Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 16180 of 52700, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Man you guys with your 1000+ dollar speaker sets are depressing....

All I've got are a pair of Yamaha NS6490's with a in-chain Yamaha YST-SW005 (one of those resonator chamber models) and some crappy all in on HiFi amp from Phillips Magnavox. Granted my system sounds quite good (I prefer my system over what they have in current theaters around me, mostly AMCs) but damn I can only imagine how bad it would sound compared to those things.

And here I am with my $20 RCA "home theater audio video receiver rt2600" (with the fans being noisy bearings inside and I'm too lazy to replace em) and a pair of 50-watt sony shelf speakers I got for $5 each.. all 3 at a goodwill store. Oh and a RCA powered subwoofer on the floor I got for $15 from a different thrift store. I don't know if it's considered retro or not 😁

Reply 16182 of 52700, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got myself a Razer Boomslang 2000, as far as I know this is the first (or one of the first) gaming mice back in 2000.

IMG_20170312_103020032_zpsqtxlajip.jpg

While it looks like the batmobile, playing Quake2 with a 2000dpi mouse on a PIII machine is quite cool , it even comes with a USB to PS/2 adapter, Though Im not sure whether to use it or simply use the native USB.

Reply 16184 of 52700, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Darkman wrote:
Got myself a Razer Boomslang 2000, as far as I know this is the first (or one of the first) gaming mice back in 2000. […]
Show full quote

Got myself a Razer Boomslang 2000, as far as I know this is the first (or one of the first) gaming mice back in 2000.

IMG_20170312_103020032_zpsqtxlajip.jpg

While it looks like the batmobile, playing Quake2 with a 2000dpi mouse on a PIII machine is quite cool , it even comes with a USB to PS/2 adapter, Though Im not sure whether to use it or simply use the native USB.

I still have my Boomslang 1000 and I used mine for years! 😁
It doesn't work properly anymore as the mouse keys don't work well anymore and the ball isn't perfectly round but I ended up preferring this mouse over all earlier optical ones. I completely wore mine out using it and it was one heck of a ride! Have fun! 😁

edit: I actually went up and got it. I remember some of its flaws, the scroll wheel was buggy in that it switching was not calibrated very well (it would activate the scroll right before or only after a "click" and then a bit) and I ended up disabling the side buttons as I continuously kept clicking them by accident 🤣

If the large mouse buttons start to get non-responsive, you can kinda bend them back a little but I already did so many repairs on mine, at some point I came to the conclusion that it was giving me too much troubles trying to keep it in working order so I sadly decommissioned it (but I could never bare to throw it out so I kept it...as a reminder of really good times 😀).

edit2: I always used it as USB mouse btw.

edit3: It wasn't the ball that wasn't perfectly round I think? But it was the little black rollers iirc.

But despite its flaws I consider the first Boomslang the absolute best ball mouse in existence! It's not a mouse, it's a friggin tiger!!! 😎

edit4: I also got the CE 2007 version but was really disappointed by it and I ended up preferring my antique €2 Logitech ones instead. It actually still had that scroll wheel bug 😵

Last edited by Tetrium on 2017-03-12, 14:03. Edited 4 times in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16185 of 52700, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Looks nice. What is the brand and model?

It is an InterAct Raider Pro.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 16186 of 52700, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vladstamate wrote:

Got this from a local Goodwill for $1.99. It works. I tried it with Kilrathi Saga and Forsaken. I am not sure how to make the 4 base buttons to work, they do not seem to do anything in those 2 games but I presume that is because of the games. It is set up as a 2-axis 2 button joystick in Win 98 (on a P2 @ 400Mhz).

I used to have one of these. IIRC even though it has six buttons on it, only four can be used at any one time, and changing the settings just changes which two buttons are disabled or duplicated. It's been at least 15 years since I last used it though, so I could be mistaken.

Reply 16187 of 52700, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
I still have my Boomslang 1000 and I used mine for years! :D It doesn't work properly anymore as the mouse keys don't work well […]
Show full quote
Darkman wrote:

I still have my Boomslang 1000 and I used mine for years! 😁
It doesn't work properly anymore as the mouse keys don't work well anymore and the ball isn't perfectly round but I ended up preferring this mouse over all earlier optical ones. I completely wore mine out using it and it was one heck of a ride! Have fun! 😁

edit: I actually went up and got it. I remember some of its flaws, the scroll wheel was buggy in that it switching was not calibrated very well (it would activate the scroll right before or only after a "click" and then a bit) and I ended up disabling the side buttons as I continuously kept clicking them by accident 🤣

If the large mouse buttons start to get non-responsive, you can kinda bend them back a little but I already did so many repairs on mine, at some point I came to the conclusion that it was giving me too much troubles trying to keep it in working order so I sadly decommissioned it (but I could never bare to throw it out so I kept it...as a reminder of really good times 😀).

edit2: I always used it as USB mouse btw.

edit3: It wasn't the ball that wasn't perfectly round I think? But it was the little black rollers iirc.

But despite its flaws I consider the first Boomslang the absolute best ball mouse in existence! It's not a mouse, it's a friggin tiger!!! 😎

edit4: I also got the CE 2007 version but was really disappointed by it and I ended up preferring my antique €2 Logitech ones instead. It actually still had that scroll wheel bug 😵

it is a rather odd mouse, but given when it came out, somebody had to make the mistakes , its still a great mouse of course.

I think I may well keep it as USB , but given its being shared between 2 PCs, Im going to either get a KVM switch (which can introduce lag) , or just swap out the cables.

Reply 16188 of 52700, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shiny!!

Attachments

• IMG_20170312_162733.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20170312_162733.jpg
    File size
    627 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_20170312_162557.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20170312_162557.jpg
    File size
    701.78 KiB
    Views
    File license

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 16189 of 52700, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought a Texas Instruments 486SXL2-66 3.6V in the PGA-168 format for $16.5. I'm wanting to see if there is any difference between these and the SXL2 in the PGA-132 format. I'm also wanting to test this chip in a 386 motherboard using one of those PGA-132 to PGA-168 interposer boards. If it works, then I'm hoping to benchmark it at 2x40 and 2x50 MHz.

TI486SXL2-G66-GA.jpg
Filename
TI486SXL2-G66-GA.jpg
File size
38.83 KiB
Views
File license

(photo taken from online)

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 16190 of 52700, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

Bought a Texas Instruments 486SXL2-66 3.6V in the PGA-168 format for $16.5. I'm wanting to see if there is any difference between these and the SXL2 in the PGA-132 format. I'm also wanting to test this chip in a 386 motherboard using one of those PGA-132 to PGA-168 interposer boards. If it works, then I'm hoping to benchmark it at 2x40 and 2x50 MHz.

TI486SXL2-G66-GA.jpg

(photo taken from online)

How can I find such PGA-132 to PGA-168 interposer? Is it universal or mobo-specific?

Reply 16191 of 52700, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure and not sure. There was a guy from, IIRC, from Washington state selling two different brands of these 386 to 486 interposers on eBay. He had a dozen or two of each type. It was announced on Vogons and within a month, they were all gone. I bought one of each style. User Anonymous Coward bought one and tested it. He said it worked, but I sorta recall some caveats and not sure if those caveats were specific to his system. I haven't gotten around to testing mine yet.

Reply 16192 of 52700, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There were many such adapters made. Some are motherboard specific, and others are universal. Some claim to be for certain systems, but work in just about anything. Finding one might be a bit of a problem. Last year there was a seller unloading dozens of them at next to nothing, and they were all snapped up.

The one that I have worked with several CPU types, included the am5x86 (I think Cyrix 5x86 also worked on my board) if an extra VRM is used. The only problem is that you will need to find a way to hook up the cache flush line. Supposedly you can either use the i385 cache socket, or an ISA slot. If you can tap the correct pin on your motherboard chipset (if it integrates cache controller), you could do it that way too. I didn't have enough time to play with mine, so I could not get the L1 cache working.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 16193 of 52700, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

There were many such adapters made. Some are motherboard specific, and others are universal. Some claim to be for certain systems, but work in just about anything. Finding one might be a bit of a problem. Last year there was a seller unloading dozens of them at next to nothing, and they were all snapped up.

The one that I have worked with several CPU types, included the am5x86 (I think Cyrix 5x86 also worked on my board) if an extra VRM is used. The only problem is that you will need to find a way to hook up the cache flush line. Supposedly you can either use the i385 cache socket, or an ISA slot. If you can tap the correct pin on your motherboard chipset (if it integrates cache controller), you could do it that way too. I didn't have enough time to play with mine, so I could not get the L1 cache working.

Do you mean I need to connect MEMW# on the ISA bus to the MEMW# on the CPU (input)? The difference I can see between the 486SXL PGA-132 and 486SXL PGA-168 is that the PGA-168 version has the flush circuit built into the CPU, whereas the PGA-132 package does not.

And does the BL3 have the cache flush circuit onboard? If so, perhaps it needs the same MEMW to MEMW connection?

Looking at Appendix D from the TI486SXL datasheet, I see that for boards to support the TI486SXL AND the 486SX, there are a lot of differences with regard to jumpers and how the pins are connected. I can see why most, if not all, PCI 486 boards do not have support for the PGA-168 TI486SXL2. If I had to guess, I'd say that these PGA-132 to PGA-168 interposers were designed with the 486SX/DX models in mind rather than the TI486SXL2.

Reply 16194 of 52700, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I now have an original Microsoft Windows Sound System card on the way. (EDIT) - store I ordered from contacted me and said that they don't actually have this card. 😢
41206-003__40966.1474051299.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

I also picked up form the same place another card that has wavetable built in. It is a Crystal/Opti setup. It is quite different from the ones I already have as the patch set is supposed to be different, it has a crystal chipset and also uses an Opti chip for the synth.

41208-003__44886.1474051312.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2017-03-13, 19:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16195 of 52700, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just recieved package... swapped for some of my cards...

Two GUS Clones
1. Boxed, mint contition CoreDynamics Sonix Wave
2. Philips PCA761AW

GUS collection is sill growing... 😀

Attachments

• BATYRA_DynsSonix_Phillips.jpg
    Filename
    BATYRA_DynsSonix_Phillips.jpg
    File size
    227.95 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Batyra's CoreDynamics Sonix Wave + Philips PCA761AW (2x GUS PnP clones).
    File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 16196 of 52700, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:
I also picked up form the same place another card that has wavetable built in. It is a Crystal/Opti setup. It is quite different […]
Show full quote

I also picked up form the same place another card that has wavetable built in. It is a Crystal/Opti setup. It is quite different from the ones I already have as the patch set is supposed to be different, it has a crystal chipset and also uses an Opti chip for the synth.

41208-003__44886.1474051312.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Hmm... not sure what the YAC512 clone chip (LS215) is doing there if the card uses the OPL3 clone on the 82C925 chip. Perhaps the synth chip outputs digitally?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 16197 of 52700, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What a purchase! I just bought an IBM PS/2 Model 60 tower for 50$. It was listed locally and there was hardly anyone interested. I thought it would score higher price, but no.

It's a 286 processor (PGA package) @ 10mhz. I don't know if there are any interesting expansions. It comes with 2(!) IBM mono CRT monitors and original Model M Keyboard (silver label).

2e111b5f420fb235abdfddde8525_zpscibcmenk.jpg

Reply 16198 of 52700, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This showed up this morning and will be going into my 200mmx machine.

Terratec EWS64s card with an unknown size simm module. Came with manuals but unfortunately no Driver CD. Does anyone have this they could upload or know where I can get it?

P36cDrql.jpg