Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 17200 of 52906, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cj_reha wrote:
Went to a local computer shop again (another one, not the one that's closing :P ) and got some cool stuff. […]
Show full quote

Went to a local computer shop again (another one, not the one that's closing 😜 ) and got some cool stuff.

- Boxed 586 cooler (probably Socket 5/7)
- RAM cooler module (for overclocking RAM and keeping them cool? Not sure.)
- Adaptec SCSI card, PCI
- Sound Blaster Audigy SB0090
- "take me home" PS2 mouse
- Generic PCMCIA desktop reader? with ISA controller card
- 4 PS/2 to AT converter cables

In total it was like $47, their clearance aisle is full of cool stuff. 🤣

Thats an Audigy Platinum EX. The highest of the original Audigy line. The audio Quality of that thing is insane as is the power level of the amp. I use one in my Pentium 4 rig. Great card.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 17201 of 52906, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Come to think of it....
Wasn't the entire fiasco caused by some idiots in Taiwan attempting corporate espionage and stealing/copying a bad/incomplete formula or some such similar idiocy?

That's what I remember...but it could have just been a really good rumour for all we know.

Reply 17202 of 52906, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When there's 50 minutes left on an item you REALLY WANT and you're praying it doesn't go above your budget...

5631f353b5539.gif

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 17204 of 52906, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

7c32c6f453835f2de2da0c119ee5dcdc.jpeg

Despite paying twice as much as I actually hoped to, I am both delighted and apprehensive. The main reason for this is that I'm hoping I've won a rare (completely undocumented on the 'Web) PC clone but it could be a completely useless pile of shit. The prospect of having something no one's ever seen before was too great. Some teaser pics from the seller:

s-l500.jpg
Filename
s-l500.jpg
File size
15.87 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
s-l1600 (3).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (3).jpg
File size
267.23 KiB
Views
File license
s-l1600 (5).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (5).jpg
File size
326.62 KiB
Views
File license
s-l1600 (6).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (6).jpg
File size
323.9 KiB
Views
File license

WHAT IS IT?????

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 17205 of 52906, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks interesting...there seems to be the CPU on an ISA card (the 2nd card with external keyboard connector) and a backplane installed as motherboard with a propieritary power connector. Then a floppy controller (1st card), EGA Video and BNC Network.

Reply 17206 of 52906, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

Looks interesting...there seems to be the CPU on an ISA card (the 2nd card with external keyboard connector) and a backplane installed as motherboard with a propieritary power connector. Then a floppy controller (1st card), EGA Video and BNC Network.

Indeed. I'm looking forward to finding out what CPU it is (I'm guessing V20 or 8088). You think EGA rather than CGA? I think the floppy controller doubles as general I/O and obviously there's a RAM card too which could be further populated. If not Intel I guess it's probably a Zilog system for CP/M. Without software it could be useless.

Reply 17207 of 52906, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Almost sure its EGA...insite you can see the feature connector, outside the 2 RCA jacks and the DIP switch..have several of these cards. So from the age I would say early 80286, but its 8 bit only..so most probably 8088.

Reply 17209 of 52906, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Postman left few packages for me today...

First: I've recieved clones-clone a Vitex Ulti-Sound that is clone of Primax Soundstorm M16-C (both cards on photo)
Second: WaveBlaster II (in picture compared with my WaveBlaster I)
Third: SuperSocket 7 Gigabyte GA-5AX rev. 4.1 (what CPU would be better for it? K6-2+ 570 or K6-III+ 450)?

Attachments

• BATYRA_K6-III+450APZ_K6-2+570ADZ.jpg
    Filename
    BATYRA_K6-III+450APZ_K6-2+570ADZ.jpg
    File size
    324.28 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    K6 2+ and III+
    File license
  • BAYTRA_GA-5AX_4.1.jpg
    Filename
    BAYTRA_GA-5AX_4.1.jpg
    File size
    840.79 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Gigabyte GA-5AX r 4.1
    File license
  • BATYRA_Waveblaster_I_II.jpg
    Filename
    BATYRA_Waveblaster_I_II.jpg
    File size
    527.72 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    WaveBlaster II
    File license
  • BATYRA_PRIMAX-M16-C_ULTI-SOUND.jpg
    Filename
    BATYRA_PRIMAX-M16-C_ULTI-SOUND.jpg
    File size
    752.19 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Primax Soundstorm M16-C and its clone Vitex Ulti-Sound
    File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 17212 of 52906, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a new white ATX case for $35 + $1 shipping. Apparently I got the last one https://www.nexhi.com/en/nexhi-case-atx-front … mid-tower-beige

Anyone know anything about this case?

