Rank
l33t
probnot wrote:
Predator99 wrote:
I just like to share that I managed to repair this board :-) […]
Show full quote

I just like to share that I managed to repair this board 😀

IMG_0039r.jpg

Soldered a new socket and took the 82A306 from the other board where it was "installed" as 80387...
The cap right beside the socket is als destroyed and only the half left, but it seems to be working so I will not replace it.

DSC_6444.JPG

8 MB of RAM in such an old board...wow!!

DSC_6443.JPG

What sort of soldering equipment did you use to repair that? It looks quite difficult...

Hehe, If you would have asked my half a year ago I would have told you that this is impossible 😉 The used equipment costs about 15€: A cheap (beginners) desoldering iron with a manual desoldering pump made of plastic 😉

First I removed the plastic parts old socket with a plier. Then desoldered the pins one after one. Then cleaned the holes with the pump. Soldering of the new socket was the easiest and fastest part...

Just try with an old board 😉

Reply 17261 of 52884, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexvx wrote:

Wow indeed. In the US, is it just craigslist and recycling centers? What other options are there?

Look for your local thrift stores. I have one by me that sticks towers up on a shelf in the back for $20 each and have no idea what their internals are. or are worth. Found one with a 8800GTX in it once and a core2quad and 4GB ram for $20. Found a few 486's in there.

FYI though, most good will stores now a days funnel all of their computers to a regional "good will computer store" and usually don't sell them in-store anymore. They used to but not now. And I believe good will has all their older computers crushed lately.

Reply 17262 of 52884, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I like the design too, I have had one for years (not sure if that was this exact type).

Car audio installations (also often by Pioneer) use slot loading. I'm not sure if it is harder on the disks, but I can imagine that the mechanics are more complex/prone to breaking.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:
I got these nice parts: […]
Show full quote

I got these nice parts:

<snip>

Pioneer DVD-105SZ (Slot loading DVD player - hope it still works!)
jar5I5il.jpg

That is a nice DVD player. It has that uncommon late 90s Retrofuturstic look. Beiege and slot loading. I also suspect it's harder on disks though.

1982 to 2001

Reply 17264 of 52884, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vincent_Vega_SA wrote:

Bought an Sapphire X850XT PE pcie-e, my first pcie-e card in my GPU collection. Did some tests and it's working fine. NOW TO find out what to do with it..

Nice!

Haven't purchased much lately, but saw some cheap ESS AudioDrive cards, so I bought two of them. They haven't arrived yet, but are the typical Compaq version.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 17265 of 52884, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Vincent_Vega_SA wrote:

Bought an Sapphire X850XT PE pcie-e, my first pcie-e card in my GPU collection. Did some tests and it's working fine. NOW TO find out what to do with it..

Nice!

Haven't purchased much lately, but saw some cheap ESS AudioDrive cards, so I bought two of them. They haven't arrived yet, but are the typical Compaq version.

A comparison video against Audician 32 and genuine OPL SB16 for opl synth and midi with flac recordings please.. 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 17266 of 52884, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Vincent_Vega_SA wrote:

Nice!

The Compaq Audio Feature Boards are of high quality (great PCB quality, high quality caps and amps. Some also have a volume wheel.

Sidenote: I have a Audio Feature board and soldered the 26-pin proprietary wavetable header and attached a proprietary Compaq-Wavetable addon card. Sounds quite nice for its nize. I really think ESS had some neat solutions of great value for the money.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 17268 of 52884, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Yeah I like the design too, I have had one for years (not sure if that was this exact type).

Car audio installations (also often by Pioneer) use slot loading. I'm not sure if it is harder on the disks, but I can imagine that the mechanics are more complex/prone to breaking.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:
I got these nice parts: […]
Show full quote

I got these nice parts:

<snip>

Pioneer DVD-105SZ (Slot loading DVD player - hope it still works!)
jar5I5il.jpg

That is a nice DVD player. It has that uncommon late 90s Retrofuturstic look. Beiege and slot loading. I also suspect it's harder on disks though.

Try finding a compaq 24X slot loading drive that works. That's why mast 4800 series don't have the door on them anymore. One of these days i'll fix mine and post up the belt sizes needed for repair.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 17269 of 52884, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vincent_Vega_SA wrote:

NOW TO find out what to do with it..

Build a shrine for it. On a serious note, X850XT was not so interesting for PCI-E, but you can try to find crossfire version for some experiments.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 17270 of 52884, by Vincent_Vega_SA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:
Vincent_Vega_SA wrote:

NOW TO find out what to do with it..

Build a shrine for it. On a serious note, X850XT was not so interesting for PCI-E, but you can try to find crossfire version for some experiments.

Thanx for advice. Already tried to search for crossfire edition x850xt but it's really rare and not so used even at the time when it was released. And those custom crossfire cable is almost impossible to find... But I'm patient 😀

Reply 17271 of 52884, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a Socket 462 PC for a highly extortionate price of 1 Euro.

P_20170604_203944.jpg
Filename
P_20170604_203944.jpg
File size
1.85 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I didn't really need any more socket A stuff and it's just a basic 1666MHz Axp with a GF MX440, however what caught my eye were the power connectors:

P_20170604_203319.jpg
Filename
P_20170604_203319.jpg
File size
2.07 MiB
Views
File license

And the motherboard was reporting a healthy looking 5.05V on the 5V rail with the 12V one not looking so great.

P_20170529_183155.jpg
Filename
P_20170529_183155.jpg
File size
1.82 MiB
Views
File license

The PSU powering it was pretty darn gutless...

