Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 13880 of 52868, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

My 4600, Optiplex 760, and Optiplex 330 all use standard ATX.

As does my Optiplex GX270 I think - my AM2 Inspiron 531 most definitely did, and I'm pretty sure my dad's Dimension E521 did as well.

Reply 13881 of 52868, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lukeno94 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

My 4600, Optiplex 760, and Optiplex 330 all use standard ATX.

As does my Optiplex GX270 I think - my AM2 Inspiron 531 most definitely did, and I'm pretty sure my dad's Dimension E521 did as well.

also did the oposite, used an Optiplex GX280 PSU in a non Dell PC

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 13882 of 52868, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got back from a day of thrifting and while I didn't find a ton of interesting stuff, I did manage to find a Microsoft Mouse 2.0 new in the original box for $2.99. Could flip it on eBay for $20 but I might just keep it.

Microsoft Mouse 2.0.jpg
Filename
Microsoft Mouse 2.0.jpg
File size
141.11 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I also revisited these two Power Mac G5 towers that have been sitting on top of the "overpriced kitsch" display case for more than a month. They're priced at $600 each and they're not even quads, just 2GHz boxes with scuffs and scratches that are a hard sell for $150 on Craigslist.

Overpriced G5s.jpg
Filename
Overpriced G5s.jpg
File size
191 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

A month ago they were priced even higher at $800 each! Not sure what these people are smoking but they're going to have to drop these systems below $100 before they have any hope of selling.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

What's the story behind the biege one? I don't recognize that model (the rest are Dimension 4000's and a GX400 correct?)

As luckybob mentioned, that beige one is an HP Kayak, a dual P3 workstation circa 1999 built to run NT 4.0. It was given to me by a coworker and I'm not sure what to do with it as I already have a few dual P3 systems. It's a nice box though, built like a tank and it has a neat little LCD diagnostic panel on the front.

Last edited by SiliconClassics on 2016-09-25, 22:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 13883 of 52868, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SiliconClassics wrote:

I also revisited these two Power Mac G5 towers that have been sitting on top of the "overpriced kitsch" display case for more than a month. They're priced at $600 each and they're not even quads, just 2GHz boxes with scuffs and scratches that are a hard sell for $150 on Craigslist.

A month ago they were priced even higher at $800 each! Not sure what these people are smoking but they're going to have to drop these systems below $100 before they have any hope of selling.

Those are insane prices. I picked one of those for $50 on ebay about 6 months ago, and it was in better condition. The catch is that I had to pick it up but it wasn't too bad, about a 30min drive.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13886 of 52868, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:
SiliconClassics wrote:

Those are insane prices. I picked one of those for $50 on ebay about 6 months ago, and it was in better condition. The catch is that I had to pick it up but it wasn't too bad, about a 30min drive.

G5 prices will always be ever so slightly higher due to them being the last PowerPC based machines and the fact anything apple is collectable. Most Macs are dirt cheap right now though. I paid 25 each for my late 05 eMac with maxed out ram and Airport Wifi and my Bondie Blue iMac G3.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 13888 of 52868, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lukeno94 wrote:

Can't think of ANY vaguely mainstream computer of that vintage - or even significantly older - that is legitimately worth $600!

Agreed, but I actually did pay $600 a few years ago for a mint quad Power Mac with cinema display, both in original boxes, because I believe the quads will be legitimate collector's items someday. They were the final and most powerful model in the Power Mac series and their specs still sound current a decade later - four 2.5GHz cores, up to 16GB RAM, 16x PCI, etc. They'd still be usable today if Apple hadn't forced them into obsolescence.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 13889 of 52868, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They still are usable today, if you limit yourself to PowerPC software. Even browsing the web is pretty decent using solutions like TenFourFox.

Reply 13890 of 52868, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

8-bit Guy on Youtube had a longer video on the usability of the G5 PowerPCs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SqYMU81l8Y

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 13891 of 52868, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got some Slot 1 stuff (coincidentally around the same time from different sources).

A small Pentium III 500MHz desktop by Compaq. Slim-line CD player and the CPU is installed laying flat on the motherboard with passive cooling.
V8iCpNBl.jpg

KNP56B3l.jpg

And ATi Rage IIC AGP
0uY6IfGl.jpg

Two Pentium II 266MHz
yRgHIU7l.jpg

A Pentium III 450MHz
fWMNmV4l.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 13892 of 52868, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That CoolerMaster Slot 1 cooler is sooo useful! I ripped off all the stock coolers from my Slot 1 CPUs and just use the CoolerMaster 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 13893 of 52868, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SiliconClassics wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:

Can't think of ANY vaguely mainstream computer of that vintage - or even significantly older - that is legitimately worth $600!

Agreed, but I actually did pay $600 a few years ago for a mint quad Power Mac with cinema display, both in original boxes, because I believe the quads will be legitimate collector's items someday. They were the final and most powerful model in the Power Mac series and their specs still sound current a decade later - four 2.5GHz cores, up to 16GB RAM, 16x PCI, etc. They'd still be usable today if Apple hadn't forced them into obsolescence.

Awesome to have them boxed but those liquid cooling solutions have a bad reputation - might be worth removing and storing it separately to avoid damaging the motherboard if the hoses perish? I've got a quad 2.5 as well but that was a long shot $100 sight unseen purchase 😀 I am sweating on the condition of that LCS, haven't finished stripping it down yet.

Reply 13894 of 52868, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am searching about ten years for PowerMac G5, because I just love them, but if they are pricey in USA, in Europe they are worth their weight in gold... And they are not lightweight at all, and since I am student, well, good luck for me getting money 😁

Reply 13895 of 52868, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got an HP xw4300 motherboard, i can confirm it works with standard PSUs and cases

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 13896 of 52868, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I admit that I haven't really shown much interest in the Power Mac G5s simply because they can't run OS 9 natively, Classic Mode doesn't work flawlessly for a lot of old Mac OS games, and most OS X software tends to deprecate old versions quickly. They're stuck in a rather undesirable spot when it comes down to Mac gaming.

For me, the goal is still getting my hands on the Mirrored Drive Door Power Mac G4, simply because it'll handle anything from OS 9.2.2 all the way to OS X Leopard. If it's too new and powerful for any Classic Mac OS stuff, there's always my Power Mac 6500, which can roll all the way back to System 7.5.3 if needed.

Oh, and speaking of new purchases, I actually found a Realtek-based PCI Gigabit Ethernet card for $10 at the local Micro Center. Bought it, took a chance, and sure enough, it actually works in the 6500! Browsing the modern Web on it is a real exercise in patience and stability, but it gets me by just enough to put software too large for 1.44MB floppies on it without having to burn a CD-R every time.

Reply 13897 of 52868, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

@SiliconeClassics

OOOO!!! A HP KAYAK! Those are neat machines! Shame about the rest. Personally, I'd check for anything special and/or upgrades and recycle the remainders.

Wonder what's inside? Maybe a dual slot-1 or dual socket-8 board?

Definitely not a Slot-2 version as I think those actually have a power supply added externally to the bottom of the case.

Last edited by m1919 on 2016-09-26, 17:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 13898 of 52868, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SiliconClassics wrote:

I have one going into the dumpster, I had it to sometimes run MorphOS, but its so big useless.. weighs like 10000lbs so no good shipping it. ugh. so hard to get rid of these things.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 13899 of 52868, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BloodyCactus wrote:
SiliconClassics wrote:

I have one going into the dumpster, I had it to sometimes run MorphOS, but its so big useless.. weighs like 10000lbs so no good shipping it. ugh. so hard to get rid of these things.

I guess shipping outside US will cost more then Trumps small loan... Sigh...