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 17213 of 52906, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey 😊

Got this in a thriftstore today:

n33.jpg
Filename
n33.jpg
File size
99.3 KiB
Views
File license

It's an IBM PS/2 Note N33 SX circa January 1992. 386 SX/16, 6 MB RAM (maxed out), probably a 40MB hard drive but I'm not positive because the machine won't detect it -- not sure what's up with that. Booting from floppy works. Cost me $35 including a bunch of floppies. Quite happy! 😀

Reply 17214 of 52906, by peklop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Batyra wrote:

Postman left few packages for me today...

First: I've recieved clones-clone a Vitex Ulti-Sound that is clone of Primax Soundstorm M16-C (both cards on photo)

Wow. Two "basic" altrasound cards with different mixerchip package.
But Vitex brand is unknown for me. And i googled unsuccessfuly, only some fragments:

https://en.indotrading.com/merek/vitex/soundcard_183/
- brand from Indonesia?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/vite … HU/ten8T8pBW58J
- Vitex sold waveblaster cards too

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/vite … uY/j7-Djz8PFpEJ
- sold in Poland? "Wojciechowski" is polish name but who know if he is polish citizen or emigrant descendant.

Reply 17215 of 52906, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
einr wrote:
Hey :blush: […]
Show full quote

Hey 😊

n33.jpg

It's an IBM PS/2 Note N33 SX circa January 1992. 386 SX/16, 6 MB RAM (maxed out), probably a 40MB hard drive but I'm not positive because the machine won't detect it -- not sure what's up with that. Booting from floppy works. Cost me $35 including a bunch of floppies. Quite happy! 😀

Is that floppy drive a 2.88 one? The print on the eject button is too small to read 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 17216 of 52906, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
einr wrote:
Hey :blush: […]
Show full quote

Hey 😊

n33.jpg

Those symptoms would be consistent with a dead Hard Drive. My guess is it was dropped while running causing a head crash. Shutting the lid too hard can do it as well (I've done that once myself).

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 17217 of 52906, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While I figure out how bad I borked my new 486, I found this guy for $2!

Had no idea what it is...had to google it (an IBM Artic card, still no idea what it's used for). I just bought it cause it had an 80186 CPU chip that I've never had before 😀

Attachments

• DSC_4631.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_4631.JPG
    File size
    2.84 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSC_4630.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_4630.JPG
    File size
    3.15 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 17218 of 52906, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I've picked up package with this card - MSI GeForce FX5900XT for roughly 10 USD. It will need only some heatsink cleaning and new thermal paste just to be sure. Bought from previous (and the only) owner, who had it from new - he bought it back then for about $280, seems little high for me as it was released as midrange card with 6800 series already on the market. But who cares, I've never had a Geforce FX card before and the higher models are somewhat more difficult to obtain here (no wonder, when ATi 9700/9800 were cheaper to buy here and also faster).

DSC02089.JPG
Filename
DSC02089.JPG
File size
520.36 KiB
Views
File license

EDIT: pardon me for a silly question, but those FX cards with heat spreader weren't supposed to have some thermal paste? Or I am unlucky again? Removed the heatsink and found the chip itself and the cooler without a thermal paste. In fact there was no residue left, not a minor one on the PCB or so. There are some black dots on the heatspreader, but it is not a paste, I wasn't able to clean them. Maybe the previous owner was very good at cleaning it, but I really doubt it due to the fact, that the fan was pretty dusty...

DSC02091.JPG
Filename
DSC02091.JPG
File size
385.56 KiB
Views
File license

At least the fan is now as good as new 😎

DSC02093.JPG
Filename
DSC02093.JPG
File size
449.37 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by mv_cz on 2017-05-31, 09:39. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 17219 of 52906, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@peklop - great reaserch still... I also haven't heard of this brand before - didn;e even knew the did anything alse.Yes, card was bought in Poland and it traveled trough fev collections before it foun its place in mine.

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl