VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 15740 of 52813, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ahhhh.... Now I understand that "Win2000 key" talk... Yeah. That's not the License key.
I was actually looking at the pictures to see if there was any sticker. I thought I was going blind.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 15742 of 52813, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blurks wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:
c0keb0ttle wrote:
IMG_1854.JPG

Thank for the free windows 2000 key!

That is a Windows ID, not the actual activation key.

^This

brostenen wrote:

Ahhhh.... Now I understand that "Win2000 key" talk... Yeah. That's not the License key.
I was actually looking at the pictures to see if there was any sticker. I thought I was going blind.

🤣 that's exactly what I was doing 😁

Nah you're not blind, but now we can all blackmail him into giving us some nice rare parts or else we'll report him to M$ 😜

Btw, I think I've gotten plenty keys just by buying second hand computers and removing those stickers which I always keep separate 😊

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 15743 of 52813, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Btw, I think I've gotten plenty keys just by buying second hand computers and removing those stickers which I always keep separate 😊

I probably shouldn't say this here.. but just look through ebay... people take clear photos of the bottom of laptops all the time and some of em don't bother to obscure the keys.

Reply 15744 of 52813, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

I probably shouldn't say this here.. but just look through ebay... people take clear photos of the bottom of laptops all the time and some of em don't bother to obscure the keys.

Are those keys actually locked to specific versions of Windows beyond the major release version? What I mean is: can I use a non-OEM key on a OEM version of Windows 95/98/NT/2000 (or the reverse), and can keys for one language version be used for another language version (e.g. US key on French-language Windows version)?

Reply 15745 of 52813, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:
kithylin wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Are those keys actually locked to specific versions of Windows beyond the major release version? What I mean is: can I use a non-OEM key on a OEM version of Windows 95/98/NT/2000 (or the reverse), and can keys for one language version be used for another language version (e.g. US key on French-language Windows version)?

Afaict OEM keys and Pro keys are not interchangeable. But there's another issue here: OEM keys from royalty OEMs seemed to be able to be used on a standard OEM disk, but it would not activate. I never really experimented so much with these that I know all the ins and outs, but it was still interesting to experiment around a bit with this 😜

And "stealing" keys like this is already a very old trick. It's the main reason I never liked the idea of putting the Windows sticker on any of my rigs as someone might simply take a pic of it while I'm in the kitchen and seeing my key flying across the internet! No thanks 🤣 😜

Last edited by Tetrium on 2017-02-08, 17:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Report spammers here!

Reply 15746 of 52813, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

Keys are language-independent if I remember correctly but bound to their version (OEM, non-OEM). You may notice the different syntax of these keys.

Reply 15747 of 52813, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, thanks both of you. That unfortunately means I have an additional hurdle beyond just finding the required foreign-language Windows that I need. I have an OEM key (from the Windows installation on the hard disk), but the actual OEM disks for my particular machine are basically impossible to source...

Reply 15748 of 52813, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Prior to XP, it matters not one jot really - you can use a key on an infinite number of machines and it won't affect anyone else.

XP onwards, then it becomes rather more of a dick move to start taking keys.

Reply 15749 of 52813, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some stuff that is newer than I am usually working with, so new stuff for me 😀 It was free!

Asus K8V-X
zjPidQ4l.jpg?1

Athlon 64 3200
icWbIBxl.jpg?1

With an enormous cooler:
R8Cb11el.jpg

HSlidVXl.jpg

And a Leadtek Winfast A250 Geforce4 Ti4200 64MB (with bad caps but a nice aftermarket cooler).
Q8cDnhVl.jpg

Black FDD and DVD
xX3nk3ol.jpg

This useful thing
31cFsyIl.jpg

And then some other stuff:

Some floppy disks, sealed
RBGqz8Ql.jpg

Two 'ultime' Pentium III's: Tualatin Pentium III-S 1.4GHz
4Vru3jbl.jpg?1

Cyrix MII 333GP in pristine state (unused maybe?)
247REdSl.jpg?1

1982 to 2001

Reply 15750 of 52813, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cyrix MII - what a beauty <3

Where can I find and buy this blue holders for Socket 7 (i dont know how they are called in english)?

Celeron Tualatin vs Celeron Conroe at equal clocks
Pentium Pro 256k vs Pentium Pro 1M vs Pentium II Overdrive!
VIA C3 vs VIA C7

My website all about old hardware

Reply 15751 of 52813, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kva wrote:

Where can I find and buy this blue holders for Socket 7 (i dont know how they are called in english)?

Thats a good question... I'm also trying to find some of theese... 😒

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 15752 of 52813, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Batyra wrote:
kva wrote:

Batyra, not anything to do with this question but you have a PM.

Reply 15753 of 52813, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Batyra wrote:
kva wrote:

That blue thing is a CPU tray, you can find them on ebay and/or other online stores

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 15754 of 52813, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Batyra wrote:
kva wrote:

Those are CPU trays. Imo these are the best way to store lots of CPUs.

Report spammers here!

Reply 15755 of 52813, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Some stuff that is newer than I am usually working with, so new stuff for me :) It was free! With an enormous cooler: http://i.i […]
Show full quote

Some stuff that is newer than I am usually working with, so new stuff for me 😀 It was free!
With an enormous cooler:
R8Cb11el.jpg

That's a Thermalright XP-120, a legendary cooler usually considered as the start of the "supercooler" era; in fact it was the first successful cooler with heatpipes and with an adequate fan it still is a pretty valid cooler today.
I'd love to have one, but usually people ask for them more than what they're worth.

Reply 15757 of 52813, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

As much as I like my k6 system, it needs another CPU!
So I bought a GA-6VXDC7! Yep dual 1.4ghz and isa! Daul bios! 2gb ram support! Agp 3.3v 4x!

Yeah I got bit by whatever bug that bit lucky bob!

Reply 15758 of 52813, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shiva2004 wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Some stuff that is newer than I am usually working with, so new stuff for me :) It was free! With an enormous cooler: ... <snip> […]
Show full quote

With an enormous cooler:
... <snip> ...

That's a Thermalright XP-120, a legendary cooler usually considered as the start of the "supercooler" era; in fact it was the first successful cooler with heatpipes and with an adequate fan it still is a pretty valid cooler today.
I'd love to have one, but usually people ask for them more than what they're worth.

Probably slightly off topic but I dunno where else to mention it so I'll mention it here.

Another "Legendary" cooler is The Cooler Msster GeminII S, the original (not the newer one). The newer revised one is shite and doesn't do very well at all. The older one however, is -FANTASTIC- and I have about 3 of em in the house and I won't ever let go of em. If you find the newer adapter plates and change out the adapter plates, they're compatible with Intel Sockets for LGA-1366,1150, 1155, and even 2011. I've used one of mine with an x58 i7 quad core chip (1366) @ 4.2 ghz before just fine. I have one currently on my 775 system cooling my quad core harpertown 12MB chip @ 3.75 ghz with heavy voltage (like 1.5v) just fine. I've cooled my 3770k chip with one before @ 4.6 ghz. I've had one for a while on a friend's x99 six-core haswell chip and handled that @ 4.4 ghz just fine. Let a friend borrow it until he bought an AIO water cooler later. They're also have mounting brackets to be compatible with AMD 939, AM2, and AM3.

An example of what they are so you know what to look for: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131839340260 They can be commonly found on ebay for like $30 or less.

The newer adapter plates I refer to essentially are any modern cooler master copper heatpipe cooler, they all use the same mounting holes. And can be transferred back to these older ones.

Reply 15759 of 52813, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I splurged.

I picked up a x850xt agp
2gb (512x4) cl2 sdr ram.
2 cooler master dream heatsink for sk370 (take 80mn fans)
2 1.4ghz piii-s