Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 15180 of 52812, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

$15 got me this Gridcase 1520 last weekend:
It has a 286-12, 1MB of RAM, 20MB HDD and a plasma screen.

46KrksQ.png

iZqOwxx.png

OgEuZ2r.png

nNX8M5V.png

xB2YKrA.png

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 15181 of 52812, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hercules Dynamite VLB. Beautiful card. $15 shipped.

P1120673.JPG
Filename
P1120673.JPG
File size
884.69 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15182 of 52812, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All the mail brought today is a bunch of books (vintage electronics books... does that count?) and ordered a few IBM 5x86 chips. The Cyrix 5x86 and its IBM derivative are among my favorite CPUs.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 15183 of 52812, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My best buy ever, most rarest memory tester device i ever have found( i think its from the late 80s). And the best part of it is that its sold with all of the optional upgrade devices.. I dont know in which condition it is.. But finding all of those three devices included a nice price i would take a shot..

Iam already an owner of the innoventions simmcheck (for Sipp, and 30pin simms) (have two of them here, included the optional 72 pin simm upgrade device. (one needs a repair, the other works fine)
I have also got the innoventions simmcheck II with the optional SD-ram tester board.. (also perfect working condition)

Now i can add this to my collection:

i4o00y.jpg

Its for testing Dram Dip chips.

I need the tester to verify the memory chips from my laser XT/3 8086, i guess some could be faulty.. Iam really want to be 100 % sure that every memory chip is working fine.
It also could be handy to verify memory chips from graphic cards that using dram chips.

I have als bought an Creative AWE 64 GOLD soundcard.. I had only 2 here on stock.. But really need one or two more.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 15184 of 52812, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember that 1mb ram tester module, when I went to technical college in 93.
The white squares is what made me remember. 😉

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 15185 of 52812, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote:

She's a beaut!! Where'd you find her?

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 15187 of 52812, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Came this lot of untested AGP cards. All cards worked except the 6600GT which refused to POST in 4 PCs, paid 15 € for it

card list: upper, Geforce 4ti 4200
top left: Geforce 2 MX400, top right: Geforce 6600GT with Zalman cooler
bottom left: Radeon 9200 SE, bottom right: Geforce FX 5600XT

Attachments

• 20161216_113457.jpg
    Filename
    20161216_113457.jpg
    File size
    1.42 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    The cards
    File license

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 15188 of 52812, by kikenovic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote:

I played Alleycat in amber, orange and green. But in red, that's insane.

One of my favorite "PC speaker" games.

Reply 15189 of 52812, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Carlos S. M. wrote:
Came this lot of untested AGP cards. All cards worked except the 6600GT which refused to POST in 4 PCs, paid 15 € for it […]
Show full quote

Came this lot of untested AGP cards. All cards worked except the 6600GT which refused to POST in 4 PCs, paid 15 € for it

card list: upper, Geforce 4ti 4200
top left: Geforce 2 MX400, top right: Geforce 6600GT with Zalman cooler
bottom left: Radeon 9200 SE, bottom right: Geforce FX 5600XT

I've seen this lot in eBay a good number of times, I was tempted to buy it but always pass as I don't find any of the cards tempting enough to buy an untested lot; I'm glad nearly all worked for you (anyway, the Zalman cooler is worth more than the card nowadays 🤣 ).

Reply 15190 of 52812, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These beauties arrived today. They will soon be profiled in my wavetable sample thread.

