Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

My precious *strokes small plastic boxes in an indecent way*

My precious.jpg

Nice! Already have any plans for those? 😀

I bought them for my Intel PR440FX NT4 dual system.

Some pictures seem to have gone missing.
Intel PR440FX Dual Pentium Pro 200

I actually just bought another Intel PR440FX motherboard to use as a single CPU board for some benchmarks, fun and games as it's one of few Socket 8 boards with FSB overlocking even if it's only 70 MHz FSB. I dont want to mess too much with the NT4 system as it's a completed working build. I will upgrade the NT4 systems memory to 1GB when I install the CPUs, if the board likes the IBM branded 60ns 256MB sticks I found that is.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 15842 of 52813, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NICE!

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 15845 of 52813, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
mrau wrote:
blurks wrote:
https://abload.de/img/0001b5sib.jpeg […]
Show full quote

0001b5sib.jpeg

is that the ti500?

It's a 3dfx Voodoo 5 5500.

Reply 15848 of 52813, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not bought. But gotten under a business agreement with my local thrift store.

2 complete PCs.
3 Carts
2 VCRs
HP PS2 keyboard.

The first machine is a AT chassis containing a MSI MS5156 motherboard, a Pentium MMX 166, 32MB of EDO, an S3 Virge VX, a 1.2GB Seagate hard disk, and a 4x creative CD drive. Tested and works fine, not a damn thing wrong with it. Will be inheriting my dead DEC XL590s Sound blaster 16 CT1740 and become my main dos machine once I find a keyboard or a way to use my PS2 keyboard with this weird full size connector (looks like an oversized PS2 port) since it lacks PS2 for keyboard.

The 2nd is a eMachinea T3990 with a Celeron D @ 2.8GHZ . Not impressive enough to go into detail as it will likely be parted out and used for parts. Power supply is rusted and the case kinda damage. Hard drive and ram may be all I get from it.

The monitors we're (as of now all untested):

Gateway2000 CrystalScan 17" (1280x1024)
Unknown Model Imagetron 15" (Unknown)
Compaq S5500 15" (1024x768)

The two VCRs were both decentish Magnavox models. Might use them, might not. Really hoping that crystalscan monitor works when I test it tomorrow but I think it may have been rained on before I got to it so I don't know.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 15850 of 52813, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

Probably an 5 pin din port. Otherwise know as an AT keyboard port. Your need an ps/2 to AT adaptor.

Yeah i just realized this means the case is signifigantly older than the motherboard is in all likely hood (the motherboard has USB which is connected to a USB thing I cant think of a good term for) and if i wanted to i could probably switch the mouse ports header over to the keyboard header on the motherboard. That being said I'm not terribly good with AT's as is obvious so i'm trying to keep myself from tinkering with it too much as the last time i tinkered with an AT style machine I killed it by accident (RIP DEC XL590).

Enough about this machine. I guess I'll make it its own thread later when I actually feel like typing that much.

Besides first priority is testing those monitors to see if any of them actually work. They take up alot of space so I kinda need to get to that. Praying to god that CrystalScan monitor works as I know for a fact thats a very high end CRT designed for professional use. Would make a very nice improvement over my current DOS CRT which is an AST Research VGA with all manual controls. The Compaq monitor in all honesty may get the boot whether it works or not on account of it being low end garbage even when it was new. I can't see it being in very good shape either given the amount of abuse computers and monitors from that price tier got back then. I literally know nothing about the Imagetron as I haven't gotten around to even googling its model number yet. Looks like it might be semi-decentish though based on its design and construction. I'm trying to avoid accumulating a boat load of garbage CRTs.

On a sidenote I also was offered several high end widescreen CRT TV's including a Daewood 1080i model never used for free by the owner of a furniture store who had them in his shed for like 10 years. If i had the space.... or the strength to lift them....

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 15851 of 52813, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

Probably an 5 pin din port. Otherwise know as an AT keyboard port. Your need an ps/2 to AT adaptor.

Yeah i just realized this means the case is signifigantly older than the motherboard is in all likely hood (the motherboard has USB which is connected to a USB thing I cant think of a good term for) and if i wanted to i could probably switch the mouse ports header over to the keyboard header on the motherboard.

Or it's just a system aimed at more industrial or server solutions where at the time an AT port would not have been strange, considering the much longer life cycles. Furthermore, boards that can use a P166 MMX with USB (probably 1.0) date back to when the port was first introduced in the mid-1990s, a time at which a AT-connector would have been somewhat unusual but not unheard of.

