VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 17740 of 52886, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But if you would know that the real price of your dream Lambo is around 1/10 of it's "normal" price on ebay, wouldn't you buy it on ebay, would you?

Reply 17741 of 52886, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i would. definitely resell it immediately. ive bought hardware in the past for the specific reason of resell. but they were always bid auctions, and they always were to pay for other retro parts.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 17742 of 52886, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

i would. definitely resell it immediately. ive bought hardware in the past for the specific reason of resell. but they were always bid auctions, and they always were to pay for other retro parts.

I've done the same.. the hardware prices are all about supply and demand.

Where I am at, it is pretty much impossible to get hardware older than Core 2 era. The recyclers very rarely every get anything older in and nobody else tends to sell older stuff locally.

It has been at least 6-7 years since I have found any older hardware that people were throwing out. The thrift stores generally only have Pentium 4 or newer stuff for silly prices. It has been about 3-4 years since I was able to get anything older than that for a decent price from a thrift store.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17743 of 52886, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Batyra wrote:

Just received beautiful Roland bundle SCM-10AT with MPU-401 and SCB-7... brand new, cables are still sealed.
I also got a funny motherboards GA-586SGM super socket7 on SIS chipset...

Wow on the Roland card. It's basically factory new. The box even. Great find!

Reply 17744 of 52886, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

I've meant it the other way, but nevermind i get it. Pity that overseas shipping is so high, having friends near recycling center nearby could earn some extra money 😁

Reply 17745 of 52886, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

That Electromyne shit worries the hell out of me. I'm afraid that's site is the beginning of commercialized overpriced retro computing. They want nearly £100 for $40 dollar cards like V3 3000s. The idea for a site like that (I thought) should be to have the lowest prices on the net for that stuff. There are a couple of vintage PC YouTubers advertising for there shitty overpriced European only service too.

Companies like Electromyne are cancer as they drive up the prices to where people are priced out of the market and everyone else is left with fewer options much like the housing bubble has done to Gen X and millennials.

My advice to people who have smaller collections or just getting started you better get at it quick before the prices sky rocket and you are priced out.

I totally agree with that. The same thing happened to console retrogaming ~10 years ago. Do you people think things were worse 10 years ago on this domain ? I don't think so. Back then I though that with time I could have everything I want. Ten years later, I know that it's not possible anymore. Back then I was very young (at the moment I'm 19 years old so 19-10 ... You get it ...) so I didn't have a lot of money but as time passed I thought I'll have enough money to buy what I wanted later. Now it's been 2-3 years that I didn't buy any retro console game. Now I can buy many more retro things at the same time as for me things are cheaper than retro console games were even 10 years and that I didn't want to repeat the same mistakes. My collection grew very quickly and now I've got very sweet things to enjoy

appiah4 wrote:

Good call. I'm in the market for a Voodoo 1 these days and I can't believe the prices they go for lately.

I sold a Voodoo 2 for 45 GBP this week and it made me feel dirty - but I can hardly replace it at that cost myself even if I tried to, so I don't know what to do either.

Do you undercut eBay/electromyne prices when selling?

To avoid this, I intend to exchange things I 'm not using against things I really want. For example, I've got a black IBM PS/1 with a 386SX25 that I do not use, but I'm pretty sure somebody can give me something that is more interesting to me than this PS/1. This won't make the prices to rize and yet I'll be able to obtain what I wanted. All I really need there is time. Even if that computer would be worth 10000€ even though I must have paid ~5€ for it, since the prices are getting up approximatively at the same speed, what I would desire would be worth the same price so that's not a problem

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 17746 of 52886, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought complete and boxed copies of a V4 4500 and a V5 5500. Price was a steal. Super stoked about it.
Seller wanted to get rid of both together, while I just needed the V4. I guess, I own two boxed V5's now... 😁

Reply 17747 of 52886, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Throwing PCs away is illegal in my worthless state (Thanks the State of Illinois) so I never find them. Instead there all sent to a regional recycler thats county controlled and the county forbids items from local reuse. I know a couple of private scrappers but they rarely have anything good. I'm also rural which compounds the issue because tech moves a bit slow around here.

Throwing away PC's damn well should be illegal. Lots of toxic items made from older PC's.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Every free PC I've gotten has been some bottom of the barrel configured OEM machine with IGP.