P1120675.JPG
Filename
P1120675.JPG
File size
929.66 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 15191 of 52812, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sometimes on local auction site shows "box for buck" type deal, it could contain anything, usually it has crap inside. But one day I decided I want to dig through old stuff, so I bought one with computer stuff. Today it arrived and quite frankly, I was impressed. And because I love that "unboxing" type posts, I do one aswell, because I am sure there is some fools like me, especially here. 😀
Also, if you see that I have something really interesting and I just don't know about it, don't hesitate and tell me, I am idiot and I really like feedback. 😀

First what I pulled out of the box was these four cards.
P_20161217_111154_zpsdaqiurnp.jpg
Pretty basic stuff, nothing crazy. The amout of damage is on another level though. All does have somehow bent metal brackets. So I got out my portable bench vice and started straiting things up.
USB VIA card has broken off that small tab that goes into case and holds card in place and has some red permanent marker stains on pins. How? Who knows?
Second card is ATi Radeon 9200SE 128Mb RAM. From bottom it has dirt stuck to that. Nothing fancy.
Third one is ATi Rage 128 Pro and it is covered in some rock hard gunk and has corrosion on AGP slot pins. This card sure went through hell, I will be impressed if it still works.
And the last one is Manli GeForce2 MX-400 64Mb. It has completely seized fan, but interestingly enough about half a year ago I traded the same non-working one for S3 card for my ultimate P1 rig and I wisely keeped the cooler. So I will be swapping it, assuming it works.

Second batch! Yay!
P_20161217_115803_zpsr3p2rfum.jpg
Well, this stuff...
First one is some AverMedia TV card. Not only the bracket was bent, but even the card is twisted. Above that it is some sort of 2,5" IDE to SATA converter, but the SATA plug is broken off. Also there was a transistor (?) floating around the box.
Second, erm... thing... What the hell is that? On the bottom there is black gooey stuff, looks like residue from soldering flux or rosin. Maybe that is where that transistor came from? Maybe not, there are 8 pins.
Third - another AverMedia TV card. Bending is lot worse, it is way more twisted.
Last one from this batch - again, no idea. 8bit ISA port, wide spaced letters - could be from IBM 5150 or some clone from that era. Caps are interesting, but busted, so replacement before trying is unavoidable.

Third pack. Wa.. wa.. waaaait... Am I seeing correctly? No, that can't be... Yes, it is!
P_20161217_121545_zpsoffq70q5.jpg
Holy smokes, it is a freakin' Voodoo 1! Specificly it is A-Trend VD 100P version 1.0 4Mb from '98. I was searching for this card for ages. This is the first 3dfx card I ever possesed, so sure it now goes to my precious P1 rig!
Second - random generic PCI sound card.
Next is some WinFast TV card. Badly bent bracket, peeled caps - seriously, who did that?
Last - S3 Trio 3D. I have heard about it but I have no idea how good it is.

Hmm, now I am seeing bottom of the box. This is the second last.
P_20161217_122715_zpslsxb91w5.jpg
Genius Video Wonder Pro III. Another TV card. Meh...
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Digital. Pretty nice card, I like that!
SATA 1,5Gb/s RAID card with USBs and IDE port. This is neat! Haha, so funny. Commander Keen anyone? No one? OK, I will be quiet now. 😁
I believe this card and the previous one are fairly modern, am I right?
And the last one - oh boy, seriously, this is getting riddiculous. The bracket is bent to hell and the VGA port is trashed. It is nVidia GeForce 7500LE 128MB card licensed by Acer. I am sure VGA portion is now KO, at least until I find replacement VGA port with cable. Or it is dead completely, I don't know.d

Now I am getting worried if Vogons will allow me to post this freaking long post and if anyone is still reading this. It is the last one though!
P_20161217_123655_zpsua5p6qcz.jpg
Black box - Ultimately no idea what the hell is that. It is something by Patriot and I assume it is model IV?
Next - something with D-sub 9 port.
Two 72 pin SIMMs, I believe that it is nothing fancy. Bottom one says EDO on sticker, don't know what that means, but sure I heard it somewhere.
256MB SDRAM, dirty as hell, coroded chips legs, probably dead. Will clean that, but I don't expect it to be working.
Last one, for me sadly, for you maybe finally, it is some SDRAM made by IBM, but I am baffled with the fact it has old type of chips.

For those who is still reading I want to truly thank you, I just had the mood to write this and since I love this type of posts, I decided to try it myself.

Reply 15192 of 52812, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Recieved two small items.