What would be rather unusual is if the port was not soldered to the main board, but really part of the case...

Reply 15852 of 52813, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought this neat VLB caching controller yesterday (paid e-bay price 🙁):

_57_zpstbedayzs.jpg

It's Longshine LCS-6941 Rev. C.

I decided to get it to brake my ASUS VL/I-486SVGO hdd size limit (504mb). Unfortunaltelly it does not support CD-ROM, but I don't care much about it.

Hope it will support LBA. I found some bios update and software that is said to add LBA support (here: http://manual.longshine.de/5_Old_Product_Driv … /1st-readme.txt. For now I have no idea how to implement it, but we'll see (some ideas?)

I know that caching controllers are controvesial as to their speed and reliability, but I consider it a pretty nice add-on to my 100% period correct wanna-be high-end 486 DX2 66 build (pictured below; I will post some built photos soon):

IMG_0333_zpsp99z55zh.jpg

Reply 15854 of 52813, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Batyra wrote:

Nice! And that F-19... I've played this game long, long time ago on my 486sx 33...

The 8 year old me had the game completely figured out and would pick the perfect load-out to complete any mission thrown at him.

The adult me tried it recently and gave up after a few hours 🤣

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 15855 of 52813, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

F-19 was my first simulation game ever and I'm overwhelmed with nostalgia everytime I look at this pretty box or hear the intro tune 😀 All Microprose issues are superb. Thick manuals, maps, all that stuff.

Reply 15856 of 52813, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this SoundBlaster 16 Vibra CT2940 today for 100 RUB (less than 2USD):

2017-02-15 20.23.35.jpg
Filename
2017-02-15 20.23.35.jpg
File size
2.05 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I've actually had three CT2940s before, but this one has an OPL3 chip. Looks like this model is one of the two VOGONS' favorite SB16s — the other being CT2230. And I think, for a good reason.

I've already put it into my P60 build where it replaced the extremely noisy CT2700 (the only other SB16 I own that has both OPL3 and Waveblaster header). The sound quality of CT2940 is INCREDIBLE compared to that card.

Now, I've searched this forum for reports on the hanging note bug in CT2940 and got a 50/50 result. However, I can say that I've already encountered some high-pitched notes in Doom E1M1 using a DreamBlaster X2. Well, CT2700 is DSP 4.11 and is supposed to have the bug, too. It's just that I could never hear it because of all the noise. 🤣 Then again, I have a dedicated Yamaha SW60XG installed in that machine which can't be affected by the bug.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 15857 of 52813, by dieymir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tikoellner wrote:
I bought this neat VLB caching controller yesterday (paid e-bay price :(): […]
Show full quote

I bought this neat VLB caching controller yesterday (paid e-bay price 🙁):

_57_zpstbedayzs.jpg

It's Longshine LCS-6941 Rev. C.

It's allmost identical to my Promise DC4030VL but mine has an AMD 286@12Mhz processor. I also have 4MB of memory installed on it.

tikoellner wrote:

Hope it will support LBA. I found some bios update and software that is said to add LBA support (here: http://manual.longshine.de/5_Old_Product_Driv … /1st-readme.txt. For now I have no idea how to implement it, but we'll see (some ideas?)

Mine does not have the LBA BIOS but I know that Promise offered this upgrade long time ago. Yours seems to be modern so maybe it supports LBA. I'm also interested in knowing if there is any way to upgrade this card BIOS to have LBA support.

tikoellner wrote:

I know that caching controllers are controvesial as to their speed and reliability, but I consider it a pretty nice add-on to my 100% period correct wanna-be high-end 486 DX2 66 build (pictured below; I will post some built photos soon):

I'm using it on a 486DX2 also. I have installed PTS-DOS to overcome the 528MB limit (this DOS supports disk >1024 cyls. out of the box) but I have to disable the Promise BIOS or it will severely corrupt data. Currently I'm using the card in write back (turbo) mode with the mainboard AMI WinBIOS Initially I have concerns about this but it rocks!!

IMG_0333_zpsp99z55zh.jpg[/quote]
Wow!! this is exactly like the case of my first PC!! an AMD 386@40Mhz

Reply 15859 of 52813, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got an IBM KB-8923 keyboard. It's super clean. Gonna use it on my main desktop.

The Vectra has an HP C3758A keyboard which is made by Keytronics. Not mechanical but very good.

Attachments

• 20170215_143039.jpg
    Filename
    20170215_143039.jpg
    File size
    404.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20170215_143038.jpg
    Filename
    20170215_143038.jpg