller didn't correctly hook in the aux power leading to "him not being able to get it to turn on and show video". I actually can't find another card with the same capacitor arrangement either. Looks like it might have been modded? idk

J1ujl70.jpg

and then we have some form of TNT2 Pro. Just a step below ultra and will do nicely until i get my hands on one. I mainly wanted this for some tests (A friend told me alot of DirectX6 cards don't render the walls in Jedi Knight 2 when in binoc's xD)

cs2cRQe.jpg

and then we have an EVGA TNT2 Vanta with a modded cooling assembly (Im hoping for a decent OC out of it. If that fails I'll probably relocate that cooler onto the TNT2 Pro or another card)

mRu2aTb.jpg

Reply 13616 of 52615, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Bought 3 more video cards. That makes 8 this week. More video cards than I've bought in all the rest of 2016.

First up. We have a x800 Pro AGP that was listed for 7 dollars non working. The seller said he wasn't sure if he had the right aux power. and tbh im confused as to what connector is on it. It looks like a PCI-E 6 pin connector with the top broken off on a AGP card. Weird. Anybody able to identify this? My hopes are that the seller didn't correctly hook in the aux power leading to "him not being able to get it to turn on and show video".

That's a 4-pin Berg connector. Same ones used on 3.5" floppy drives.

Last edited by Brickpad on 2016-09-09, 20:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13617 of 52615, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

First up. We have a x800 Pro AGP that was listed for 7 dollars non working. The seller said he wasn't sure if he had the right aux power. and tbh im confused as to what connector is on it. It looks like a PCI-E 6 pin connector with the top broken off on a AGP card. Weird. Anybody able to identify this? My hopes are that the seller didn't correctly hook in the aux power leading to "him not being able to get it to turn on and show video". I actually can't find another card with the same capacitor arrangement either. Looks like it might have been modded? idk

1st card is either a radeon 9500 or radeon 9700. There's no way that's an X800 card. The card uses a FDD power connector.
Here's a couple of 9700 cards from my collection:

UsI6Lktl.jpg q5KTBvzl.jpg

IPYWK4Tl.jpg

And here's what an X800/x850 looks like:

VOuLrWBl.jpg QknuRokl.jpg

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

and then we have some form of TNT2 Pro. Just a step below ultra and will do nicely until i get my hands on one. I mainly wanted this for some tests (A friend told me alot of DirectX6 cards don't render the walls in Jedi Knight 2 when in binoc's xD)

2nd card looks like a Compaq Riva TNT2 Ultra but if you look closely it reads CT5826 at the top of the card (at least that's what I can make out). It's definitely a Creative card, but it's a 16mb PRO model made for Gateway. They are passively cooled. Great card, but I would not run it w/o a fan - it gets hotter the a V3 3000. If it actually reads CT5823, then I'm mistaking and it's a Compaq TNT2 ultra.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

and then we have an EVGA TNT2 Vanta with a modded cooling assembly (Im hoping for a decent OC out of it. If that fails I'll probably relocate that cooler onto the TNT2 Pro or another card)

this card looks like a Riva TNT2 M64. I doubt evga made anything like that but I could be wrong. EVGA usually made higher end stuff back in the day. Vanta cards are usually fanless and have a tiny heatsink on top of the GPU - about half the one on the TNT2. Some didn't even have a heatsink. -> http://www.vgamuseum.info/images/vlask/nvidia/vantaltfb.jpg

Last edited by kanecvr on 2016-09-09, 20:21. Edited 8 times in total.

Reply 13618 of 52615, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

<snip>

That's a standard 4-pin Floppy power connector (small one). I own a couple of these ATI cards and that's the power connector they want and use. And yes they do require that power connection or it won't turn on to show video and will appear dead. So if the seller didn't know what kind of connector it uses, it's very possible it may work just they didn't know how to connect it. Good luck with that.

Reply 13619 of 52615, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
1st card is either a radeon 9500 or radeon 9700. There's no way that's an X800 card. The card uses a FDD power connector. Here' […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

1st card is either a radeon 9500 or radeon 9700. There's no way that's an X800 card. The card uses a FDD power connector.
Here's a couple of 9700 cards from my collection:

UsI6Lktl.jpg q5KTBvzl.jpg

IPYWK4Tl.jpg

And here's what an X800/x850 looks like:

VOuLrWBl.jpg QknuRokl.jpg

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

2nd card looks like a Compaq Riva TNT2 Ultra but if you look closely it reads CT5826 at the top of the card (at least that's what I can make out). It's definitely a Creative card, but it's a 16mb PRO model made for Gateway. They are passively cooled. Great card, but I would not run it w/o a fan - it gets hotter the a V3 3000. If it actually reads CT5823, then I'm mistaking and it's a Compaq TNT2 ultra.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

this card looks like a Riva TNT2 M64. I doubt evga made anything like that but I could be wrong. EVGA usually made higher end stuff back in the day. Vanta cards are usually fanless and have a tiny heatsink on top of the GPU - about half the one on the TNT2. Some didn't even have a heatsink. -> http://www.vgamuseum.info/images/vlask/nvidia/vantaltfb.jpg

There was another picture of the back and the label very clearly said "x800 pro". Maybe it's a 9800 Pro?

EDIT:
(Cropped off half to make it fit the forum)
qtIhWHn.jpg

Last edited by TheAbandonwareGuy on 2016-09-09, 20:32. Edited 1 time in total.