P_20170604_202307.jpg
Filename
P_20170604_202307.jpg
File size
2.47 MiB
Views
File license

...so I assumed it was really one of those rare 462 boards that power the PSU from the 12V rail (yay!). However after disconnecting the 4pin plug the PC booted up just fine anyway.

Does this mean it still uses 5V for the CPU? The board is a Shuttle AK37 and I can't find much documentation on how its powered, so if someone ever came across this board and have any info on the CPU power, I'd be really appreciate it.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 17272 of 52884, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a box full of computer parts for 5 bucks at a garage sale. It contained all of the internals for a Pentium 60 Packard Bell. They didn't have the case, but at least they still had the PSU.

It has an integrated vesa local bus Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434-HC-D with 1 meg of vram( 2 upgrade sockets ) and 24 megs of system ram. Everything worked, was kept in static bags, and it just needs a new CMOS battery -- which I'll replace once I buy a real soldering iron and get in lots of practice. 😀

This is the motherboard:
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/520r.htm

I noticed that the heatsink seems to have been glued onto the Pentium. I was wondering if there's some way to remove this? Or maybe it's just super dry somewhat clear paste? I would like to apply newer thermal paste once I get around to cleaning this up and putting it into a case.

Attachments

• packbell_screen.jpg
    Filename
    packbell_screen.jpg
    File size
    2.58 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Needs a new Battery.
    File license
  • packbell.jpg
    Filename
    packbell.jpg
    File size
    2.97 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Somewhat dusty motherboard.
    File license

Reply 17273 of 52884, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Predator99 wrote:

Hehe, If you would have asked my half a year ago I would have told you that this is impossible 😉 The used equipment costs about 15€: A cheap (beginners) desoldering iron with a manual desoldering pump made of plastic 😉

First I removed the plastic parts old socket with a plier. Then desoldered the pins one after one. Then cleaned the holes with the pump. Soldering of the new socket was the easiest and fastest part...

Just try with an old board 😉

Oh, I'm no stranger to soldering 😀 ...I initially thought that was surface mount and you had access to some expensive reflowing station or something. Nice job though, that is a tedious job.

Reply 17274 of 52884, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Munx wrote:
Got a Socket 462 PC for a highly extortionate price of 1 Euro. <snip> […]
Show full quote

Got a Socket 462 PC for a highly extortionate price of 1 Euro.
<snip>

...so I assumed it was really one of those rare 462 boards that power the PSU from the 12V rail (yay!). However after disconnecting the 4pin plug the PC booted up just fine anyway.

Does this mean it still uses 5V for the CPU? The board is a Shuttle AK37 and I can't find much documentation on how its powered, so if someone ever came across this board and have any info on the CPU power, I'd be really appreciate it.

Yes, even with the P4 connector on some socket 462 motherboards they still heavily convert from the +5v rail in all of them. I don't technically know why some socket 462 boards even have the p4 +12v power connector. As you saw by unplugging it most of the cpu's don't even use it at all.

Reply 17275 of 52884, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MCGA wrote:
I bought a box full of computer parts for 5 bucks at a garage sale. It contained all of the internals for a Pentium 60 Packard […]
Show full quote

I bought a box full of computer parts for 5 bucks at a garage sale. It contained all of the internals for a Pentium 60 Packard Bell. They didn't have the case, but at least they still had the PSU.

It has an integrated vesa local bus Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434-HC-D with 1 meg of vram( 2 upgrade sockets ) and 24 megs of system ram. Everything worked, was kept in static bags, and it just needs a new CMOS battery -- which I'll replace once I buy a real soldering iron and get in lots of practice. 😀

This is the motherboard:
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/520r.htm

I noticed that the heatsink seems to have been glued onto the Pentium. I was wondering if there's some way to remove this? Or maybe it's just super dry somewhat clear paste? I would like to apply newer thermal paste once I get around to cleaning this up and putting it into a case.

Sweet find! If that board is LPX it shouldn't be too hard to find a compatible case. Hopefully. Try warming up the CPU with a hairdryer on the highest setting until you are able to twist the heatsink off.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 17276 of 52884, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Munx wrote:

If you got a multimeter you can try measuring the resistance between the 12V connector and the capasitors on the edge of the board (I guess the are for filtering on the 12V/5V side). Nice board BTW, I kind of like VIA chipsets.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 17277 of 52884, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Munx wrote:

None of these socket A boards actually use the 4 pin 12v plug for the CPU. They run the CPU off the ATX connector, witch is why it's very important you get a PSU with a strong 5v rail regardless if the board has the 4 pin CPU connector or not.

Reply 17278 of 52884, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

None of these socket A boards actually use the 4 pin 12v plug for the CPU. They run the CPU off the ATX connector, witch is why it's very important you get a PSU with a strong 5v rail regardless if the board has the 4 pin CPU connector or not.

So very true that!

I remember working on a PC for somebody that had a Socket A board with a dead PSU. They wanted me to install an older really cheap looking PSU as a temporary stopgap measure, until they could get around to purchasing a new replacement. Against my better judgement I agreed and warned them to replace it within a few days at most - they ignored me and lo and behold a couple of weeks later the PSU and motherboard were toast. 🤣

Reply 17279 of 52884, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
Munx wrote:

That's not true, at least not for the Abit NF7-S. The reason why you can run boards without the 12V connector is that the 12V wire from the ATX connector are connected to the 12V connector on the board.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel