VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 16781 of 52747, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ordered another piece of hardware, an ASUS AGP-V7700/32M Geforce 2 GTS. My first non Geforce 2 MX card

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-AGP-V7700-32M-V7 … %3D222481234495

The Seller still have more cards

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 16782 of 52747, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rein_ein wrote:

Bringing some pci-e heresy back again,i recently picked Asus 8800 GTX,with bit damaged plastic on blower but working at least.
Cost me 5$

Awesome! Be sure to apply fresh paste, those damn things get hot iirc.

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 16783 of 52747, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rein_ein wrote:
Bringing some pci-e heresy back again,i recently picked Asus 8800 GTX,with bit damaged plastic on blower but working at least. C […]
Show full quote

Bringing some pci-e heresy back again,i recently picked Asus 8800 GTX,with bit damaged plastic on blower but working at least.
Cost me 5$

LFt5Wzkl.jpg
IPuzTlFl.jpg

Good timing getting that. 8xxx series cards are now moving from the "old and useless" price bracket to the "collectable" price bracket. $25 shipped was common for 8800GTX's January 2016 when I got my XFX 8800GTX XXX edition. There slowly creeping into the 30-40 dollar range now. Not surprising, in 10 years I'm sure we'll being seeing V5 5500 prices for the 8800 series. This card basically revolutionized the industry when it came out. Nothing could touch it for a while after came out AFAIK.

Again, replace the thermal grease (I recommend one of Arctics Silver line pastes based on prior experience), and make sure the fan is running at the correct speed.
Also, you may want to look into whether or not yours is among the cards that were affected by the infamous lead-free solder issue that absolutely plagued the 8800 series. If it is, I recommend you keep it's usage to a minimum and make additional cooling modifications.

If your not well educated in its performance and relevancy, I ran Skyrim on Ultra @ 720p for a decent amount of time on mine. This card had a very long life span and I would say compatibility wise it's probably the best dual DX9/DX10 build suited card out there due to the support for older drivers than the 9xxx/GTX 2xx series cards. I noticed that somewhere in 2008 they changed something in the driver's that causes DX9 games to not play very nicely with the card. Random CTDs and Artifacts.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 16784 of 52747, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@psychz
@TheAbandonwareGuy

Thanks for reply,yep i gonna apply new paste as soon as gonna use it.
And yes,i know about "lead-free" plague,i had few 8800 and few 6800 series cards that died from it.
Fresh example is 8800 GTS 512,that i obtained about half year ago,not dead but again started artifacting.
As for future plans for that card i thinking about ultimate 3-sli with amd 4x4 platform not for сontinuous use,just for few benches and games on open "bench table" and after probably disassembly it back to the boxez

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 16785 of 52747, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
psychz wrote:
rein_ein wrote:

Cost me 5$

Awesome! Be sure to apply fresh paste, those damn things get hot iirc.

I use Afterburner to under-clock mine to the minimum possible when not gaming and have a 90mm fan blowing air straight for its intake. It still hovers around 50C with the fan going at 80%.

In gaming, with stock speeds and fan going 100% I can barely keep it around 90. No wonder they're becoming so rare.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 16786 of 52747, by .fantasista.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Good timing getting that. 8xxx series cards are now moving from the "old and useless" price bracket to the "collectable" price bracket. $25 shipped was common for 8800GTX's January 2016 when I got my XFX 8800GTX XXX edition. There slowly creeping into the 30-40 dollar range now. Not surprising, in 10 years I'm sure we'll being seeing V5 5500 prices for the 8800 series. This card basically revolutionized the industry when it came out. Nothing could touch it for a while after came out AFAIK.

Five or six years ago when I started buying old hardware nobody seemed to be interested in anything after DX8, now if recent posts are anything to go by even newer hardware is starting to become collectable. What I find interesting is that you could run Skyrim on ultra on a card that at the game's release would have been five years old. I remember reading posts on here about how the rapid advances in technology during the 90s made that decade's hardware interesting, whereas the pace of hardware development slowed down in the 2000s, making newer hardware supposedly less interesting. What's making older DX 9 and 10 cards collectable now?

Reply 16787 of 52747, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
.fantasista. wrote:

What's making older DX 9 and 10 cards collectable now?

I would say that TheAbandonwareGuy correctly compared it with v5 5500,that it is more close to the desire to assemble the top system or to have the top hardware, which it was at the time of its release.But for example you wasted or missed it for some reason like not enough money,it was upgraded etc.
Not counting the ultra, which was the overclocked version of this card it's the top segment.

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 16788 of 52747, by .fantasista.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rein_ein wrote:
.fantasista. wrote:

I would say that TheAbandonwareGuy correctly compared it with v5 5500,that it is more close to the desire to assemble the top system or to have the top hardware, which it was at the time of its release.But for example you wasted or missed it for some reason like not enough money,it was upgraded etc.
Not counting the ultra, which was the overclocked version of this card it's the top segment.

Ah, makes sense, that's why I built a v5 5500 system myself. Wish I could have started buying the hardware I'm interested in back when it was still in the "old and useless" price bracket as TheAbandonwareGuy put it. 😒

Reply 16789 of 52747, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got these cards last time.