Well no sh1t. Most PC's sold are low end OEM crap. So it's sure as hell not surprising that most PC's you find from recyclers are OEM PC's. From venturing to my local recycler, it's greater than 100:1 OEM:Custom PC's. And of those custom PC's, probably 1 in 5 are decent. Of those OEM PC's, probably 1 in 100 are configured to near max/max specifications. So out of 1000 PC's, we're looking at maybe 15 PC's that you could harvest the 'collectibles' from (e.g. Best in-era video card, CPU (Extreme/Old FX), sound card, enthusiast motherboard).

Reply 17748 of 52886, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
blurks wrote:

Bought complete and boxed copies of a V4 4500 and a V5 5500. Price was a steal. Super stoked about it.
Seller wanted to get rid of both together, while I just needed the V4. I guess, I own two boxed V5's now... 😁

WOW! Nice find! Grats!

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 17749 of 52886, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any CIB 3dfx card is worth it. Even my boxed V5 5500 still lacks a driver CD and possibly a slip or two of documentation.

Meanwhile, I revisited this one local shop where I got a lot of my old parts before - a Turtle Beach Montego II, 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP (not the boxed one, that came much later), GeForce FX 5950 Ultra and GeForce 6800 Ultra AGP, as well as a couple of Dell AT101Ws.

Sadly, the AGP card supply seems to have largely dried up there, as I didn't see the usual old video card bin in its usual place... but I found another box with a pretty intact-looking XFX GeForce 6600 AGP. Not the best of AGP cards by any stretch, but the goal here is to reflash it for my MDD Power Mac G4 so I have a Core Image card.

And speaking of MDDs, here's something that makes me hate Goodwill corporate policy right now:
MDD_G4_denied_by_Goodwill.jpg

I tried talking an employee into letting me buy it. He consulted a manager. No dice.

Reply 17750 of 52886, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just bought myself a Yamaha TG300 MIDI module. 😁

Why that one, and not a later MU unit? Well, besides the GM modes it also has AWM2 synthesis where you can make your own sounds from up to 2 each of 195 included waves, which the MU units lack (unless you get a MU128, MU1000, or MU2000 + one of the very expensive expansion cards, which would cost me much more). On top of that it has various effects that can be entirely customized, its MIDI implementation is very extensive, and it has a nice big screen. Essentially it seems to be a somewhat simplified TG500 without the card slots.

Reply 17751 of 52886, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow nice cases, a shame.. I wish I could find beige cases in such good condition around here, the ones I find are either terribly filthy (one had rat shit in it) or incredibly yellowed 🙁

Anyway, I got these today, not sure if they qualify as hardware?

med_gallery_60983_11505_909819.jpg

75 ATX backplates (69 after discarding 6 that were damaged or rusted, half a dozen of which are new) because one can never have too many backplates.. right?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 17752 of 52886, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
Wow nice cases, a shame.. I wish I could find beige cases in such good condition around here, the ones I find are either terribl […]
Show full quote

Wow nice cases, a shame.. I wish I could find beige cases in such good condition around here, the ones I find are either terribly filthy (one had rat shit in it) or incredibly yellowed 🙁

Anyway, I got these today, not sure if they qualify as hardware?

med_gallery_60983_11505_909819.jpg

75 ATX backplates (69 after discarding 6 that were damaged or rusted, half a dozen of which are new) because one can never have too many backplates.. right?

I'd say so! Unless people are buying new boards, they are an absolute pain to come across - at least here. Took me ages to find one for my current project that didn't cost an arm and a leg to get posted from overseas.

Good buy in my opinion.

Reply 17753 of 52886, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NamelessPlayer wrote:
Any CIB 3dfx card is worth it. Even my boxed V5 5500 still lacks a driver CD and possibly a slip or two of documentation. […]
Show full quote

Any CIB 3dfx card is worth it. Even my boxed V5 5500 still lacks a driver CD and possibly a slip or two of documentation.

Meanwhile, I revisited this one local shop where I got a lot of my old parts before - a Turtle Beach Montego II, 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP (not the boxed one, that came much later), GeForce FX 5950 Ultra and GeForce 6800 Ultra AGP, as well as a couple of Dell AT101Ws.

Sadly, the AGP card supply seems to have largely dried up there, as I didn't see the usual old video card bin in its usual place... but I found another box with a pretty intact-looking XFX GeForce 6600 AGP. Not the best of AGP cards by any stretch, but the goal here is to reflash it for my MDD Power Mac G4 so I have a Core Image card.

And speaking of MDDs, here's something that makes me hate Goodwill corporate policy right now:

I tried talking an employee into letting me buy it. He consulted a manager. No dice.