ATX to AT psu converter cable, not that special.
And a VS1053b Music Shield. Time to build a homemade external MIDI synth for under 15 US Dollars.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 15193 of 52812, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
krivulak wrote:
Sometimes on local auction site shows "box for buck" type deal, it could contain anything, usually it has crap inside. But one d […]
Show full quote

Sometimes on local auction site shows "box for buck" type deal, it could contain anything, usually it has crap inside. But one day I decided I want to dig through old stuff, so I bought one with computer stuff. Today it arrived and quite frankly, I was impressed. And because I love that "unboxing" type posts, I do one aswell, because I am sure there is some fools like me, especially here. 😀
Also, if you see that I have something really interesting and I just don't know about it, don't hesitate and tell me, I am idiot and I really like feedback. 😀

First what I pulled out of the box was these four cards.

Pretty basic stuff, nothing crazy. The amout of damage is on another level though. All does have somehow bent metal brackets. So I got out my portable bench vice and started straiting things up.
USB VIA card has broken off that small tab that goes into case and holds card in place and has some red permanent marker stains on pins. How? Who knows?
Second card is ATi Radeon 9200SE 128Mb RAM. From bottom it has dirt stuck to that. Nothing fancy.
Third one is ATi Rage 128 Pro and it is covered in some rock hard gunk and has corrosion on AGP slot pins. This card sure went through hell, I will be impressed if it still works.
And the last one is Manli GeForce2 MX-400 64Mb. It has completely seized fan, but interestingly enough about half a year ago I traded the same non-working one for S3 card for my ultimate P1 rig and I wisely keeped the cooler. So I will be swapping it, assuming it works.

Second batch! Yay!

Well, this stuff...
First one is some AverMedia TV card. Not only the bracket was bent, but even the card is twisted. Above that it is some sort of 2,5" IDE to SATA converter, but the SATA plug is broken off. Also there was a transistor (?) floating around the box.
Second, erm... thing... What the hell is that? On the bottom there is black gooey stuff, looks like residue from soldering flux or rosin. Maybe that is where that transistor came from? Maybe not, there are 8 pins.
Third - another AverMedia TV card. Bending is lot worse, it is way more twisted.
Last one from this batch - again, no idea. 8bit ISA port, wide spaced letters - could be from IBM 5150 or some clone from that era. Caps are interesting, but busted, so replacement before trying is unavoidable.

Third pack. Wa.. wa.. waaaait... Am I seeing correctly? No, that can't be... Yes, it is!

Holy smokes, it is a freakin' Voodoo 1! Specificly it is A-Trend VD 100P version 1.0 4Mb from '98. I was searching for this card for ages. This is the first 3dfx card I ever possesed, so sure it now goes to my precious P1 rig!
Second - random generic PCI sound card.
Next is some WinFast TV card. Badly bent bracket, peeled caps - seriously, who did that?
Last - S3 Trio 3D. I have heard about it but I have no idea how good it is.

Hmm, now I am seeing bottom of the box. This is the second last.

Genius Video Wonder Pro III. Another TV card. Meh...
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Digital. Pretty nice card, I like that!
SATA 1,5Gb/s RAID card with USBs and IDE port. This is neat! Haha, so funny. Commander Keen anyone? No one? OK, I will be quiet now. 😁
I believe this card and the previous one are fairly modern, am I right?
And the last one - oh boy, seriously, this is getting riddiculous. The bracket is bent to hell and the VGA port is trashed. It is nVidia GeForce 7500LE 128MB card licensed by Acer. I am sure VGA portion is now KO, at least until I find replacement VGA port with cable. Or it is dead completely, I don't know.d

Now I am getting worried if Vogons will allow me to post this freaking long post and if anyone is still reading this. It is the last one though!

Black box - Ultimately no idea what the hell is that. It is something by Patriot and I assume it is model IV?
Next - something with D-sub 9 port.
Two 72 pin SIMMs, I believe that it is nothing fancy. Bottom one says EDO on sticker, don't know what that means, but sure I heard it somewhere.
256MB SDRAM, dirty as hell, coroded chips legs, probably dead. Will clean that, but I don't expect it to be working.
Last one, for me sadly, for you maybe finally, it is some SDRAM made by IBM, but I am baffled with the fact it has old type of chips.