• 1. Gainward FX5900XT (not with org. cooler anymore but with the interesting copper cooler from zalman)
    2. Asus 7800 GTX (looks like the heatsink + fan that was sold by arctic cooling during this time..., but the worse thing: it's smelling like from a smoker's house)

e4W6WIy.jpg

WopUQ2C.jpg

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 16790 of 52747, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rein_ein wrote:
.fantasista. wrote:

I would say that TheAbandonwareGuy correctly compared it with v5 5500

This comparison is probably the most stupid thing I have heard in a long time. The 8800 series is more or less a soulless mass-produced GPU lineup from a company that not even remotely holds the same cultic worship by the customers than 3dfx does to this very day. Don't get me wrong here, nVidia did some very good engineering over the last 2 decades but their products of the recent years are absolutely not comparable with a V5 5500 in terms of collectability.

Last edited by blurks on 2017-04-30, 15:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16791 of 52747, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
blurks wrote:

This comparison is probably the most stupid thing I have ever heard in my entire life. The 8800 series is more or less a soulless mass-produced GPU lineup from a company that not even remotely holds the same cultic worship by the customers than 3dfx does to this very day. Don't get me wrong here, nVidia did some very good engineering over the last 2 decades but their products of the recent years are absolutely not comparable with a V5 5500 in terms of collectability.

Meant about each period correct high end,not about what best or worst,nor rarest 🤣
For me i'd like have both but now only 8800

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 16792 of 52747, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rein_ein wrote:

Meant about each period correct high end,not about what best or worst,nor rarest 🤣

I mainly referred to AbandonwareGuy's initial statement, the 8800 series will yield similar prices than a V5 5500. I highly doubt that. Not only were they produced in much higher quantities, they don't really stand out that much. They were good graphics cards but they didn't revolutionize anything.

Reply 16793 of 52747, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Munx wrote:

In gaming, with stock speeds and fan going 100% I can barely keep it around 90. No wonder they're becoming so rare.

Decided to try an Arctic Accelero L2 Plus on mine, fan constantly 100% (connected directly to the PSU). It certainly keeps it cool, but it made the card warp a bit, and it covers many PCI slots 😜

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 16794 of 52747, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blurks wrote:

I mainly referred to AbandonwareGuy's initial statement, the 8800 series will yield similar prices than a V5 5500. I highly doubt that. Not only were they produced in much higher quantities, they don't really stand out that much. They were good graphics cards but they didn't revolutionize anything.

Probably right, even with all the cards that died due to solder issues.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 16795 of 52747, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
blurks wrote:
rein_ein wrote:

I definitely think the 8800 GTX series will be "remembered". But the main issue is they were produced in mass quantities. Personally, I got a PNY 8800 GTX 768MB for $15 shipped just 2 months ago. Maybe if there is a special edition "Ultra" SKU, it would be worth a lot one day.

Reply 16796 of 52747, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been on a spree lately..... Pictures will come.

C64 model C for 36 dollars, untested (hope it works).
Near mint condition late-era AT case for 15 dollars.
Compaq Presario CQ60-210EO laptop in mint condition for 15 dollars.

Pictures will come.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 16797 of 52747, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
blurks wrote:
rein_ein wrote:

I definitely think the 8800 GTX series will be "remembered". But the main issue is they were produced in mass quantities. Personally, I got a PNY 8800 GTX 768MB for $15 shipped just 2 months ago. Maybe if there is a special edition "Ultra" SKU, it would be worth a lot one day.

Uh... There is an Ultra SKU. The GeForce 8800 Ultra. Bigger cooler, faster clock, and even more heat. The cheapest I've seen one of these sell for is 40 shipped and that was a while back. They don't show up reasonably priced often. Everybody forgets the XFX version came OC'd to near ultra speeds. That being said XFX's Ultra version came overclocked past the normal Ultra speeds so I guess you could consider that you're "special SKU". I've never personally seen one. I think the top cards from the DirectX10 era in terms of desirability in the future will be the 8800 Ultra, the 9800GX2, the GTX 280, and the GTX 295. There are a few 8800 "Ultras" listed on eBay ATM but the cooler looks wrong for an Ultra (That being said there OEM so they might have just recycled the GTX/GTS cooler). The cheapest correct looking one is 90 USD and buyer pays shipping.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 16798 of 52747, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just bought this beauty.

The best Windows 9x card of all (all things considered). The price was ~20 euro + ~6 euro shipping.

The seller claims to have tested the card with Furmark. My V9950 ULTRA 256M ran at over 100C when gaming before I upgraded it's cooler. I wonder how hot it gets in Furmark, I know the cards throttle temp is 140C. 😀

Asus V9950 ULTRA 256M Geforce 5900 Ultra 256MB (the sellers picture)

Asus V9950 ULTRA 256MB Geforce FX5900 Ultra.jpg
Filename
Asus V9950 ULTRA 256MB Geforce FX5900 Ultra.jpg
File size
102.32 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The temperature threshold for throttling.

d73Image001.jpg

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.