The recycling center near our St. Catharines site has 2 G4 MDDs available - a Dual 1Ghz and a Dual 867Mhz on the shelf cleaned up for sale. I really don't need them, but this is one of those cases where I really wish I know people in Southern Ontario who wanted this stuff. I hate seeing it end up in the bins to be recycled.

Reply 17754 of 52886, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LHN91 wrote:
NamelessPlayer wrote:
Any CIB 3dfx card is worth it. Even my boxed V5 5500 still lacks a driver CD and possibly a slip or two of documentation. […]
Show full quote

The recycling center near our St. Catharines site has 2 G4 MDDs available - a Dual 1Ghz and a Dual 867Mhz on the shelf cleaned up for sale. I really don't need them, but this is one of those cases where I really wish I know people in Southern Ontario who wanted this stuff. I hate seeing it end up in the bins to be recycled.

Goodwill is really scummy about that stuff. They send all there valuable electronics/games/computers to regional centers in the big city for resale or to be auctioned off online. Goodwill shouldn't do this, there suppose to be a way for people to get things affordably.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 17755 of 52886, by Alec M

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just bought this today for 95 US cents.
It's a Franklin Computer Spelling Ace SA-98, released circa 198x.

Smaller.JPG
Filename
Smaller.JPG
File size
4.2 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

7pq8f8-2.png

Reply 17756 of 52886, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found an HP Pavilion 7270 system with a hard drive and boots up to Windows 95 on ebay. 166MHz Pentium, 2.5GB drive, CD + floppy. $19 + 19.95 shipping so it cost just under $40. Added a cheap ISA ethernet card, 64MB EDO RAM, and a Number Nine Imagine 128 Series 2 4MB PCI card for $10 shipped.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 17757 of 52886, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well the seller couldn't find my Radeon 32M so I got a refund but the eBay gods have shined upon me:

s-l500.jpg

No clue what the NVIDIA card is. Probably a 2MX of some sort. The left card however I believe is a 3DFX Voodoo3 3000.

The things that get listed as Rage XL PCI cards never cease to amaze me.

$15 shipped.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 17758 of 52886, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Goodwill is really scummy about that stuff. They send all there valuable electronics/games/computers to regional centers in the big city for resale or to be auctioned off online. Goodwill shouldn't do this, there suppose to be a way for people to get things affordably.

I work at goodwill, that's not how we work at all.
Everything computer wise that's not new (some district don't apply) have to send them ether to a IT department or to recycling.
We can't sell anything that could hold personal data for liability risk. Everything ether gets used by our staf or recycled. I been useing a old netbook with 3 missing keys for the last two year when out of the office that was donated.
A few districts have setup departments for selling these kinds of things, one in oregon state sells PC and parts all the time. Other districts may brake the systems down and sell off the parts. Although sometimes stuff slips through the craks and your find a tablet or laptop for sale in store.

In most districts stores do have a percentage of donations that has to go to goodwill2go, this could be anything. But typically it's stuff that doesn't sell well in stores and does well online.

As for moving things to regional centers or inter city stores. We don't have that or do that at all. We are broken up into districts working independent of etch other. Most districts are only a few county's in size but some are large.
But like any retail company we do move inventory around of it fail to sell at one store.

Reply 17759 of 52886, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
I work at goodwill, that's not how we work at all. Everything computer wise that's not new (some district don't apply) have to s […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I work at goodwill, that's not how we work at all.
Everything computer wise that's not new (some district don't apply) have to send them ether to a IT department or to recycling.
We can't sell anything that could hold personal data for liability risk. Everything ether gets used by our staf or recycled. I been useing a old netbook with 3 missing keys for the last two year when out of the office that was donated.
A few districts have setup departments for selling these kinds of things, one in oregon state sells PC and parts all the time. Other districts may brake the systems down and sell off the parts. Although sometimes stuff slips through the craks and your find a tablet or laptop for sale in store.

In most districts stores do have a percentage of donations that has to go to goodwill2go, this could be anything. But typically it's stuff that doesn't sell well in stores and does well online.

As for moving things to regional centers or inter city stores. We don't have that or do that at all. We are broken up into districts working independent of etch other. Most districts are only a few county's in size but some are large.
But like any retail company we do move inventory around of it fail to sell at one store.

So wait Goodwill employees can take the computers that are donated which they can't sell? Lol I could probably pay someone off to grab stuff for me at my local good will if that's the case.

Also, why don't they just teach one guy to pull hard drives? It's not like it's a complex or time consuming task.