For those who is still reading I want to truly thank you, I just had the mood to write this and since I love this type of posts, I decided to try it myself.

The Radeon 9200SE, Geforce 2 MX/400, S3 Trio3D, Voodoo 1 and that 7500LE may still work

That ATI Rage card is baddly damaged, so it'll likely not work

The 8-bit ISA card is an old Network card, the IBM stick might be an EDO DIMM, check it's capacity, that generic soundcard looks like a CMI-8738 based soundcard

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 15195 of 52812, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some stuff from Japan and elsewhere, a non working floppy drive for the Tecra, another PCMCIA soundcard, an old laptop, and some 8bit ISA cards for the XT.

IMG_4843.JPG
Filename
IMG_4843.JPG
File size
49.93 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_4842.JPG
Filename
IMG_4842.JPG
File size
95.39 KiB
Views
File license

The box wasn't shown in the auction picture for a very good reason, it reeks, as do the card and cables...

IMG_4847.JPG
Filename
IMG_4847.JPG
File size
52.43 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_4846.JPG
Filename
IMG_4846.JPG
File size
107.16 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_4857.JPG
Filename
IMG_4857.JPG
File size
137.91 KiB
Views
File license

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 15196 of 52812, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Might have more on the way. May end up keeping the SOYO and the soundblaster for my self and retro machine one day. I need to find a retro gaming forums where i can give this stuff away at cost of shipping with out getting banned. Thinkingoverclock.net and cross post the thread on to the vogons ebay links thread. Of course this is only the first batch, I think i have more agp cards on the way.

https://imgur.com/a/uA5zK

Reply 15197 of 52812, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Recently bought an Olivetti M24 (AT&T 6300) locally for about $50 US.
Came with the original Olivetti M24 monochrome monitor, the 102-key Olivetti keyboard, a Seagate ST-225 20 MB HDD, 360k floppy drive and a full 640KB of RAM (BIOS revision is 1.43).

WP_20161214_001.jpg
Filename
WP_20161214_001.jpg
File size
502.33 KiB
Views
File comment
Olivetti M24
File license

I'm currently trying to run an external monitor from the 8-bit Paradise VGA card that I plugged into the PC (after disabling the onboard graphics controller via the jumpers on the motherboard).
However, it's picking up my Philips 15" 105S7 CRT as a monochrome monitor and therefore only displays 80x25 monochrome text. Any game that I try to run just displays a blank screen.

I've also attached some pictures of the inside of the case.
Curious as to what the long interface & short interface cards are (I've circled the ones in question on the pic "Rear of case").

WP_001.jpg
Filename
WP_001.jpg
File size
650.61 KiB
Views
File comment
Inside of case - pic 01
File license
WP_20161217_003.jpg
Filename
WP_20161217_003.jpg
File size
593.27 KiB
Views
File comment
Inside of case - pic 02
File license
WP_20161217_004.jpg
Filename
WP_20161217_004.jpg
File size
502.84 KiB
Views
File comment
Rear of case
File license

In the last picture, is the one on the right perhaps some type of tape backup interface card?
The one on the left appears to be some type of parallel port interface card?

Reply 15198 of 52812, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I was going to buy a GRiD 386 laptop, but the I found this for a good deal on eBay of all places

Edit.
That's a sound blaster audigy 4 pro

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-12-18, 02:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15199 of 52812, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this for $69 + free shipping. Probably too much. I just wanted the case, not the stuff inside (Which I plan to test and sell...I hate Pentium 4s). Board is an Asus P4B533-VM, 1GB of RAM, and what looks to be a single bulging cap...which I'll fix.

Attachments

• ASUSP4B533VM.jpg
    Filename
    ASUSP4B533VM.jpg
    File size
    617.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg